Midnight Election Night

georgeob1

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:37 am
au1929 wrote:
HofT
I feel strongly that religion is what divides this nation and is heading it in the wrong direction.

Well, as they say, it takes two to divide (or tango). The people who are trying to CHANGE the direction of this country are the militant secularist proponents of the new religion of political correctitude. It is more intolerant and less forgiving than the old ones.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:44 am
HofT
Quote:
Yes AU, you explained that before. I don't agree with you, and - with due deference - consider that position to be typical of chronic paranoia prevalent in the jewish community.

What you choose to call chronic paranoia I would call knowing and understanding history. The Jews have been under the heavy yoke of majority religions for almost 2000 years. And as you know have not faired very well.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:46 am
True enough, and they have proven to be just as intolerant as their former oppressors when they have the upper hand.

And, despite a thousand undeserved hardships, they have fared very well indeed.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
HofT wrote:
Hello Dys! Nice translation in your signature but it should read "sur UN fil" and "A ma manière".

As to kneepads and porkbellies - isn't it a bit early in the day to be drinking?!

While it's usually helpful to have correct syntax, I assume you understand the intent and that follows my personal theory of language in which communication is superior to "correctness"
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
George
Even if that were so and no doubt you are referring to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Does that in your mind justify the oppression, murder, massacres and expulsions inquisitions of 2000 years by majority religions? Is that in any way supposed to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I see the majority religion being so involved and gaining so much influence in the government and governing of the nation? A president who with his religious agenda is making every effort to blur the lines between separation of church and state.
If that is being paranoid so be it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
George
Quote:

Tell that to the millions who were killed and the billions of the unborn.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
georgeob1 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
HofT
I feel strongly that religion is what divides this nation and is heading it in the wrong direction.

Well, as they say, it takes two to divide (or tango). The people who are trying to CHANGE the direction of this country are the militant secularist proponents of the new religion of political correctitude. It is more intolerant and less forgiving than the old ones.

Here's an idea.

The Dems would have a chance at winning an election IF they stop insulting the beliefs of the majority of voters and craft a campaign advocating what the majority believe.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
So Larry when the majority believe the earth is flat, the liberals should advocate falling off the edge in support of the masses? Well, it's an interesting alternative to birth control but probably won't become popular.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
Larry wrote

Quote:
The Dems would have a chance at winning an election IF they stop insulting the beliefs of the majority of voters and craft a campaign advocating what the majority believe.

Sounds like a Bushism. Congratulations. :wink:
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:27 am
dyslexia wrote:
So Larry when the majority believe the earth is flat, the liberals should advocate falling off the edge in support of the masses? Well, it's an interesting alternative to birth control but probably won't become popular.

I agree. That would not be smart. Biut the Dem campaigns are not known, judging by the results, to be smart.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:27 am
au1929 wrote:
George wrote:

Tell that to the millions who were killed and the billions of the unborn.

Did this just morph into a pro-life debate?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:28 am
au1929 wrote:
Larry wrote

Quote:

Sounds like a Bushism. Congratulations. :wink:

Thanks. Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:33 am
Ticomaya
Your question does not deserve recognition. One would hope you know better.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:59 am
I thought Tico made an excellent observation.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:39 am
Well, according to this article
http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/newscontent.php3?artid=10089
a number of Jewish voters share in this paranoid fear of persecution already admitted by AU, so no need to pile on him personally.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
Hoft
I resent your use of the word paranoid. Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:02 am
May I quote you, AU

"If this is paranoia then so be it."
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:03 am
au1929 wrote:
George
Even if that were so and no doubt you are referring to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Does that in your mind justify the oppression, murder, massacres and expulsions inquisitions of 2000 years by majority religions? Is that in any way supposed to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I see the majority religion being so involved and gaining so much influence in the government and governing of the nation? A president who with his religious agenda is making every effort to blur the lines between separation of church and state.
If that is being paranoid so be it.

Sorry, that was the EXACT quote.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:15 am
Hoft wrote
Quote:
Yes AU, you explained that before. I don't agree with you, and - with due deference - consider that position to be typical of chronic paranoia prevalent in the jewish community.
[/b][/i]
Note: it was you who initially called in paranoia. Nevertherless, calling it paranoia is uncalled for. Should I call the actions of the religious right paranoid.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:19 am
It is not my purpose to argue articles of faith, AU. But at least I can state demonstrable facts:

52% of the electorate voting for Bush ALSO belongs to assorted ethnic /religious groups which ALSO were killed, persecuted etc over the past several millenia and they ALSO know history.

If this isn't paranoia then why the claimed monopoly on fear of persecution? Nobody else seems worried.
0 Replies