Christian Democrats?

mesquite

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:17 pm
latilatilas

You get an A for coming to a website with a lot of knowledgeable people.

You get an F for picking the wrong forum to ask your question.

You also get an F for trying to get someone else to do your homework for you.

If you ask in the Science and Math forum and show your solution in your question, you will be sure to get help.

Science and Math
0 Replies

latilatilas

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:19 pm
i did, and its not homework, its just nobody is there

btw: its for an extracurricluar activity, for smart math students, and i didn't happen to catch the answer, and i need to know this stuff
0 Replies

latilatilas

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:20 pm
and my teachers would give me much more than one problem, so it would not be a whole homework assignment anyways

its math counts neways, thats y im confused

btw, its and E here, not an F

this is the first time i have seriously asked for help, and this is what i get... isn't that soo nice
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:50 pm
lati, you're new, so I'll cut you some slack.

You need to define your variables, then use the given information to generate equations representing the given facts.

Here's a start:

let x = the number of teachers
let y = the number of students
let a = the sum of the ages of all the teachers
let b = the sum of the ages of all the students

Can you use the given information along with these defined variables to generate some equations?

Remember, the question asked is "what is the ratio of number of teachers to number of students i.e. x/y = ?
0 Replies

latilatilas

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:00 pm
ok, thx give me a sec Smile
0 Replies

latilatilas

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
a+b/(x+y)=mean

oh im confused, i dont know what the variable equal (like the actual number)
0 Replies

latilatilas

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:15 pm
ill plug in numbers i guess...

(135+ 30)/ (3+2)=mean

so 165 / 5= more than 20

see, i dont get this
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
lati:

Using the defined variables,
Write an equation that says " The average age of the teachers is 35"
Write another equation that says "The average age of the students is 15"
Write a third equstion that says "The average age of teachers and students combined is 20".

After writing the three equations, use substitution to solve for the desired ratio.
0 Replies

DougBMK

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:52 pm
Yes, there are such things as American Christian Democrats. Though, I believe the context you are looking for needs to be examined using established definitions of 'democrats in America.' Democrats vary in degree of liberalism, just as Republicans vary in degrees of conservativism. As such, both political parties contain people with oppositional viewpoints. Since most would agree that Christians tend to take conservative viewpoints, then would the question be better phrased as: "Are there such things as conservative Democrats?" to which the answer would be yes.

Party affiliation does not dictate personal choices, nor preferences to legislature. It is merely party affiliation.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:00 pm
Re: Christian Democrat???
DougBMK wrote:
Yes, there are such things as American Christian Democrats. Though, I believe the context you are looking for needs to be examined using established definitions of 'democrats in America.' Democrats vary in degree of liberalism, just as Republicans vary in degrees of conservativism. As such, both political parties contain people with oppositional viewpoints. Since most would agree that Christians tend to take conservative viewpoints, then would the question be better phrased as: "Are there such things as conservative Democrats?" to which the answer would be yes.

Party affiliation does not dictate personal choices, nor preferences to legislature. It is merely party affiliation.

Thank you!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:16 pm
Wouldn't party affiliation indicate something about a person's ideology?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:21 pm
Ask Zell Miller.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:25 pm
My guess is that there is a rather large christian democrat population in massachusetts.
0 Replies

DougBMK

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:27 pm
Not necessarily. Party affiliation may be just a means to vote in the party's primary. You can't say that a person's party affiliation indicates their ideology because different pillars within each party hold different ideologies. Let's take the issue of abortion for example. It is pretty safe to say that allowing abortion is considered much more liberal than conservative. Based on this, one would assume that Democrats are for it and Republicans are against it, but we see that it isn't so. The legislature allowing abortion was passed during Republican control of Congress and we can clearly see examples of Democrats who are against it and Republicans who are for it.

To conceed a little, one could say that affiliation slightly indicates ideology. HOWEVER, to go beyond this without personal specificity would be illegitimate.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:41 pm
I agree some issues are neither Democrat nor Republican. And I'm pretty sure there are some people who affiliate with a party just because they always have or somebody talked them into it when they don't have a clue what the majority of that party thinks about various political, social, and economic issues. I think most do ally with the party that is closet to their personal ideology and value system, however. Probably very few are 100% anything.
0 Replies

mark2112

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:03 pm
Christian Democrats
After the election turned out the way it did, I went searching on the internet for "Christian Democrats". I am very much a Christian, and based on the Bush Administations actions over the last four years, I have declared myself a democrat. But after seeing the results of the election, I realize now that the republicans have done a masterful job of reeling in the "Christian" vote.

I guess the thing I don't fully understand is the 58 million people who voted for George Bush. Is it a fear based vote or is it based solely on the idea that Christians can only vote Republican, even if it is not in the best interest of the general population of the United States?

If one was to put religion aside as a personal choice and not incorporate it into politics, isn't it obvious that this president has a bad record on numerous fronts, e.g. jobs (down 900,000), deficit ($500 trillion), Iraq (a mistake at best), the economy (sluggish at best), Healthcare (rising costs), education (underfunded), tax policy (favors only the ultra-rich) and the list goes on.

In conclusion, is there only 58 million Christians int the united states? I would be willing to bet that a large percentage of the 55 million votes Kerry received were cast by "Christians". At least this vote was...
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
Mark,
I think that many of the Christians that voted for Bush are of the fundamental variety that lean heavily to the old testament and pay little heed to the teachings of Jesus. They find comfort in their self rightousness, and safety in the ease of salvation through belief rather than deeds. This fits nicely with the I want all I can get, different is bad, and me first mindset.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:21 pm
Ithink the confusion lies in what you believe. Are you a Christian that happens to be a democrat, or a Democrat that happens to be christian.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Ithink the confusion lies in what you believe.

As we Europeans already pointed out earlier:

the confusion seems to be, what you understand that
a) Christians are (= outsite the USA one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ )
b) Democrats are (= outsite the USA an adherent of democracy).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:39 pm
A radio commentator here said that American Christians tend to be Old Testament, pre-Christ, blood and guts, Christians, while globally, Christians tend to be more based in the New Testament of Christ.

An interesting divide, which seems to coincide what I read of Christians here.
0 Replies