Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 07:25 pm
@Thomas,
They do look similar..
I'm wondering if they're sweet or not.

I happen to be hungry right now.
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
The Ausgezogene are sweet. They are made of a donut-ish dough, get fried in lard, and covered with sugar powder. Although they may well induce heart attacks in us cholesterol-and-insulin-challenged people, who cares? They're worth it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:55 pm
The silver spray-painted, change-activated street performer walking with his wife, who pushed their child in a stroller, to the train after a hard day's work.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:41 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

The silver spray-painted, change-activated street performer walking with his wife, who pushed their child in a stroller, to the train after a hard day's work.

I'll bite. Describe his street performance.
Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
You know what I mean, those guys spray-painted gold or silver, who stand perfectly still like mannequins until passersby throw down some change. The performers then move like robots, like some coin-operated machine, for about a minute or so.

I saw one of them out of character, walking with a woman and child downtown. It was like something out of an Arbus photograph.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:17 pm
@Gargamel,
hmm. We don't have them in Charlottesville, VA. But there in, um, where, you do?
Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
Chicago. And I've seen 'em in New York, and London.

Check it:
TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:39 pm
@Gargamel,
The French Quarter of New Orleans is full of them, too. I think it's a Metro sort of thing. Surprisingly, I've never seen one here in Boston. All of our street performers are musicians.
margo

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:01 pm
I first saw them in Barcelona.

Have them here now.Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:15 pm
Today, in New York's Penn Station, I heard a street musician play a Reggae version of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. I never would have thought this could work. But it did, and it made me smile.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:19 pm
@Thomas,
I'm from Venice Beach, what else can I say.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:43 am
@TerryDoolittle,
Quote:
. . . Surprisingly, I've never seen one here in Boston. All of our street performers are musicians.

or jaywalkers
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:59 am
@TerryDoolittle,
TerryDoolittle wrote:
The French Quarter of New Orleans is full of them, too. I think it's a Metro sort of thing. Surprisingly, I've never seen one here in Boston. All of our street performers are musicians.
Good to know since I am going to New Orleans in a month Smile
TTH

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:28 am
Oh, I smiled waking up at home knowing I get to see my dog today Very Happy
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:43 am
@TTH,
You'll see all manner of street performers at Jackson Square.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:44 am
@TTH,
TTH--I am sooooooo jealous! Bring lots of singles; everybody there seems to work for tips.......and please have a cafe au lait for me!
Of course, I think your a brave soul to go to Louisiana in the summer....couldn't do it myself.

Taodays smile was pretty simple: I woke up and sat down to check my email as I do most mornings. Big grin when I saw there had been responses to this thread. Yeah, it's just the little things that keep you going. Smile
dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:47 am
mr and mrs Edgarblythe will arrive sometime this morning, Roger is expected around noonish and Osso will be around, looking forward to a pleasant day.
George

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:51 am
@dyslexia,
Wish I could be there. Have fun.
I gotta swing some kinda boondoggle to Alba.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:15 am
@TerryDoolittle,
Thanks George Very Happy
Terry I love the warm weather. I haven't ever been to New Orleans so I have to find things to do. It looks like I will be staying across the street from both the French Quarter and the Mississippi River.
TerryDoolittle

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:34 am
@TTH,
Finding things to do in NOLA is easy. I would recommend picking up "The Irreverent Guide to New Orleans." It's a straight talking guide that will give you some great tips and honest opinions about where to go and what to see.

George knows (hi George!) I could go on all day, but I will restrain myself.