What made you smile today?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 06:28 am
@RedEd,
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Inside Out’s Riley Is Going on Her First Date and Everyone Is Freaking Out
http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/watch-rileys-first-date-in-new-inside-out-short.html?om_rid=AAAgmh&om_mid=_BVzPdEB9EcMNw8
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 01:51 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJlmpNqUMAEDnYh.jpg

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 06:07 am
John Oliver. Again.

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 01:57 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/blasphemy_zpsvdyexxgn.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 08:02 pm
Just spent half an hour chatting with two young women who wanted to take pictures of the house and tree in front of it.

They lived here until about 20 years ago when their mom split from their step-dad. One of them had flown in from Vancouver for a visit and they wanted to see the old house. They seemed to have some very good memories.

They wanted to hear about their old neighbours. They'd hoped to see some - I pointed most of their old neighbours (who still live around here) are actually OLD now and aren't outside at 9:30 at night. They cracked up - realizing that yes some of their old neighbours are now people in their 70's and 80's.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:51 am
@FBM,
I wish you'd stop showing snippets of John Oliver before we get them. I saw it last night, very good.
FBM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 07:23 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I wish you'd stop showing snippets of John Oliver before we get them. I saw it last night, very good.

My bad. Posting spoilers is bad form. Embarrassed
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 09:42 am
@FBM,
It's alright I just don't click on it, but if there's a conversation I can't get involved.

It's shown Friday and Saturday nights here. I usually watch it on Friday, but we have our own topical comedy programme.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:05 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't think that show comes on air here, that man is brilliant.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 01:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Not bad for an Aussie. The show is good, fronted by three comedians two of whom are disabled. This is from a couple of weeks ago.

You don't get a lot of our good stuff, but you do get Benny Hill and Keeping Up Appearances, go figure.

Although a lot of the references are probably a bit too British/Australian for the American viewing public.
firefly

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 01:19 pm
This momma bear and her cubs beat the heat by enjoying a pool party in a New Jersey backyard.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:12 pm
@izzythepush,
And, what made me smile (yesterday actually) was having one of the kid's tweets read out on last night's show.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:31 pm
@izzythepush,
I haven't seen Benny Hill on local stations in years. I do remember seeing a documentary on his life, and he seemed very sad, certainly not a happy man. Ive forgotten most of the details but I suspect that most people lost their taste of Benny Hill after that.

No that I've made that comment it will probably pop up on one of the public stations.

I really don't understand "Keeping up Appearances", it just doesn't seem funny. But I never thought "Everybody Loves Raymond" was funny. The mother character was too over-bearing, just sucked the life out of the show for me.

What I find astonishing, is the number of Brits and Aussies working as actors in a ton of good TV. Americans in general can't do any British accent well, we mix them all up. But I am always stunned when actors are interviewed and their natural voice isn't a twangy Mississippi thing. I live right below the Mason-Dixon line and I can't do a twangy Mississippi accent. But the Brits and Aussies never slip up, it is spot on.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Izzy, I was admiring the actors skills, I hope it didn't sound insulting. The only American actress I can think of who is skilled in all accents is Meryl Streep.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 04:39 pm
@glitterbag,
About half the TV on offer is American. We hear American accents all the time. If half the TV you got was British your actors would probably get the British accents.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:19 pm
@nimh,
Instead of it being day 4 of a noticed cold getting worse it seems to be getting better. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 01:57 am
@izzythepush,
Apparently Nick Kyrgios is not the biggest dick! Hard to believe from our end.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:27 am
@margo,
Greg Dyke is on Radio Solent. He interviewed my daughter once. He's a total dick, and a horrible man.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 07:34 am
http://s6.postimg.org/idouck9u9/yalta_yolo_2.jpg
0 Replies