Bush supporters' aftermath thread

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:11 pm
So George Bush had trouble sleeping one night...

...so he went to the Oval Office to look over his 9/11 albums when suddenly George Washington appeared!

Bush asked, "Hey George! How kin I halp mah people, help my mah country?" Washington replied: "First cut the phony accent."

Bush: "OK, how can I help my country, help my people?"
Washington: "I could not tell a lie, neither should you."

Bush thought about that awhile and soon went to sleep.

The following night he again found himself plagued with insomnia and so he went to the Oval Office to color in his books, and this time the vision of Thomas Jefferson appeared!

Bush said "Tom, my man! How can I help my country, help my people?" Jefferson said, "First you must adhere to the Constitution and stop trying to write all this new bullshit in." Bush considered this advice and quickly fell asleep.

The third night, Bush again couldn't sleep. He went down to the Oval Office to dress in his flight suit and was admiring himself in the mirror when the ghost of FDR appeared!

Bush said: "President Roosevelt! How can I help my country, help my people?" FDR replied: "Stop being so mean-spirited, you must help those truly in need as I tried to set up for you." Moments later the President was slumped on a sofa in the Oval Office, snoring loudly.

The next night, same deal, Bush was in the Oval Office playing with himself when Abraham Lincoln appeared before him! Bush pleaded: "Abe! Abe! I have asked many Presidents for the answer! How can I help my country, help my people?"

Lincoln replied: "Go see a play."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:11 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Lash wrote:
Hell. If I was of the liberal persuasion--I don't think I'd have the nerve to say "Told you so" about anything.

You guys are definitely in free fall.

Hell, I'm an old crusty liberal that has been in freefall ever since Nixon ran his campaign on his "secret plan to end the war in Vietnam" well after another 125,000 US dead he gave us "peace with honor" and I can easily recall the film clips in my mind of the fall of Saigon, you remember those Lash? I'm sure Timber does. Wanna talk about it?

Nobody's right about everything--nobody's wrong about everything.
Nixon didn't start Vietnam. Kennedy did.
The mention of Nixon doesn't make the complete failure of the Democrat party less real.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:13 pm
Quote:
BBC Apologises for Misinterpreting Iraqi Death Stats

LONDON, Jan 29 (Reuters) - The BBC apologised on Saturday for erroneously reporting that U.S.-led and Iraqi forces may be responsible for the deaths of 60 percent of Iraqi civilians killed in conflict over the last six months.

The British broadcaster said on Friday in broadcasts and a news statement that its Panorama investigative show would air a report on Sunday citing "confidential" records from Iraq's health ministry to support the contention.

Iraq's health minister said the BBC misinterpreted the statistics it had received and had ignored statements from the ministry clarifying the figures.

"Today, the Iraqi Ministry of Health has issued a statement clarifying matters that were the subject of several conversations with the BBC before the report was published, and denying that this conclusion can be drawn from the figures relating to 'military operations'," the BBC said in a news statement on Saturday.

"The BBC regrets mistakes in its published and broadcast reports yesterday."

A BBC spokesman said the statistics would not feature in the Panorama show on Sunday.

I saw the original story yesterday and thought "what a crock". Now I see they've "apologized". What do you want to bet the so-called apology was buried on p.60? I think Mary Mapes has found new employment! Rolling Eyes

Oh, and be sure to notice the part where the Iraq Health Minister said the BBC IGNORED clarifying statements. Sheesh! Grrrrrr.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:13 pm
perspecitve lash, is longer than a few elections. your hubris may be as short lived as Clintons.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:23 pm
I know --it did sound like hubris.

I didn't salley forth after the election doing the I Told You So Dance. I do find that distasteful.

Its just MORE distasteful to try to take to task someone who had AMPLE opportunity to do the same to you MANY times, and VERY graciously thought better of it.

Call it what you will.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:40 pm
ok I'm not at all sure what you just wrote but it's ok with me.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:44 pm
It's the random screaming (caps).

Garbles the transmission.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:34 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Hell, I'm an old crusty liberal that has been in freefall ever since Nixon ran his campaign on his "secret plan to end the war in Vietnam" well after another 125,000 US dead he gave us "peace with honor" and I can easily recall the film clips in my mind of the fall of Saigon, you remember those Lash? I'm sure Timber does. Wanna talk about it?
Never liked Nixon - 'course, wasn't real fond of Johnson, either - woulda preferred Goldwater. Saw Kennedy as the lesser evil given that Nixon was the alternative - and it was Kennedy that first committed US combat elements to Vietnam. But that's neither here nor there at the moment. What's got me curious here in your comment as quoted above is " ... after another 125,000 US dead ... ". Total US combat deaths over the 90 month period of active hostilities in Vietnam were 47,368 with 10,799 dead of causes not combat related, for a total own-force in-theater mortality of 58,167. Where did your Nixon find "another 125,000"?

Speakin' of perspective, BTW, the average KIA-per-Month for Vietnam works out to 526, or, if all in-theater own-force deaths are counted, 646. By comparison, for Korea the monthly KIA average works out to 909, while for WWII the monthly average for combat deaths works out to 6,639. In the 22 months since the March '03 opening of hostilities with Iraq, own-force deaths from all causes have averaged a bit less than 66 per month.

While no dead is better than any dead, the monthly average for in-theater own-force dead of all causes in Iraq is the lowest the US has sustained in any war we have fought since we became a nation. For the War of 1812, the figure is 75 combat-related deaths-per-month, for the Mexican War, the figure is 87, for the Civil War, both sides combined, it is 3,846, for the Spanish-American War it is 96, and for WWI it is 2,816. Those all are combat-related deaths, mind you, not deaths from all causes. Considering just Killed In Action/Died of Wounds, the toll in Iraq is not quite 49 per month, or lower even than the 55 per month combat death figure for the American Revolution. Lower in fact than the ten-year average of murders-per-month in our 3 largest cities.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:39 pm
How about that for progress, eh?

Iraq is safer than Chicago.

Well, I'm sold. Anyone else?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:46 am
God Bless the Chicagoans! God keep them safe!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:56 am
I do hope you doubters are taking a moment away from whimpering to watch history being made.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:58 am
Oh HELL yeah. I'm watching the old Super Bowls on ESPN Classic.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:00 am
election will be important. as a precedent especially. but what will be crucial will be institutionalizing democracy after election. it will take years to be able to tell whether iraq will make it or not. but yes, tomorrow will be a historic day.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:20 am
Dag, flip on the news… CNN, FOX, it doesn't matter. The Iraqis are so proud of themselves it's awesome. I don't know what's more moving; the smiles or the tears as they exit the building. The Iraqis are describing it as Freedom and coup de tat… holding up their fingers to prove they've staked their claim in their own determination for the first time in their lives! This is truly a beautiful thing. I feel sorry for those too stuck in hyper-partisan foolishness to recognize what these people are doing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:24 am
O' Bill, I am watching the news. And I agree it is a big day for Iraq and am not disputing at all that for many Iraquis it is the most glorious day ever. And I am also sorry for those stuck up in hyper-partisan foolishness - on both sides. I don't like extremes. So I think we are in total agreement, finally!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:25 am
Yippy!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:32 am
dyslexia wrote:
ok I'm not at all sure what you just wrote but it's ok with me.

This made me laugh. You're right. I'm gotten so generic in my posts--to avoid getting thrown out--you almost can't understand anything I write anymore.

It wasn't even directed at you.

(....)

I've forgotten who it WAS aimed at. If PDiddie and blatham will just imagine I have insulted whichever one of them insulted Timber, we can move on.

Caps...emphasis. We Quick Response People don't have italics.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:58 am
Just in case anyone's OD'ing on delirium from the Iraqi elections (and that would appear to be several of you), take a break and watch some hyper-partisan foolishness:

http://movies.ziaspace.com/SNLTwins.wmv

Jenna: "I was so drunk, I made out with Dick Cheney's daughter."

Barbara: "Jenna!"

Jenna:"What? Not the gay one..."

Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:57 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Dag, flip on the news… CNN, FOX, it doesn't matter. The Iraqis are so proud of themselves it's awesome. I don't know what's more moving; the smiles or the tears as they exit the building. The Iraqis are describing it as Freedom and coup de tat…

Picture the demoKKKrats, and the suffering which this scene must cause them. I mean, it would be hard enough on them if Slick Clinton had been followed up by an ordinary old-style republican like Herbert Hoover or Taft. Even that would make them look very, very bad in comparison, but to have Clinton followed by a truly righteous man who institutes policies based on principles and righteousness must just hurt like hell.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:01 am
http://www.artfacts.net/exhibpics/11203.jpg

Democrat strategem to prevent world from seeing tears brought on by spread of democracy...
0 Replies