The "When will Donald Trump leave office in disgrace?" Pool

hightor

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 10:21 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, my mistake then. I don't know, it's difficult to catch the nuance sometimes. I'm as guilty as anyone for posting in a "tone of voice" which people misinterpret. I may need to take sabbatical — I hate to be seen as someone who can't take a joke.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 10:22 am
@InfraBlue,
The exchange speaks for itself. You're just being obstinate now. If you want the last word go ahead and respond, but I'm done.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 11:43 am
@hightor,
No problemo. It happens all the time. I've said over and over that we need a sarcasm font.
InfraBlue

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 12:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The exchange speaks for itself. You're just being obstinate now. If you want the last word go ahead and respond, but I'm done.

Thank you.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 12:48 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Oh, my mistake then. I don't know, it's difficult to catch the nuance sometimes. I'm as guilty as anyone for posting in a "tone of voice" which people misinterpret. I may need to take sabbatical — I hate to be seen as someone who can't take a joke.

Relax. Nobody's perfect in this or other areas, and you are very far from the worst here,
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 12:54 pm
3.15.18 has been my date since the first of Feb, but these clowns need to get on it, if they have not decided on a course by Labor Day my date is going to get iffy, and I do so hate to be wrong.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 05:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

No problemo. It happens all the time. I've said over and over that we need a sarcasm font.

If there was a sarcasm font I would never use it, no matter how sarcastic I was being. If people can't figure that out on their own, then you learn something about them, eh?
layman

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 06:07 pm
@layman,
Actually, I prefer the word "sardonic" to "sarcastic." According to the dictionary, the root of this word was "used by Homer to describe bitter or scornful laughter."

Some dictionary definitions of "sardonic:"

Quote:
disdainfully or skeptically humorous : derisively mocking (M-W)

======

Grimly mocking or cynical. (Oxford)

While looking, I came across this page on the web:

Quote:
Difference Between Sarcastic and Sardonic

“Sardonic” and “sarcastic” are two words which are very similar in meaning and used almost in the same manner, but their origin, their actual meaning, and their usages are different from each other. They are so close that they are often confused as being interchangeable.

Sarcastic
“Sarcastic” refers to a remark which is bitter, derisive, contemptuous, sharp, and a taunt meant to hurt someone. It is a remark which is heavily laced with irony. Though irony and sarcasm are not the same thing, yet the sarcastic remarks have irony involved. That is, the meaning of what is being said is opposite of what it is intended to mean. It refers to the intention of someone bullying or ridiculing someone by saying something hurtful, and its main feature is inversion. For example, The joke was so funny that people decided to keep a straight face.

Usage
Sarcastic remarks or sarcasm can be used directly or indirectly to show contempt for someone. For example, “You couldn’t add two plus two if you had the whole class helping you.” It can be used indirectly too, for example, “What a mathematician you have become!” It is mainly expressed by vocal modulations.

Sardonic
Sardonic remarks refer to mockery, cynicism, derision, and scorn. One of the main features of this word is it is sometimes considered humor in the times of adversity. For example, The food prisoners get is so good that they hardly chew it. It involves very bitter feelings said with disdain.

Usage
It is used to express cynicism, derision, and skeptical humor by writing, commenting, or a particular gesture. It is used to hurt someone’s feelings.

Summary:
1.Sarcastic remarks and sardonic remarks have similar but different meanings.
2.The main feature of sarcasm is that it is laced with irony. Sardonic remarks are humor in the face of adversity.
3.One can apologize for a sarcastic remark to pacify someone, but sardonic remarks are often to oneself and, thus, cannot be apologized for.

http://www.differencebetween.net/language/words-language/difference-between-sarcastic-and-sardonic/

But, for me, the same word can be used either sardonically or sarcastically. "Cheese-eater," for example.

camlok

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:42 pm
@layman,
Quote:
But, for me, the same word can be used either sardonically or sarcastically. "Cheese-eater," for example.

Neither of those fit, layman. What you want to describe your use is 'stupid', or to give it more pizzazz, 'layman stupid'.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:43 pm
@layman,
So do I, especially when you posture with that invented patois....like sho nuff, honey chile, I don't rightly recall, ain't no thing, and the ever present 'eh'. It's like listening to a third rate comic trying to speak with an English accent or the early 'talkies' with an actress torturing a generic but stupid unauthentic Southern accent of uncertain origin. If you don't recognize your bullshit tactics, everybody else does but I'm so glad you post, I can practice all my sardonic or sarcastic or amused exclamations right here at home. I'd post them, but you are so much of an attention junkie you would be too pleased that ANYBODY knew you existed.
camlok

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:45 pm
@hightor,
You do realize, of course, that you all's favorite go to meme when you all want to avoid a difficult subject is "you're off thread" and that's what all of you stunning hypocrites in so many ways are, off thread.
glitterbag

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:53 pm
@camlok,
Can you structure that comment into English? It doesn't actually make any sense...and if it can't be diagramed it's unintelligible. I realize you are attempting to diss somebody (but that's the only thing you ever do) so could you unscramble it so we all understand what kind of inane insult you were attempting to hurl. I normally dump you in the 'crazed nutbag' can, but...who knows, this time you might actually have a useful point to make. Hey, even a broken clock etc.
camlok

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
and if it can't be diagramed it's unintelligible.

Go ahead, glitterbag, diagram the sentence. This should will be hilarious.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 10:52 am
@layman,
True - but I do, on occasion, try to get along.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 11:39 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

So do I, especially when you posture with that invented patois....like sho nuff, honey chile, I don't rightly recall, ain't no thing, and the ever present 'eh'. It's like listening to a third rate comic trying to speak with an English accent or the early 'talkies' with an actress torturing a generic but stupid unauthentic Southern accent of uncertain origin. If you don't recognize your bullshit tactics, everybody else does but I'm so glad you post, I can practice all my sardonic or sarcastic or amused exclamations right here at home. I'd post them, but you are so much of an attention junkie you would be too pleased that ANYBODY knew you existed.

I think you are overdoing your assumed position as a critic here every bit as much as you accuse Layman of overdoing his chosen patois. The difference here is that Layman makes no real pretense of authenticity while you do.

Layman is quite obviously well aware of "his bullshit tactics". I wonder if you are half as aware of your own.

I find Layman's style amusing and often a welcome relief from all the conspiracy theories and pedantry that infests the site
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 12:16 pm
@georgeob1,
Now you're in trouble! Shocked
georgeob1

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 01:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nothing new.
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 01:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
all the conspiracy theories

You support a conspiracy theory, georgeob1, the wackiest, craziest, one ever, the US Government Official 911 Conspiracy Theory.

Not a lick of evidence to support it but you gullibles of all time bought it, hook, line and sinker.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 01:31 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I find Layman's style amusing and often a welcome relief from all the conspiracy theories and pedantry that infests the site

Nice to hear that someone does, eh, George? These no-laffin cheese-eaters are always so DEAD SERIOUS, ya know?

To kinda paraphase Cindy Lauper: Laymen just wanna have fuuuu-uuuun.
camlok

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 01:35 pm
@layman,
Quote:
These no-laffin cheese-eaters are always so DEAD SERIOUS, ya know?

georgeob1 likes to make out that he has a rod shoved up his butt, holding up his nose, he being an intellectua, when he is really one dumb bunny.
0 Replies