Bush supporters' aftermath thread

gungasnake

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 08:01 pm
JustWonders wrote:

The rest of the article is just as irritating, but it is kind of fun to watch the Left implode Smile

I don't know if "implode" is the word I'd use or if there's a better word for what's happening. If there's a way to make themselves look stupider and worse than the democrats have made themselves look over the last two weeks I can't think of what it would be. Near as I can tell they could be doing it with ducks and pigs in the street in daylight and even that wouldn't look any worse.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Tico wrote
Quote:
Of course I wasn't all caught up in analyzing it from a marketing/PR perspective. I have the luxury of not having to do that with everything. Yet ... I manage to get through the day....

Some must have missed Diane Sawyer's interview with the marine mother and the Iraqi voter when she asked them point blank if they had been rehearsed for the SOTU speech. Both flatly stated they had no idea what to expect or who they would be sitting with other than the First Lady. They were asked to be there and were told they would be introduced. That's it.

And just why were they there, sitting beside the First Compassioner? And the cameramen were, just by luck, situated EXACTLY to get those camera angles? I mean, do you guys WANT to be manipulated?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:11 am
It saves on thinking energy.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:12 am
Seems to me the only ones trying to manipulate anything are those who so desperately do not want there to be anything good from our current events and who so desperate want to see the current president/administration fail. I'm not mentioning any names. I'm just making a personal observation.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:13 am
Rolling Eyes

Maybe the weepers and gnashers could weep and gnash in the Weepers and Gnashers thread.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:14 am
That seems a good plan to me too JW. Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:15 am
sp

Did you ever read Hoffer's book? There's a brilliant notion he offers up...'thought-terminating cliche'.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:21 am
And some cliches are simply best terminated, at least so far as given credibility. Especially those that see nothing good in anything, those who find fault with everything, and those who presume to equate good with evil.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:03 am
And now I'm going to go have a hot bubble bath, a cup of coffee laced liberally with chocolate, and regain my sunny disposition that has been taking a beating the last couple of days; i.e. I'm being crabby and bitchy and I don't like that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:05 am
MG:-

I've only got the anti-intellectualism diatribe.That's derivative of Veblen in the main.

We will see who does the weeping and gnashing.

I've been told to buy BT and ITT.Have you a view.A small reason is that we thread on their kit.A big reason is a bit difficult.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:10 am
Foxy:-

You call that taking a beating.Man you haven't lived.

Watch your cholesterol,keep a clean head and always carry a light bulb.Imagine all 9 billion in a hot bubble bath.You would need a gas mask to go out.You are supposed to keep silent about our luxuries.It incites envy when you don't.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:14 am
Good points Spendius. My husband already is amazed at the full-size alarm clock I carry in my purse (until I can replace my broken watch.) What do I tell him the light bulb is for?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:16 am
sp

I am the very LAST person you ought to make inquiries of regarding investment. I had fifty bucks once and used it to get married.

Hoffer's book is The True Believer. Early fifties, I think. But very perceptive. If I have the biographical data right (I may not), I think he was self-taught in philosophy and psychology.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:28 am

You can't need me to tell you what a light bulb is for.

Hey-I read a book about how New Mexico was incorporated into the Union at the end of the one sided war of 1846-8.That's progress.All that lovely land just for 15 million dollars and a few dead.And not just New Mexico either.If you can't defend it you can't have it.

Sorry about the gender mistake.At least I presume it's a mistake.You never know these days.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:28 am
Would this be the same Eric Hoffer who wrote:
"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business.". . . and. . .

"It is the fate of every great achievement to be pounced upon by pedants and imitators who drain it of life and turn it into an orthodoxy which stifles all stirrings of originality."
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:30 am
MG:-

Anybody who can get that in love deserves our consideration.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:30 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Would this be the same Eric Hoffer who wrote:
"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business.". . . and. . .

"It is the fate of every great achievement to be pounced upon by pedants and imitators who drain it of life and turn it into an orthodoxy which stifles all stirrings of originality."

Oh, my. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:35 am
That's the very same man. The entire book comes recommended.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:36 am

Don't have a watch.I hate time going by.

But broken watches are throwaway here.A couple of dollars (assuming the dollar hasn't plummeted)
buys a spot on timekeeper here I'm told.They are going the way of ciggy lighters.They make these things where bubble baths and choc laced coffee are unheard of.Innit great eh?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
Spendius, the book probably gave you a somewhat distorted and narrow history of New Mexico that was first explored/conquered by Coronado and Onate, was part of the Louisiana purchase but also parts remained under Spanish territory and then under Mexican control until Texas claimed most of it in the wars with Mexico. New Mexico became the 47th state in 1912.
0 Replies