The continued reference to Mary Cheney by the Dems

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:01 pm
PP, love the avatar. That was a gracious move on your part.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:15 pm
Excellent points nimh. I'm certain that the Bush people will make the most of Kerry's mistake... but a mistake it was and he owes Mary an apology. Mary's parents have every right to be offended when their child's personal business is used as a dig. There's 8 million ways to make Bush look like a fool without bringing someone's daughter into it. However much mileage Bush gets out of it, it remains Kerry's fault because he did it. I'm not freaking out appalled or anything... I'm just surprised that the people who would normally, immediately acknowledge the stupidity in Kerry's behavior... are letting their political wishes blind them to what appear pretty clear to me. George Bush deserves what he gets... so does Dick Cheney... Mary Cheney didn't.

sozobe wrote:
This is just amazing, really.

It was a dig, yeah -- at the fact that the President's own Vice President doesn't agree with the DOMA. Why? Because he has seen firsthand what life is like for gays and lesbians in America, and he -- the VP -- the guy who has a lesbian daughter -- thinks the President is wrong. He'll support him anyway, but he thinks DOMA is wrong.

That's the dig, it's a legitimate dig at how dumb and unnecessary DOMA is -- the VP is even against it!! -- and Mary is secondary to it.
All of that could have been accomplished without bringing up Mary, no? Why not just use Ellen? A line was crossed here Soz. Sorry it was your guy who crossed.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
I don't think it is either fair or accurate to suggest that Edwards' initial reference to this matter during the VP debate was accepted willingly by the Vice President. Edwards spit out the observation about Cheny's daughter without warning, Cheny declined to take the bait and dealt with the offensive gaffe in with curt dignity and let it go without adding to the offense by objecting. His reaction was analogous to someone ignoring another's loud fart at a formal party. No one would construe that one such action like that constitutes acceptance, approval, or license to do it again.

What I find odd is that, given the repetitions of this strange emphasis on the daughter of the VP, first by Edwards, then by Kerry and today by Edward's wife, all at very public events, one is left with the inescapable conclusion that all this is both deliberate, and likely the result of some planning and discussion. On what basis could the Democrats or Kerry conclude that this was a worthy or effective campaign tactic? Who benefits from this? How can they be that self righteous and inconsiderate of one who is merely a bystander in all this? Hard to figure.

This sad scene reveals callous disregard for the person and the privacy of members of the family of their opponents on the part of the Kerry tribe. It suggests a John Kerry who is so consumed with his own ambitions and advancement that he can thoughtlessly exhibit such complete disregard for what was once consitered the manly virtues required of the participants in such contests.

It is a new low in the annals of Presidential politics. However, it is quite consistent with the character traits Kerry exhibited during his very brief operational tour in swift boats in Vietnam. He is truly unfit for command.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:26 pm
a non issue......sorry folks....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:31 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
This sad scene reveals callous disregard for the person and the privacy of members of the family of their opponents on the part of the Kerry tribe. It suggests a John Kerry who is so consumed with his own ambitions and advancement that he can thoughtlessly exhibit such complete disregard for what was once consitered the manly virtues required of the participants in such contests.

Would that the Republicans showed the same amount of outrage regarding the callous disregard of the rights of all homosexuals as they do about the rights of one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:37 pm
Good point, Joe.

georgeob1 wrote:
I don't think it is either fair or accurate to suggest that Edwards' initial reference to this matter during the VP debate was accepted willingly by the Vice President.

Who IS saying that? The question is whether it was warranted, and seeing as how IT WAS THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION POSED BY THE MODERATOR (sorry for the caps, but I am truly astonished at how this is being repeatedly glossed over), it seems perfectly warranted and legitimate to me.

georgeob1 wrote:
Edwards spit out the observation about Cheny's daughter without warning,

"Spit out"? The response to THE MODERATOR'S QUESTION, you mean?

georgeob1 wrote:
What I find odd is that, given the repetitions of this strange emphasis on the daughter of the VP, first by Edwards

The "strange emphasis" given that THE MODERATOR ASKED ABOUT IT, you mean?

georgeob1 wrote:
then by Kerry and today by Edward's wife, all at very public events, one is left with the inescapable conclusion that all this is both deliberate, and likely the result of some planning and discussion.

Yes, and probably they roped in the moderator so that she would ASK THE QUESTION that Edwards responded to.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to be stuck in the Chelsea/ Bush twins idea of a political daughter. I pointed out that Mary Cheney is a lesbian activist. She's an adult, has been for quite a while. HOW on earth can this be such an issue? It's the post-debate spin, and it's being spun mightily.

What does Mary Cheney herself think about this, I wonder? Wouldn't that be the deciding factor? If she doesn't care, why should anyone else?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Ya'll need to stop hitting that partisan poison pipe, and think about this one. Of course it's wrong to bring the off spring into it. Would you want your child to have to suffer this type of public attack...

If my adult daughter becomes a gay rights activist, I expect her to be prepared to deal with the jerks that think its an attack for someone to say what Kerry said. I certainly wouldn't become the mother lioness, given her age and decision to be a public activist. That makes it hers to defend if she chooses.

The fact that this is seen as her "suffer(ing) this type of public attack" says more about YOUR view of homosexuality than it does that of the candidates.

Why on earth are we in the year 2004 with people considering homosexuality a closet issue? A shameful thing? An attack?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:17 pm
Soz - You exaggerate - No one asked Edwards if Cheny's daughter is homosexual. Your assertions in this regard are nonsense.

The reference was gratuitous and not at all called for in the question. The first one by Edwards just seemed - to me - to be odd and a bit slimy, but otherwise forgettable. The second one by Kerry suggests deliberation on their part about it all. I find it difficult to see just what was their point in all this. No one cornered either of these ambitious hucksters to make the observations. I don' t ascribe any shame to the label, but do seriously fault the unnecessary intrusion into the life of an innocent bystander in this sad affair.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:44 pm
squinney wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Ya'll need to stop hitting that partisan poison pipe, and think about this one. Of course it's wrong to bring the off spring into it. Would you want your child to have to suffer this type of public attack...

If my adult daughter becomes a gay rights activist, I expect her to be prepared to deal with the jerks that think its an attack for someone to say what Kerry said. I certainly wouldn't become the mother lioness, given her age and decision to be a public activist. That makes it hers to defend if she chooses.

The fact that this is seen as her "suffer(ing) this type of public attack" says more about YOUR view of homosexuality than it does that of the candidates.

Shocked Squinney, attempting to turn my observation that the woman's privacy was violated, into a slight on me, is childish and uncalled for. Your tune is changing (for the better) now that you know she was already an activist, but you are still on the wrong side of right. Becoming an activist is still not the same thing as volunteering to be the poster child. For instance, if we were neighbors and you asked me to accompany you to the Gay Rights March I'd be happy to. That doesn't mean I'd want to be the poster child or that I'd want my name to be synonymous with gay rights forevermore. You really can't see a difference?

squinney wrote:
Why on earth are we in the year 2004 with people considering homosexuality a closet issue? A shameful thing? An attack?
Because the world is still overflowing with ignorant intolerance, that's why. And that is why people should be allowed to make up their own minds just how far out they wish to come. From the ultimate closetier, to the limits of open gayness and everywhere in between, it should be up to the persons themselves... not you, not me and not John Kerry either. Idea
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:33 pm
My apologies, Bill. The Your was intended as a collective of those finding this to be a taboo subject given the premise of the question and topic of discussion. Certainly not a personal attack.

This was not the first I have heard of Mary being gay. I've known it for several years. Don't really find it to be any big deal.

BTW, her mother, Lynne Cheney wrote a very saucy lesbian romance novel back in the early eighties if I remember the timing correctly. Many are familiar with that as well, though it is impossible to get ahold of now. THAT speaks to the hypocrisy of her feigned indignation as much as anything, IMO.

Then there is this: (Note the date)

August 01, 2000 | DENVER -- Lynne Cheney's discomfort with the media's interest in her lesbian daughter Mary, televised nationally over the weekend, threatens to ignite the first firestorm of the so-far superbly scripted Republican convention.

On Sunday, when ABC's Cokie Roberts started to ask the GOP vice presidential nominee's wife about having a daughter who has "declared she's openly gay," an irate Lynne Cheney shot back: "Mary has never declared such a thing." Cheney then blasted the media for its interest in the story, and chided Roberts: "I'm surprised, Cokie, that even you would want to bring it up on this program."

"I have two wonderful daughters. I love them very much. They are bright; they are hard-working; they are decent. And I simply am not going to talk about their personal lives," Cheney told Roberts.

Nationally, many gay leaders were alarmed by Lynne Cheney's remarks. The distaste implied by her use of the term "such a thing" to describe her daughter Mary's sexuality didn't come across as ringing acceptance. And some see it as an attempt to force Mary Cheney -- who has in fact publicly "declared" herself a lesbian, and has worked as the gay and lesbian corporate relations manager for Coors Brewing Co. -- back into the closet, at least on the campaign trail.

The controversy could bubble over this week, since friends of Mary Cheney say she's planning to bring her life partner, the woman she shares a house with in Conifer, Colo., to the Republican convention. She has reportedly postponed plans to attend business school this fall in order to campaign with her father, former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney.

Gay leaders wasted no time blasting Lynne Cheney's remarks to Roberts. "They were horrible," said Human Rights Campaign spokesman David Smith. "She said she is proud of both her daughters, but there was definitely a sense this was one aspect of who her daughter is that she was not proud of. That came through loud and clear."

"The fact that [Mary] is lesbian is not a private matter," he continued. "It was part of her job. She reached out to the gay and lesbian community for a major U.S. corporation. She was on the cutting edge of changing how a corporation reaches out to gay and lesbian customers."

Cheney herself told a lesbian magazine that she went to work for Coors "because I knew several other lesbians who were very happy here." Friends and colleagues say she has declared her sexuality in public on many occasions.

Denver colleagues laughed at the assertion that Mary has never "declared" her sexuality. "Of course she did," said Jim McNulty, co-founder of the organization that puts on the popular Aspen Gay Ski Week, which Coors has supported throughout Mary Cheney's tenure. "Did she tell me she was a lesbian? She said, 'This is my life partner.' That's exactly how she put it. They kissed and hugged, which is wonderful."

"It's been widely known for a long time that she's gay and not shy about it," says Elizabeth Birch, HRC executive director, interviewed Monday in Philadelphia where she attended a luncheon to honor gay Republicans. "I think she's between a rock and a hard place. The issue now will be whether she's locked in the vault -- literally or figuratively," Birch offered.

Salon Source
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:12 pm
panzade wrote:
PP, love the avatar. That was a gracious move on your part.

Oh, thank you, panzade! I thought it fitting with Halloween quickly approaching. Wink

Now more about Aunt Fancy/Miss Nancy and his relationship to President Buchanan. There was a queer VP under Pierce, a known queen by the name of William Rufus King. King County in Washington was named for him, as a matter of fact. Whether they were truly lovers or not remains one of those mysteries we will never solve since Buchanan had his letters burned upon his demise. There are other letters in existance from their contemporaries referring to them being a couple, inviting them as a couple to functions, etc. And I if I recall my trivial historical details, King was quite the clothes horse (hence the nickname "Aunt Fancy.") http://www.stanford.edu/~lindholm/chinf_buc.html

I was thinking about the way I described him today as I went about my afternoon duties, and felt bad, as though I had somehow perpetuated something unseemely by #1) referring to a dead vice president as "Aunt Fancy," and #2) by thinking it was unseemly to use Dick Cheney's daughter as an example. I feel especially bad about that now that I know she is a gay rights activist. To not mention her specifically implies that there is something wrong with being a lesbian, and there is nothing wrong with it. A certain percentage of all species are homosexual. If there's nothing wrong with it, there's nothing wrong with mentioning her as an example- any more than using any family member for any sort of example is... like "strong women," or "school aged children," or "college students," "African American," or any other identifying descriptors of either candidate's families.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:48 pm
This smokescreen issue only serves to further delineate (DIVIDE) the rabid Partisans... and highlight the incidences of prejudice from the ignorami.

The fact that Bushbaby has seen fit to propose altering the United States' CONSTITUTION to tailor it to his personal prejudices should alarm America to the kind of person Bushbaby really is.

Ending this post on a high note... it looks like those formerly deluded LOG CABIN REPUBLICANS have finally seen a glimmer.

THIS time around, they might support a candidate who doesn't DESPISE them.

(Howzat coffee smell, Log Cabineers?)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:47 am
squinney wrote:

"I have two wonderful daughters. I love them very much. They are bright; they are hard-working; they are decent. And I simply am not going to talk about their personal lives," Cheney told Roberts.

An entirely reasonable reaction on the part of a parent, whether or not engaged in politics, or a novelist.

Quote:
Nationally, many gay leaders were alarmed by Lynne Cheney's remarks. The distaste implied by her use of the term "such a thing" to describe her daughter Mary's sexuality didn't come across as ringing acceptance. And some see it as an attempt to force Mary Cheney -- who has in fact publicly "declared" herself a lesbian, and has worked as the gay and lesbian corporate relations manager for Coors Brewing Co. -- back into the closet, at least on the campaign trail.

What is a "gay leader"? Do they have special status in our society or government? Do they have a special right to speak for any special segment of our population? Do others have any obligation to listen to them? Were they elected, or are they self-appointed to this exhaulted status?

More importantly what gives them the right to interpret or judge the inflection of a mother's voice or the small details of her word choice when speaking of her own children?

Does the fact that a person (of whatever sex or description) has told some people about some aspect of their lives give others the unlimited moral right to repeat it in a public forum for their own purposes? There is certainly a legal right here, subject only to the weak restraints of our liability law, however, is this in accordance with our generally accepted standards of public behavior?

[ quote]Gay leaders wasted no time blasting Lynne Cheney's remarks to Roberts. "They were horrible," said Human Rights Campaign spokesman David Smith. "She said she is proud of both her daughters, but there was definitely a sense this was one aspect of who her daughter is that she was not proud of. That came through loud and clear."
[/quote]

Evidently the self-appointed thought police are out in force.

There is little doubt in my mind that Lynne Cheny is partially motivated here by political considerations in her response to the very odd Edwards/Kerry remarks. However they started it, and their premeditation and political purpose in this vile matter are all too evident. A new low in American politics.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:06 am
georgeob1 wrote:
What is a "gay leader"? Do they have special status in our society or government? Do they have a special right to speak for any special segment of our population? Do others have any obligation to listen to them? Were they elected, or are they self-appointed to this exhaulted status?

More importantly what gives them the right to interpret or judge the inflection of a mother's voice or the small details of her word choice when speaking of her own children?

Does the fact that a person (of whatever sex or description) has told some people about some aspect of their lives give others the unlimited moral right to repeat it in a public forum for their own purposes? There is certainly a legal right here, subject only to the weak restraints of our liability law, however, is this in accordance with our generally accepted standards of public behavior?

[ quote]Gay leaders wasted no time blasting Lynne Cheney's remarks to Roberts. "They were horrible," said Human Rights Campaign spokesman David Smith. "She said she is proud of both her daughters, but there was definitely a sense this was one aspect of who her daughter is that she was not proud of. That came through loud and clear."

Evidently the self-appointed thought police are out in force.

There is little doubt in my mind that Lynne Cheny is partially motivated here by political considerations in her response to the very odd Edwards/Kerry remarks. However they started it, and their premeditation and political purpose in this vile matter are all too evident. A new low in American politics.

http://www.hrc.org/
Quote:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:35 am
mountain out of a molehill, but that is typical.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:40 am
Edwards wife really put her foot in her mouth discussing Lynne Cheney's comments.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:48 am
She said exactly what I thought.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:08 am
Me too.

georgeob1 wrote:
Soz - You exaggerate - No one asked Edwards if Cheny's daughter is homosexual. Your assertions in this regard are nonsense.

The reference was gratuitous and not at all called for in the question.

No, nobody asked if she was homosexual. (Which is why, you'll note, I also said nothing of the sort.) The moderator asked Cheney a question specifically in the context of Mary Cheney's homosexuality. (I'm trying italics, little change from caps, wonder if it'll work better? Doubt it.)

I already posted this, but just in case this will enlighten (notice how my expectations have gone waaaay down):

Quote:
IFILL: The next question goes to you, Mr. Vice President. 

I want to read something you said four years ago at this very setting: "Freedom means freedom for everybody." You said it again recently when you were asked about legalizing same-sex unions. And you used your family's experience as a context for your remarks.

Can you describe then your administration's support for a constitutional ban on same-sex unions?

Translation: You, personally, are against DOMA. You have given as a reason for your opposition the fact that you have a lesbian daughter. How do you reconcile that with the administration's support for it?

Princess, yes, I agree that at some point it becomes more strange NOT to mention her.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:15 am
squinney wrote:
My apologies, Bill. The Your was intended as a collective of those finding this to be a taboo subject given the premise of the question and topic of discussion. Certainly not a personal attack.
Fair enough. I tend to overplay my hand when confronted by homophobes myself. Frankly, I rather enjoy calling them out and harassing them. On a couple occasion I've even had to stifle their ignorance with intimidation (used to have a gay drinking buddy... who was way too delicate for fisticuffs, himself :wink:).

squinney wrote:
This was not the first I have heard of Mary being gay. I've known it for several years. Don't really find it to be any big deal.
My turn to apologize. Your tone seemed to change completely after Soz's post. Perhaps your blood pressure just dropped a little. Smile I don't think it's a big deal either. But since a substantial percentage of the public disagrees… And that's why it should be up to Mary how much publicity she wishes to receive about it.

squinney wrote:
BTW, her mother, Lynne Cheney wrote a very saucy lesbian romance novel back in the early eighties if I remember the timing correctly. Many are familiar with that as well, though it is impossible to get ahold of now. THAT speaks to the hypocrisy of her feigned indignation as much as anything, IMO.
THAT doesn't necessarily speak to hypocrisy at all. Try this: What if they were one big happy homo family, with 75% percent of the members being gay and naturally in various degrees of being "out of the closet" Couldn't a gay Lynne and Dick Cheney still be offended that their daughter was used as a weapon?

The gayness isn't really the issue. The reckless disregard for someone's offspring is. What if she were straight, but had Aids? Shouldn't it be up to Mary how famous she'd like to be for it… whether she volunteers at the local aides clinic or not? How about if she were, gasp, a Jew? Would converting to Judaism be an open invitation to use her to slam her father's business partner because of some perceived contradiction? These things are no one's business but Mary's. All of the above would be legitimate public concerns about Dick, or George. At the same time, all of these things would be invasions of Mary's privacy...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:28 am
Unless there were efforts being made to amend the Constitution to ban people with Aids from marrying or to ban Jewish converts from marrying, your examples don't carry much weight Bill.
0 Replies