The "When will Donald Trump leave office in disgrace?" Pool

Builder

Thu 18 May, 2017 06:54 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I wish everyone was judged on the same scale.

In this place? Hahahaha...

0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 18 May, 2017 12:17 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Impeachment will happen when

1) Donald Trump is hated enough by Republican Congress members. And he is pissing off a number of Republicans.

2) The Republican party decides that getting rid of Trump is worth the political cost.

Republicans control Congress. But if Trump keeps screwing over his own party, that won't protect him. If you read the Republican blogs, there are already Republicans talking about it.

They are saying that President Pence wouldn't be so bad for them.

You are acting out of a presumption that the Republicans are just as devoid of ethics as the Democrats are.

Not so. The Republicans are not going to support impeaching a president who has not done anything wrong and is the victim of a witch hunt.

And Trump is hardly screwing over his own party.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 18 May, 2017 12:57 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

glitterbag wrote:
You don't remember Gerald Ford?

In fact I do. I was rather young, but I recall how unfairly he was savaged by the media. He seemed to take it in stride though. Good for him.

Wizard comment. You seem not to remember he was Speaker of the House at that time prior to entering the White House. (Hint: Paul Ryan is the current Speaker of the House)
edgarblythe

Thu 18 May, 2017 01:02 pm
Depends how quickly Pence got kicked out if he appointed a VP or not. I would hope for sooner than later.
oralloy

Thu 18 May, 2017 02:07 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Wizard comment. You seem not to remember he was Speaker of the House at that time prior to entering the White House. (Hint: Paul Ryan is the current Speaker of the House)

I was pretty young. I didn't know there was such thing as a Speaker, or even a House.

However, my understanding of history is that Ford was no longer Speaker at that time, but was instead the Vice President.

I recall reading somewhere that Nixon appointed Ford as VP because he thought his enemies couldn't bear to see Ford become President, and there was an expression of malice during his resignation speech when he talked of Ford taking office, which was because Nixon felt that "Ford taking office" was suitable revenge upon the people who were forcing him out.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 18 May, 2017 02:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Depends how quickly Pence got kicked out if he appointed a VP or not. I would hope for sooner than later.

It would only take a few minutes to appoint someone. He would have to be removed at the same time as Trump for it to go to the Speaker.

It's kind of academic anyway. Trump is going to stay in office until 2025.
RABEL222

Thu 18 May, 2017 02:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Speaking from a selfish outsider's point of view I feel happier about a Pence administration, he's less likely to start a war.

Dont bet the house on it Izzy. What better way to a second term in office than to start a war and demand that the populace show patriotism to their country? Its worked before.
izzythepush

Thu 18 May, 2017 02:34 pm
@RABEL222,
But if he does start a war at least he's doing on purpose. Trump could start an accidental war, not just one either.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 18 May, 2017 03:26 pm
@RABEL222,
I don't know enough about Pence's proclivities re starting wars. You may have something there, Rabel, but to me he is, re war, a blank slate since I haven't read up on his war views. I am not for what I know of his domestic agendas, but I take him as possessing sanity. Even re his domestic agendas, I wouldn't call him nutso; very scarily wrongheaded, but not from the brain of an imbecile.

Trump, bets are off, but so far he seems to be immolating US democracy instead of other countries.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 31 May, 2017 11:18 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
It's kind of academic anyway. Trump is going to stay in office until 2025.

Trump won't even be in office on July 25. Of this year.
revelette1

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 07:16 am
@Blickers,
What gives you such hope? Certainly not this congress, is it?

The latest is subpoenas focused on "unmasking" of Trump campaign officials. Rolling Eyes

Trump: 'Big story' is unmasking, surveillance during Obama administration (The Hill)

oralloy

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 07:38 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
The latest is subpoenas focused on "unmasking" of Trump campaign officials.

About time.

revelette1 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

What's wrong with Trump getting justice for the dirty tricks campaign that is being waged against him?
revelette1

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 09:15 am
@oralloy,
If there was anything nefarious in this unmasking angle republicans are pushing, the intelligence who have already testified would have said so. They have not, nor I suspect will they.

Can you say "smokescreen"? It is so obvious and luckily has not worked.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:41 am
@revelette1,
Not that it's at all a unique behavior of the Left, but it's always amusing how you can bet the ranch that any alleged "scandal" of Democrats is a "smokescreen" while even the most ridiculous of Republicans requires a Special Prosecutor.
InfraBlue

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 03:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Not that it's at all a unique behavior of the Left, but it's always amusing how you can bet the ranch that any alleged "scandal" of Democrats is a "smokescreen" while even the most ridiculous of Republicans requires a Special Prosecutor.

So then, given that it's not at all a unique behavior of the Left, when it's reversed it isn't always amusing?
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 04:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yes
edgarblythe

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 04:13 pm
I figure we will be bombing Iran within a year. His talk is too much a repeat of what GW Bush used to say.
InfraBlue

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 04:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your amusement is partisan.
camlok

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 09:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Your amusement is partisan.

You aren't helping, InfraBlue.

Finn is trying to portray a new image.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I figure we will be bombing Iran within a year. His talk is too much a repeat of what GW Bush used to say.

I think Iran was "scared straight" by the worldwide sanctions that forced them to the negotiating table. Iran can see the much more severe sanctions that were placed on North Korea when they built nuclear weapons, and I think Iran wishes to choose a different path.

We're headed towards war with North Korea though.