What made you smile today?

Mr Nice

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:50 am
@ossobuco,
Some of my neighbors are senior citizens, and I like listening to their past.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:57 am
@Mr Nice,
Mr Nice wrote:
Some of my neighbors are senior citizens, and I like listening to their past.
That 's a good way to learn history.

David
JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Good for you (in both senses), David. Old folks often need to talk about their lives and you need to listen. When I was a young man I used to go to McCarther Park in Los Angeles and strike up conversations with old timers sitting on park benches. It was an education. Eventually I became a professional social scientist. I think there's a connection.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:28 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Good for you (in both senses), David. Old folks often need to talk about their lives and you need to listen. When I was a young man I used to go to McCarther Park in Los Angeles and strike up conversations with old timers sitting on park benches. It was an education. Eventually I became a professional social scientist. I think there's a connection.

What does a professional social scientist do ?
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:47 am

Quote:
My brother has Down Syndrome and doesn't speak very well. This week while we were down the beach he tried to learn how to skim board.He would try and ask the other boys how they did it and they would laugh at him and walk away. The last day 4 teenage boys spent hours with him teaching him. They were so patient. He wouldn't stop smiling :)They GMH.

Quote:
The hardest part for me about my daughter being autistic is that she didn't recognize me as her mother. This week we were pointing at things in a book- "where's the cat?" "where's the ball?" and I asked her "where's the mommy?" and she turned around and pointed at me. GMH

Quote:
A boy was dying of cancer and needed an expensive brain surgery, but his family, broke and desperate, couldn't afford it. His 8 yr old took sister Tess took her piggy bank savings to a pharmacist in order to buy a 'miracle'. it just so happens that the right man witnessed the little girl's tears at the pharmacy counter: a neurosurgeon. He performed the surgery for free.

http://www.givesmehope.com
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:36 pm
oatmeal cookies and tea
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Look up sociology and social anthropology. One thing they have in common is that they interview people to understand their behavior its determinants and the meanings they attach to their lives.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:40 pm
Seeing JLN post makes me smile..
JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi dear; THAT makes me smile.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:57 pm
@JLNobody,
I could really tell a story about me smiling re JLN and my visit with him but it's very personal.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 06:00 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm NOT gay!

(although there's nothing with that).
alex240101

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:28 am
The spelling of a word.
Cowlick.
I have two cowlicks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:51 pm
I mis-placed my glasses for several hours. But then I found them, right where I had left them.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:53 pm
@JLNobody,
This sounds very interesting. Smile

Any chance of further details? Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I mis-placed my glasses for several hours. But then I found them, right where I had left them.

Do you have the problem of not being able to find your glasses because you're not wearing them!? I had to search for my old pair to find my current pair recently! Rolling Eyes
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
Hah, I lost mine for an hour on Friday, just when I was about to go out the door to the recommended eyeglasses place, me with the new prescription. (I'm a little wary, I like the old prescription right now, very sharp post surgery, but maybe the new one will be even better.) I rarely wear them in the house since most of the vision in them is re distance - I'm pretty good with near vision, and I have short rooms. They were under some foo foo in the bathroom. No, not doo doo, foo foo. Monday, monday, I'll try again. (I don't like Friday traffic much.)

On smiling today - the guy in the fish section (semi fresh fish, here!) was a kidder. I had to say, what?, as is my way. We worked it out to converse and laugh and I told him I didn't associate saturdays in grocery stores with laughing.
I let the seeming managerial type guy at the check out stand know I was pleased and he said he report it to the right people. I figure a kidder might need some support one of these days.

Although, when I first went in the store, there was another laugh. I bought a bottle of wine, that section being near the door. I headed down the shampoo etc. aisle looking for a shower cap. Couldn't find one. Left my cart at the end of the aisle and traipsed up the next aisle, got a shower cap, came back, and my cart was gone. I went to the front of those aisles, saw a familiar face among the albertson people, and she said 'can I help you?' I said someone took my cart. Was it empty? No, there was a bottle of wine in it. She said I'll find out. I said I don't care, as long as you don't arrest me for stealing a shower cap as I go to get a new cart by the door. Soon someone came running up with my bottle of wine. I said, I know I drink too much, but really... and she cracked up.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:25 pm
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9799/133crop.jpg
Gerringong lifeboat

The telephoto lens picks up things I don't see with the naked eye!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:43 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

Do you have the problem of not being able to find your glasses because you're not wearing them!? I had to search for my old pair to find my current pair recently! Rolling Eyes

I always know exactly where my new pair (which I never wear!) are...and they are in a red case so I can see them easily....in case I can't find the pair I wear.

JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:09 pm
@dlowan,
I couldn't find my (hard) contact lenses--I've worn a similar type since 1952 and never lost them--eventually realizing that I had both of them on one eye. Don't ask...
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:20 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I couldn't find my (hard) contact lenses--I've worn a similar type since 1952 and never lost them--eventually realizing that I had both of them on one eye. Don't ask...

Oh....that makes all kinds of sense to me!
0 Replies