If Jesus Christ were alive today, would he support the Democratic or Republican party?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:10 am
@Lash,
The Historical Christ we know did nothing but politics...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:49 am
All conjecture of course, since there is no hard evidence he existed at all.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
..yeah, of course Edgar, I should have pulled "storical" instead of Historical but oh well, the distinction is just ignored.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Isn't that a tad reductive? Or do you take "politics" as including ethics?
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:19 pm
@Olivier5,
i always thought that politics were the very antithesis of ethics

and US politics today are the very antithesis of ethnics
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:34 pm
@djjd62,
Hmmm... I'll take the bait. US politics these days are unethical, yes, but that's precisely an example of ethical problems in politics, so the two fields are not unrelated.

Machiavel argued that politics are a-moral, but I don't think it's so simple. Different rules applies. Raison d'Etat trumps individual ethics.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 03:45 pm
@Olivier5,
Yes. Every action you take even the absence of an action is both a political stance and it has Ethical and/or Moral implications.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 03:47 pm
@djjd62,
...oh you quite wrong on that...at least when it comes to Politic, not politics...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 07:43 pm
@djjd62,
I think politics enters into almost every relationship. Think about workplace politics...totem pole-ish-ness...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 07:50 pm
I'm agnostic, but speaking of Jesus as characterized in the Bible. Would be happy to entertain divergent opinions- using evidence from the text. Wink
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 08:03 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

and US politics today are the very antithesis of ethnics

I quite liked my joke, but maybe it was missed
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 06:23 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Yes, everything is political. In Jesus' case, the anti-establishment, anti-hierarchy, anti-rich message was pretty clear. The inversion of values (the poor will inherit the earth, the last will be the first etc.) is also subversive. Still, reducing Jesus to a political activist sounds a bit dry to me.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 08:37 am
@Olivier5,
Agree.
oristarA

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 08:58 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Hmmm... I'll take the bait. US politics these days are unethical, yes, but that's precisely an example of ethical problems in politics, so the two fields are not unrelated.

I wonder the range of "these days". Does it mean "since Trump swore in as master of the White House"?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:05 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
I wonder the ranger of "these days". Does it mean "since Trump swore in as master of the White House"?

Naah. It just got worse under him. I take Trump as a symptom of a deeper disease, not as the disease itself. He just took advantage of pre-existing weaknesses in the system. That's where I differ with Blatham, who tends to see Trumps' election as a sort of freak event. I see it as a continuation of a longer trend: the progressive gutting of the US democracy by economic elites. A trend that includes Clinton's pandering to Wall Street, to be crystal clear.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 09:07 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Agree.

Really? I don't think so! :-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 10:09 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I wonder the ranger of "these days". Does it mean "since Trump swore in as master of the White House"?

Naah. It just got worse under him. I take Trump as a symptom of a deeper disease, not as the disease itself. He just took advantage of pre-existing weaknesses in the system. That's where I differ with Blatham, who tends to see Trumps' election as a sort of freak event. I see it as a continuation of a longer trend: the progressive gutting of the US democracy by economic elites. A trend that includes Clinton's pandering to Wall Street, to be crystal clear.

You hit the nail square on the head.
revelette1

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 10:14 am
@Olivier5,
Actually, I think you're wrong regarding Blatham, but I'll let him speak for himself.

A lot of what you are saying is true, but, Trump is in a class by himself with his style and character. I am thinking a lot of these who thought he would be just a pen to sign whatever they wanted, didn't factor in Trump's tweet storms and other unpredictable behavior.
revelette1

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 10:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:

If you're thinking of the account of Jesus came to the temple and threw out the money changers or when he would talk about commandments vs. traditions or hypocrites who wore their religion on their clothing for show, I am not sure that was politics as much as cleaning the house of God so to speak.

btw-for purposes here you could just say the Biblical account of...But then someone would say, "which biblical account" then you would have to clarify and say the one in existence of which is taken to be the biblical account...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 10:56 am
@revelette1,
Forget the darn tweets. It's the wiping up of senseless hatred that's dangerous, the designation of specific reporters as "enemies of the people", the destruction of US institutions that provide value to the public (EPA, etc.), the increasing influence of the filthy rich, the covert influence of Russia on the US presidency, the wars that this asshole could start, etc. etc.