Usama Bin Ladin goes to bat for John Kerry. Why?

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 01:35 pm
Quote:
That is unless YOU find it politically convenient to call al Zarqawi "NOT" al Qaeda for purposes of this discussion.

On the contrary, Bush had several opportunities to nab Zarqawi, and in his usual fashion, dropped the ball. He also had many opportunities to secure those weapons depots that I'm sure Zarqawi had a hand in pilfering and is now using against our own troops.

As usual, great job, Bush.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
sozobe wrote:
OK, the discussion has gone kind of all over the place, but I want to follow up on what I said about fundamentally different approaches, and how each side perceives insult + thinks the other side is wrong.

I'll say for purposes of trying to illustrate this idea that we have two posters, Thinker and Feeler. (Both are a simplification, neither is an actual poster.) Thinker arrives at his positions by analysis of facts, with a lesser emphasis on gut feelings. Feeler arrives at his positions by gut feelings, with a lesser emphasis on analysis of facts.
I've seen this argument advanced many times (though seldom with me on the feeler side), and it never really works. Most commonly, it's used to differentiate between male and female thought processes and although on a very broad scale there is some truth to it, it is a hopelessly inadequate model for accessing individuals. The second most popular use of it seems to have been conservatives explaining why liberals just don't get it. Again, it is hopelessly flawed as soon as you consider someone like Nimh. So is the reverse as soon as you consider someone like Asherman.

Now in a political comparison between Nimh and I; I would agree that he is the deeper thinker. I've met few people on or off the web that dedicate as much time and energy to precision and accuracy as he. Indeed, that is the reason I went after him, even while dismissing other's weaker positions along the way. It is the strength of his arguments that make's me seek him out in the first place.

sozobe wrote:
Feeler thinks Thinker is a bit of an emotionless automaton (that word was chosen purposely), who is elitist and a little disconnected from "just folks." Thinker thinks Feeler is bright but crippled by the need to like a candidate personally.
Not logic. The title merely states the obvious. OBL slammed Bush... why? The answer to that why: could be Pro-Bush, Pro-Kerry or Pro neither one... but it is just plain silly to deny either that he slammed Bush or that many who are going to bat for Kerry do so by slamming Bush. Is Frank Apisa batting for Kerry? What's his preferred method again? Idea

A little sidebar here. The close of that last point demonstrates why I'm so lousy at articulating my thoughts. My point was clear and concise but my delivery is probably too confrontational and provocative and will likely illicit responses from that aspect rather than the meat of the point. I suspect it is this running on at the mouth that makes it more difficult for people to understand my positions... especially when they are predisposed not to. Those not offended by my frequent excesses usually understand me just fine. (Again, believe it or not, I am working on this and have made progress :wink:)

sozobe wrote:
Each extrapolates from their own position and puts the others' position in their own terms. Feeler, not trusting the candidate, thinks that Thinker is making justifications, using that high-falutin' intellect to gloss over imperfections while ignoring his gut -- in Feeler's terms, a good thing. Or, again in feeling terms, Feeler thinks Thinker hates the incumbent so much that there is a knee-jerk reaction against the incumbent and for the challenger. Thinker, in thinking terms, is confused by the lack of consistency and logic in Feeler's position, the fact that Feeler is putting so much stock in his gut feeling -- in Thinker's terms, not a good thing.
This misconception, I am responsible for myself. I suspect you were too severely affected by my high praise of Nimh's intelligence on another thread. At the risk of sounding arrogant (though why that would suddenly begin to bother me, I don't know :wink:), I've tested in the upper 10% on every comprehensive scholastic test I've ever taken and the upper 1% on IQ tests. I have a very healthy respect for high intelligence, but don't confuse it with envy or confusion.

What I do envy; is perseverance. I test higher on IQ tests than my sister for instance, but her lifelong diligent study habits have resulted in a knowledge base that dwarves mine on a wide range of subjects. It is this same trait in Nimh that I find so admirable. Which again, is why I went after him when he suggested Kerry would be worse for Bin Ladin. I'd rather be proven wrong than to make a mistake while feeling right. The best way to test a theory is too subject it to rigorous testing and see how it holds up. Nimh's typically emotionless, profoundly knowledgeable, liberal viewpoint makes him the ideal person to change the mind of a stubborn bastard like myself.

sozobe wrote:
Obviously nimh and O'Bill are the models here, but I added in some other people and tried to get both perspectives. I thought of it when you, O'Bill, said something about not being moved by any of nimh's answers re: Kerry. To me, that was a weird thing to say. "Moved"? Who cares? When you examine the facts, what do the facts tell you?
I had long since come to a conclusion based on what the facts told me. There remains an ever so slim possibility that another's perspective may lead me to believe that my fact-based conclusions are erroneous. Nothing Nimh said did. That you would equate my use of the term "moved me" with some emotional gut reaction speaks volumes to me about how lousy I must be at expressing myself on this forum. While I've certainly been known to go off half-cocked now and then, by and large, I will let you know if I'm guessing. I generally don't have opinions I can't fortify, either. When I feel my opinions are not holding up to scrutiny I try to admit it, out-loud, as a matter of pride. This is something of a mental bookmark for me to remind me to more closely examine where my logic jumped the tracks.

sozobe wrote:
Then I started thinking about how if the terms are fundamentally different, you and nimh can keep talking past each other (though, again, I wholeheartedly agree with all that nimh said.)
<smiles> Of course you do. So would my sister and bro-in-law. As would virtually every other liberal thinker you asked. Our fundamental differences aren't found in the Feeling Vs. Thinking equation though. I used to think it didÂ… and wondered why all you liberals were incapable of rational thought.

To make a recent example: Abu Ghraib. Conservatives mostly looked past it as just a dirty, almost inevitable side-effect of war while liberals elevated the significance of it to what I would consider irrational heights. Of course we all agree that things like that should never take place. However, they do, and have in virtually every war there ever was and I'd bet the severity and quantity of the offenses is usually much worse than it was (and likely still is) in this conflict. To use these kinds of incidents as anti-war talking points is beyond absurd when you consider the comparable treatment guests at Abu Ghraib received prior to our taking over management of the facility. Does my rationale excuse the deplorable behavior? No... but it does place it in the nearly trivial category when one considers the BIG PICTURE. If you think I'm wrong, I assure you that's your feelings trumping your thinking response.

I didn't bring up Abu Ghraib to re-debate that dead horse some more. I brought it up as a shining example of how two conclusions can be reached from the same facts, while neither is arrived at out of a lack of thought or knowledge. My preference for simple solutions probably magnifies this effect on others perspective of my opinions. I assure you; I read more than your average person about every subject that interests me. I have learned that it is usually a mistake to assume your opponent in a political debate can only reach his conclusions out of ignorance (For clarification: I consider "gut feeling" a kinder way of saying ignorant). That is a mistake I probably make myself as often as people make it about me. I suspect that it's one of the main reasons the political threads can be so frustrating for some. How can you possibly think that, aarrrrghhh.

<shrugs> This has been an attempt to clarify my own thinking process for anyone who may be interested. If past performance is indicative of future results, I will probably have been very unclear to half the people who read it. No comments are necessary, though all are welcome. If anything in here offends anyone, please accept my apology in advance because as usual; that was not my intention. <shrugs again>
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
Bush and his cronies keep saying we killed or captured 75% of AlQaeda leadership. What they don't tell you that it has been replaced, and the numbers of Al Qaeda and Bin Ladin's popularity in the Moslem world has soared That as a result of the Iraqi invasion. Bush should know if you want to kill a snake you must cut off it's head anything less and it will regenerate.
Regarding Al Qaeda being in Iraq. Yes, they are no doubt involved and support the insurgency. However, that too was the result of Bush's war. Al Qaeda was not a factor in Iraq under Saddam.
Has the Bush's foolish attack of Iraq enhanced or diminished the chances of a terror attack? IMO he couldn't have done more for Osama if he had helped carry the explosives.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
sozobe wrote:
Thomas wrote:
So I would agree that Osama Bin Laden is trying to bat against George Bush, that wasn't the question O'Bill had asked. He had asked "why" -- not whether -- OBL is batting for John Kerry. And to that my response remains "wrong premise -- he doesn't".

Precisely.

Threecisely.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:26 pm
dlowan wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Thomas wrote:
So I would agree that Osama Bin Laden is trying to bat against George Bush, that wasn't the question O'Bill had asked. He had asked "why" -- not whether -- OBL is batting for John Kerry. And to that my response remains "wrong premise -- he doesn't".

Precisely.

Threecisely.
Denial through word play. At least 50% of the Pro-Kerry argument is via slams on Bush (99% in Frank's case). Outside of political convenience, what justifies this distinction? Especially after I've already clarified in detail, repeatedly, what I meant when I wrote it?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:36 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Denial through word play. At least 50% of the Pro-Kerry argument is via slams on Bush (99% in Frank's case). Outside of political convenience, what justifies this distinction? Especially after I've already clarified in detail, repeatedly, what I meant when I wrote it?

What justifies which distinction?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:42 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dlowan wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Precisely.

Threecisely.

Bill - it is simply true that you assumed what you were arguing to be the case as an assumption in your argument.

That is intellectual dishonesty - or ignorance - as I implied in my first post.

And worse than that in the current cimate in your country, in my opinion.

Call the rules of rational debate wordplay if you like - am I to assume in future that this is what you mean when you say "wordplay"?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:47 pm
Hey, corecting him more than once is superfluous. If he's already corrected his statement I suggest we get off his back.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:52 pm
Yes Einherjar - and he continues to deny it and to attack us for daring to say it.

I am sick of this stuff.

I know I am over reacting - and this is just a website which influences nothing - but, to see debate descend to the level it has here (I mean the site - not just in this thread) where people are using the drivel of a man like bin Laden to - in effect, no matter how much it is denied - imply some sort of connection between terrorism and a candidate in this election actually makes me sick.

Just as the Gore Vidal stuff posted on another thread against Bush did.

I know this has been a vicious election campaign - but this stuff is seriously low.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
It is one thing to do it in normal times - but just before an election?

As I said earlier - I am sure bin Laden is sitting back and laughing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:28 pm
dlowan wrote:
Bill - it is simply true that you assumed what you were arguing to be the case as an assumption in your argument.
Deb, please. My original wording was snotty because it could mean two things at once. That's no excuse for you to insist on only the snotty definition being valid. That is intellectual dishonesty.

dlowan wrote:
Call the rules of rational debate wordplay if you like - am I to assume in future that this is what you mean when you say "wordplay"?
Do you really see a difference between Pro-Kerry and Anti-Bush in this political climate? Or Pro-Bush and Anti-Kerry for that matter? There has been no meaningful distinction before now.

Enter Bin Ladin. I make a little joke, by truthfully pointing out a Kerry-backer influence in his words... prior to asking what is his motivation... and all you can focus on is the valid-comparison slight? That is just silly, in any climate. Why get so emotional about it?

dlowan wrote:
Yes Einherjar - and he continues to deny it and to attack us for daring to say it.

I am sick of this stuff.
We're all sick of this stuff, but overreacting won't help.

dlowan wrote:
I know I am over reacting - and this is just a website which influences nothing - but, to see debate descend to the level it has here (I mean the site - not just in this thread) where people are using the drivel of a man like bin Laden to - in effect, no matter how much it is denied - imply some sort of connection between terrorism and a candidate in this election actually makes me sick.

Just as the Gore Vidal stuff posted on another thread against Bush did.

I know this has been a vicious election campaign - but this stuff is seriously low.

((((((((Dlowan)))))))) I cannot imagine how that obvious, undeniable similarity between Bin Ladin's words and Michael Moore's words is having such an effect on you. I would agree with you that only a moron would think they are somehow in cahoots, but that's not what I said. Even the implication was subtle, well, I guess not subtle humor, well, I guess not so humorous commentary.

I'm sorry Dlowan, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot understand this type of response to it. If he's sitting back and laughing about it... it isn't over my joke, or Leno's, SNL or Bill Maher's jokes. It would probably be over the people who are taking it so damn seriously.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:33 pm
Thanks for your thoughtful response, Bill. I said earlier that I didn't really like what I'd posted, like it less now. (Note to self -- at least eat breakfast before posting your bright ideas from the night before!)

Here was my line of thinking, roughly: I like Bill. He usually has good, interesting things to say, even if I disagree with them. Why is he being so thoroughly illogical on the "Usama" thread?

I thought of some possible reasons, starting with the "moved" thing. (Still think that and "automatic" are interesting word choices.) Wanted to be equitable about it, but don't agree with how I characterized the nimh-ian position, either.

This seems like such a no-brainer to me, Bill. You start a thread called "Usama Bin Ladin goes to bat for John Kerry. Why?" when there is no evidence of bin Laden supporting John Kerry over Bush. What bin Laden HAS said is it doesn't matter whether it's Bush or Kerry, what matters is what actions you take, America. If anything, it should QUELL speculation as to who OBL would prefer -- he had his chance, spoke about the subject specifically, and all he has to say is Bush, Kerry, it doesn't matter -- what matters is what you DO in the Mideast.

So I tried to think of what could possibly make you persist. I still don't really get it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:35 pm
Just saw the latest post -- now trying to figure THAT out. So, you were never serious with this whole thing? OBL backing Kerry, ha ha, just kidding?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:47 pm
I don't get it either Sozobe. Maybe I should join Panz on the sidelines before I piss off the rest of the left leaning people I like on this site. How you, and Deb etc. can read the numerous slams on Bush's competence and yet deny that they're there, I have no idea. When did pointing out the obvious become offensive and how can denying the obvious somehow be more just?

Sozobe wrote:
Just saw the latest post -- now trying to figure THAT out. So, you were never serious with this whole thing? OBL backing Kerry, ha ha, just kidding?
Were you under the impression I was suggesting some kind of a real alliance? Is that why people are freaking out?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:57 pm
<gets a little bug-eyed>

<looks at dlowan, looks at nimh, tries to figure out what to say>

Uh, yeah!! Read this thread, dude! If this was all a joke ha ha just kidding OBL backing Kerry of course not, you sure couldn't tell.

Your first couple of posts were entirely irony-free, asking for translations and posting what you'd found. Then Dookie said the thing about bin Laden would LOVE for Bush to stay in office, you called it idiotic again, then there was this exchange:

joefromchicago wrote:
O'BILL: You've titled this thread: " Usama Bin Ladin goes to bat for John Kerry. Why?" But how exactly is Bin Laden "going to bat" for Kerry?

O'Bill wrote:
Excerpts I've heard so far are very critical of Bush... it's days before the election... Bush is perceived as the action man... and he's calling on less action against Al Qaeda... what do you think?

Again, not a very high irony/ chuckle content there.

Then I said, hey, Dookie's comment was not idiotic. Then we were off and running, with a lot about how Bush has validated a lot of OBL's paranoid ranting and criticism of Bush's handling of Iraq.

Who's denying slams on Bush's competence? He's incompetent, I'm happy to say it. It's been amply demonstrated by how he's run the war. Where was denial of slams on Bush's competence an issue?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
<gets a little bug-eyed>

Uh, yeah!! Read this thread, dude! If this was all a joke ha ha just kidding OBL backing Kerry of course not, you sure couldn't tell.

Your first couple of posts were entirely irony-free, asking for translations and posting what you'd found. Then Dookie said the thing about bin Laden would LOVE for Bush to stay in office, you called it idiotic again, then there was this exchange:

joefromchicago wrote:
O'BILL: You've titled this thread: " Usama Bin Ladin goes to bat for John Kerry. Why?" But how exactly is Bin Laden "going to bat" for Kerry?

O'Bill wrote:
Excerpts I've heard so far are very critical of Bush... it's days before the election... Bush is perceived as the action man... and he's calling on less action against Al Qaeda... what do you think?

Then I said, hey, Dookie's comment was not idiotic. Then we were off and running, with a lot about how Bush has validated a lot of OBL's paranoid ranting and criticism of Bush's handling of Iraq.

Who's denying slams on Bush's competence? He's incompetent, I'm happy to say it. It's been amply demonstrated by how he's run the war. Just, what does that have to do with anything?

Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:15 pm
Hey - folks - I dont wanna be pushy or anything - I know lots and lots of articles are posted here at length and ad nauseam - but, but, but ...

... did anyone read that really very interesting, instructive and sometimes surprising article about pretty much 3/4s of all that can possibly be said sensibly about the question raised in this thread's title and some other topics that came up as well, which I posted a few pages back?

I think fbaezer did <nods at fbaezer>. Lash? Bill? Tico? Anyone else? What do ya think?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:24 pm
sozobe wrote:
<gets a little bug-eyed>

joefromchicago wrote:

O'Bill wrote:

sozobe wrote:
Who's denying slams on Bush's competence? He's incompetent, I'm happy to say it. It's been amply demonstrated by how he's run the war. Just, what does that have to do with anything?

Shocked
I can ill imagine how anyone could have read all I've written here and thought I thought there was an actual alliance between Bin Ladin and John Kerry. I can ill imagine how anyone could think I'm retarded enough to believe something so ridiculous. I would pull my cheese and don the tinfoil first.

sozobe wrote:
Who's denying slams on Bush's competence?
Bin Ladin having chosen to draw attention to Bush's incompetence, slam him for Oil and family connections etc. is the beginning and the end of what I meant by "going to bat for Kerry." NOT an actual alliance.

sozobe wrote:
He's incompetent, I'm happy to say it. It's been amply demonstrated by how he's run the war. Just, what does that have to do with anything?
Alerting the Public to Bush's incompetence benefits John Kerry, you and everyone else who supports Kerry, yes? Bin Ladin did so repeatedly during his speech.
So: I pointed this out and then asked "why?"
Why would Bin Ladin slam Bush in the same way Michael Moore does?
Possible answers:
A. He wants people to see Bush's incompetence and elect Kerry.
B. He's pretending A. is what he wants, hoping that it will get Bush re-elected for purposes like Nimh described.
C. Just figured the timing and discussion that was sure to follow would get him maximum amount of exposure.
D. I could go on...

None of these answers can contradict the fact that he used talking points similar to ABB Kings Michael Moore and Bill Maher.

I can't believe this part requires further explanation.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:27 pm
BILL:

And I STILL can't believe you would use such a disengenuous title for your post.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:29 pm
I hadn't read that article, nimh. Easily 3/4.
0 Replies