Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:22 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Well, speaking of BS...(and in keeping with the title of this thread)....

Tired of losing? Check in here - The Bag of Dirty Tricks thread.

aw, c'mon jw, admit it, the one about putting the "treason" cover on al franken's book is funny. :wink:
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:25 pm
Laughing Razz Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:07 pm
Am I the only example in the world of a red neck christian liberal that lives in a very rural part of Kentucky?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:11 pm
revel, you've seen the maps. nearly every state was split nearly evenly. there aren't really any blue or red states. they're all shades of purple.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:30 pm
revel wrote:
Am I the only example in the world of a red neck christian liberal that lives in a very rural part of Kentucky?

'pends what ya consider "very rural", briar... :wink:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:31 am
Ticomaya wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
Lola wrote:
If they try to get my grandson or my daugthers, and I expect they will......you can bet I'll drive them as far north as I have to in order to protect them from greedy, gluttonous war mongers.

And Manhattan belongs to me and millions of other liberals like me.

You can have Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm not sure how many times the cluebat must be dragged out, but the only way your grandson or daughters will be "gotten" is if they v-o-l-u-n-t-e-e-r. Got it? Just an attempt to ease your mind. :wink:

As for Manhattan, consider that if their voters were taken out of the equation, New York would most likely be a red state. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm wondering if the big cities create the liberal, or just attract the liberal? ... Has anyone ever studied the effects of urban smog on one's political views?
[/b]

I asked my question in response that comment. I also asked because I do live in a rural part of Kentucky and I know that a large majority of folks around me have views more in line with most of the conservatives that are here in a2k. For instance yesterday I was in my local beauty shop and you just could't get any more red neckish but in a nice country way than that place. There was a bunch of women all getting their hair done and two of their husbands come in with their hunting clothes on talking about what (I don't hear so good so I don't get all of it) what they managed to kill. It is a mess in there, I feel the urge to get a broom and start cleaning the place up, but no one seems to be aware of it. For the most part I just keep quiet when political issues are brought up or other kind of social issues, and if a black person happened to walk in there I imagine that she would get looked at pretty strangely. My daughter happens to be dating a nice black boy and I wouldn't think about talking about it unless someone brings it up or ask who she is dating or something. A while back I went to see Farinheight 9/11 (I know that is misspelled) and I bet there was only 3 people in the theater. When i stood in line for an hour to see the Passion it was packed.

So while my question was kind of a joke, it was sort of a serious one.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:31 pm
well, revel, i grew up in louisville, but was in a lot of bands and we played all over the region. that was in the early '70s. so instead of iraq, we had the same thing goin' on with vietnam. didn't matter if we played down on dixie highway, e-town, or freak shows around western, there were always lotta rednecks. but also we came across a lot of cool people that just lived in those areas because thay were born there. know where we always got a great crowd and folks were real fun? fort knox! man, those guys wanted to party. never any trouble with the army. sure changed my mind about what some people were sayin' about soldiers at the time. most of them were just a few years older than us.

ya know, i can't remember where it was, but i read an article a few months back about a town over ta eastern ky., where right in the middle of it all, there's a huge community of punk rockers. they're taking a lot of the old mountain music and revvin' it up. supposed to be a big deal. wanna say it was in russel, but can't remember.

so no, i'd have to say that there are cool people everywhere. just have to look for them.

by the way, there are a lot pf places over here where the rednecks run the show. not everyone in california is a "hollywood liberal".

hang in there. :wink:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
well, revel, i grew up in louisville, but was in a lot of bands and we played all over the region. that was in the early '70s. so instead of iraq, we had the same thing goin' on with vietnam. didn't matter if we played down on dixie highway, e-town, or freak shows around western, there were always lotta rednecks. but also we came across a lot of cool people that just lived in those areas because thay were born there. know where we always got a great crowd and folks were real fun? fort knox! man, those guys wanted to party. never any trouble with the army. sure changed my mind about what some people were sayin' about soldiers at the time. most of them were just a few years older than us.

ya know, i can't remember where it was, but i read an article a few months back about a town over ta eastern ky., where right in the middle of it all, there's a huge community of punk rockers. they're taking a lot of the old mountain music and revvin' it up. supposed to be a big deal. wanna say it was in russel, but can't remember.

so no, i'd have to say that there are cool people everywhere. just have to look for them.

by the way, there are a lot pf places over here where the rednecks run the show. not everyone in california is a "hollywood liberal".

hang in there. :wink:

Where you grew up is not that far from where I live, but it is a lot more cityish. If we want to go to a mall we have to travel about an hour, two if we want to go to a decent one. Our biggest attractions are walmart and a local department called "uncle lees." In the community where I live it is even more hick than the rest of the county.

But you are right it is changing some, I couldn't imagine anyone getting away with some of things that the kids are doing now like mixed dating and wearing earings in your eyebrows and tatoos everywhere back when I was growing up here. Maybe the kids in rural areas will change things some. (hopefully without the tatoos :wink: )
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 03:10 pm
A note re rural; the county in which I live got its first-ever stoplight a couple summers ago. It only controls its intersection at certain times, otherwise it blinks red at one road and yellow at the other. Its about 35 miles from where I live.

Tattoos are pretty big hereabouts though. So are 4x4 pickup trucks with huge brush guards, rifle racks, and dog cages.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 06:08 pm
People kill deer on the way to college where I live.

I'm not kidding.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:11 pm
Lash wrote:
People kill deer on the way to college where I live.

Intentionally?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:21 pm
http://1000smilies.com/rudolf.gif
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:49 pm
Heh.

I should have said with guns. But, yes, with cars, too. There are alway a couple on the side of the road on my way to school.

Crawling in deer...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:53 pm
In nearly hit Rudolph very early one X-mas morning as I was tooling along the highway headed home. I managed to swerve and miss him so all the good little boys and girls could get their presents.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:00 pm
I've hit five so far. All in a four year period. I was starting to get a complex--but none since then--about twenty years.

Odd deer story: A local newlywed was returning from her honeymoon-- a truck in the oncoming lane hit a deer--deer flies through the air and comes through her windsheild, killing her.

Damn those deer.

Glad you missed Rudy. He's my favorite.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:07 pm
About 15 years ago we hit a deer and it flew up and over oncoming traffic. I never thought what might have happened if it hit their windshield. We installed deer whistles after that.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:19 pm
Basic vehicle-vs-deer collisions around here aren't even a reportable traffic incident unless there is treatment-necessitating human injury involved. If the hitter wishes to claim the hittee for the meat or hide, there is a Department of Natural Resources form to be filled out though. The unclaimed roadside carcasses are simply moved far enough from the right-of-way as to constitute no hazzard, sprayed with paint to identify them as roadkill, and left for the interested critters to scavenge, We have more than enough deer, and our interested critters are plenty fat. Auto Body Repair shops do real good business locally.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:01 am
timber, lash... happy holidays ! two of my favorite conservatives. mom & pop come in first place, but i'm sure ya understand... :wink:

i'm feelin' it with revel. kentucky is a beautiful, wonderful place. it's one of the few places left where you got cable mtv/fuse kids rolling out "yuh, wuzzup dawg" to somebody that speaks a dialect of english that hasn't changed much in 200 years.

speaking of deer. once we went up to yosemite the last week before the winter closing. went up from the east side and were having a fun time smacking the mountain curves. jeeeeeez. came around a curve only to find 2 full grown and one smaller deer in the middle of the road. man... they looked huge. they hopped, we skidded and all eneded well. but crap... if i'd hit one in a crx? uhh, wouldn't be typin' this.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:22 am
Quote:
I'm not sure how many times the cluebat must be dragged out, but the only way your grandson or daughters will be "gotten" is if they v-o-l-u-n-t-e-e-r. Got it? Just an attempt to ease your mind.

Yes, well, we'll see. Don't make any big bets on it any time soon. I know he promised. Something like, "read my lips, no draft." But just in case Mr. Bush decides his promises were a little precipitous.....I'm keeping the car in good running order for the quick trip North. He's having trouble getting all those he's re-called to report, I believe they may have r-u-n-d-o-o-f.

Now, I have to do some real work today. I've been postponing, procratinating and putting it off........and now I actually have to write this article with a deadline of December 15........so I don't have time today for more put-down game fun. When I'm done, I'll come back and play.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:27 am
DTOM--

Smile

Merry Christmas! Happy Hannukah! Great Kwanzaa! May You Miss All The Deer.
0 Replies