What made you smile today?

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 11:57 pm
@Krumple,
A future version of the platform will let users create their own communities and decide what voting is allowed in them. But I still see thumbs down on youtube videos and comments.
Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 12:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

A future version of the platform will let users create their own communities and decide what voting is allowed in them. But I still see thumbs down on youtube videos and comments.

Yeah youll see the down votes but they dont do anything anymore. The upvotes push the recommended watch this video and it use to push videos into obscuredom but not anymore.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 04:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
But I still see thumbs down on youtube videos and comments.

Have you ever seen a programme hosted by Gordon Ramsey where he looks at failing restaurant/hotels and tells them what needs fixing? Your above quotation reminds me very much of the responses he gets. You have an emotional attachment to the thumbs down/up feature and can't admit it's no longer fit for purpose.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Not all different people. We don't have time to deal with this now but we will filter such votes and reset the counts in the future. We will also permanently ban any users who do this (vote fraud).

I'm sorry Mr Gentel but those are just meaningless platitudes. The thumbs up/down feature is broken. Why not get a 13 year old to go on A2K, and ask them to fiddle with the thumbs up/down? I guarantee most of them could work out how to do it within 5 minutes.

As for permanently banning the offender, do you honestly think they're using their own account to do this? They're probably using a sockpuppet, and can switch to another the second the offending one is banned.

You've been talking about new features for at least two years and it's still just a pipedream. Jam tomorrow. Why not do something you can do right now, get rid of the thumbs, they're well past their sell by date?

Vote fraud is a rather grandiose description of the behaviour of multiple downthumbers on a tiny website like this, it's not determining the outcome of an election, get a bit of perspective.

Btw, I'm not the one doing the multiple downthumbing, and I have no idea who it is.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 05:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I have to accept him as my president or move to Canada, and I HATE Canadian pizza.
Right-O, important to keep priorities in order. And thumbs up for preserving the Constitution.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 04:35 pm
Moving on from the all-thumbs debate, I'm so happy that I can listen to NPR without hearing about Hillary and her stupid emails. And if there's a story about them, I don't have to care anymore.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 05:36 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You have an emotional attachment to the thumbs down/up feature and can't admit it's no longer fit for purpose.

As usual you have no idea what you are talking about but aren't going to let that stop you. I have no emotional attachment to them and don't think they are working well as they are at all.

Quote:
I'm sorry Mr Gentel but those are just meaningless platitudes. The thumbs up/down feature is broken.

You won't find any disagreement from me, but like I said I do not have time to change it now, and it will have to wait to be changed in a future version.

Quote:
As for permanently banning the offender, do you honestly think they're using their own account to do this? They're probably using a sockpuppet, and can switch to another the second the offending one is banned.

Do you think I have not considered such things? When I get around to banning users for voting fraud it will be comprehensive and I'll put the work into keeping sock puppets away as well.

Quote:
You've been talking about new features for at least two years and it's still just a pipedream. Jam tomorrow. Why not do something you can do right now, get rid of the thumbs, they're well past their sell by date?

Nothing is as easy as for the man who does not have to do it himself. As I have already stated I do not have time to "get rid of the thumbs" and these things do not magically happen when snapping one's fingers.

Remaking this site will take thousands of man hours and we'll get to it when we can afford it, this is a hobby and not our jobs.

I have a better solution planned and when I have time to implement it I will, you have no right to demand a whit of my time. I do not owe you anything, you are just a free user of one of my websites that I have paid to maintain and build, you do not so you don't get to call the shots and tell me how to spend my time.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 05:39 pm
Another successful recipe McGyvering.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:25 pm
To paraphrase one of my favorite Romantic poets (William Wordsworth), my heart leaps up when I behold a birthday check in the mail.

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 01:33 am
@Robert Gentel,
I haven't demanded anything just pointed out that getting rid of the broken thumbs feature is a far simpler stopgap than all the wonderful changes that are just around the corner.

Sorry for not being deferential enough.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 01:49 am
@izzythepush,
Ignoring the thumbs is what Ive always done. Rather than getting all schoolmarmy about it, just chill and ignore.

Breathe in, Breathe out.
See? Some people like to practice their math skills by counting these thumbs . The people who deliver the thumbs to the masses of us, I find, arent especially insightful (unless someone is espousing violence and really needs censure) . So BFD, why not just forget it ?.We really have no forensic tools to investigate the thumbers.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 02:12 am
@farmerman,
It doesn't bother me, but it is broken. You're right though, I'll ensure I'm not the slightest bit critical of A2K in future.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 02:33 am
@izzythepush,
there you go.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 06:58 am
It's a holiday in the US, but not here at The Widget Factory. (We get the
day after Thanksgiving instead.) So I drove to work in light traffic.

Ahhh.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 07:57 am
@George,
I'm also working this Veteran's Day. We also have the Friday after Thanksgiving off as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 08:27 am
as always, it makes me laugh to remember that this song was on the album that was part of my first exposure to the English language

Harry Lauder - A Wee Deoch An Doris

It's a miracle I ever made sense of the language.

Laughing
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 01:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Sorry for not being deferential enough.

You don't need to be deferential, just don't be a rude guest. You are a freeloading guest on my property and don't get to tell me what renovations to my property I must make (with my own time and money, not yours) to accommodate you.

You wouldn't do that if you were visiting someone's house so why on earth would being a free member of a website entitle you to my money and time? Not all websites are backed by millions or billions of dollars. This has always just come out of my pocket and there are limitations to what I resources I can afford to spend on it.

Yes I get that the future update is "vaporware" right now. That is because it will take several hundred thousand more dollars to implement and my business hasn't been able to afford that yet while we focus on what actually makes us money. We will do this as we can but our limitation is time and money. The new version is at least a year away, and I don't like talking about it this early. But when things change others complain that not enough notice was given etc so I talked about the new version briefly to socialize the changes that are coming.
chai2

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 01:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, you just made me smile.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 02:28 pm
I love being able to come here at all. The site is a part of the family to me, the way a dog or a TV is part of the family.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 02:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Most of us appreciate all you have done to develop this site. If and when you come out to the San Francisco Bay Area, please let us know. I wish to treat you to a great meal in the City.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 09:48 pm

Where's paradox?

All the polls were wrong

https://www.facebook.com/viralthread/videos/598130190359668/
0 Replies