Views of the US election from non-US folk

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:06 am
dlowan wrote:
Now posted in another thread - and used as an excuse for the ultra-right to post more revolting anti-democrat stuff - really hateful stuff. I do not get this intense hatred stuff - I mean, Howard makes me angry - but not rabid!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1007609#1007609

Mebbe they see the "sorry.com" stuff as on the same level?

Is it partisanship that makes me see the sorry stuff as sort of reasonable - and the stuff I just linked to as "lower than a snake's duodenum"?

(To think that tammy should look worthy of affection now!)

I find Gunga's post no less distasteful or hateful than the sorry.com post it followed. Have you looked through any of the pages on that site?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:20 pm
Latest poll in Mexico.

What will be impact of the Bush reelection in the Mexico-US relationship?

It will get better: 23%
It will be "just as good": 28%
It will be "just as bad": 33%
It will get worse: 10%

51% vs 43%
All in all, tepid optimism
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:29 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Now posted in another thread - and used as an excuse for the ultra-right to post more revolting anti-democrat stuff - really hateful stuff. I do not get this intense hatred stuff - I mean, Howard makes me angry - but not rabid!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1007609#1007609

Mebbe they see the "sorry.com" stuff as on the same level?

Is it partisanship that makes me see the sorry stuff as sort of reasonable - and the stuff I just linked to as "lower than a snake's duodenum"?

(To think that tammy should look worthy of affection now!)

I find Gunga's post no less distasteful or hateful than the sorry.com post it followed. Have you looked through any of the pages on that site?

Yes - that is what I was wondering. And I do acknowledge bias. I looked at the ones that were on the front page of the site - and all I saw was "sorry", "we tried" and such. I didn't see anything with the malice and viciousness of the hate-filled drek Gunga posted.

Is there nastier stuff somewhere in the site?

I dislike the hate and demonization stuff from both sides - I think it is sick, actually - and I have made myself unpopular with progressives here by saying so, too. I just did not see the same level on the sorry site.

Most of the reat of the world considers Bush to be very bad for the world, you know - and the religious fundy stuff scares me - it is actually reassuring to see that lots of Americans do not support him!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:05 pm
Yeah. I had earlier clicked on some random pages in its galleries. I just tried it again, but the site isn't working.
0 Replies

gav

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:42 pm
Yeah, I would say that the rest of the world dont really hate America, just the government,Bush and the almost 60million twats that voted for him.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:03 pm
It's what Bush DOES that's offensive.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:51 pm
dlowan wrote:

Nothing nasty on the first fourty pages.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:55 pm
Lol!!!!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:18 am
Einherjar wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Nothing nasty on the first fourty pages.

"Nasty" must be in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:34 am
This is a really tough issue. I couldn't count the number of times I've tried to discuss it here and then given up in frustration.

I love America. I say this with utter sincerity. My first wife was American, and likely my second will be as well, and my daughter has dual citizenship.

I think too that what America has achieved will be, if we manage to survive much longer, validly considered the fount of a Golden Age.

The folks in the south are far more friendly than is the case in Vancouver. The police in New York city are not merely the most approachable cops I've ever bumped into, they are hilarious, absolutely hilarious.

But what I've said above does not tell the whole tale.

At the international level, in trade and in other matters (eg, drugs), America is validly criticized as a selfish bully. Now, that's a critique one can make regarding just about any dominating nation (the Dutch, the Spanish, the English) but it can yet gain a lot of vituperative response.

The problem, the fundamental problem in my view, is the notion of an almost sacred exceptionalism...that America is somehow better or closer to perfection or closer to godliness than any other nation in the history of this sector of the galaxy, and that if you speak contrary to this notion, you are guilty, ipso facto, of mis-perception and serious profanity.

Athenian culture, the source of another golden age, maintained as part of their culture, frequent admonitions against hubris. If I could reach down from on high and shove one characteristic into 'the American psyche', it would be humility.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:40 am
*sniff* you had me at "America"... *sniff*
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
blatham wrote:
and likely my second will be as well

Exclamation
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:06 am
<< Passing McG the Kleenex Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:24 am
Who'd have thunk?

Wedding bells tolling on a furriner thread?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:42 am
McGentrix wrote:
*sniff* you had me at "America"... *sniff*

God, you are such a girl! Buck up! The Stars and Stripes isn't a goddamn hanky!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
sozobe wrote:
blatham wrote:
and likely my second will be as well

Exclamation

It seems the very best way to REALLY piss off McG and Foxfyre.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:37 pm
what a cad! Elopes to piss off some righties...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:16 pm
Sorry Blatham. I was quoting from that Jerry McQuire movie is all.

Oh, and you are free to marry as many times as you wish to whomever you wish. Why would you think that would bother me Question
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:29 pm
blatham wrote:
This is a really tough issue. I couldn't count the number of times I've tried to discuss it here and then given up in frustration.

I love America. I say this with utter sincerity. My first wife was American, and likely my second will be as well, and my daughter has dual citizenship.

I think too that what America has achieved will be, if we manage to survive much longer, validly considered the fount of a Golden Age.

The folks in the south are far more friendly than is the case in Vancouver. The police in New York city are not merely the most approachable cops I've ever bumped into, they are hilarious, absolutely hilarious.

But what I've said above does not tell the whole tale.

At the international level, in trade and in other matters (eg, drugs), America is validly criticized as a selfish bully. Now, that's a critique one can make regarding just about any dominating nation (the Dutch, the Spanish, the English) but it can yet gain a lot of vituperative response.

The problem, the fundamental problem in my view, is the notion of an almost sacred exceptionalism...that America is somehow better or closer to perfection or closer to godliness than any other nation in the history of this sector of the galaxy, and that if you speak contrary to this notion, you are guilty, ipso facto, of mis-perception and serious profanity.

Athenian culture, the source of another golden age, maintained as part of their culture, frequent admonitions against hubris. If I could reach down from on high and shove one characteristic into 'the American psyche', it would be humility.

Once more into the Breech !!!!

Perhaps the exceptionalism you see is not so much a sense of real superiority, as it is a sense of pride in the continuous creation of something new, that emerges both from the historical circumstances of our revolution and the assimilation over a very long period of time of waves of immigrants (legal and otherwise) from all over the world.

The United States has generally been reviled by the ruling classes in most European countries - except when they are confronted with real danger from another external or internal source. We have generally held a certain appeal at other levels in their societies - those that once were the continuing source of our immigrants. Americans are very often the descendents of Europeans who abandoned Europe in an effort to find an alternative to it. Europeans are the children of those who didn't make that choice.

On their journeys across the Atlantic those with a sense of adventure and an aquisitive, creative bent veered to the left and came to the States. The others went to Canada.

You should have asked me sooner !!.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:31 pm
Hmm, Blatham - I think that Imperial Britain, for example, had hubris aplenty - but it is not IN OUR FACES!!! America's is.

Imperial Britain excused its depradations, if it bothered to do so at all, in a similar way to current US think - eg "civilising (bringing democracy and liberty to) the savages (Middle East).

Athens suffered from terrible hubris, and possibly died because of it.

I think America's is no better and no worse. It is just overpaid, over-sexed and over here, NOW.
0 Replies