Is there such an animal as a Christian Democrat? Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,361 • Replies: 230
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:46 pm
Of course. Why would you think otherwise?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:48 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:50 pm
It's not a statement it's a question princess. I want christian democrats to sound off.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:54 pm
Sound off? But I thought we were... All over these forums... And not just about politics. Confused What exactly is it you want us to sound off about that we aren't already? Confused
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:58 pm
I have read a lot, but not all of the posts, but I have not noticed any post that seems to fit a christian from the liberal side. Now like I said I haven't read all of the posts so sorry if my post hit you wrong.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
What exactly do you expect us to sound like? Confused
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
dedicated to your religion?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:07 pm
Christian Democracy is an ideology shared by several political groups scattered in most democratic countries, in different continents. If I'm not wrong, the Christian Democrats hold the plurality in the European parliament.

But I suppose you're asking if a person can be a Christian and a Democrat in the US.
I guess it depends on your definition of a Christian, or a "true Christian".
I also guess Torquemada started that way.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
Yes fbaezer that is my question American Christian Democrats. Why the hostility Princess? Hey McGentrix I have read a lot of your posts, you are my hero! I didn't ask this to start a war I asked it to see how many yes replies that I would get, well so far about 40 views and 2 yes replies.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:13 pm
I don't think there should be anything wrong with asking the question.

Now that he mentions it, I don't think I've run up against a Christian Democrat in the US.

(Did know about the political party CDs in Europe.) (I thought the Social Democrats were in larger Europe and the Christrian Dems were a British party...?)

Aren't all of our resident Dems agnostic or atheist? Seems to me Eva may fit the criteria...
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:15 pm
Thank you Lash! All I want is yes or no but I don't think that a liberal can stop at that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:16 pm
Squinney. How did I forget Squinney. That's two. (Not counting for any nefarious reason.) I'm thinking there are possibly a few more. Not sure of onyx's political persuasion.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:

You realize that Jesus and the Holy Spirit will meet you right where you are, right? And that one is a christian if they believe Jesus Christ died on the cross and shed his blood to cover their sins, right? And that once you believe that, you are a saint of God, right? Which means that John Kerry, George Bush, BiPolar Bear, Squinney, and I are all equally saints, flawed, but saved. What about you? Got salvation? Need it? I'll be glad to help you say the sinners prayer, if you haven't admitted your frailty as a human and your need for Jesus Christ in your life as your personal savior...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:19 pm
I know many Democrats. Of them, I am the only atheist.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:20 pm
I think princesspupule is saying here that she is. And "I don't think a liberal can stop at that" kind of indicates that their reading of cannistershot's intentions were on target.

I come from Minneapolis, land of the Christian Democrat. Lots and lots of ultra-liberal Christian (Lutheran, Methodist) Democrats. Think Garrison Keillor, Walter Mondale.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:23 pm
(Good point about Christians who are also Democrats vs. Christian Democrat, fbaezer.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:27 pm
Great article if you're curious:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/16/politics/campaign/16christian.html

Quote:
Liberal Christians Mobilize to React to Religious Right
By NEELA BANERJEE

Published: October 16, 2004

MADISON, Wis., Oct. 9 - The efforts of conservative Christians to mobilize voters against same-sex marriage and abortion and in support of President Bush have stirred a growing backlash among more liberal believers. And they are taking their cues from the religious right.

Members of the First Unitarian Society here, Claire Box and Linda Knox are part of a broad effort by moderate and liberal religious people to register voters, especially in swing states like Wisconsin and in poor areas with low voter participation.

One autumn morning, the women went to neighboring Madison Town and stepped out into the parking lot of the Maple Glen apartments, home to working-class and poor families, hoping to find new voters. In minutes, those people found them.

"Can I vote?" Tracy Briggs, 26, asked Ms. Box, balancing her baby nephew on her hip.

Soon, Ms. Briggs's younger sister, Tyree, 24, told Ms. Knox that she, too, needed to register. Then came Clarence Martin, 48, a meat plant worker.

None voted in 2000. All were determined to vote on Nov. 2.

Ms. Knox has not been so politically active in 30 years. But as is the case with so many fellow volunteers, the politics of conservative Christians and President Bush have taken her to places like Maple Glen, she said.

"The religious right is defining what it means to be a patriotic American, and they're patriotic because they believe in their God, they have Bush, and they are convinced they have the answer," Ms. Knox said later. "But as Unitarians, we don't believe there is a single right answer."

Long scattered and out of the limelight, some liberal believers, led by Christian groups, said they saw this election as the first step to regroup and take back an agenda and a faith that they believe the religious right has hijacked.

(continues, that's just the beginning.)
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:29 pm
Ok 60 views and 2 yes replies.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:42 pm
princesspupule wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

You realize that Jesus and the Holy Spirit will meet you right where you are, right? And that one is a christian if they believe Jesus Christ died on the cross and shed his blood to cover their sins, right? And that once you believe that, you are a saint of God, right? Which means that John Kerry, George Bush, BiPolar Bear, Squinney, and I are all equally saints, flawed, but saved. What about you? Got salvation? Need it? I'll be glad to help you say the sinners prayer, if you haven't admitted your frailty as a human and your need for Jesus Christ in your life as your personal savior...

Very Happy That was actually funny. I am glad you have kept your sense of humor.
0 Replies