Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

McTag

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:52 am
I see the Pres is currently wowing the Canadians.
This text I think has the unusual quality of being able to amuse both Rep and Dem.

CANADIAN FARMERS NEAR U.S. BORDER SYMPATHETIC TO PLIGHT OF
TEXAS AND ARIZONA RANCHERS NEAR MEXICAN BORDER

The flood of American liberals sneaking across the border into Canada has intensified in the past week, sparking calls for increased patrols to stop the illegal immigration.

The re-election of President Bush is prompting the exodus among left-leaning citizens who fear they'll soon be
required to hunt, pray and agree with Bill O'Reilly.

Canadian border farmers say it's not uncommon to see dozens of sociology professors, animal-rights activists and Unitarians crossing their fields at night.

"I went out to milk the cows the other day, and there was a Hollywood producer huddled in the barn," said Manitoba farmer Red Greenfield, whose acreage borders North Dakota.

The producer was cold, exhausted and hungry.

"He asked me if I could spare a latte and some free-range chicken. When I said I didn't have any, he left. Didn't even get a chance to show him my screenplay, eh?"

In an effort to stop the illegal aliens, Greenfield erected higher fences, but the liberals scaled them. So he tried
installing speakers that blare Rush Limbaugh across the fields.

"Not real effective," he said. "The liberals still got through, and Rush annoyed the cows so much they wouldn't give milk."

Officials are particularly concerned about smugglers who meet liberals near the Canadian border, pack them into Volvo station wagons, drive them across the border and leave them to fend for themselves.

"A lot of these people are not prepared for rugged conditions," an Ontario border patrolman said. "I found one carload without a drop of drinking water. They did have a nice little Napa Valley cabernet, though."

When liberals are caught, they're sent back across the border, often wailing loudly that they fear retribution from
conservatives. Rumors have been circulating about the Bush administration establishing re-education camps in which liberals will be forced to drink domestic beer and watch NASCAR.

In the days since the election, liberals have turned to sometimes-ingenious ways of crossing the border.
Some have taken to posing as senior citizens on bus trips to buy cheap Canadian prescription drugs. After catching a half-dozen young vegans disguised in powdered wigs, Canadian immigration authorities began stopping buses
and quizzing the supposed senior-citizen passengers.

"If they can't identify the accordion player on The Lawrence Welk Show, we get suspicious about their age," an official said.

Canadian citizens have complained that the illegal immigrants are creating an organic-broccoli shortage and renting
all the good Susan Sarandon movies.

"I feel sorry for American liberals, but the Canadian economy just can't support them," an Ottawa resident said. "How many art-history majors does one country need?"

In an effort to ease tensions between the United States and Canada, Vice President Dick Cheney met with the
Canadian ambassador and pledged that the administration would take steps to reassure liberals, a source close to Cheney said.

"We're going to have some Peter, Paul & Mary concerts. And we might put some endangered species on postage stamps. The president is determined to reach out."
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:05 pm
McTag wrote:
liberals will be forced to drink domestic beer

the administration is closing down trader joe's ??? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:06 pm
blatham wrote:

And that thing we call 'intuition' - that little murmur that says 'gosh, something isn't quite right here' - ought to be listened to, because we aren't perfect and our ideas aren't perfect (though many of mine come close).

I like this... a lot. Whether you decide to call it intuition, gut feeling, or your soul response.

Reminds me of something Leonard Pitts said a couple of days ago:
"In your guts, you know he's nuts."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:08 pm
THAT was funny!

Also an interesting concept ......But I feart we couldn't really get them to go, particularly to Alkberta & Manitoba. However, I can readily imagine them finding a home in BC or Ottawa.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:27 pm
Quote:
the administration is closing down trader joe's ???

Hadn't you heard?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:38 pm
Lola wrote:
Quote:
the administration is closing down trader joe's ???

Hadn't you heard?

I mean, they really should, since it's ... GERMAN owned (since 1979, by the Albrecht brothers [owners of ALDI - so we get Trader Joe's products here at ALDI's as well :wink: ].)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
Quote:
I mean, they really should, since it's ... GERMAN owned (since 1979, by the Albrecht brothers [owners of ALDI - so we get Trader Joe's products here at ALDI's as well ].)

This is cool...........do you suppose it's the reason why Trader Joe's doesn't sell Sancerre in California? Hummmmmmmmm........
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:47 pm
They've even opened one in San Francisco - in the Filmore. Well, at least it's not French or Canadian.

German - explains the lack of good California wine - Andronico's has TJ's beat by a mile.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:48 pm
Lola wrote:
Quote:
I mean, they really should, since it's ... GERMAN owned (since 1979, by the Albrecht brothers [owners of ALDI - so we get Trader Joe's products here at ALDI's as well ].)

This is cool...........do you suppose it's the reason why Trader Joe's doesn't sell Sancerre in California? Hummmmmmmmm........

certainly explains the huge endcaps of henningers premium bier!

und warsteiner ! erste qualitat! stimmt das!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Well, at least it's not French or Canadian.

incredible how you mange to get that in on every single topic. it really is quite a talent george. Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:13 pm
If that damned wishy-washy Democrat James K. Polk hadn't backed down on his campaign pledge "Fifty Four Forty or Fight", in most cowardly and duplicitous manner endorsing his lapdog Buchanan's craven, traitorous giveaway, Canada wouldn't be a problem. I move we rescind the Oregon Treaty of 1846 and put this sillyness behind us with all possible dispatch. Enough, enough and long since, of denying our manifest destiny; this continent is ours by divine right!

To Arms! To Arms! Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
timberlandko wrote:
If that damned wishy-washy Democrat James K. Polk hadn't backed down on his campaign pledge "Fifty Four Forty or Fight", in most cowardly and duplicitous manner endorsing his lapdog Buchanan's craven, traitorous giveaway, Canada wouldn't be a problem. I move we rescind the Oregon Treaty of 1846 and put this sillyness behind us with all possible dispatch. Enough, enough and long since, of denying our manifest destiny; this continent is ours by divine right!

To Arms! To Arms! Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

did ya catch ann coulter on hannity and colmes last night? this is one of her best ones yet;

"canada is lucky we let them live on the same continent as the united states".

man! she even repeated it later in the show... wow!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:46 pm
blatham wrote:
It's rare for me to read a post of yours wherein I disagree with nearly everything you've written.

I knew that someday, you and I would settle our similarities and come to a mutual disagreement. Wink I admit it: Just like other people are just completely amusical, I just don't have a microgram of spiritual sentiment in me. That makes me incapable of spending much serious thought on religious questions. The loss is mine, I'm sure.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
Note to Ann Coulter: Brush up with US History and not so current events, then ask yourself two questions. One, Who financed the American Revolution, and two, which Country's Embassy hid US citizens during the Iranian Revolution in 1979?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:
It's rare for me to read a post of yours wherein I disagree with nearly everything you've written.

I knew that someday, you and I would settle our similarities and come to a mutual disagreement. Wink I admit it: Just like other people are just completely amusical, I just don't have a microgram of spiritual sentiment in me. That makes me incapable of spending much serious thought on religious questions. The loss is mine, I'm sure.

thomas

Lack of spiritual sentiment or propensity is something I have no difficulty understanding, having been a card-carrying 'atheist' (using the limited and particular sense of that term, ie, not positing a benevolent Creator) since 12 or 13. Yet if one is interested in the subject of politics, of how people in community do or should organize themselves, then I think 'religious' institutions become a necessary component of the study because such are ubiquitous and have so commonly been inextricable from structures of governance, or, for much or our history, identical to them with, often, most unhappy results for liberty and advancement of thought.

I must tell you though that your position goes a hell of a long way in clarifying why I haven't been able to interest you in the consequences of the religious right's ascention to power.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:29 pm
Ann Coulter...has there ever been a more transparent case of penis envy?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:48 pm
Blatham! Haven't you realized it yet? Ann Coulter is a transvestite. She doesn't have penis envy (well, not any more than the rest of us). No, not simple penis envy. She's just mean.........and completely insensitive to her external environment. Everytime that woman opens her mouth, I sit in wonderment.........she's a bad neighbor (the kind nightmares are made of).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:21 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Note to Ann Coulter: Brush up with US History and not so current events, then ask yourself two questions. One, Who financed the American Revolution, and two, which Country's Embassy hid US citizens during the Iranian Revolution in 1979?

I would submit that while French support was immensely beneficial to the cause of The American Revolution, Robert Morris, Haym Salomon, and American Privateers, along with Virginia Tobacco Farmers and Carribbean Rum and Sugar entrepreneurs were the chief sources of finance for the Revolution.

Further understanding the why's, wherefores, and ramifications of French support for The American Revolution would be incomplete without study of the relevant 1778 Treaty of Alliance and familiarity with the Quasi War of 1791 - 1800. Some "Gifts" come with a hidden, and usullay quite mercenary, pricetag.

As to question two, who hosted Khomeni prior to, and facillitated, his return to Iran to take the reigns of the Iranian Revolution, precipitating the taking of American hostages?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Some "Gifts" come with a hidden, and usullay quite mercenary, pricetag.

why timber !?!? you're not talking about iraq are you ??? sorry man. just messing with ya... :wink:

you are right though. remember the old '70s bumper sticker back when hitching was so popular; "cash, grass or ass. nobody rides for free".

some rules of nature are timeless. but, america accepted the help of france and it's a little declasse to diminish their role. yorkville ?

timberlandko wrote:
As to question two, who hosted Khomeni prior to, and facillitated, his return to Iran to take the reigns of the Iranian Revolution, precipitating the taking of American hostages?

don't remember. that must have been france rather than canada, no? do you think that france (and most of europe) having had a much longer involvement in the arab world has led them to have a much different view and relationship with the middle east?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:25 am
I must of missed something in boycotting the media.

Why is Canada on the list "hates" from republicans now?
0 Replies