Bush supporters' aftermath thread

HofT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:39 am
Walter - I often attended meetings in which then Bundeskanzler Helmut Kohl spoke and remember him repeating tirelessely "Es gibt keinen dritten Weg!"

He was right, you and your friends were wrong. Might you be wrong again this time?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:39 am
HofT wrote:
Can all those Iraq critics please keep in mind that Americans are the ones bearing the cost in blood and treasure?

What about the Brits? And all those others in the coalition of the willing whose soldiers have died?

Why did you leave them out?

Helen wrote:
Boxer was out of line in blaming Rice for mistakes made by the intel folks and mistakes of the Pentagon - Rice didn't handle those, then or now.

Well, maybe she'll get a medal for it anyway. Some day.

Helen wrote:
Does Boxer have any better ideas for how to extricate ourselves from Iraq? Kerry didn't.

Here's an idea: how about we never should have gone in the first f*cking place?

Then extrication wouldn't be a concern...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:41 am
But after the advising and consending is over and done with, and she got away with it, then what?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:43 am
Then, Bernie, we have to sit through PDiddie's lament "We wuz robbed." Which we're doing right now <G>
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:45 am
The pictures coming out of Iraq are stunning. From the mainstream media, you expected to see nothing but disheveled, abused, intimidated people, war strewn rubble, and carnage. Instead you see well dressed men and women, exhuberant, joyous, and dancing in the streets. Even the Sunni areas, so threatened by terrorist thugs, turned out a higher percentage than expected though much lower than it otherwise would have been.

I was heartened by our ambassador's early cautious yet optimistic assessment and eye-witness reports from the media who were there.

Kerry on the other hand in my opinion thoroughly disgraced himself on Meet the Press yesterday morning. A statesman he is not.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:47 am
HofT wrote:
Then, Bernie, we have to sit through PDiddie's lament "We wuz robbed." Which we're doing right now <G>

Nobody's forcing you to sit through anything.

If what I have to say bothers you, why don't you go have a smoke (and expedite the process of lowering your insurance rates)?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:50 am
Thank you, PDiddie, for this courteous and constructive exchange of views. Nothing you have to say bothers me in the least - rest assured on that part - but it seems to bother you, if all this foaming-at-the-mouth verbosity you exhibit is any indication.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:52 am
Good Americans have died in duels before. And as sexually uncomfortable as it would make me to see George in white gloves, certain intractable arguments might be well settled in that manner.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:54 am
Foxfyre wrote:
The pictures coming out of Iraq are stunning. From the mainstream media, you expected to see nothing but disheveled, abused, intimidated people, war strewn rubble, and carnage. Instead you see well dressed men and women, exhuberant, joyous, and dancing in the streets.

No, I didn't expect to see that.

Michael Moore depicted Iraqis in "F9/11", on the day before the bombing runs began, as well-dressed, exuberant, joyous, and dancing in the streets.

But I recall many on this board declaring that to be a false image.

So who could have imagined they still had nice clothes after two years of war?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:56 am
HofT wrote:
Thank you, PDiddie, for this courteous and constructive exchange of views. Nothing you have to say bothers me in the least - rest assured on that part - but it seems to bother you, if all this foaming-at-the-mouth verbosity you exhibit is any indication.

You're welcome.

Beeyatch. :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
From the mainstream media, you expected to see nothing but disheveled, abused, intimidated people, war strewn rubble, and carnage.

I think the mainstream media, from what I've seen of it, has been extraordinarily positive about this story. Every story I've read, every piece on the news, has been about the resiliency and incredible spirit of the Iraqi people.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:49 am
I'll admit many if not most are reporting the election favorably. It was the pre-election propaganda that was so negative as testified by the many posts predicting doom and gloom in this and other threads.

At any rate, this is only the beginning. But it is a wonderful beginning full of promise. The more postive people are and the more they pull together to accomplish the hard work ahead, the faster and more complete will be the success.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:57 am
blatham wrote:
Boxer really ought to have, at the very least, kissed a shoe or scrambled over on her knees holding a tasseled-pillow weighty with gift, or DONE SOMETHING TO SHOW FEALTY! Goodness knows, the 'advice and consent' role of the Senate ought really to be not other than pennants waving and the high shout of trumpets. Condiness is a Queenly aspect, after all. And it is deeply improper - deeply - to imply the Queen has behaved like a low-class obfuscation slut.

Barbara Boxer was just staying in character - she is the fool of the loonie left and can be counted on some idiotic expression of "moral outrage" over even the most ordinary of partisan issues. She was in good company in the vote with Teddy Kennedy and Robert Byrd, This is comedy, not politics.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:30 am
I too was thinking Boxer was way out in front on the idiot-meter... right up until Kennedy announced we were accomplishing nothing and our troops were part of the problem a couple days before the first free election of it's kind in Iraq. Perhaps he thought the insurgents needed a little pep talk before one of the widest covered events of the year. Rolling Eyes Talk about not getting it. What is this guy locked away in some little room somewhere with limited access to the real world?

Oh, that's right... he's not... because justice was never served. Sad

http://www.ytedk.com/car1sm.jpghttp://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/maryjokopechne.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:40 am
Teddy's mind is clearly gone at this point and if anybody in Mass. is awake, they need to do something about it. A recall election wouldn't be a BAD idea...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:45 am
Forced to take the weekend off A2K, so I'm catching up ......

HofT wrote:
Note to Ticomaya: your opening statement that you didn't expect too many posts was proven wrong - why, do you think? The blue caterpillars (ahem!) are a suspect <G>

I was wrong. There's often a first time for everything.

blatham wrote:
For goodness sakes...Bill Bennett's site is just the place to go for your objective information on what's going on. "Polling and reports on the ground"? Polling of whom done by whom and verified by whom? It's so unsafe even for Iraq-experienced reporters than they can get almost nowhere and talk to very few people.

Yes .. all such "polls" in Iraq are suspect, including that "98% of the Iraqi population have lost faith in the US" poll. The only poll that matters was taken this weekend, with overwhelming response. It appears the Iraqis have faith in themselves and their future.

PDiddie wrote:
"And so the conversation turned,
until the sun went down,
and many fantasies were learned..."

(thanks, Human League)

Thanks, PD. Now that damn song is going to be running through my head all day. Very Happy (Fortunately I like it!)

blatham wrote:
Good Americans have died in duels before. And as sexually uncomfortable as it would make me to see George in white gloves, certain intractable arguments might be well settled in that manner.

Not sure who he'd be dueling, but I reckon George would stand a pretty good chance in that fight.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Quote:
President Congratulates Iraqis on Election
The Cross Hall

1:00 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Today the people of Iraq have spoken to the world, and the world is hearing the voice of freedom from the center of the Middle East.

In great numbers, and under great risk, Iraqis have shown their commitment to democracy. By participating in free elections, the Iraqi people have firmly rejected the anti-democratic ideology of the terrorists. They have refused to be intimidated by thugs and assassins. And they have demonstrated the kind of courage that is always the foundation of self-government.

President George W. Bush leaves the podium after delivering a statement on Iraq's elections from the Cross Hall of the White House, Sunday, Jan. 30, 2005. White House photo by Eric Draper. Some Iraqis were killed while exercising their rights as citizens. We also mourn the American and British military personnel who lost their lives today. Their sacrifices were made in a vital cause of freedom, peace in a troubled region, and a more secure future for us all.

The Iraqi people, themselves, made this election a resounding success. Brave patriots stepped forward as candidates. Many citizens volunteered as poll workers. More than 100,000 Iraqi security force personnel guarded polling places and conducted operations against terrorist groups. One news account told of a voter who had lost a leg in a terror attack last year, and went to the polls today, despite threats of violence. He said, "I would have crawled here if I had to. I don't want terrorists to kill other Iraqis like they tried to kill me. Today I am voting for peace."

Across Iraq today, men and women have taken rightful control of their country's destiny, and they have chosen a future of freedom and peace. In this process, Iraqis have had many friends at their side. The European Union and the United Nations gave important assistance in the election process. The American military and our diplomats, working with our coalition partners, have been skilled and relentless, and their sacrifices have helped to bring Iraqis to this day. The people of the United States have been patient and resolute, even in difficult days.

The commitment to a free Iraq now goes forward. This historic election begins the process of drafting and ratifying a new constitution, which will be the basis of a fully democratic Iraqi government. Terrorists and insurgents will continue to wage their war against democracy, and we will support the Iraqi people in their fight against them. We will continue training Iraqi security forces so this rising democracy can eventually take responsibility for its own security.

There's more distance to travel on the road to democracy. Yet Iraqis are proving they're equal to the challenge. On behalf of the American people, I congratulate the people of Iraq on this great and historic achievement.

Thank you very much.

END 1:05 P.M. EST
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:26 am
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/050128/dickwright.gif
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:44 am
And these folks are convinced the Democratic Party's decline is attributable to external causes.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:55 am
Laughing
0 Replies