Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

blatham

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:27 pm
First, we take manhattan....
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:50 pm
yes, let's do........
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:52 pm
Quote:
I'm beginning to think Bernie doesn't agree with me on this point.

george love, I'm beginning to think that you're getting the point.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:17 pm
Timber your verse misses the point and substitutes parody for discussion.

I don't blame Canada for anything except becoming a bit tiresome. The real blame game has different objects, and other players.

Blatham,

No one owns Manhattan. However you can have Newark, Yonkers & Patterson too. Hell, I'll throw in Newburgh as well. We get BC.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:27 pm
But george, why would you want BC? It's the hole where liberals are breeding. And the point of safety for any young person who would be sacrificed for an unjust and unnecessary war (unless of course you stand to profit from it.)

If they try to get my grandson or my daugthers, and I expect they will......you can bet I'll drive them as far north as I have to in order to protect them from greedy, gluttonous war mongers.

And Manhattan belongs to me and millions of other liberals like me.

You can have Texas and Oklahoma.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:36 pm
Oh, it was meant as parody, george - its from the decidedly irreverent, occasionally raunchy TV cartoon show Southpark. That show has quite a following, and that song is one of the show's better known bits.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:41 pm
Lola wrote:

One or the other, but not both together. <<shudder>>

Why doesn't Texas fall into the Gulf of Mexico? Because OU still sucks.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:51 pm
Lola, With BC I'd invite in the rest of the folks from Hong Kong and make a killing in a capitalist paradise. Actually the liberals there don't breed well, so the long term trend would be favorable. I'd keep Tulsa & Dallas & environs, but leave both panhandles. (Everything east of Beaumont is really Louisiana anyway.)

Timber - sorry, didn't know. I never saw Southpark - in fact I don't watch much TV at all.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:03 am
Lola wrote:
You can have Texas ...

careful lola. at the rate delay's been redistricting, texas is closing in on the hudson at a gallop.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:26 am
Now there's a thought. We could rename it New Galveston, or better, New Alice.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:34 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Now there's a thought. We could rename it New Galveston, or better, New Alice.

new alice... yeah, that's it. cuz if ya think it's evergonna happen, you're in wonderland.

fagettabowdit. Cool
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:57 am
blatham wrote:
revel

It's a long colorful list.

1) the high courts in five provinces and one territory have found that bans on gay marriage constitute violations of the equality provisions in our constitution.

2) the federal government is making moves to de-criminalize marijuana possession (they may or may not have the balls to do it however, and the US will be quite happy to threaten and push trade sanctions to inhibit such a move...the US ambassador here is a prime **** by the by)

3) Canada refused to join the 'coalition' in Iraq and did so with public statements that didn't land happily on the ears of many yanquis

4) a highup in the PM's office during the prewar period referred to Bush (with reporters about) as a "moron"

5) another highup recently crushed a Bush doll

6) we are bigger

7) we have French people

8) we, in the same sort of large percentage as European countries, think the Bush administration is dangerous to living things

9) we don't buy Coulter's books

Gosh, maybe I should move to Canada. If I had a bush doll I would probably learn to play darts or maybe voodoo.

(just a joke, don't nobody go gittin me a plane, have family that wouldn't want to move out the county we live in much less the country.)
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:47 am
Lola wrote:
If they try to get my grandson or my daugthers, and I expect they will......you can bet I'll drive them as far north as I have to in order to protect them from greedy, gluttonous war mongers.

I'm not sure how many times the cluebat must be dragged out, but the only way your grandson or daughters will be "gotten" is if they v-o-l-u-n-t-e-e-r. Got it? Just an attempt to ease your mind. :wink:

As for Manhattan, consider that if their voters were taken out of the equation, New York would most likely be a red state. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:07 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Lola wrote:

I'm not sure how many times the cluebat must be dragged out, but the only way your grandson or daughters will be "gotten" is if they v-o-l-u-n-t-e-e-r. Got it? Just an attempt to ease your mind. :wink:

As for Manhattan, consider that if their voters were taken out of the equation, New York would most likely be a red state. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm wondering if the big cities create the liberal, or just attract the liberal? ... Has anyone ever studied the effects of urban smog on one's political views?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm
Interesting question, T. If rural areas are more Republican, though, I wonder if it has to do with being comfortable around BS?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:47 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I'm wondering if the big cities create the liberal, or just attract the liberal? ... Has anyone ever studied the effects of urban smog on one's political views?

and while they're at it they should do a study on the effects of rural bullsh*t as well. :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:01 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Interesting question, T. If rural areas are more Republican, though, I wonder if it has to do with being comfortable around BS?

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

and while they're at it they should do a study on the effects of rural bullsh*t as well. :wink:

Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:06 pm
gotta have at least a little fun around here, right guys??
Laughing
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:08 pm
Well, speaking of BS...(and in keeping with the title of this thread)....

Tired of losing? Check in here - The Bag of Dirty Tricks thread.

As we've heard again and again recently, if we are going to beat this bunch of rule breaking GOP misanthropes, we're going to have to start fighting as dirty as they do. I started this thread for one reason, to get everyone's ideas on a list of things we as Democrats can consider to stop the takeover of this country. This isn't going to be a thread for the squeamish, or for the ideologically pure. Best to steer clear if that describes you.

Here are half a dozen ideas to get the ball rolling.

1) Get Republicans fired at your workplace, or fire them yourself if you can - In the belief that all activism starts with the grass roots, do us all a favor, and fire your Republican employees this week. There are legitimate reasons to fire virtually any employee, so avail yourself of them. Not only will it quit the gloating you're hearing around the office, it'll stop those donation checks they are getting ready to write. Might also teach them a bit of humility regarding the poor and the disadvantaged. They can be the "Pioneers" of "Unemployment Window A"

2) Pretend to be a Republican, and then cut down the next Republican that you have a conversation with. - The more public/crowed the place you do this, the better. Use whatever remarks you know are sure to make the intended impression. "You're no better than the liberal scum you claim to hate… get back into the kitchen… Just wait till we win next year and toss peons like you into the field or the workhouse… People in your income bracket don't have the right to be Republican or vote etc." If you need talking points, just observe in a Yahoo political chat room for a few minutes and you have all the right wing bile that you can use and quite possibly all that you can stand.

3) Create, plant and disseminate widely "news stories" that discredit GOP policies - A good way to do this is to print out stories in the visual style of a major newspaper or magazine (don't use the logo or other copywrited material, however) and theme them similarly to the ones that targeted John McCain's platform last presidential election. Make sure not to slander individuals directly. Leave stacks of the printouts where people are certain to find them - i.e. supermarkets, coffee houses, bars, community centers etc. As in #2 make sure to write these from the right wing perspective, for maximum effect on the target audience. Avoid digital media, as it's too easy to fact check, not that most GOP voters care to check these things anyway.

4) Contact the IRS and anonymously tip them off regarding prominent GOP contributors in your area. - Lets face it, they are likely tax evaders in any case (that's why they are GOP), so might as well have them go thru an audit and feel a bit of what it's like to have a hostile government prying into their affairs. The tax money you shake free will be a little payback to your community for the egregious tax cut they undoubtedly are enjoying.

5) Make sure that you're the only ride on voting day for a group of hard right types who live out of the way, and then don't show up. - This works best in low population density areas and poor right wing communities. Cultivate a group of right wing friends and make sure they depend on you for the ride on Election Day. Then don't show up. Every vote they miss is an uncontested vote on the blue side of the aisle. The right needs a taste of Florida 2000.

6) Impersonate Linda Tripp. - Whisper into the ear of GOP associates to encourage and get dirty laundry regarding their improprieties, and then make sure that information gets into the wrong hands. It's hard to brag about family values or think about politics when you're in a divorce court.

Are you really serious about winning the culture war? Do you mean it when you say it's time to fight fire with fire? Then channel that anger and let's hear some ideas. Given the thin skin of most conservative ideologues, it won't take much to have them running far away from such policies and tactics so we can all enjoy proper, principled political discourse in the country again. First, however, they need to be taught that fighting dirty burns them as much as it burns anyone.

BTW- if you want to take action beyond the intellectual consideration of these ideas, please do so on your own. This thread is meant for the mental exercise of these ideas. Don't involve DU

Source of BS Laughing
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:08 pm
It may well be that familiarity with the substance in question improves one's ability to detect its rhetorical equivalent.

I suspect also that accomodation to urban life, particularly under relatively dense conditions does indeed have something to do with average political behavior.

However, there are the counter examples of Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taipei - densely populated places that are also centers of conservative economic and political values.
0 Replies