Midnight Election Night

georgeob1

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:36 am
Grace and dignity in defeat appears to be absent from the ranks of the liberal left.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:39 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Grace and dignity in defeat appears to be absent from the ranks of the liberal left.

Consistent with the graceless and undignified campaign rhetoric leading to the serial defeats in this decade.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:46 am
Quote:
The people have made their decision in the way of our Republic. Can you accept it, Joe?

I accept it, of course, and I think I've made it clear on other threads that I intend to hold the winner's feet to the fire, no matter who that winner was.

We now officially hold the same position on human sexuality as the most radical of the Islamic sects we say we oppose, isn't that an odd position for a country that proclaims itself as the embodiment of freedom?

I don't think there is any doubt that the election result will benefit the recruitment of terrorists. Anyone?

and, there is no doubt that if the present economic policies are continued unrestrained bin Ladin's hope that we bankrupt ourselves will be fulfilled.

I guess it's up to the rest of us to hope for better even though we find ourselves in the minority.

Joe
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:57 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

I guess it's up to the rest of us to hope for better even though we find ourselves in the minority.

Better to change your strategy, move toward the center (without joining the GOP), and work, rather than hope, for better.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:07 am
You've got to be kidding
We hold the same position on sexuality as radical Islam? Are you kidding? Nobody is in any way advocating dragging people into the streets and stoning them. We are simply saying that marriage has a traditional meaning that we would like to keep intact rather than have judges change it for us. The referendums are simply a way to allow the people, rather than a few judges, to decide what they want. IMO, they shouldn't be necessary - the folks who want to change the definition of marriage should have to reqest laws to do so, but judges who outstep their authority force things to occur backwards.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:25 am
Re: You've got to be kidding
Idaho wrote:
We hold the same position on sexuality as radical Islam? Are you kidding? Nobody is in any way advocating dragging people into the streets and stoning them. We are simply saying that marriage has a traditional meaning that we would like to keep intact rather than have judges change it for us. The referendums are simply a way to allow the people, rather than a few judges, to decide what they want. IMO, they shouldn't be necessary - the folks who want to change the definition of marriage should have to reqest laws to do so, but judges who outstep their authority force things to occur backwards.

What do you think a constitutional amendment defining marriage is if it's not one step toward tyranny? Confused Isn't that the plan with 4 more years of the same?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:29 am
This time bush actually won it....a sad commentary on what has happened to americans, the majority of the country have been played, cowed, flattered,frightened and cojoled into the party line.

It's a sad day for the america I grew up in.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:46 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
This time bush actually won it....a sad commentary on what has happened to americans, the majority of the country have been played, cowed, flattered,frightened and cojoled into the party line.

It's a sad day for the america I grew up in.

I am sure the America you grew up in is the same one I did...where the people have the opportunity for a peaceful revolution in our government every 4 years as determined by the majority electoral votes of the states.

We have the opportunity to change or stay with what we have. Which is what we did yesterday.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:49 am
be comforted in your beliefs Larry.....
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:52 am
True ignorance is rampant.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:58 am
George, Larry, any other fellow Republicans here:
leave these people alone, I enjoy reading their totalitarian ideas - the people have spoken, so the people must be wrong, and only the left knows the true path for the nation!

They are merely laughable at this point <G>
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:00 am
No BPB, Bush won because he is a better alternative than Kerry. Why must democrats believe that the voters who do not vote their way are stupid? Or are cajoled into the party line? Or anything else you claim?

The obnoxious snobbery of believing you are intellectually superior to all who hold different opinions does not become you or anyone else. As far as I am concerned, you can all sit back and cry all you want. Please, continue to go around making idiots of yourselves by saying things like "Bush ain't my president", or any of the other stupid things said about republicans on here this morning.

You just don't get it. You tried to make this election about hatred of Bush and nominated a guy who was just too far left for a majority of Americans to stomach. I believe there were many republicans ready to consider a democrat, until Kerry got the nomination.

Kerry has (seemingly) lost and it has no more to do with republicans voting the party line like sheep than a Kerry victory would have been his followers voting the party line like sheep.

So smile and get over it. You got four years to get things right next time. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:03 am
Nice confluence of posts there. One demonstrating what the other decries in the other side.

Ah well.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
Actually this is a debate.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:07 am
nowhere in my comments boys did I mention the word stupid so you should probably back off the defensive on that count........I would think you would allow me to stubbornly hold to my beliefs in the face of any conflicting opinions or opposition....after all, this is a trait you greatly admire in bush and one he himself has trotted out throughout his entire presidency to illustrate that he's his own man and can't be swayed from the right path.....well, I feel the same way and will stick to my beliefs.......so why is it a negative in me? Because you don't like my message that's why.....so hop off the high road fellas...we're all down in the dirt here.....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
HofT, I have got to ask you about your avatar.

Is that the Bill of Rights burning?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:16 am
Forgive me for actually saying that you came out and said republicans who voted for Bush were stupid. You are right, you did not actually say that. It is my fault for thinking that what you did say equates to stupidity. It does in my book, but maybe not in yours.

So feel free to strike the line that says you called republican voters stupid.

Also, I am not complaining about you holding on to your beliefs. I have no problem with you holding beliefs different than mine. I am all for that. It is what makes this country so successful imo. But this morning alone I have read several posts like yours which have said, in spirit if not in words, that republicans do not think for themselves, are led along by their leaders like sheep, etc, etc. And I guess I just get tired of it and see no sense in that type of dialogue. You and most (I said most) others on here are better than that. At least I thought so.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:18 am
I agree with much of what you say, CoastalRat.

But do you think HofT's "They are merely laughable at this point" doesn't fall in the same category?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
ebrown_p: cute won't cut it.

If you had a clue you would be able to trace the site where the avatar originates, to wit FAS (Federation of American Scientists).

I see you're in Boston, though, where I also happen to be today, so in the spirit of being gracious in victory I'll buy you a drink if you like. I'll be finishing some research at the MIT computer center today, so can meet you near Kendall Square or in Back Bay where I live. Your call.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:21 am
Now that Bush has been elected president the GOP position in both the senate and house have been strengthened and the restraint of balance of power is virtually non existent. What can we expect in the next four years relative to:
Roe v Wade
The makeup of the supreme court
Stem cell research
Patriot act.
Social security
Bush's religious agenda and the power of religion in government
Amendment to ban same sex marriage.
Health care.
0 Replies