Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:30 pm
nimh wrote:
So to translate the above in normal people language, Saddam did not actually have any WMD, but was in theory still able to make new ones - which it didn't, because it was trying to co-operate with the inspections, but which it would start doing again as soon as the sanctions were gone.

I believe you mistranslate. The way I read the report, while no stockpiles were found, neither was any sense of " ... trying to co-operate with the inspections ... "; another quote from The Report; "The Regime made a token effort to comply with the disarmament process, but the Iraqis never intended to meet the spirit of the UNSC's resolutions.", along with this;
Quote:
... contrary to sanctions and requirements, and beyond the awareness of the UN inspection teams, Iraq continued development, domestic manufacture, foreign acquisition, and operational deployment of proscribed conventional weapons systems of various nature.

The report concluded that Iraq persisted in defiance of relevant Security Council Resolutions, that Iraq's dual use facillities could within " ...a matter of days produce substantial quantities" of proscribed agents, using " ... materials on hand" and that Iraq's assets, capabilities, and intentions posed an ongoing threat to both regional and global security."
rather contraindicate the validity of your core supposition.

But then, mebbe that's just me.

Along with the nearly 60 Million folks who voted to retain The Incumbent and increase Republican legislative representation :wink:
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:37 pm
Thomas and george,

I believe you must be sadly right about the intent of the Founding Fathers.......pity. However just because they didn't identify agnosticism as a religion doesn't mean it isn't one. Each family has a right to teach their own children about that family's beliefs about religion and none of us deserves to have our children taught anything about religion other than to instruct children in school to consult their parents on such matters.

There are many children who are shamed and seriously frightened by religious practices (like prayer, etc) in school when these practices are not consistent with the practices of their own families.

Quote:
Nor do I think,

Quote:
The Conservative Evangelical Christian movement is determined to impose their religious beliefs on everyone, not just in the US but on the entire world

george,
You always astound me when you say such things. Do your research, or better yet, sit down and talk with a few of these fundamentalist evangelical leaders. You talk to them for a short while. It won't take you long to see the error of this belief of yours. Or maybe a few Sunday sermons. On this account you are seriously naive indeed. I can get you some information on this, but I don't have time right now. Maybe later.

Quote:
Our laws forbid murder. That for many religious people is an article of faith. That fact does not invalidate their support for laws prohibiting murder.

You don't have to have any religious faith at all to believe that murder is not to be allowed. It only follows. However, the idea that abortion is murder is entirely dependent on a certain religious teaching.

Abortion is not murder. Murder implies malice and I think there are very few abortions performed for the purpose of malice. Abortion is killing, I agree. However there are many cases in which killing is deemed necessary in any society. Abortion is only one such case. Self defense comes to mind. Freedom fighting is another endorsed by many Christians on this board and in many fundamentalist churches. The rational for murder in the form of capital punishment is often a belief based on a verse from the Bible. An eye for an eye.

I don't endorse capital punishment as a legitimate form of murder, but most states do it anyway. George Bush smirks when he talks about murdering criminals. I don't use a verse from the Bible to back me up. I just think it follows logically that murdering criminals only makes the crime problem worse. Further, in the case of capital punishment, the motive is almost always malice. We could talk about this subject for a long time, but I think I'll stop at that. If we are to discuss abortion, we'll need a new thread.

[edited twice for misspelled words]
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:44 pm
Anyway, the subject here is what to do next. As I've said already, we have to find a way to speak (and sell) to the non-fanatic Christians and other open minded voters about our liberal values without feeding into the propaganda they've already been fed by the stealth tactics of the fanatics.

We must learn, sadly, from Karl Rove and Ralph Reed.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:15 pm
Lola wrote:
However just because they didn't identify agnosticism as a religion doesn't mean it isn't one.

No it doesn't, agnosticism is not a religion regardless of what the founding fathers may have thought of it.

Lola wrote:
Each family has a right to teach their own children about that family's beliefs about religion and none of us deserves to have our children taught anything about religion other than to instruct children in school to consult their parents on such matters.

I seriously hope this concidered with you considering agnosticism a religion doesn't mean you would refuse to allow schools to teach evolution, heliocentrism, geological history and such.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:33 pm
Quote:
The report concluded that Iraq persisted in defiance of relevant Security Council Resolutions, that Iraq's dual use facillities could within " ...a matter of days produce substantial quantities" of proscribed agents, using " ... materials on hand" and that Iraq's assets, capabilities, and intentions posed an ongoing threat to both regional and global security."

I keep seeing this portion quoted and I keep wondering..... if they had the capability to "in a matter of days produce substantial quantities" then why didn't they? They had months of drumbeating by the Bush administration after the inspectors had taken their leave, it was obvious to the most casual observer that Bush intended to invade, but the Iraqis .........didn't make a teaspoon of proscribed agents.... so odd. It's as if they really didn't have any capability at all, just determined intentions. Dangerous perhaps but not even close to the imminent threat they were claimed to be.

Carry on.

Joe
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:15 pm
All Saddam would have had to do was let the inspectors do their job and yet he didn't do that.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:21 pm
Good, good, now substitute Saddam with Bush. Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:
All Saddam would have had to do was let the inspectors do their job and yet he didn't do that.

Such frequency of 'do' is simply not done.

Please stop talking about WOMD. I beg you. If you have any mercy in your hearts, please stop.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:11 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

I keep seeing this portion quoted and I keep wondering..... if they had the capability to "in a matter of days produce substantial quantities" then why didn't they? They had months of drumbeating by the Bush administration after the inspectors had taken their leave, it was obvious to the most casual observer that Bush intended to invade, but the Iraqis .........didn't make a teaspoon of proscribed agents.... so odd. It's as if they really didn't have any capability at all, just determined intentions. Dangerous perhaps but not even close to the imminent threat they were claimed to be.

Carry on.

Joe

What good would using his capabilities do against the American Military? He knew he was toast. Using those weapons would have lent instant justification to the war. Instead he choose to hide them and profess his innocence; he chose to deny justification for the war knowing that by doing so he would gain the sympathy of his neighbors and liberals worldwide.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:43 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
nimh wrote:
Wow, Finn's argumentation skills reach a new height. A fellow Southener says it does exist, Finn says no it doesnt. This is gonna be so exciting! ;-)

Well that's a true Dutch Treat, nimh weighing in on a topic of which he has absolutely no knowledge.

Nah, I'm not weighing in at all - as you can see from what I actually posted, I am merely an excited spectator here. (Heh.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:51 pm
<passing popcorn>
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:55 pm
Einharjar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lola wrote:
However just because they didn't identify agnosticism as a religion doesn't mean it isn't one.

No it doesn't, agnosticism is not a religion regardless of what the founding fathers may have thought of it.

Einharjar,

You have a well developed, if not entirely unique way to choosing the most irrelavant piece of a post for comment. True, agnostiscism is not a religion. But it does have in common with religion an important characteristic. It is a belief about God/no God and represents, for most people who identify themselves as an agnostic, a life guiding principle. To emphasize the important part of my post.........I don't want anyone teaching my children (during and through their lower and middle school years) about their idea of God other than myself or my husband. It's a family matter, clearly.

Quote:
Lola wrote:
Quote:
Each family has a right to teach their own children about that family's beliefs about religion and none of us deserves to have our children taught anything about religion other than to instruct children in school to consult their parents on such matters.

I seriously hope this concidered with you considering agnosticism a religion doesn't mean you would refuse to allow schools to teach evolution, heliocentrism, geological history and such.

As I said in a previous post (the one george and Thomas were addressing),

Quote:
Unless you would like to consider science as a branch of secular humanism, there should be no religion taught in our schools.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:58 pm
<passes Soz the bottle of Coke>

<mutters, oy - stay off of Einherjar! Einherjar is good people.>
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:06 pm
<muttering>

I haven't met einherjar before. I was simply responding to his comments. I think of myself as good people as well. Perhaps I detected a note of petulance in Einherjar's tone and I was responding to that. Anyway, I doubt that Einherjar requires your protection. He seems like a person who can speak for himself. (I think you're good people too.)

Nice to meet you Einherjar. Sorry if I sounded annoyed..........or that is, for being annoyed. Maybe we should try again.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:08 pm
May I have a pass of the popcorn? I'm hungry and really need to relax.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:35 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Dangerous perhaps but not even close to the imminent threat they were claimed to be.

Carry on.

Joe

Despite what others have said, and have said was said, that there was an imminent threat is not what was said. What part of
Quote:
Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike?

If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words and all recriminations would come too late. Trusting in the sanity and restraint of Saddam Hussein is not a strategy, and it is not an option.
do you not understand?

But nevermind ... the popcorn and softdrinks are here. I'm up for a break ... how 'bout you?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:44 pm
Lola, I don't think you ever responded to this.

Lola wrote:
Quote:
To emphasize the important part of my post.........I don't want anyone teaching my children (during and through their lower and middle school years) about their idea of God other than myself or my husband. It's a family matter, clearly.

I'll respond to that as well then. One might find it hard to teach for example history without touching on religion, and as long as only known facts are being taught, and in neutral terms, I don't see a problem. (The Aztecs believed that... sacrifices such and such. The jesuits, jadda jadda, reformation, counterreformation ... Secular humanism arose in the ????s and focuses ... and so on and so forth. As long as no statements are made pertaining to the accuracy of articles of faith, only statements pertaining to the articles of faith themselves, as they actually are/were in certain religions and or denominations I don't see the problem. I see no problem with teaching the verifiable truth.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:56 pm
Lola wrote:
<muttering>

I haven't met einherjar before. I was simply responding to his comments. I think of myself as good people as well. Perhaps I detected a note of petulance in Einherjar's tone and I was responding to that. Anyway, I doubt that Einherjar requires your protection. He seems like a person who can speak for himself. (I think you're good people too.)

Nice to meet you Einherjar. Sorry if I sounded annoyed..........or that is, for being annoyed. Maybe we should try again.

Yes yes, we're all good people. Well I remember running innto you, you were lecturing me (and others) on how the christian right were going to take over the world, and how I should be worried even in Norway where more than half of the population describe themselves as agnostics or atheists. I didn't post anything noteworthy in that thread though, so I'm not surprised you don't remember me.

And don't worry, if that previous post had gotten to me I should not be alowed anwhere near political debateforums.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:57 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Southern schools are far more integrated than their counterparts up North.

Systematic bigotry in the South while being a historical truth is a modern day canard.

Bull. While we keep it more under the carpet than before, it still exists greatly here in the south.

Cycloptichorn

You are simply wrong.

Cycloptichorn is wrong, Finn D'Abuzz is right. The following table appeared in The Economist on January 23, 2003

http://www.economist.com/images/20030125/CUS328.gif

The table is based on a 2002 study by the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee. The Economist's article also points to independently collected data from the Census Bureau, which points in the same direction: Surprisingly, the South is less segregated, not more segregated than the North these days.

As a take-away from this discussion, maybe we can learn that the liberals "educating of ignorant voters" resolution in this thread ought to work both ways.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 07:07 am
Lovely little bit in the New York Observer this morning.

The Family Research Council is warning that if Rudy Guiliani (or any other such 'socially liberal' candidate, think Arnold, think Powell) were to become the Republican candidate next election, that the christian/conservative right will form up a third party. Yes, please. (As you'll see on their site, they are gunning for Arlen Specter again).
0 Replies