Views of the US election from non-US folk

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:31 am
msolga wrote:
Grand Duke wrote:
... As an outsider, the US presidential elections seem like a bit of a circus to me ...

Me, too, Grand Duke .... The conventions, the huge rallies with the adoring party faithful! It's like show biz! All that razzmatazz! Oz campaigns are much more subdued affairs. We would NEVER get that excited over politicians: We know they're all liars & to take everything they say with a grain of salt! Laughing

So do we, so do we...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:32 am
deleted/repeat post
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:32 am
REALLY? Surprised The news clips look so convincing!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:58 am
Show business is supposed to be convincing -- and "news" is a vital part. Ever wonder why so few of us vote?

(Thanks for the thread, folks. Keep going.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
But all of this passion, anger, the tirades ..... I don't get why so few of you vote, given that you seem so involved!
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:06 am
Hey if Kerry wins I expect those people from those different areas to pick up arms and fight for the missions of the un so our soldiers can sit home once in awhile....

After all it seems we are the man power during most of the missions while other countries troops "sit out".

Sure vote kerry in so our troops wont have to deploy on anymore missions and let other countries of the UN pick up the slack for USA, Britians, and Aussie...

Cant wait.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:09 am
Gee, I can't wait, either. It'd be good if the US gave it a rest.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:29 am
Quote:
But all of this passion, anger, the tirades ..... I don't get why so few of you vote, given that you seem so involved!

It's a show... It's a show... As a people, we're more concerned with reality TV shows than elections. Which is why the whole process is left to people who are foaming at the mouth to choose between a couple of corporate shills -- all of which would be fine and good, except that they get so excited about it they have to believe that their guy is a good guy, that he really cares. The demagoguery is more than a little creepy. I wish we'd treat it for what it is: a big job search for a very high-level executive position of a very large company -- the United States government.

Sorry, that's my two bits, but they come from inside the U.S. and I'm sure strike the empassioned as cynical...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:33 am
<sigh>

I think you're right, patiodog. And not just for the US, either.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
Of course, very large companies don't seem to be doing such a great job in finding executives these days, either.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
What missions are you referring to?

And you are talking about the EU which is more than one country contributing ... we are one country and lets just contribute the amount that any ONE country contributes...

Hmmm 430 peacekeepers in the US ... Please give me the link where you got that info Please Smile I really beg to differ on that coonsidering the number of troops commited to ther missions besides Iraq and Afghanistan
Unless of course troops deployed elsewhere are termed NOT peacekeepers but something else entirely.

Our lack in support... which countries are critizing that ? just curious as to that as well...

Please give me the source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:00 am
Armyvet35 wrote:
What missions are you referring to?

I don't know what source Panzade is referring to, but you can find an overview of current UN peacekeeping missions here at the UN site. There's 16 ongoing ones right now, 7 of which in Africa. It also has these monthly overviews of "contributors of military and civilian police personnel", but I can't open them myself because my computer won't install Acrobat anymore and they're PDFs.
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:07 am
damn I am having a bit of a PDF problem myself... I shall go check out that site, and thank you
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:07 am
As for financial contributions, we had a long (and slightly volatile) thread here a while ago on "Changes needed to make a more effective UN", and I did some expansive research on who pays how much to what there. See this short post and then this long one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:09 am
Interesting thread. I think the "they're equally bad" stuff is bogus and itself as much a cause of our current woes as anything else, but don't want to derail the thread arguing it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:11 am
What's the problem here Vet?

Every time I give you facts that contradict your perception you start hollerin' for links...like I'm twisting the facts. My source is the OFFICIAL UN site, and I'll go back and get the link for you.
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:14 am
Hmm that site concerns me a bit... I looked at some of the past missions and it makes no mention of one US troop ever serving in Rwanda, I find that interesting and I am sure the 160th nightstalkers and a few other units would as well...
0 Replies

Armyvet35

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:14 am
Panze facts based on what?

Can you please link me your source?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:15 am
Armyvet35 wrote:
Panze facts based on what?

Can you please link me your source?

Laughing