Christian Democrats?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
It's good that people lack your archaic, stupid moral restraints.

Jesus lacked the moral restraints of the society he was fighting to change.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:06 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
This whole question is asinine.

Cycloptichorn

It served it's purpose and has raised a lot of good questions as well as giving me some good answers, so asinine to you helpful to me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:07 pm
cannistershot wrote:
squinney wrote:
From Merriam:

Liberal

3 obsolete : lacking moral restraint : LICENTIOUS

This is the one that I think fits the bill the most.

Try understanding what the word "obsolete" is in there for, Cannister.

That definition is "obsolete."

Comprende'?
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:08 pm
Define it for me. I'm sure that it's not the same defintion that I know and love.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:12 pm
Since many of the founders of the United States were political liberals, that's a really interesting perspective to have, canshot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:13 pm
Quote:
"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
-- George Washington
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:15 pm
It's asinine to even assume that one could not be christian and either liberal or conservative.

Religion in many cases transcends politics. It's possible to take many different views and still have the beliefs in God.

The whole question is an invitation for flame war. Not that I am specifically blaming you; just sayin'.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:18 pm
Quotes from the United States of America's Founding Fathers:

there's some fascinating stuff in here on this subject

Quote:
"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole carloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." --John Adams
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's asinine to even assume that one could not be christian and either liberal or conservative.

Religion in many cases transcends politics. It's possible to take many different views and still have the beliefs in God.

The whole question is an invitation for flame war. Not that I am specifically blaming you; just sayin'.

Cycloptichorn

Well since I never implied that in either case and certianly not in the question where does this come from? You need to back up and read some of the posts from the past. I asked this question (not very well) to answer questions in my mind and it has so far served it purpose.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:27 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Since many of the founders of the United States were political liberals, that's a really interesting perspective to have, canshot.

It was a joke, and anyway whats wrong with taking something out of context and making it serve your own purpose? The media and Michael Moore make a living at it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Quotes from the United States of America's Founding Fathers:

there's some fascinating stuff in here on this subject

Quote:
"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole carloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." --John Adams

From a historical perspective, what was a "carload" at the time of John Adams? Off topic, but that just jumped out at me in the quote. Anyone know?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:38 pm
Quote:
"As priestcraft was always the enemy of knowledge, because priestcraft supports itself by keeping people in delusion and ignorance, it was consistent with its policy to make the acquisition of knowledge a real sin."--Thomas Paine, _Of_The_Religion_of_Deism_Compared_With_the_Christian_Religion_
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:40 pm
You'd probably need one of the language folks, like Merry Andrew, to figure that one out, squinney.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
ahhhhhhhh - Merriam-Webster

looks like an old term - railway car ... etc

Quote:
Main Entry: car
Pronunciation: 'kär, dial also 'kor, 'kyär
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English carre, from Anglo-French, from Latin carra, plural of carrum, alteration of carrus, of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish & Middle Welsh carr vehicle; akin to Latin currere to run
1 : a vehicle moving on wheels: as a archaic : CARRIAGE, CHARIOT b : a vehicle designed to move on rails (as of a railroad) c : AUTOMOBILE
2 : the passenger compartment of an elevator
3 : the part of an airship or balloon that carries the passengers and cargo
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I didn't say abortion didn't exist Frank. I said I am fairly secure that the Jews didn't know about it or practice it. Based on the manuscripts we have, there is no indication it ever came up.

Yes...I know you did.

BUT THE EVIDENCE SUGGESTS THAT THE JEWS...LIKE EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS PLANET, KNEW ABOUT ABORTION AND HAD ABORTIONS PERFORMED THERE JUST LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN PERFORMED EVERYWHERE...EVER SINCE WOMEN FIRST STARTED GETTING PREGNANT.

WAKE UP!

Are you *gasp* speculating here Frank?

McG
What do you think is the purpose of the bitter waters in Numbers 5 :11-29

Numbers 5:11-29
Quote:
.27 And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.
28And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
What do you think it is?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:45 pm
THIS PASSAGE DEALS WITH AN UNFAITHFUL WIFE AND A JEALOUS HUSBAND. YOU WILL NOTICE THAT BOTH UNFAITHFULNESS AND JEALOUSY ARE CONSIDERED SIN HERE.

§ THE TRIAL PERMITS GOD TO DECIDE THE WIFE'S INNOCENCE OR GUILT.

· THE OFFERING:

¨ NOTICE THAT THE PURPOSE OF THE OFFERING IS "TO BRING INIQUITY TO REMEMBRANCE"(15)

Ø IN OTHER WORDS, AS A MARRIED COUPLE THEY WERE NOT TO KEEP ON FIGHTING ABOUT GUILT OR INNOCENCE AND NEVER ARRIVING AT THE TRUTH. THIS COUPLE WAS ALWAYS LIVING WITH SUSPICIONS AND ACCUSATIONS. GOD PROVIDED A WAY TO RESOLVE THE SITUATION.

§ 1/10 MEASURE OF BARLEY (AN OFFERING OF SACRIFICE)

§ NO OIL (A SYMBOL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT)

§ NO FRANKINCENSE (A SYMBOL OF A SWEET SMELL TO GOD TO COVER THE BAD SMELL OF DEATH)

¨ THE BITTER WATER:

Ø THE WOMAN, WHETHER INNOCENT OR GUILTY WAS TO DRINK THE BITTER WATER. IF SHE WAS GUILTY, SHE WOULD BECOME SICK AND DIE. IF SHE WAS INNOCENT, NO HARM WOULD COME TO HER.

· THE MEANING:

¨ THIS PASSAGE SHOWS THE IMPORTANCE TO GOD OF FAITHFULNESS AND TRUST BETWEEN HUSBANDS AND WIVES.

¨ THIS PASSAGE SHOWS US GOD'S MERCY TOWARD WOMEN WHO WERE CONSIDERED SECOND CLASS CITIZENS AT THAT TIME. THIS WAS GOD'S WAY OF PROTECTING AN INNOCENT WOMAN FROM A MAN'S UNJUSTIFIED WRATHFUL ANGER.

Ø REMEMBER THAT THE PUNISHMENT FOR A PERSON CAUGHT IN ADULTERY WAS STONING THROUGH THE OLD TESTAMENT AND UP INTO THE NEW TESTAMENT.

¨ THIS PASSAGE ALSO SHOWS GOD'S RELATIONSHIP TO ISRAEL. ISRAEL IS CONSIDERED BY GOD, FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING, TO BE GOD'S WIFE (ISA 54:4-6).

Ø HOWEVER, ISRAEL WAS NOT FAITHFUL TO GOD BUT ALWAYS FOLLOWED OTHER GODS AND IDOLS. THEREFORE, ISRAEL DEPICTS THE UNFAITHFUL WIFE, AND GOD DEPICTS THE JEALOUS HUSBAND.

§ WE SEE THIS DEMONSTRATED IN THE LIFE OF HOSEA, THE PROPHET, WHO WAS MARRIED TO A PROSTITUTE. GOD TOLD HOSEA THAT HIS LIFE WAS JUST LIKE ISRAEL'S RELATIONSHIP TO GOD. (HOS 4)

§ GOD TOLD ISRAEL IF SHE WAS NOT FAITHFUL TO GOD, THE NATION WOULD DRINK OF THE BITTERNESS OF GOD'S WRATH. (JER 2:19) ISRAEL HAS CONTINUED TO REAP BITTERNESS AND PERSECUTION DOWN THROUGH HISTORY BECAUSE SHE HAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED GOD AND HIS SON, JESUS CHRIST.

Source - Bible Study
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:
What do you think it is?

I think it is an herbal abortion, for if she is not guilty she will conceive seed.
0 Replies

latilatilas

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:59 pm
ok, sry guyz, i konw this is the wrong place, but i need to know this answer and people are here, so can you help me plz??

I think i know the answer, but i dont get it.... show your work plz

The average age of a group of teachers and students is 20. The average age of the teachers is 35, and the average age of students is 15. What is the ratio of teachers to students? Express your answer as a common fraction.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:05 pm
Here's an interesting verse:

Proverbs 6:16-19 - These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren.

I'm not judging, but...
0 Replies