Bush supporters' aftermath thread

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:56 am
kelticwizard wrote:
And why we are at it, exactly why is the major media giving Jeff Gannon/Guckert such a free ride?

They ran their stories, found they had no legs ... end of stories. The MSM didn't really play up the bizarre stories that the Bush Administration flew the planes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon, or had prior knowledge of the attacks, either. Even with their liberal bias, MSM isn't known for constantly running the conspiracy theories of the wacky far left.

G/G got a lot of play in liberal blogs, and certain threads on this site, but there really wasn't a story there. Certain folks tried to manufacture a story where none existed. It appears you are one of them.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:11 am
KW writes
Quote:
What baloney. What happened during the buildup of the Iraq war?

The major media outlets did almost no skeptical reporting. They just lay down while the Administration and it's supporters did it's best to convince the nation that we were just weeks away from clouds of Saddam Husseins's poison gas enveloping whole states at a time. I have never seen such a servile period in American journalism in my life, as I saw in the buildup to Iraq. Unbelievable.

I believe the MSM was reflecting the views of most of the Democrats in Congress whom they generally treat quite favorably. At the time of the build up to the Iraq war, most of those Democrats, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerrey, were behind the effort as was the Clinton administration before them. It was the Democrats pushing Clinton to do something about Saddam Hussein, not the Republicans.

As soon as the Democrats thought they could use the negatives in the Iraq war against the Republicans, most turned tail and began speaking against the war, and voila! Surprise, surprise, so did the MSM.

Which pretty well blows your theory out of the water, KW. Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:25 am
And in defense of JW's Scrappleface satire, I am posting the following. I apologize for its length, but I don't know how long it will be available on the internet. (Emphasis mine)

Missing the Perfect Storm
The MSM ignores a story tailor-made for them.
by Edward Morrissey
08/03/2005 12:00:00 AM

THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA is often inconsistent in covering stories. They gave us wall-to-wall coverage when George W. Bush's National Guard service came under scrutiny, but suddenly made themselves scarce when over two hundred Vietnam veterans pointed out hole after hole in John Kerry's service narrative. When Rush Limbaugh ran into legal problems surrounding his addiction to painkillers, we heard breathless updates on subpoenas and court orders, but when Eason Jordan revealed his predilection to slandering the U.S. military, again the press pulled a disappearing act.

Michael LeBoeuf once commented that the elements of the perfect fiction would involve religion, royalty, sex, and mystery--and then boiled it down to one sentence: "My God," said the Queen, "I'm pregnant. I wonder who did it?" Is there a grand-unified theory of media interest and if so, what elements need to come together to make the perfect journalistic storm?

We often hear journalists claim that their mission consists of afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted. One crucial element must therefore put powerful people under a spotlight. Some journalists say that they fight for the little guy, the downtrodden, which means that the story must include victims. Still others like investigative work, digging through arcane paperwork and doubletalk to reveal misdeeds that otherwise would never come to light, which means that a crime or at least unethical conduct would help draw interest. And finally, big money always attracts a crowd and helps audiences relate to the disgraceful actions unveiled by the reporter.

Thus, the perfect journalistic storm would arise when powerful people victimize the poor and downtrodden, breaking laws or at least ethical constructs, by taking money meant for their benefit. That sort of story will get anyone's attention. All it takes is one reporter to tell the story, and the rest of the media will jump all over it. Right?

ACTUALLY, this perfect-storm story is already percolating in the blogosphere, and oddly enough, hardly anyone in the mainstream media is paying attention to it. Brian Maloney at Radio Equalizer noticed a short blurb in the local-only July 26th edition of the New York Daily News reporting that a well-known corporation had taken money from a Bronx non-profit charity--city government grant money earmarked for poor kids and Alzheimer's patients. The corporation's CEO had also served on the board of directors for Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club and had quarterbacked a "loan" to his struggling company using these earmarked funds. The Daily News also noted that the money added up to almost a half-million dollars, funds that should have provided services to the elderly and the disadvantaged children of the borough.

On July 27, Maloney then contacted other bloggers to publicize this sensational story. The news that a corporation had apparently taken government money intended for poor kids and Alzheimer's patients to fund their operations spread through the blogosphere. Many bloggers featured the story on their sites, some to pass along the alleged malfeasance to their readers, others to defend the corporation--even after the corporation confirmed the essential elements of the story while trying to avoid responsibility by blaming previous ownership.

One would expect that mainstream journalists would want to take advantage of this opportunity to cover this harmonic convergence: A greedy corporation had taken a half-million dollars of city grant money from two certifiably sympathetic and traditional victim groups in order to pay off its already-wealthy employees. Surprisingly, only three mainstream outlets did so: the Washington Times, in an editorial calling attention to the blog reports, a New York Post article doing much the same, and a New York Sun article detailing even more extensive malfeasance on the part of the CEO. After speaking with the president of the charity's executive committee, Jeanette Graves, the Sun's David Lombino discovered that the CEO in question got the loans using rubber-stamp replicas of Ms. Graves's signature on documents never seen by her. A wire transfer of over $400,000 of the charity's funds went to the corporation, also without her knowledge.

In fact, the amount in question now totals $875,000, which the corporation's new ownership discovered on its own but never revealed to authorities. This company has now belatedly agreed to repay the money--but over two years, while the charity remains under funded for its tasks and suffered the loss of other government contracts due to its nonperformance on these earmarked grants. What a story! What a blockbuster!

Yet most of the mainstream media has been oddly silent. Why?

WELL, FOR ONE THING, we have thus far neglected to name the corporation involved. The company that took money from
poor kids and Alzheimer's patients to pay off its high-priced employees is Air America and the CEO was its original founder, Evan Cohen. Air America broadcasts its liberal views on American politics in several cities around the country, attempting to compete with the much more robust conservative talk-radio industry and mostly failing.

The mission of the mainstream media to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable, to tell truth to power, and to hold the reverse Robin Hoods accountable for their malfeasance wouldn't depend on the politics of the criminals.

Would it?

LINK
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:31 am
Sozobe has posted a piece from the Onion on the Plame thread that pokes fun at the Bush Administration. I think it's funny. But why don't you run over there and tell her to stop posting her prepackaged satire and post thoughts of her own, KW?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:37 am
Not really satire, but made me laugh ...

Quote:
In My World: Recess Appointment

"I would just like to say that the misdeeds of the Bush Administration can not go ignored!" Ted Kennedy said on the Senate floor, "He's like a drunkenness that overtakes us and causes us to careen off a bridge. Maybe we can get ourselves out of that car, but there are still others left, sinking inside. Calling the police would seem to some to be the best course of action, but that's not what I'm going to do. That's not what the American people would want. That's..."

A bell rung.

"RECESS!!!"

The Congress all cheered and ran out back to the Capitol playground. Some went for the swing sets while others played hop scotch. Another group played touch football.

"You tagged me too hard!" Voinovich yelled and then started crying.

"Give the ball back!" Frist yelled at Hillary.

"No! It's mine!" Hillary answered, running off.

Unknown to Congress, they were being watched from afar.

President Bush set down his binoculars. "Good, the fools are all at recess. It is time to unleash... THE BOLTON! Muh ha ha ha!"

"Are you mad?" Scott McClellan shouted, "He's been locked in there waiting for a vote for weeks now! He's gotten even crazier! He'll..."

Scott was silenced with a backhand to the face. "Quiet, fool!" Bush yelled. "Condi, will do the honors and release him?"

"Certainly," Condoleezza Rice answered as she smiled evilly. She then grabbed a rope connected to a lock on the steel doors. With a yank, the lock was undone. Suddenly, the iron doors were smashed open.

"Bolton smash!" Bolton screamed, his mustache bristling with anger, "Bolton destroy!"

"Control him!" Bush commanded Condi.

"You want to destroy the U.N.," Condi told Bolton in a soothing voice, "It's the U.N. you hate."

"Bolton... crush... U.N.!" Bolton shouted and then stomped off.

A red rubber ball landed near Bush's feet. Harry Reid then came running after it grumbling, "If Santorum was the one who kicked it so hard, he should have to go get it." Reid then saw Bush and Bolton storming off in the distance. "You appointed Bolton while we were at recess!" he shouted at Bush, "You're a doo-doo head! That's what you are!"

"Get back to recess," Bush answered as he picked up the ball, "I'll help you play." He threw the ball as hard as he could into Reid's face, knocking him to the ground and breaking his glasses. "There, you're out."

"We were playing kickball, not dodgeball," Reid cried. "You're the meanest President ever!"

"Throw him into the Pit of Doom!" Bush commanded Scott.

"We don't have a Pit of Doom."

"Then throw him into the... uh... Potomac."

"That's not really my job as Press Secretary..."

Bush smacked Scott again. "DO IT!"

"The Bolton is coming!" Kofi Annan screeched, "Someone fill out the paperwork needed to allow guns to be fired in defense of the U.N."

The bureaucrats got hard at work. Kofi then handed the papers out to the armed guards instructing them on the two places they had to initial and where to sign and date at the bottom.

"Bolton destroy U.N.!" came a cry. Kofi looked out to see Bolton emerge from the water, walking in steady pace towards the U.N. Headquarters.

"Quick!" Kofi screamed, "Someone notarize those documents so we can begin shooting at him!"

A couple notary publics raced to stamp the documents. Then, the guard opened fire on Bolton.

This made Bolton so enraged he put his hand on his hips. He shouted, "'Stache Strength!" and then his mustached glowed until the glow covered all of Bolton. Now the bullets merely deflected off of him as he continued slowly walking towards the U.N. Headquarters.

"The Bolton is unstoppable!" screamed one aide.

"What do we do now?" a diplomat cried.

Kofi Annan stood still as he watched Bolton come ever closer. "We die."

"In local news, a tubby man was seen throwing Senator Reid into the Potomac," the anchorwoman said, "Now back to our top story: The U.N. Headquarters, upon accepting Bolton as the U.S. Ambassador, has been reduced to a radioactive pile of rubble."

"Bolton 'reformed' the U.N. even quicker than I hoped," Bush laughed, "Muh ha ha ha!"

"No evil laughter in bed!" Laura shouted as she turned off the T.V.

"Sorry, dear."
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:41 am
Laughing good one Tico
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:18 am
This one isn't really pertinent to the discussion, but in light of the 'off the record' reporting re the Plame case, anything whatsoever that Bush, Cheney, any other member of the administration or any member of Congress or any talk show radio host might say, I think it might be pertinent. It illustrates the double standard mindset depending on whose ox is being gored:

Excerpt
Quote:
I then wrote what I thought was an innocuous item in our "Under the Dome" column Thursday in which I quoted her response: "The day I say Dick Cheney is going to run for president, I'll kill myself. All we need is one more liar." She says I shouldn't have quoted her "because we all say stuff we don't want printed."

My affair with Helen LINK
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:52 am
Foxfyre wrote:

I believe the MSM was reflecting the views of most of the Democrats in Congress whom they generally treat quite favorably.

I don't believe MethylSulfonylMethane actually reflects anything. I think it is a useful chemical for joint pain. What this has to do with Iraq is questionable, unless Bush strained his cheek muscles keeping a straight face while he told the nation why he had to order the inspectors out so he can invade.

Foxfyre wrote:
At the time of the build up to the Iraq war, most of those Democrats, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerrey, were behind the effort as was the Clinton administration before them. It was the Democrats pushing Clinton to do something about Saddam Hussein, not the Republicans.

Excuse me, but Bill Clinton bombed Hussein because he felt that he was not complying woth the UN order. That is quite a difference from putting 175, 000 troops in there and telling the nation that the entire region is in danger from WMD's which turn out not to exist.

Foxfyre wrote:
As soon as the Democrats thought they could use the negatives in the Iraq war against the Republicans, most turned tail and began speaking against the war, and voila! Surprise, surprise, so did the MSM.

Joint pain treatments don't speak.

Over and above that, Congress gave the president the right to invade if he wanted to, (more about that later). That still left the final decision to invade up to the president, and he has the responsiblitly to justify it.

Let me repeat: In the second round of inspections, the inspectors were getting the cooperation they sought from the Iraqis. Weapons were being accounted for, sites were being inspected according to plan. The inspectors had the run of the country. Not so in the first round, but in the second round. So what happens? Bush orders the inspectors out and invades.

Now what the heck is the point of that? Simple. Bush was not hearing what he wanted to hear from the inspectors, so he decided to invade anyway. That's the long and the short of it. 1800 American lives later, it is up to Bush to tell us why that was acceptable.

One more thing-it is now known that Bush encouraged reports favorable to an Iraq invasion and discourged those with evidence that showed against it. Those are the reports Congress had to rely on when they made their decision to give Bush the power to invade if he felt it was necessary. All the more reason that Bush has to shoulder responsibility for the final decision to invade.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:40 am
Ticomaya wrote:

They ran their stories, found they had no legs ... end of stories.

Watergate didn't have any "legs" until Woodward and Bernstein started diging into it,

Quote:
The MSM didn't really play up

I did not know that sulfur compounds could play up anything.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 04:56 am
KW,
You said while talking about conservatives and tv..."Rush Limbaugh tanked twice".
Sorry,but his only tv show ran for 3 seasons.
He only did the one show.

One thing I have noticed about talk radio is this...
The conservatives use humor,satire and laughter often,but the liberal talk radio always seems to be angry.
They dont ever seem to laugh about anything.
Why is that?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:26 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
The MSM didn't really play up ...

I did not know that sulfur compounds could play up anything.

If you're going to insist on posting to this acronym-friendly thread, you really should learn the language.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
I believe the MSM was reflecting the views of most of the Democrats in Congress whom they generally treat quite favorably.

KW responded
Quote:
I don't believe MethylSulfonylMethane actually reflects anything. I think it is a useful chemical for joint pain.

The site I get much of my source material uses MSM as an acronym for main stream media as do other sites as does the MSM itself. You really ought to study up on this stuff.

Quote:
What this has to do with Iraq is questionable, unless Bush strained his cheek muscles keeping a straight face while he told the nation why he had to order the inspectors out so he can invade.

Tico look! Give KW a break. He's trying to insert humor here. He didn't do it very well, but he did try.

Don't you think the inspectors would have been really pissed if we hadn't ordered them out before we started bombing?

Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
At the time of the build up to the Iraq war, most of those Democrats, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerrey, were behind the effort as was the Clinton administration before them. It was the Democrats pushing Clinton to do something about Saddam Hussein, not the Republicans.

KW responded
Quote:
Excuse me, but Bill Clinton bombed Hussein because he felt that he was not complying woth the UN order. That is quite a difference from putting 175, 000 troops in there and telling the nation that the entire region is in danger from WMD's which turn out not to exist.

Excuse me, but then what did all those Democrats making speeches and writing official letters to Bill Clinton want when they urged him to deal with Saddam's WMD as a major threat to the USA and others? What did Bill Clinton mean when he said that? This was before George Bush as president was even a glint in the elephant's eye. Or is it only Republicans who say what they really mean?

Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

KW responded
Quote:
Joint pain treatments don't speak.

Again, you really should study up on this stuff so you don't sound so....well...ignorant on this subject.

[/quote]Over and above that, Congress gave the president the right to invade if he wanted to, (more about that later). That still left the final decision to invade up to the president, and he has the responsiblitly to justify it.

Let me repeat: In the second round of inspections, the inspectors were getting the cooperation they sought from the Iraqis. Weapons were being accounted for, sites were being inspected according to plan. The inspectors had the run of the country. Not so in the first round, but in the second round. So what happens? Bush orders the inspectors out and invades.

Now what the heck is the point of that? Simple. Bush was not hearing what he wanted to hear from the inspectors, so he decided to invade anyway. That's the long and the short of it. 1800 American lives later, it is up to Bush to tell us why that was acceptable.

One more thing-it is now known that Bush encouraged reports favorable to an Iraq invasion and discourged those with evidence that showed against it. Those are the reports Congress had to rely on when they made their decision to give Bush the power to invade if he felt it was necessary. All the more reason that Bush has to shoulder responsibility for the final decision to invade. [/quote]

I know you and several other anti-Bush types desperately wish to believe this. Unfortunately, the record simply doesn't support your take on most of it.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:29 am
Ticomaya wrote:
If you're going to insist on posting to this acronym-friendly thread, you really should learn the language.

That particular acronym is direct from right wing Blogspeak, and is designed to give the reader the impression the writer is so immersed in expertise on the media, he has to resort to initials much as experts in any field do.

Moreover, talking about Mainstream Media, by it's nature, opens up the issue of non-Mainstram Media, which is largely talk radio and blogs. No wonder the blogs push the word so much. No wonder right wing blog readers try to give the impression that this is normal speech.

However, a brief survey of the search engines shows that MSM for Mainstream Media is VERY far down the list of meanings for the the letters, behind such commonly discussed institutions as the Morehouse School of Medicine and the Maastricht School of Management. Those are ahead of Mainstream Media as usages. And most people have not heard of either institution.

Just because the blogs have decided that a self-serving acronym is the standard for something does not make it so. By a wide margin, the only thing MSM stands for in general usage is MethylSufonylMethane, an apparently effective joint medication, and blog acolytes should know how annoying they sound when they pretend otherwise.

Is that clear now? Very Happy
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:37 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Don't you think the inspectors would have been really pissed if we hadn't ordered them out before we started bombing?

The point is that since Bush got the country all whipped up for war on the grounds that Saddam had WMD's, he should have let the inspectors do their work and find out for sure.

If the UN did not have inspectors doing their work unfettered, then the argument that he did the best he could with the information he had to work with would be more sensible.

But he had the means to find for sure, the inspectors were receiveing-in the second round-the cooperation they needed, and he decided to cut short the process and invade anyway. So the argument that Bush did the best he could with the info he had essentially collapses.

PS: Just as an aside, plese note how much criticism Hans Blix received from pundits and Adminstration supporters. All the insults, all the put downs. Then it turns out Blix was right all along.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:53 am
kelticwizard wrote:
And why we are at it, exactly why is the major media giving Jeff Gannon/Guckert such a free ride?

Ticomaya wrote:
They ran their stories, found they had no legs ... end of stories. The MSM didn't really play up the bizarre stories that the Bush Administration flew the planes into the World Trade Center...liberal bias... MSM....conspiracy theories....wacky far left.

..... there really wasn't a story there....folks tried to manufacture a story where none existed....

Nowhere in this "analysis" of yours is there as single sentence which deals with the facts of the case.

The facts are these-Jeff Gannon, a $300 and hour male hooker, recieved passes to attend presidential press conferences despite the fact that
A) He did not work for a legitimate news service
B) Legitimate news services have to apply weeks in advance to get the passes.
C) Gannon was not even his real name-it is Guckert.

Moreover, Guckert received daily passes to the White House under his assumed name. He claims this happened by just walking up and giving his name, and they let him in. Again, other, legit news organizations have to apply weeks in advance for these passes, and they did not get them every day, either.

The White House denies that anything out of the ordinary has occurred, but the fact is that people cannot just walk up to the White House and get daily passes. Nobody has been able to ascertain how Guckert even got ONE pass in there, and nobody has dealt with the question of what Guckert is up to when he went to the White House every day.

If a Democrat did that, they would be all over the story. Let the Bush White House do it, and the issue just lays fallow.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:30 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

That particular acronym is direct from right wing Blogspeak, and is designed to give the reader the impression the writer is so immersed in expertise on the media, he has to resort to initials much as experts in any field do.

Moreover, talking about Mainstream Media, by it's nature, opens up the issue of non-Mainstram Media, which is largely talk radio and blogs. No wonder the blogs push the word so much. No wonder right wing blog readers try to give the impression that this is normal speech.

However, a brief survey of the search engines shows that MSM for Mainstream Media is VERY far down the list of meanings for the the letters, behind such commonly discussed institutions as the Morehouse School of Medicine and the Maastricht School of Management. Those are ahead of Mainstream Media as usages. And most people have not heard of either institution.

Just because the blogs have decided that a self-serving acronym is the standard for something does not make it so. By a wide margin, the only thing MSM stands for in general usage is MethylSufonylMethane, an apparently effective joint medication, and blog acolytes should know how annoying they sound when they pretend otherwise.

Let me rephrase: If you're going to insist on posting to this conservative-friendly thread, you really should learn the language.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:32 am
kelticwizard wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:
They ran their stories, found they had no legs ... end of stories. The MSM didn't really play up the bizarre stories that the Bush Administration flew the planes into the World Trade Center...liberal bias... MSM....conspiracy theories....wacky far left.

..... there really wasn't a story there....folks tried to manufacture a story where none existed....

Nowhere in this "analysis" of yours is there as single sentence which deals with the facts of the case.

The facts are these-Jeff Gannon, a $300 and hour male hooker, recieved passes to attend presidential press conferences despite the fact that
A) He did not work for a legitimate news service
B) Legitimate news services have to apply weeks in advance to get the passes.
C) Gannon was not even his real name-it is Guckert.

Moreover, Guckert received daily passes to the White House under his assumed name. He claims this happened by just walking up and giving his name, and they let him in. Again, other, legit news organizations have to apply weeks in advance for these passes, and they did not get them every day, either.

The White House denies that anything out of the ordinary has occurred, but the fact is that people cannot just walk up to the White House and get daily passes. Nobody has been able to ascertain how Guckert even got ONE pass in there, and nobody has dealt with the question of what Guckert is up to when he went to the White House every day.

If a Democrat did that, they would be all over the story. Let the Bush White House do it, and the issue just lays fallow.

Um ... the left-wing's wacky Gannon/Guckert threads are way ... over ... there. I'll join you if you want to take up this discussion there.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:50 am
Quote:
Poll: McCain, Giuliani would both beat Hillary
Survey shows Clinton, Kerry losing in hypothetical races
Posted: August 3, 2005
1:55 p.m. Eastern

With three years to go until the next presidential election, potential Republican candidates for the presidency fare better than Democrats in a new poll by the Gallup Organization.
[list]Gallup poll shows McCain and Giuliani beating Clinton or Kerry (chart: Gallup)
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/gallup08032005a.gif[/list]
In hypothetical matchups, both Arizona Sen. John McCain and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani would defeat New York Sen. Hillary Clinton by a margin of 50 to 45 percent.

If Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry were the Democrats' nominee, the margin of victory for the GOP candidates is even greater, at 54 to 41 percent margins among registered voters.

Of the four figures Gallup asked about, Giuliani is rated most positively, with 64 percent of Americans saying they have a favorable opinion of him and only 19 percent with an unfavorable opinion. Clinton (53 percent) and McCain (51 percent) have similar favorable ratings, although Clinton is the much better-known figure (only 4 percent do not have an opinion of her, compared with 27 percent for McCain).

Clinton's unfavorable ratings (43 percent) are nearly twice as high as McCain's (22 percent).

Kerry is the only candidate of the four with higher unfavorables (48 percent) than favorables (42 percent). That reflects a significant shift from last fall, when Kerry averaged a 52 percent favorable rating and a 44 percent unfavorable rating in five October Gallup polls leading up to the presidential election.

At least a majority of Americans had viewed Kerry favorably following his surprise victory in the Iowa caucuses and continuing through Gallup's final pre-election poll.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:54 am
Ferget about Clinton; keep your eye on Wesley Clark.

Bold prediction is that he will be the next Dem candidate for Prez.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
Oh lordy, I hope the Dems pick Wesley Clark. He would be so easy to pick off on so many fronts, we should be able to take all 50 states easily. But it would be such a boring campaign.....okay, I'm conflicted.

Meanwhile, if Drudge has this right, and he usually does, the NY Times has sunk to a new low:

Quote:
NY TIMES INVESTIGATES ADOPTION RECORDS OF SUPREME COURT NOMINEE'S CHILDREN

**Exclusive**

The NEW YORK TIMES is looking into the adoption records of the children of Supreme Court Nominee John G. Roberts, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The TIMES has investigative reporter Glen Justice hot on the case to investigate the status of adoption records of Judge Roberts' two young children, Josie age 5 and Jack age 4, a top source reveals.

Judge Roberts and his wife Jane adopted the children when they each were infants.

Both children were adopted from Latin America.

A TIMES insider claims the look into the adoption papers are part of the paper's "standard background check."

Roberts' young son Jack delighted millions of Americans during his father's Supreme Court nomination announcement ceremony when he wouldn't stop dancing while the President and his father spoke to a national television audience.

Previously the WASHINGTON POST Style section had published a story criticizing the outfits Mrs. Roberts had them wear at the announcement ceremony.

One top Washington official with knowledge of the NEW YORK TIMES action declared: "Trying to pry into the lives of the Roberts' family like this is despicable. Children's lives should be off limits. The TIMES is putting politics over fundamental decency."

One top Republican official when told of the situation was incredulous. "This can't possibly be true?"

Developing...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3jra.htm
0 Replies