28

The "When will Donald Trump leave office in disgrace?" Pool

Builder

1  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 06:54 am
@Lash,
I wish everyone was judged on the same scale.

In this place? Hahahaha...

-1  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 12:17 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Impeachment will happen when

1) Donald Trump is hated enough by Republican Congress members. And he is pissing off a number of Republicans.

2) The Republican party decides that getting rid of Trump is worth the political cost.

Republicans control Congress. But if Trump keeps screwing over his own party, that won't protect him. If you read the Republican blogs, there are already Republicans talking about it.

They are saying that President Pence wouldn't be so bad for them.

You are acting out of a presumption that the Republicans are just as devoid of ethics as the Democrats are.

Not so. The Republicans are not going to support impeaching a president who has not done anything wrong and is the victim of a witch hunt.

And Trump is hardly screwing over his own party.

2  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 12:57 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

glitterbag wrote:
You don't remember Gerald Ford?

In fact I do. I was rather young, but I recall how unfairly he was savaged by the media. He seemed to take it in stride though. Good for him.

Wizard comment. You seem not to remember he was Speaker of the House at that time prior to entering the White House. (Hint: Paul Ryan is the current Speaker of the House)

1  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 01:02 pm
Depends how quickly Pence got kicked out if he appointed a VP or not. I would hope for sooner than later.

0  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 02:07 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I was pretty young. I didn't know there was such thing as a Speaker, or even a House.

However, my understanding of history is that Ford was no longer Speaker at that time, but was instead the Vice President.

I recall reading somewhere that Nixon appointed Ford as VP because he thought his enemies couldn't bear to see Ford become President, and there was an expression of malice during his resignation speech when he talked of Ford taking office, which was because Nixon felt that "Ford taking office" was suitable revenge upon the people who were forcing him out.

0  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 02:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It would only take a few minutes to appoint someone. He would have to be removed at the same time as Trump for it to go to the Speaker.

It's kind of academic anyway. Trump is going to stay in office until 2025.

RABEL222

1  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 02:27 pm
Speaking from a selfish outsider's point of view I feel happier about a Pence administration, he's less likely to start a war.

Dont bet the house on it Izzy. What better way to a second term in office than to start a war and demand that the populace show patriotism to their country? Its worked before.

3  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 02:34 pm
@RABEL222,
But if he does start a war at least he's doing on purpose. Trump could start an accidental war, not just one either.

ossobucotemp

2  
Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 03:26 pm
@RABEL222,
I don't know enough about Pence's proclivities re starting wars. You may have something there, Rabel, but to me he is, re war, a blank slate since I haven't read up on his war views. I am not for what I know of his domestic agendas, but I take him as possessing sanity. Even re his domestic agendas, I wouldn't call him nutso; very scarily wrongheaded, but not from the brain of an imbecile.

Trump, bets are off, but so far he seems to be immolating US democracy instead of other countries.