Midnight Election Night

HofT

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:21 am
Sozobe - totalitarian ideas are merely laughable when the people massively reject them, as happened yesterday. They're not in the least funny for the people who let those who are "more equal than others" take over.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Forgive me for actually saying that you came out and said republicans who voted for Bush were stupid. You are right, you did not actually say that. It is my fault for thinking that what you did say equates to stupidity. It does in my book, but maybe not in yours.

So feel free to strike the line that says you called republican voters stupid.

Also, I am not complaining about you holding on to your beliefs. I have no problem with you holding beliefs different than mine. I am all for that. It is what makes this country so successful imo. But this morning alone I have read several posts like yours which have said, in spirit if not in words, that republicans do not think for themselves, are led along by their leaders like sheep, etc, etc. And I guess I just get tired of it and see no sense in that type of dialogue. You and most (I said most) others on here are better than that. At least I thought so.

I believe that the bush gang has fooled the people and brought them in line systematically, purposefully, with malice and with no intent other than obtaining and maintaining wealth and power. I think the majority of americans swallowed the hook. I stand by that belief, and I also think at some point, once a fish has swallowed the hook, they are coming on to the boat and they are not getting another chance to get back in the water. It's a very sad thing.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:23 am
Yes, Sozobe, I think it does. On another thread started by Debra_law I also complained about her post and a post right after hers by a republican. I am an equal opportunity complainer about such things.

Why must we denigrate each other? We had two men with differing views on how to run our country. One won, the other lost. Now that it is over must we turn on each other by saying one group of voters is somehow less thoughtful than another? Why not just admit that we have different beliefs and accept that?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Yes, Sozobe, I think it does. On another thread started by Debra_law I also complained about her post and a post right after hers by a republican. I am an equal opportunity complainer about such things.

Why must we denigrate each other? We had two men with differing views on how to run our country. One won, the other lost. Now that it is over must we turn on each other by saying one group of voters is somehow less thoughtful than another? Why not just admit that we have different beliefs and accept that?

it is not a good idea to stand in a burning building and debate our differences in fire prevention and fire fighting.......we will all burn up together.....except for the arsonists who started the fire....they will watch it burn from a safe distance as they plan their next one....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:26 am
Kudos, CoastalRat.

I also am an equal opportunity complainer.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:32 am
Next time I am in a burning building, I will keep your advice in mind. But since we are not in a burning building........

I for one am willing to move on and try to work with what we have for the next 4 years. And continue to have some good debate with you and others here over the policies and actions of this admin. I think I am mature enough to do so without insinuating that you and other dems are weak-minded followers without the desire to make decisions on your own.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:33 am
And thanks, Sozobe. Good to know that at least someone else is willing to call it like they see it regardless of the politics of the offender.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:34 am
This nation is now in a situation that is in many ways similar to the 1850's; rapid social/technological change, fear, and a wide disparity on what constituted the shared assumptions of civil society. The last time we were in the condition we could not resolve it without a bloody and destructive civil war. We should all keep that in mind.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Next time I am in a burning building, I will keep your advice in mind. But since we are not in a burning building........

I for one am willing to move on and try to work with what we have for the next 4 years. And continue to have some good debate with you and others here over the policies and actions of this admin. I think I am mature enough to do so without insinuating that you and other dems are weak-minded followers without the desire to make decisions on your own.

and that is where we part company....I believe america is a burning building and I believe the current administration started the fire.....and they've been fanning the flames for 30 years......its taken awhile, but things are going as planned for them.......
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:37 am
Wow, Acquiunk.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:40 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Yes, a bad night for Dems, but a very good night for terrorism.

Joe

I am devastated and emotionally exhausted. America may, in fact, may be "over". How sad. We are a country of similarities and differences, and every elected leader has a clear choice as to whether to underscore our common ground or use our differences to divide us. Bush and Rove have chosen the latter path, and it has worked for them. What they don't understand, however, is that, in the end, they will have destroyed the essence of this unique and remarkable country: our ability to be united by our commitment to common ideals - liberty, justice, equality - and, at the same time, to be strengthened and enriched by our differences. And what will remain will be a bland, homogenous, intolerant, self-serving, lock-step, fundamentalist Christian theocracy, a theocracy not unlike alQuaeda. The terrorists will have won, but not our defeating them; rather, by our becoming them.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:43 am
angie wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Yes, a bad night for Dems, but a very good night for terrorism.

Joe

What they don't understand, however, is that, in the end, they will have destroyed the essence of this unique and remarkable country: our ability to be united by our commitment to common ideals - liberty, justice, equality - and, at the same time, to be strengthened and enriched by our differences.

Anita

Not with the country so closely ideologically divided, it won't. We agree on the common ideals, but are about equally divided on how to achieve them.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:56 am
Larry434 wrote:
We agree on the common ideals, but are about equally divided on how to achieve them.

That's the problem, we don't. The shared assumptions about what constitute those common ideals is fraying badly.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:00 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
We agree on the common ideals, but are about equally divided on how to achieve them.

That's the problem, we don't. The shared assumptions about what constitute those common ideals is fraying badly.

I don't you will find a Dem or GOP politician who does not embrace "liberty, justice, equality ".

But they will disagree vehemently about how to achieve those ideals.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:08 am
Larry writes
Quote:

But unfortunately, they don't agree on how those are defined.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:12 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Larry writes
Quote:

But unfortunately, they don't agree on how those are defined.

Please elaborate.

BTW, FOX is reporting AP says Kerry has called Bush and conceded.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:13 am
Larry434 wrote:
"liberty, justice, equality ".

To offer you but one example, "liberty". It has now been pared with "security" (The Patriot Act) It has been argued successfully in public debate (this election) that the later is paramount to the former. That is something new.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:15 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
"liberty, justice, equality ".

To offer you but one example, "liberty". It has now been pared with "security" (The Patriot Act) It has been argued successfully in public debate (this election) that the later is paramount to the former. That is something new.

I don't think so, both sides agree that security is essential to continued liberty.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:15 am
Larry wrote
Quote:

I don't you will find a Dem or GOP politician who does not embrace "liberty, justice, equality ".

You left out the one poison that is infecting this nation. Religion. How much different is there between the fundamentalist's of any religion when it relates to imposing their beliefs on others?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
au1929 wrote:
Larry wrote
Quote:

You left out the one poison that is infecting this nation. Religion. How much different is there between the fundamentalist's of any religion when it relates to imposing their beliefs on others?

They cannot "impose" their beliefs. But their faith commands them to witness them.
0 Replies