Views of the US election from non-US folk

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:51 pm
LOL DLowan - the only time anyone sees real action IS when things are out of control!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:59 pm
Hold on. I'm going to retrieve a photograph of my mother, naked.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:03 pm
blatham wrote:
Hold on. I'm going to retrieve a photograph of my mother, naked.

That certainly is against some Homeland Security Law and a deportation surely will be the consequence of such ...
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:08 pm
Walter - pls try to follow news: A.G. Ashcroft resigned, now our statues may appear nude, and so can Blatham's mother's photograph!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:22 pm
You are correct (they have a different morality in Mexico, I've heard).
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
hingehead wrote:
On a side issue on foreign aid - in many cases it doesn't even pay the interest on foreign loans, so in effect the developed world makes a profit from the developing world (as well squeezing it out of the market with tariffs and subsidies).

How much of "foreign aid" is delivered in the form of loans, and not pure subsidies? Einherjar, you seem to be on top of this issue.

http://www.debtchannel.org/themes/country/front.shtml

Webpage Title
Weird source, but I wanted to quote this bit
Quote:
two-thirds of US government aid goes to only two countries: Israel and Egypt.

http://www.spinneypress.com.au/134_book_desc.html
Quote:
• According to United Nations estimates, every man, woman and child in Africa owes the developed world $562. Rwanda, in central Africa, spends the equivalent of its health and education budgets combined paying interest on debt; in Indonesia, 30 cents of every export dollar earned is spent repaying foreign debt. (p.37)

TADA
Quote:
Yet today, more money goes out of Africa as debt repayments ($21 billion) than comes in as aid ($18.4 billion).

Q.E.D.

Quote:
Nigeria borrowed $5 billion, has paid back $16 billion and still owes $32 billion.

It took a while, but I was able to back the statement up. I started out trying to find debt and aid by country, but was unsuccessful.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:50 pm
OOH!

Quote:
From 1983-1989 a surplus of $165 billion went FROM countries receiving aid TO the countries who were 'giving' it. Again in 1994, the less developed countries paid out $112 billion more than they received.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:53 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You are correct (they have a different morality in Mexico, I've heard).

Not really.

This shoe advertisement (sorry folks, the picture I could find does not show the red pumps), which appeared in spectacular billboards all over Mexico was taken off in the city of Querétaro, officially on the grounds that the billboard was too big, after complaints from Catholic well-thinkers.

http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/images/ent/mus/2004/03/040325_pau_3.jpg
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
Mr Blair came to visit his old friend, Mr Bush, this week. In their press conference this afternoon, Mr Bush announced that he would be going to Europe "soon." Assuming he ventures beyond Downing Street, that should be an interesting trip. He may want to take the Presidential equivalent of ruby-slippers with him.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:58 pm
With or without shoes, is this the photograph of Blatham's mother?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:05 pm
It is not. Here is another who is also not mommy (note flag)

Picture removed...even I can't quite handle that one.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:16 pm
Come Blatham, we wanna see your mommy nekkid.

Show them puritan 'muricans that "the rest of the world" is not gagged by Bible Belt politics.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:18 pm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/storscrn.gif

Gagged? Not at all, we communicate in our own way!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:31 pm
Can we count smart weapons as foreign aid? They do cost a lot!

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/lgb_ani.gif
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:37 pm
Hoft, LOL. Maybe the US can say the 'liberation' of Iraq is in fact 'highly targeted' aid, too. That'll give them dodgy UN aid statistics a shakeup.

Einharjar - thanks, I think, for the research, I feel vindicated and depressed at the same time....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:05 pm
HofT wrote:
If we may for a moment return to the topic ...

Thank you, HofT!
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
hingehead wrote:
Hoft, LOL. Maybe the US can say the 'liberation' of Iraq is in fact 'highly targeted' aid, too. That'll give them dodgy UN aid statistics a shakeup.

Einharjar - thanks, I think, for the research, I feel vindicated and depressed at the same time....

You're welcome.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:41 am
Since our hostess Ms Olga gave a polite hint the thread isn't to digress uncontrollably, here's a link to Walter's thread on the reverse subject:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38624&highlight=&sid=0ea407368e55e925f4333d8fe039db54
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:46 am
You're a gentleman, HofT!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:12 am
msolga wrote:
You're a gentleman, HofT!

Is that the synonym for a lady with a sharp tongue? Laughing
0 Replies