Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

Larry434

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
A Democrat campaign manager analyzes the crushing defeat of the Dems in Election 2004.

The author, a Mr. Trippi, who managed Howard Dean's presidential campaign, is a fellow at Harvard's Kennedy School and an MSNBC commentator.

"Since the Democratic Leadership Council, with its mantra of "moderate, moderate, moderate," took hold in D.C., the party has been in decline at just about every level of government. Forget the Kerry loss. Today the number of Democrats in the House is the lowest it's been since 1948. Democrats are on the brink of becoming a permanent minority party. Can the oldest democratic institution on earth wake from its stupor? Here are some steps to pull out of the nose-dive:
• Democrats can't keep ignoring their base. Running to the middle and then asking our base to make sure to vote isn't a plan. And to those who say talking to your base doesn't work--Read the Rove 2004 playbook!

• Democrats must reconnect with the energy of our grass roots. One of the failures of the DLC was that its ideas never helped us build a grass-roots donor base. As a result, Democrats held a lead over Republicans in only one fundraising category before this election cycle: contributions over one million dollars. That shows how far the party had strayed from grassroots fundraising before the Dean campaign. We must build a base of at least seven million small donors by 2006. With the Internet it's possible. But it can't just be about the money, it also has to be about ideas.

• The one thing we learned in the Dean campaign was that the 30 people in Burlington weren't as smart as the 650,000 Americans who were part of our campaign. Instead of a DLC in D.C., Democrats should be holding Democratic Grassroots Councils in every county. Democratic National Committee members in each state, along with the state party, should host and moderate these meetings to develop ideas that come from the people, instead of the experts in D.C.

• A party that ignores the needs of state and local parties is doomed. We must begin to invest aggressively in states we continually write off in national elections. If we don't, the decline of the party in these states will continue until we're non-existent. Look at the south.

• In a world in which companies like Wal-Mart pay substandard wages with no real benefits, our party has got to find innovative ways to support organized labor's growth. A declining union membership is not good for the country, it's not good for working people, and it certainly isn't good for the Democratic Party.

• The Democratic Party has to be the vehicle that empowers the American people to change our failed political system. We all know the damn thing is broken. Democrats should lead the way by placing stricter money restrictions on candidates than the toothless Federal Election Commission does. A party funded by contributions from the people can do this. A corrupted and corroded party cannot. The Democratic Party shouldn't wait for campaign-finance reform--it should be campaign-finance reform.

• Finally, what is the purpose the party strives for today? What are our goals for the nation? You couldn't tell from the election. Very few good ideas come from the middle, and they tend to be mediocre. Consultants have become adept at keeping candidates in that safe zone. But the time has come to develop bold ideas and challenge people to sacrifice for the common good. Experts will tell you that you can't ask the American people to sacrifice individually for the common good. Those experts are wrong--it's just been so long since anyone has asked them."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:10 am
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
Trippi seems more concerned with what's good for The Democratic Party than with what's good for The Nation, and seems clueless as to how to go about engaging The Electorate. Thats not too surprising - that's exactly the way The Democratic Party has managed to get itself into its current state.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:36 am
Timber wrote:
Quote:
Trippi seems more concerned with what's good for The Democratic Party than with what's good for The Nation

Quote:
And to those who say talking to your base doesn't work--Read the Rove 2004 playbook!

And Rove is concerned about what's best for the Nation? Let me read that book again..........

Quote:
A party that ignores the needs of state and local parties is doomed. We must begin to invest aggressively in states we continually write off in national elections. If we don't, the decline of the party in these states will continue until we're non-existent. Look at the south.

We should do it just like they did, from the bottom up. And we should do it beginning now.

Quote:
But the time has come to develop bold ideas and challenge people to sacrifice for the common good. Experts will tell you that you can't ask the American people to sacrifice individually for the common good. Those experts are wrong--it's just been so long since anyone has asked them.

It worked for the New Right so why not for the New Liberals? Values.....we should be talking values. You don't have to prove the value of values. It's all sales........whichever side can be more convincing wins. And if we put our minds to it, we can sell our values as well as they can. Two can play this game.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:46 am
Quote:
Trippi seems more concerned with what's good for The Democratic Party than with what's good for The Nation, and seems clueless as to how to go about engaging The Electorate. Thats not too surprising - that's exactly the way The Democratic Party has managed to get itself into its current state.

Look, win or lose, it doesn't do any good to 'engage the electorate' in the way that the Republicans did, because what you are basically doing is telling them what they want to hear.

Unfortunately, what people want to hear bears little resemblance to reality....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:58 am
Trippi couldnt even make Dean win the primaries, and yet he is now lecturing the Democratic leadership on how to reconnect with the party's grassroots and win all of the electorate?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:00 am
Quote:
It takes place after Galilei revoked his astronomy under pressure from the Catholic Church. Andrea is disappointed because he had expected his master to stand up and fight for Copernican astronomy, damn the inquisition. The exchange culminates in the following two lines.

The inquisition impeded the development of science then and our present day inquisition impedes it now. True, Thomas.........I believe you can't stop progress. But it's also true that you can slow it down considerably, delaying the benefits to all mankind.

Galilei was speaking, I believe, of a country's need for self-sacrificing martyrs........and on this topic I agree. I prefer to stay to fight another day as well. However there is something to be said for courage in the face of challenge........in this case, again, as in that of Galileo Galilei, it is a challenge to progress itself. The difference in then and now is that we have made enough progress so that we can courageously speak up without fear of sure death.

But speaking up is not enough. We have to be convincing about it.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:10 am
Quote:
Unfortunately, what people want to hear bears little resemblance to reality....

Does anyone here know anything about the fine art of answering objections? People want to feel good about themselves.....they want what they want, but the form the wanting takes can be variable. It's called "felt needs" marketing. We have to convince them that our values are desirable. This method is far superior, in my mind, to changing our values. And there are techniques for the purpose of convincing. Karl Rove knows how. Let's use his knowledge to our advantage for a change.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:06 pm
Lola wrote:
But speaking up is not enough. We have to be convincing about it.

Not exactly ... bein' convincin' ain't at all the same as bein' correct, and The Electorate knows - and acts on - that difference.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
Correctness, darling Timber, IMO is not absolute. So we're left with the polish on the apple. My values are as good and as "correct" as your's. Actually, I prefer mine and so do plenty of other people.

I value the freedom to doubt and the progress it makes possible. Rules and regs alone are about compliance. And compliance and submission are not values in which I want to invest. Sorry.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:13 pm
Quote:
Not exactly ... bein' convincin' ain't at all the same as bein' correct, and The Electorate knows - and acts on - that difference.

Jesus, Timber, get off your high horse!!!

Winning does not equal being correct and you know it; else, how do you explain when Democrats win? That they were actually correct? I doubt it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:17 pm
When a Democrat wins, Cyc, sufficient of The Electorate felt that Democrat's stand to be correct enough to merit award of office. That's good enough for me. Should that Democrat be re-elected, or should that Democrat's office remain in Democratic Party hands over successive elections, that's fine too. However, ain't been much of that happenin' for a while now. Actually, I'd prefer rough legislative parity; logjams are tough to push spending bills through.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:19 pm
And that's what I'm talkin about, Timber, convincing the electorate of the function of our values. It has been done and can be again.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:26 pm
Quote:
Actually, I'd prefer rough legislative parity; logjams are tough to push spending bills through.

Apparently it's hard to do when the same party controls everything as well....

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&tab=nn&ie=UTF-8&q=spending+bill&btnG=Search+News

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:28 pm
That's the point, Cyc .... a single pork recipe seems to generate lots more pork than competing pork recipes.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:35 pm
Yes, but one must enjoy the taste of pork in order to benefit, I think.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:04 am
Thomas wrote:
Blatham --

I don't know how familiar Americans are with Berthold Brecht, who happens to be one of my favorite dramaticians. In one of his plays, "The Life of Galilei", there is an exchange between him and his student Andrea. It takes place after Galilei revoked his astronomy under pressure from the Catholic Church. Andrea is disappointed because he had expected his master to stand up and fight for Copernican astronomy, damn the inquisition. The exchange culminates in the following two lines.

Andrea: "Hapeless is the country that has no heroes."
Galilei: "No, hapeless is the country that needs heroes."

This seems to sum up nicely how we disagree about religions which have no intellectuals. The doctrines that make religions valuable are immediately obvious to me without much intellectual elaboration: Love your neighbor, respect your elders, don't steal from, nor lie to, nor cheat on, nor kill each other, and don't covet other people's stuff. Conversely, it seems immediately obvious to me that everything else is best discarded without much intellectual elaboration. In either case, intellectual elaboration of religious questions seems like a waste of brains and time to me. Worse: The perceived need for such elaboration indicates that the religion is in trouble, just like it indicates trouble when a country is beginning to need heroes.

So when evangelical Americans feel they don't need such elaboration, I agree with them rather than count it against them, as you appear to do. (But I grant you that I would disagree with them about the stuff to be discarded of.)

thomas

It's rare for me to read a post of yours wherein I disagree with nearly everything you've written.

First, the sort of rules for happy social life you enumerate can and do stand quite happily outside of any theological framework. To suggest that they, or something like them, constitutes the core of religious belief/practice would be imprudent. They are rational statements which pretty much any social group would arrive at (and have arrived at) in negotiating how to co-exist...rather like the manner in which any culture which developed individually-piloted automobiles would also pretty predictably develop stop signs and speed limits. So I agree that such rules, functioning for the general good, are social positives. But they aren't 'religion'.

Such rules, though, may gain an added heft through linking them into a truly religious framework, that is, through fitting them into a schema of sacred/profane or through insisting that such rules are not merely the product of human rationale and experience but that they are originated from a supernatural source, therefore immutable.

Note that where such rules are developed outside of a religious framework, they are quite open to analysis and re-negotiation. Where they evolve within a religious framework, they become much less malleable. And here is the problem. A thing is right or it is wrong, a thing is sacred or profane not as a consequence of rational thought and experience, but as a consequence of immutable authority. And there's the problem. So Darwinian evolution cannot possibly be factual because it stands in contradiction to a literal reading of Genesis. Or gay relationships cannot possibly be morally ok because a literal reading of a single passage in scripture speaks against it. Or all other religions must be false because a sacred text claims that it alone represents truth.

It's a bit odd to find myself forwarding catholic history as an example of open-mindedness (Galileo, as you and george point to is the more common situation) but it is accurate to do so when comparing to the evangelical community in America over the last few hundred years, even if much of such analysis sought only to support existing presumptions and dogma.

For example, catholicism has (beginning very early) taken up the challenge of trying to explain how it could be so that evil might exist where god is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-benevolent. That's a real philosophic problem for anyone who bothers to face it. In contrast, the American evangelical tradition has been far happier with the avoidance of 'God works in mysterious ways'.

It is the above element of religious belief and practice which I abhor and abhor with passion. It isn't merely pre-enlightenment, it is pre-Greek. The great gift the Athenian Greeks gave us was the liberating notion that truth wasn't necessarily in the possession of authorities, who were not to be trusted, but that truth was available to each of us through our rational minds.

Clearly, the temptation to fall back on authority has a psychological component. Equally clearly, the temptation to organize a social group using such immutable authority has advantages for 'order' and 'coherence', and (this is important) it has clear advantages in maintenance of existing social hierarchies. Nero wasn't merely leader, he was god-stuff. George Bush isn't merely a leader (to many evangelicals), he is god-stuff.

Earlier, you resisted agreeing to any descriptor other than 'bad guys' to describe the folks who wish to organize this society in the above manner. That is simply not adequately discerning or explanatory. Whether one might find 'authoritarian' or 'fascistic' or some other term more accurate, some such term is indeed appropriate.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:15 am
georgeob1 wrote:

And here, I find myself agreeing with a theistic Irish war-mongering maniac.

"Truths" ought to be held as 'best present thesis', subject to re-evaluation. Any other stance leads to an abrogation of self and self-governance.

And that thing we call 'intuition' - that little murmur that says 'gosh, something isn't quite right here' - ought to be listened to, because we aren't perfect and our ideas aren't perfect (though many of mine come close).
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:20 am
At one time a majority in our country felt it was ok to own slaves, that did not make it right. It is the same now, in my opinion. I don't know if things will ever turn in a more moderate direction. However whether it changes or not will not affect the correctness of the prevailing policies and philosphies of thought.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:23 am
My God! Literal and visceral agreement with Blatham on such an issue!

There is balm in Gilead, and hope for the man.

I know we have different perspectives on even other aspects of this thought, but it is good to note this important element od agreement.
0 Replies