Bush supporters' aftermath thread

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:53 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Edit= added JP Too :wink:

Thanks O'Bill :wink:

Do you ever listen to Belling when you're back home? He has been going nuts up here lately. He has been breaking news left and right forcing people to act. He complained daily about no charges being filed for the tire slashing incident until they finally did file charges (the ex-mayor and current congress woman sons by the way). He dug up a story about 8000 more votes then voters in Milwaukee county on election night and low and behold two days later on the front page "Voter Fraud Suspected in Milwaukee County: FBI investigating"

plus he has been going nuts and getting excited over the election coming up this sunday. All good stuff!!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:39 pm
I haven't heard Belling, but that's probably who my buddy listens to. I did post some Journal/Sentinel articles about the widespread systematic fraud and the predictable Democratic blocking of any measures to reduce it... but since it wasn't the Republicans doing, no one cared.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:48 pm
Yeah I tried to post some as well. If you go way back to before the election people were complaining about the Repubs trying to void out registration cards with false addresses. Disenfranchised Voters!!! everybody screamed. Republicans are trying to steal an election again!!! Well months later here we are and those same addresses are the ones being investigated. Go figure...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:25 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Nimh wrote:
Oh yeah there was this whole how Iraq attacked America on 9/11 thing huh

You surely can't find any place anywhere on any forum or otherwise that I ever suggested such a thing. You can find plenty of evidence that the USA was viciously attacked. I will refer you to what 'the war against terrorism' encompasses for the rest. Or are you just generally pretending you don't understand?

I was just responding to what you wrote here, Foxfyre ...

I was responding to Bill's post about Iraq. I was saying that his reaction re: the Iraq news (his Systine Chapel metaphor) reminded me of that of erstwhile communists. Quoting my post about Bill's take on Iraq, you replied:

Quote:
You are mixing your metaphors my friend. [..] We have done and are doing our deeds:
1) As self defense retaliation against a hostile attack
2) To rid the world of a perceived unacceptable danger

So ... America "has done and is doing its deeds" in Iraq "as self defense retaliation against a hostile attack"? I dont think so ... hence my reply <shrugs>. If you meant to suddenly not be talking about Iraq anymore, I must have missed where you said so.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:37 pm
Amusin', really, that despite the Democratic Party's "10,000 Lawyers", of the post-election investigations and legal actions - nationwide, not just in Milwaukee - Republicans and the Republican Party are conspicuously and disproportionately absent from the category of folks facing charges, arrests, and other legal proceedings, ain't it?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:49 pm
That Wisconsin thing is nuts... because it's always. They were really tight this year, compared to most, too. I wonder what percentages the Republicans have win by to actually take Wisconsin? Guesses?

Ps. That scrabble website is addicting and multi-language if anyone's interested.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:30 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
nimh wrote:
Finding that 98% of the population he claims to have liberated has already lost faith in him is one way to do so.

That is the most dishonest, useless statistic there is and you know it. Show me a study that says 98% want Saddam back. Show me one that says 98% want us to leave right this minute. I don't know what you're upset about, but your rhetoric today is very uncharacteristic.

Not me who gets his panties in a bunch about nothing today, apparently ... you guys sure defensive this Friday <shrugs>. Getting in all these lightning rods and stuff.

For example, why exactly am I to come up with a statistic showing that "98% want Saddam back"? Did I ever claim that? I mean, why do you want me to come up with proof for stuff I never said? Weird. Losing faith in the Americans does not equate with wanting Saddam back, no matter how often that canard is pulled out.

In fact, you can rage about "the most dishonest, useless statistic there is" but its quite straightforward. What did I say?

In my first post, I noted that "The US occupation now apparently is supported by just 2% of Iraqis."

In my second, I referred back to that, riffing on the same theme about how 98% has lost faith in you.

This is the case I brought, right - didnt say anything else, no?

OK, so where did that come from? Well, the line in my first post was a direct quote from the Independent article linked here a coupla pages back.

And I think I know where they got it from, too - probably from this news, back in June 2004:

Quote:
the main findings of the poll, which was commissioned by the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) last month and which was leaked yesterday, reveal that only 2 per cent of the Iraqis polled in mid-May see coalition troops as liberators, while 92 per cent said they were occupiers.

Note also that the same CPA-commissioned poll, last May already (before a lot of heartache happened, think Abu G., Falluja) noted that "the coalition's confidence rating in May stood at 11 per cent, down from 47 per cent in November, while the troops themselves had the support of only 10 per cent." I posted a summary of such interesting data here (also including the CPA poll result about how 55% of Iraqis back then already wanted the American troops to leave "immediately").

Now if you want me to use that number instead, thats fine as well, a confidence rating is all about "having faith" in someone after all. I'll just revise the 98% in my second post into 90% or 89% - its not like it would change anything about my point.

So, anyway. A CPA-commissioned poll showed that, back in May last year already, just 2% of Iraqis still saw the coalition troops as liberators, while 92 per cent said they were occupiers - but if I note that "The US occupation now apparently is supported by just 2% of Iraqis" or that only 2% still has faith in you, I'm using "the most dishonest, useless statistics"?

<scratches head>

Time to calm down some, I think ... and when everyone's calmed down again, I might even come back here and everything! Razz
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:44 pm
Wouldn't you think that if 98% of Iraqi's had "lost faith" in Americans they would be requesting to leave as we have offered to do? That doesn't seem to be the case, however. I'm not saying they like us being there. But they apparently have faith that things will be better for them if we are for awhile yet.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:15 pm
Nimh, the stat is useless. We took over the country; so we are occupiers. This is a simple matter of fact. Since we haven't left yet, it remains to be seen if we are liberators. Why should it surprise anyone that they're leery considering our past behavior of broken promises? IMHO, this is a stupid question asked for the sole purpose of publishing the "shocking" answer so the unstable left can use it as a talking point. You usually have a better foundation than measuring faith. Strategically speaking, the statistic is absolutely useless. You feeling me?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
VOTING FEVER!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-017.gif
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
On Sunday, the sun will rise on the land of Mesopotamia. I can't wait, the dream is becoming true and I will stand in front of the box to put my heart in it.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-017.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:21 am
There is a very interesting relationship one might observe, if one looked, between manufactured delusion and cliche.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:31 am
Blatham did you know that if you close your eyes really tight and then stick the tip of your finger into the corner of the eye you can watch cartoons?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
"If we just let our vision of the world go forth, and we embrace it entirely and we don't try to piece together clever diplomacy, but just wage a total war... our children will sing great songs about us years from now."

-- Richard Perle

(insert Mr. Cherry Kool-Aid emoticon here)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
JustWonders wrote:
Looks like good stuff to me too! Pay no attention to the doomsayers. It is funny how they think the other side is delusional though isn't it? Laughing

Quote:
Voting fever takes hold of a people finally free to choose
From Richard Beeston in Baghdad
There is a palpable sense that the country is entering a new era

FOR decades, voting in Iraq meant taking part in a national exercise of state-enforced adulation, as 99 per cent of the electorate would dutifully turn out to tick the box beside the name Saddam Hussein.

Yesterday the contrast could not have been starker, as the campaign for Sunday's elections picked up pace and voters were presented with a dizzying selection of dozens of candidates and parties.

Notwithstanding insurgent terror aimed at wrecking the polls, there is finally a palpable sense in Baghdad, and other Iraqi cities, that the country is entering a new era.

At the Babylon Hotel tribal sheikhs in long gowns and Arab headdress gathered to hear politicians extol the virtues of Iyad Allawi, the interim Prime Minister, who was being touted as the only man with the strength and will to solve Iraq's numerous problems.

Across town Kurdish voters were treated to large slices of chocolate cake, folk dancing and poetry readings praising democracy and reminding them of their duty to their nation.

Elsewhere street urchins were discovering that democracy can pay. They have been hired en masse to put up posters and billboards on every wall space available and probably paid a little extra to tear down the slogans of rival politicians.

Some of the campaigning methods are fairly crude.

One boy said that the police had given him a stack of posters of the Prime Minister and ordered him to put them up around his neighbourhood. The Iraqi Electoral Commission has received complaints that some parties have warned voters that they would "go to Hell" unless they supported their candidates. Others have used photographs of influential religious leaders, such as Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, in their campaign posters even though the Shia cleric is not running in the elections.

While voters may be confused by the experiment in democracy, they cannot complain about a lack of choice. There is a Communist Party, with the message of a "free country and a happy people", a monarchist movement pledging the restoration of the Hashemite dynasty, and even a party under the banner of Abdul Karim al-Qassim, the former brigadier-general who seized power in a military coup.

Voters from the Sunni population, many of whom may boycott the vote, will find themselves well represented should they visit the polling stations. Ghazi al-Yawer, the President, Adnan Pachachi, Iraq's elder statesman, and even the Islamic Iraq Party, which has officially pulled out of the vote, will present party lists on polling day.

Political pundits agree that three of the coalition lists will dominate Sunday's polls. The United Iraqi Alliance, a loose collection of more than 100 parties supported by Ayatollah al-Sistani, is expected to win as much as 40 per cent of the vote, drawing on the support of the majority Shia population in central and southern Iraq and Sadr City, in Baghdad. Not only do Shias believe that they will finally win power after centuries as second-class citizens, they have also been told that voting is a religious duty. In spite of the strong religious backing, the party has been at pains to emphasise that it supports secular politics and rejects any notion of an Iranian-style theocracy. To make the point that it is not bound to Islamic doctrine, it put up posters of a beautiful girl with long, flowing black hair that looked more like an advertisement for shampoo.

The second-strongest coalition is the Kurdish Alliance, which could win up to 20 per cent of the vote. It is an amalgam of the two main movements, the Kurdish Democratic Party and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan. Both groups want to protect the autonomy they have achieved over the past decade in northern Iraq and ensure that Kurds have a powerful voice in central government. They could well emerge as key coalition partners in any future government.

The fate of Dr Allawi's Iraqi List is less clear. Condemned by critics as a puppet of America, and the man who authorised US forces to put down a rebellion in Najaf last year and storm the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah, he nonetheless commands respect among many Iraqis who believe that the country needs a hard man to restore authority. The rest of the seats are likely to be shared by several smaller parties.

One thing not in doubt is that the elections will go ahead and that there will be a result sometime next month. "I think that despite everything, many Iraqis will vote on Sunday," Fadel Alfatlwi, the head of the Iraqi Institute for Peace and an independent candidate, said. "With the occupation and all the horrible things that have happened, people dream that they will be wealthy and happy. That dream starts with the election."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:17 am
"Osama bin Laden and Zarqawi both know that free-election democracy is the death knell of terrorism. They also know that the potential impact of free Iraqi elections on the rest of the region -- including Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia -- is incalculable. The Iraqi elections will reverberate throughout the entire Muslim world, including Indonesia, Malaysia, and the whole South Asian tsunami zone.

Sophisticated policy observers know full well that rather than plotting a worldwide military invasion, Bush is constructing a statement of principles; that he is setting new standards and diplomatic benchmarks that will govern our foreign policy for decades to come.

Polling and reports on the ground in Iraq indicate there will be a blowout turnout for Sunday's election. The Iraqi election results for a new government and constitution-writing parliament will produce a pluralistic coalition that will end fears of a mullah-based theocracy or any return of Saddamite Baathism.

Bush's inaugural vision will be proven right. His speech will be vindicated, and along with it will come a foreign-policy triumph of moral idealism, human rights, and freedom over the cynical "realist" view that after all we have seen in the past 25 years we can still do business with dictators and despots in the name of stability."
http://realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-1_29_05_LK.html
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:26 am
Foxy - another bit of history getting little or no media coverage (surprise, surprise)......

"In its most dramatic response yet to new Palestinian policies against violence, Israel ordered its army Friday to stop offensive operations in the Gaza Strip and scale them back sharply in the West Bank.

The army was ordered to stop targeted killings and arrests of wanted Palestinian militants unless they present an immediate threat to Israeli lives, to lift an unspecified number of roadblocks in the West Bank to ease movement and to reopen all three crossings into the Gaza Strip.

The Israeli prime minister, Ariel Sharon, said Thursday night: "I believe that the conditions are now ripe to allow us and the Palestinians to reach a historic breakthrough in the relations between us."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/01/28/news/mideast.html

Of course, it's too early to tell, but it sure is a good sign Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:29 am
dyslexia wrote:
Blatham did you know that if you close your eyes really tight and then stick the tip of your finger into the corner of the eye you can watch cartoons?

LOL...yes, I discovered that one evening after taking a large blue pill.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:31 am
PDiddie wrote:
"If we just let our vision of the world go forth, and we embrace it entirely and we don't try to piece together clever diplomacy, but just wage a total war... our children will sing great songs about us years from now."

-- Richard Perle

(insert Mr. Cherry Kool-Aid emoticon here)

"embrace it entirely". Don't, whatever you do, think for yourself. Let us handle that tough stuff for you.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:32 am
I'm in the Middle East and can tell you that ambulances aren't allowed near bombing victims any more - too many such vehicles were highjacked by suicide bombers in the past.

Note to Ticomaya: your opening statement that you didn't expect too many posts was proven wrong - why, do you think? The blue caterpillars (ahem!) are a suspect <G>
0 Replies