Bush supporters' aftermath thread

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:34 am
Allo Allo!

I have been thinking Lola.

The declining dollar is being caused by investment.
Like when a business invests.
As US foreign policy,and domestic policy is merely a matter of putting foreign policy "in form",may be categorised as OUT-REACH then the heavy cost of it these days is due to those who exported our Western (Faustian)scientific knowledge and applications of it to tribes and races who would never have thought of any of it.In a lot of the "westerns" my grandad told me about the gun-runner was always a villain.(BTW-are those movies now banned)(that's TiC).
We wanted to go too fast.Why else didn't Western governments on seeing the industrial revolution get underway place an embargo on science outside it's boundaries like they do now on nuclear technology?
The boundaries were well defined by geographical impasses in the main.Was it greed and impatience.
Are we now paying the price of our forebears faults ?Our science had the whole world by the short hairs and all this trouble is the result of us letting go.Is "Outreach" self defeating unless pursued with patience and responsibility as it would have been if the Holy Fathers had remained in charge of it?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:41 am
Foxy:-

I did study his credentials.His post.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:45 am
Some fathers are holier than others, the question is, which fathers have the best plan. True enough, maybe the religious leaders would have been more scientifically logical than we have been. But since science is repudiated by conservative religion and since the people behind Bush are intent on sending us back to pre-enlightenment, I don't think so. We have to recognize that war has been declared on science and stop twiddling our thumbs.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:50 am
And sweeping statements like that are so off the mark they are nothing short of incredulous. 99% of the church has no war with science whatsoever any more than 99% of the anti-religious are total crackpots. Though I think the anti-religious might have an edge on the church on percentages there.

Spendius, I agreed with Asherman's post so I must be slipshod too. I don't know how old you are, but some of us have been around to witness a lot of stuff and what we know can't be manipulated by a modern press intent on rewriting history to conform to their own ideology.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:55 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't know how old you are, but some of us have been around to witness a lot of stuff and what we know can't be manipulated by a modern press intent on rewriting history to conform to their own ideology.

No fool like an old fool Laughing

(Not aimed at anybody, just remembering it re 'age')
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:01 am
Touche Walter. But some of us old dogs can and do learn new tricks. And maybe at times we are the fool but I think we also have experienced enough and learned enough to usually recognize foolishness when we see it. Smile
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:07 am
Many have found fault with Rove's public relations approach in selling GW. But I'm not one of those. We Faustians, those of us who value the freedom to doubt need to look back and learn from history. The problem isn't how an idea is sold, all communication is sales of a sort. We're all trying to influence the other to do something. We want what we want and we're all trying to get it.

The important question to consider is what are the merits or limitations, even dangers in whatever idea is being sold. We have to face this logically and then use sales (an appeal to the limbic system of the masses) i.e., use an emotional appeal to win the power necessary to implement the idea.

It's up to us to win this through persuasion. If there are some Holy Fathers who can join us in this effort, that's great. But whoever choses to fight the anti-enlightment forces currently in control, must face the reality of how people are convinced. Then we have to do what we have to do (sell our ideas and values) to fight against the cultural lag represented by this anti-science administation.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:11 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And sweeping statements like that are so off the mark they are nothing short of incredulous. 99% of the church has no war with science whatsoever any more than 99% of the anti-religious are total crackpots. Though I think the anti-religious might have an edge on the church on percentages there.Spendius, I agreed with Asherman's post so I must be slipshod too. I don't know how old you are, but some of us have been around to witness a lot of stuff and what we know can't be manipulated by a modern press intent on rewriting history to conform to their own ideology.

Who is making sweeping statements now?

And Walter, that's the closest I've seen you come to rudeness. You Europeans are so polite!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:15 am
Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If we coin the term "pro-enlightenment" before we can be labeled "anti-religious" (example, "pro life," in contrast to "anti-choice") we'll be in the position of advantage.

We better stop sitting around and do something now.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:26 am
See you all tomorrow.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:28 am
Lola wrote:

And Walter, that's the closest I've seen you come to rudeness. You Europeans are so polite!

<aide memoire: when conspiring with McTag this week, do some more training, to get lifted up to US-standards on this topic as well>
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:32 am
Anatol Lieven, in his book which I'm ordering today, quotes a survey in 2000 which found that white evangelical protestants made up 23.1 percent of the population; Catholics, the largest Christian group, were 27.3 percent.

The 23.1 percent Fundamentalist Evangelical Christians (which has grown since 2000) are, according to Lieven, pre-Enlightenment in origin and anti-Enlightenment in substance. Modern science and rational thought are highly suspect in these churches. The tendency by the Fundamentalists to define reality as a choice between good and evil, right and wrong is anti-scientific at it's base, because it repudiates the value of proof by observation and the need to question the authority of what are considered to be "facts." Without doubt there is dogma.

If, Foxfire, you don't consider yourself to be anti-enlightenment, then you're a member of the people who have been convinced. And you're a person who can be persuaded to see the problem as it exists today. But somehow I doubt you're one of those who can be influenced by logic and the willingness to question.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:46 am
Lola wrote:
If we coin the term "pro-enlightenment" before we can be labeled "anti-religious" (example, "pro life," in contrast to "anti-choice" we'll be in the position of advantage.
Interesting you'd make that distinction so soon after praising Spendius for his petty attack on Asherman for making the same point. Asherman clarified that no sane person is really "pro-war" even if they agree with the action in Iraq... just as I've only met one person who admitted to being "pro-abortion". For his trouble, Asherman was accused of contradicting himself, with your unconditional enthusiastic approval. While I didn't see any contradiction in Asherman's words, the hypocrisy I just pointed out is rather glaring.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:26 am
spendius wrote:

I wouldn't get too carried away with Asherman's post if I was you.It is very slipshod and naive and contributes nothing new to anything. ……

"Hitler wasn't provoked" is a ridiculous thing to say.
The German people were provoked into electing him by the economic situation resulting from WW1,a circumstance we managed to learn from after WW2.And the idea that Islamic terrorists have no cause is equally ridiculous.They have a cause from their point of view and they have suicide missions to demonstrate how strong they feel it.
Asherman is still dreaming up utopias.The bald assertions in para three are plenty proof of that.The jury is out on all of them.Asherman's logic suggests that surveillance of Libya is a waste of manpower.
And the jury is still out on whether the US have "gotten(sic) good value".
Then just to unwind the whole thing study the use of the word "victorious" and the concluding sentence which is a traditional justification for war.

Actually Asherman's post was a compact, reasonable and persuasive statement of a widespread point of view about the intervention in Iraq and situation there; neither slipshod nor naïve. One couldn't say that about Spendius' response however. It is disjoint, filled with contradictions, non-sequitors, and criticisms that are merely tautological expressions of extreme possibilities.

While the German people were certainly provoked by the greed and stupidity of Britain and France at Versailles into eventually seeking redress of the crimes attendant to the negotiation that ended WWI, it is not at all accurate to imply that Hitler had any real provocation to seize Czechoslovakia, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Norway. He had fully addressed the real elements of the old provocation by rejecting the Versailles treaty and reoccupying the Rhineland. Problem was, he didn't stop there. Your points here are specious.

No one suggested the Islamist terrorists have no cause: rather that their cause is itself reprehensible and will bring no good to them or anyone else. No one doubts the strength of their conviction, just as no one doubts the strength of Hitler's. An illusory sense of certainty and superiority, coupled with zealotry and the conviction that anything is permissible in the pursuit of one's cause does not constitute rational justification for anything. These arguments are very confused and without merit.

Moreover there was nothing utopian in Asherman's expressions that we are doing fairly well in Iraq. Indeed, though the final judgment of History is still a long way off, things do look pretty good. This is an observable fact. The insurgency will continue, but it is not achieving its objective, and time appears to be on our side. Of course there will be other problems ahead, but we are, so far dealing with them quite well.

Spendius also ignores the fact that the present difficulties in both the Gulf region and in the Middle East are directly traceable to, and the results of ,the greed and duplicity of Britain and France in their secret resolve to take down the Ottoman empire and divide its spoils in WWI, and their perfidy and incompetence in dealing with and deceiving the Zionists and Arabs who were induced to assist them in their cause. The explosion of Jewish emigration from Europe to Israel after WWII was also a further consequence of the intolerance and inhumanity of European countries, including France, but in this case, not Britain. At this juncture the best and most appropriate posture for Europeans in these matters is a respectful, shamed silence..
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:27 am
Quote:
While I didn't see any contradiction in Asherman's words

As John Wayne would put it, "Welllllll, ya better look again"

Asherman is a kind man, but naive. As evidence, I forward that he allowed me past his front door. He is however not a total fool and as evidence for this second proposition, I forward that I have received no invitation to come again.

So, he sits at some sunny spot between the N word and the F word. The world's trusting gets done from here. And, the place ranks #2 at cliche propogation.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:29 am
Quote:
Interesting you'd make that distinction so soon after praising Spendius for his petty attack on Asherman for making the same point. Asherman clarified that no sane person is really "pro-war" even if they agree with the action in Iraq... just as I've only met one person who admitted to being "pro-abortion".

I don't think you're following me Bill. I'm talking about the use of public relations and sales strategies to push an agenda. Uh.....I must be missing something. Can you explain further. I'll work on a post to clarify what I mean in case the failure to communicate is coming from my end.

And as an aside..... I'm pro-abortion when abortion is necessary. I consider myself to be pro-life in that respect. I believe children should have a chance to make it in this world before they are taken, through no choice of their own, into it. But that's a different discussion. Now that makes two of us.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:40 am
spendius wrote:
Quote:
The German people were provoked into electing him by the economic situation resulting from WW1,a circumstance we managed to learn from after WW2.

george wrote:
Quote:
While the German people were certainly provoked by the greed and stupidity of Britain and France at Versailles into eventually seeking redress of the crimes attendant to the negotiation that ended WWI, it is not at all accurate to imply that Hitler had any real provocation to seize Czechoslovakia, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Norway.

Spendius didn't say the German people were provoked into electing Hitler by" the greed and stupidity of Britain and France at Versailles".......he said they were provoked by "the economic situation" resulting from WWI

There's a big difference there. And I think it proves a more fundamental point I'm making. It's not the attempt to sell ideas that is the problem in politics. It's the message being sold that should be considered. I'll give you an example in my next post.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:55 am
No need for further clarification, Lola. I understand, and even agree with your sales angle completely.

Your qualifier on abortion makes the difference for establishing if there is contradiction or not. Depending on context; lots of us are pro-war and pro-abortion. In this instance; Spendius deliberately took Asherman out of that context for his criticism.
Spendius wrote:
The first two sentences are at odds with each other which is a sure sign of impulse typing.
If you'll look back at Asherman's first two sentences without distorting the context for the purpose of petty insult, you'll see they are not at odds at all.
Asherman wrote:
Most of the "pro-war" folks here that I know of are either currently in the military, or are veterans. None of us, I think, are pro-war after all we know a little first-hand about the horrors of it.
(All emphasis left intact from Asherman's original post).

Since then, predictably, others who share Spendius's ideology and opinion have raced to his aide and denied this obvious slander. Rolling Eyes I do hope Asherman chooses defend himself against this petty BS, but would be surprised not at all if chose not to waste his time.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
O'Bill,

I see no great need to get into a hassel with folks like Spendius. They have already taken a stand that filters out anything and everything that might call their views into question. We conservatives tend to do the same thing, though to a lesser extent in my opinion. I think my views are pretty well known, and I'm willing to listen to the arguments of those who disagree with them. Mostly, we get sterile rehashing of biased journalism by the Commentariat. What makes their point of view any better than mine, or Blatham's for that matter? Mostly here we are adults with reasonably good educations, so is it really necessary to parrot the views of public figures?

I don't enjoy being called stupid or a sloppy writer with nothing to say. However, that may be the case. All I can say in my own defense is that I try to be clear and reasonable.

Blatham,

Clean your ears out. There was an open invitation for you to visit Corazon anytime. We don't limit our hospitality only to those who agree with us. Aunt Bea and I seldom agree on political matters, but she remains dear to our hearts. I had hoped to see more of Dys and Diane once they moved to Albuquerque, but so far we haven't. The Fox lives within a mile and we still haven't met face to face, but she's certainly welcome here anytime at all.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:37 pm
spendius has an ideology that is even remotely recognizable???? The fellow is a poet and drunkard who loves women overmuch but language even more.
0 Replies