Bush supporters' aftermath thread

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 04:54 am
Why bother going to all the trouble of actually thinking when somebody else has already done it for you? Or...

Welcome new Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Salespersons in Training! Rule number one - Follow the sales patter below. Do not vary it. or....

"Sheeeeit! Those white trash out there are so goddamn stupid they'll believe that black people wanna eat their children if ya tell 'em it often enough"
Quote:
Update2: Josh Marshall has a link to the full playbook here (a large .pdf file). The 104-pager includes a recommendation for speech giving:

"How to Talk About Social Security Personal Accounts

"Social Security Speech For Audiences Ages 18+

"Introduction

"Good day. My name is _______________. I am here to talk with you about your future, and the future of your children and grandchildren. I have studied the challenges facing our Social Security system. I am going to share with you today what I have learned, and tell you about the solution that I recommend. The first thing you need to understand is that Social Security has to be fixed. It's not a matter of "I want it to be fixed" or "I think it should be fixed" -- it has to be fixed."

Oh yeah...and NEVER say 'private accounts'. Boy we fukked up on that one.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I don't know if we can solve all the world's problems either, FreeDuck... but I do want us to try. If we don't, who will? And, yes, I want every other civilized country to stand up with us until eventually we're all standing togetherÂ… on the same side. Infighting between civilized nations who share values (like human rights and the right to self determination), only serves to benefit the true enemies of human kind (those who don't). The politics as usual power struggle both domestically and internationally should be set completely aside when addressing the A-holes like Saddam. Too often we're like parents bickering at a PTA meeting while the kids are off bangin and smokin crack. Differences between PartiesÂ… or between European nations and the United States should be too minor to interfere with addressing the mass murdering monsters of the world. That's a sh!tty issue to play politics with.

I agree, a little. There are real disagreements. It wasn't/isn't as simple as US says Saddam bad, Europe says Saddam good. You can insert Republican and Democrat for US and Europe respectfully, same effect. Differences should be resolved, not exacerbated, and it's assinine to lay it all at the feet of the anit-war folks/countries.

Quote:
I'm sorry you're that cynical about the military, too, FreeDuck. Saying you haven't seen the U.S. military act for humanitarian reasons strikes me as borderline obscene.

Almost as obscene as concluding that I said that. I didn't. I thought my meaning was pretty clear.

Quote:
You must subscribe to an idealism that says force is NEVER acceptable. Who do you think does most of the heavy hitting in UN peacekeeping missions? Did you really have a problem with the first Gulf War? Did you miss the reports about the USS Abraham Lincoln and a dozen other ships, along with thousands of troops chipping in after the Tsunami? I just don't get it. How do you decide to be against something you freely admit you probably don't understand

It's you who doesn't understand, O'Bill. You're extrapolating a little too much from my remarks. And you're strawmanning me all over the place. I'm not eager to start bickering with you again. My point was that in your previous post you seemed to indicate that you want it both ways. You want those who were against the war to be excited about Iraqi elections (we are) but when we are you chastise us for not being for the war in the first place. You seem to be saying that the ends (elections) justifies the means (war) and we should all be licking the boots of the war proponents for being right.

I was raised to believe that the US are not aggressors. That we fight only in self-defense. That we don't meddle in other's affairs. I was raised by conservatives. As I learned more I realized that we should do more to bring those in the third world closer to our standard of living (including basic rights and liberties) because that is in our best interests. It's very much like your inner city analogy. If we want to lower crime and keep our kids safe, we have to make sure that kids are safe in the inner cities. We have to solve that problem. You and I disagree on the means. It's a difference between agreeing that the war on drugs can solve the problem, and believing that economic improvements, job programs, and education can solve the problem. I don't 'subscribe' to any idealism but there are certain morals I hold dear that have survived a lifetime of scrutiny. You haven't given me any reason to abandon them now.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
Anybody who hasn't seen some of these images from Iraq needs to:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1332059/posts

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050130/capt.sge.gbe84.300105113833.photo00.photo.default-263x384.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050130/i/r1736684351.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050130/i/r760156552.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050130/i/r1232949713.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050130/i/r3711628782.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050130/i/r2172845974.jpg

etc. etc. etc.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:40 am
FreeDuck wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'm sorry you're that cynical about the military, too, FreeDuck. Saying you haven't seen the U.S. military act for humanitarian reasons strikes me as borderline obscene.

Almost as obscene as concluding that I said that. I didn't. I thought my meaning was pretty clear.

I thought that was your meaning, FD. Here's what you said:

Quote:
Or are we all cynical because we've never seen the US act militarily for humanitarian reasons.

It appeared you were lumping yourself in with the "we" in that question..... If your meaning was something else, it was not made clear.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:43 am
I guess I see a distinction between 'act militarily' and 'military act'.

My meaning behind 'act militarily' was that the act was violent (bombing & shooting), where as the military can act in a nonviolent role, such as it did for the tsunami victims.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
What about the first Gulf war?

Btw, I've created no Strawmen and I haven't attacked you at all. I've attacked what I consider poorly thought out positionsÂ… and provided examples of why I think they're faulty. Your inability to discern between criticism of you and your positions is making further political discussion with you unappealing. I have no desire to offend you whatsoever, FreeDuck.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
What about the first Gulf war?

If you're going to ask dems about various wars, the one you probably want to ask them about is Kosovo, since Kosovo was the last democrat war and arguably a polar opposite of the operation in Iraq. Unlike the present conflict for which there was major justification, there was no justification for Kosovo at all.The people we supported were basically a bunch of tribalistic criminals, their leadership echelon basically a branch of AlQuaeda. Some believe the major motive of the operation was taking Chinagate off the headlines of American newspapers. Chinagate, of course, amounted to selling American thermonuclear secrets for DNC and other sundry Clinton slushfund cash.

Aside from all that, Europeans and others referred to the Kosovo operation as the "cowards' war" because, basically, everybody knew there was no rational motivation for it and nobody could ask soldiers to die for such a cause and, therefore, the whole operation was limited to bombing from high altitudes. Try doing a google search on 'cowards war'; you'll discover I'm not making this stuff up:

http://www.zmag.org/crisescurevts/victory.htm

http://dadapop.com/Clark.html

Quote:

The Powell doctrine is a cowards war. A war in which the radically advantaged American Air Force and air power in general including cruise missiles is used to devastate a completely and publicly demonized enemy population so that the cowards in the Pentagon don't have to risk the kind of casualties that were accrued in the Vietnam War or for that matter past successful U.N. peacekeeping operations. The cowards in the Pentagon and the White House have not wanted to risk a backlash from the American public whose children might die in a full frontal war. But in using the Powell doctrine in Kosovo General Wesley Clark as supreme commander of NATO forces dumped tons of depleted uranium ordinance into Kosovo creating widespread sickness as a result of the contamination caused by the ignition of the ordnance on the impact of its target. Not to mention the so-called collateral damage of civilian deaths that occurred as result of the cowards indiscriminately bombing anything that moved. General Wesley Clark's supporters are already touting Kosovo as a great success with not one American casualty, a testament to both Bill Clinton's and Wesley Clark's genius. And of course, a well orchestrated lie which will produce the desired results thanks to the corporate media and a compliant NPR.

At least half of the European reaction to the present operation in Iraq can be attributed to an inability to believe that a nation (us) which did something like Kosovo four years ago could be doing something altruistic now.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:14 pm
Quote:

What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?

February 1, 2005

BY MARK BROWN SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Maybe you're like me and have opposed the Iraq war since before the shooting started -- not to the point of joining any peace protests, but at least letting people know where you stood.

You didn't change your mind when our troops swept quickly into Baghdad or when you saw the rabble that celebrated the toppling of the Saddam Hussein statue, figuring that little had been accomplished and that the tough job still lay ahead.

Despite your misgivings, you didn't demand the troops be brought home immediately afterward, believing the United States must at least try to finish what it started to avoid even greater bloodshed. And while you cheered Saddam's capture, you couldn't help but thinking I-told-you-so in the months that followed as the violence continued to spread and the death toll mounted.

By now, you might have even voted against George Bush -- a second time -- to register your disapproval.

But after watching Sunday's election in Iraq and seeing the first clear sign that freedom really may mean something to the Iraqi people, you have to be asking yourself: What if it turns out Bush was right, and we were wrong?

It's hard to swallow, isn't it?

Americans cross own barrier

If you fit the previously stated profile, I know you're fighting the idea, because I am, too. And if you were with the president from the start, I've already got your blood boiling.

For those who've been in the same boat with me, we don't need to concede the point just yet. There's a long way to go. But I think we have to face the possibility.

I won't say that it had never occurred to me previously, but it's never gone through my mind as strongly as when I watched the television coverage from Iraq that showed long lines of people risking their lives by turning out to vote, honest looks of joy on so many of their faces.

Some CNN guest expert was opining Monday that the Iraqi people crossed a psychological barrier by voting and getting a taste of free choice (setting aside the argument that they only did so under orders from their religious leaders).

I think it's possible that some of the American people will have crossed a psychological barrier as well.

Deciding democracy's worth

On the other side of that barrier is a concept some of us have had a hard time swallowing:

Maybe the United States really can establish a peaceable democratic government in Iraq, and if so, that would be worth something.

Would it be worth all the money we've spent? Certainly.

Would it be worth all the lives that have been lost? That's the more difficult question, and while I reserve judgment on that score until such a day arrives, it seems probable that history would answer yes to that as well.

I don't want to get carried away in the moment.

Going to war still sent so many terrible messages to the world.

Most of the obstacles to success in Iraq are all still there, the ones that have always led me to believe that we would eventually be forced to leave the country with our tail tucked between our legs. (I've maintained from the start that if you were impressed by the demonstrations in the streets of Baghdad when we arrived, wait until you see how they celebrate our departure, no matter the circumstances.)

In and of itself, the voting did nothing to end the violence. The forces trying to regain the power they have lost -- and the outside elements supporting them -- will be no less determined to disrupt our efforts and to drive us out.

Somebody still has to find a way to bring the Sunnis into the political process before the next round of elections at year's end. The Iraqi government still must develop the capacity to protect its people.

And there seems every possibility that this could yet end in civil war the day we leave or with Iraq becoming an Islamic state every bit as hostile to our national interests as was Saddam.

Penance could be required

But on Sunday, we caught a glimpse of the flip side. We could finally see signs that a majority of the Iraqi people perceive something to be gained from this brave new world we are forcing on them.

Instead of making the elections a further expression of "Yankee Go Home," their participation gave us hope that all those soldiers haven't died in vain.

Obviously, I'm still curious to see if Bush is willing to allow the Iraqis to install a government that is free to kick us out or to oppose our other foreign policy efforts in the region.

So is the rest of the world.

For now, though, I think we have to cut the president some slack about a timetable for his exit strategy.

If it turns out Bush was right all along, this is going to require some serious penance.

Maybe I'd have to vote Republican in 2008.

And some Dems still think Dean's the answer.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:34 am
Dems Call for Applause-Free State of Union Speech
by Scott Ott
(2005-02-01)

Due to the "somber mood of the nation," Democrats in Congress have called on their Republican colleagues to refrain from all celebratory applause during President George Bush's state of the union speech Wednesday night.

The annual presidential address before a joint session of Congress is traditionally interrupted dozens of times by applause from both parties and frequent cheers and standing ovations from the party in power.

"How can anyone applaud in a time like this?" said Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, before launching into a list of reasons why Americans are in mourning.

-- "Iraq is a quagmire of Sunni disenfranchisement, and our own citizens in Ohio still lack full voting rights.
-- All of America's beloved manufacturing jobs have been outsourced to China and all the garment-sewing and tech-support jobs to India.
-- The only union labor left on our shores is done in the public schools, where teachers suffer the assaults of wild-eyed heretics trying to undermine Darwinian orthodoxy.
-- Across our land illegal aliens still lack proper health insurance and suffer daily indignities in the name of so-called homeland security.
-- The elderly face a terrifying future when the federal government no longer controls all of their retirement money.
-- Our 14-year-old girls live in fear that they may need parental permission to abort their unwanted fetuses.
-- Our homosexuals still can't marry, forcing them into deadly liaisons with multiple partners.
-- The wealthiest Americans continue to waste money on investments and consumer goods while Congress struggles to make ends meet.
-- And the Supreme Court itself faces the threat of perhaps several new justices who will be too lazy to rewrite our out-dated Constitution."

The House Minority Leader recalled "the halcyon days of the Clinton administration, when clapping and whooping were entirely appropriate."

"Now," she added, "is the winter of our discontent. Please, hold your applause."

In related news, the Democrat National Committee announced that its televised response to the president's speech will be sponsored by Eli Lilly, the makers of Prozac

http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/002049.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:45 am
and that reminds me that last august the sporting goods store had a clearance sale so I got this great tent at about 1/3 origianl price but when we went winter camping last month the damn tent fell apart at the seams, no more will I have winters of discount tents.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:49 am
...winters of discount tents.

Smile
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:52 am
Nancy Pelosi and Ted Kennedy will finish the job Clinton started and Gore, Dean, and Kerry continued - the destruction of the coalition that gave the Democrats an enduring legislative majority. I wish them well. Keep it up. A little more help from Michael Moore, Barbara Streisand, and the New York Times and the job will be done.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:58 am
well sure George why even bother having anything like divergence of views in US politics, tis a far far easier thing to have everyone on exactly the same page. right? like if everybody's right nobody's wrong eh?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:59 am
JW: Laughing But you forgot the obligatory Dookie disclaimer. How will he know it's satire unless you label it as such? ... Although I've noticed the disclaimer isn't really working, because he argued with Ott's point the last time I pasted something from Scrappleface.com.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:19 pm
dyslexia wrote:
well sure George why even bother having anything like divergence of views in US politics, tis a far far easier thing to have everyone on exactly the same page. right? like if everybody's right nobody's wrong eh?

I don't wish for a monotone political situation here or anywhere. I do, however, believe that the tactics that Pelosi and Kennedy are using tend to amplify the errors of Clinton, Gore, Dean, Kerry, et. al. rather than the things they did well. If they keep it up the Democrats will likely lose even more ground. Do you dispute this observation?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
LOL, Tico! Actually it's not all that far from reality when you consider Tom Shales' petty comment on Dubya wearing a baby-blue tie during his Inaugural speech. Shales is that loony WaPo guy.

Poor Bush if he again wears a blue tie, but even if he chooses red, I expect Shales will have a sneer about that, too.

<Wondering when the heck blue ties became style gaffes> Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:24 pm
Those who presume to dictate the words one must use or how one must express himself/herself, etc. in order to be a) presumed intelligent and/or b) considered acceptable are certainly also experts on men's fashions don't you think?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:25 pm
That's an 'observation'?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:47 pm
Foxy - this story is hilarious.

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4220473.stm

Psychologists and handwriting experts were drafted in by the press in the hope of getting a glimpse into the inner workings of the prime ministerial mind.

Newspaper stories contained phrases such as "struggling to concentrate" and "not a natural leader".

Now - and with not a little glee - Downing Street has revealed that the scribblings were not the work of the premier, but that of one Bill Gates of Microsoft.

The British papers had a field day Smile. Here's is the Independent.

Quote:
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=605702

The Independent asked Helen Taylor, a graphologist, to analyse the writing and, just for fun, Nina Ashby, a clairvoyant who specialises in the interpretation of patterns, to investigate Mr Blair's extensive use of symbols. She said: "It shows he's full of aggressive, nervous energy, which is driving him on. But it is not rooted in practicality. It's more aspirational, as indicated by the slanting writing. A more practical person would be expected write more horizontally.

"The boxes suggest he is trying to compartmentalise things, possibly for delegation, but some look as if they are going to collapse. The relative sizes of the boxes and the letters indicate his priorities."

She added: "I think he's under pressure, trying to complete his circles, but not always succeeding. And it suggests this is not a natural leader. It is a person of a religious nature, perhaps a vicar, not sure of his priorities." Ms Ashby concluded that Mr Blair was easily able to compartmentalise matters; organisations such as the G8 and the International Finance Fund are firmly ringed and boxed. "But as you get further down, the boxes and circles and triangles overlap and crowd in on each other and the focus is on issues, such as Aids and trade.

"Look at the triangle goalposts: one is trapped among circles and boxes, the other free and isolated. It creates a more confusing picture and suggests things are in danger of getting out of control."

And ... The London Times weighs in...(be sure to read the whole thing)

Quote:

AND The Mirror (LOL)... Be sure to read all of this one!

Quote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=15125247&method=full&siteid=50143&headline=what-s-on-your-mind--mr-blair--name_page.htm

Psychologist Elaine Quigley says the loopy letters and boxed-up issues are the tell-tale signs that our leader is a bit of daydreamer hoping for the best.

Blair even mis-spells the name of Porto Alegre, Brazil, which he calls Allegro, where he is to attend a crucial summit with leaders of the developing world, union chiefs and campaign groups.

But Ms Quigley adds that his extensive use of triangles indicates a constructive and practical approach.

She says: "He is struggling to concentrate and his mind is going everywhere, but he knows he will get to the bottom of the problems in time. That's Teflon Tony.

"We can see the way the Prime Minister's mind works, not only by the way he fills in his boxes, but also by the size and clarity of his priorities.

"The most readable of his doodles are the points that he believes will catch the public interest."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:04 pm
Oh that is runny, JW Smile
0 Replies