teen diets

candidone1

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:19 pm
Nani wrote:
Hi, I'm 14 about 5'6 and I weight 197 pounds my goal is to lose about 60 pounds before I start high school this fall. And even though I've read all these other posts and I kinda get a idea of what I should do these other girls are obviously not my more...intense weight so I was wondering two things. One I have never really been the kind of person to just guess I need more structure so is there more of a specific way I can eat? I would really like to know just to know more about the exact amount and things I should eat. Second I wanted to know which types of exercise helps burn the most weight and if there is anything I could do to knock off my stomach fat? Thanks.

You won't make your goal by fall.
Set realistic weight loss goals, not "in an ideal world" goals.
Dropping 60 pounds is a great idea, but doing it in a few months is irresponsible and unhealthy unless is is a physician monitored program. Stay tuned for further posts with more detail...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:40 pm
PLEASE READ THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are serious about losing weight, listen up.
1. Set realistic weight loss goals

2. Understand that weight loss is not glamorous, nor is it in any way, shape or form easy. It can be boring, frustrating and full of sacrifices you don't want to make, or simply get tired of making.

3. Weight loss can be exciting, easy and glamorous if you stick with a program that works and you see progress.

4. There are no "winning diets", only fad diets. Atkins predictibly went bankrupt this week and dies the same death everyone before him has. Celebrities have resources and time that you don't have...plus they get paid to endorse a certain "diet". Don't succumb to the hype made by celebrity endorsements. There is one proven and guaranteed path to success. Determination, committment and sacrifice. There are no shortcuts. Try to follow a shortcut and failure will follow.

5. Don't allow frustration and disappointment claim you. Although this is an integral part of the process, this is what weeds out the winners and the losers of the battle of the buldge.

6. Remember that weight loss isn't about fitting into those cute little jeans and halter top. It's about being healthy and committing, not only yourself, but your future generations to a healthy lifestyle. The is no greater health crime than overweight parents promoting and forcing their unhealthy habits upon their children. Cute jeans and halter tops may or may not come for you--that's back to realistic goal setting.

7. Genetics plays a major role in the path to weight loss. I have thin jeans and fought like hell to put on 25 pounds in the gym, and I have a girlfriend who's a size 0 who works her ass to be a fit and firm 0...not some raily heroin chic chick. Look at your parents and grandparents and that'll give you an indication of what genes you'll be battling. For some it just means that the fight will be that much harder. Dig your heels in and grind that axe.

I'll post some training and nutritional info later.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:43 pm
General Nutrition

Good nutrition, like good training, is simple - learn the basics and practice them consistently. A little knowledge and a lot more discipline is the secret. Apply yourself diligently - look ahead, don't look back and don't look for shortcuts. There simply aren't any.

Health and fitness has climbed to the top of America's popularity list and has become big business. As you've noticed, there's a gym on every corner and a glut of diet and bodybuilding formulas to pack on muscle and burn off fat. Competition is fierce, the promises are bizarre and we're all confused, suspicious and eventually numb. We have on our hands a zillion ways to diet, feed ourselves and live our lives for fitness. Let's clear the air and put some things in order.

RULE # 1- Stay away from fats, excessive salt and simple sugars. This eliminates 99% of the fast foods, munchies and soft drinks. Who needs them? In a few short weeks, you won't want them, wonder why you ate them and feel sick if you do!

RULE # 2 - Eat a basic breakfast of complete carbohydrates and protein to set up your metabolism for the day and to provide fuel and muscle building ingredients. Basically, protein builds muscle and carbohydrate supplies fuel for energy. Breakfast can be an easy to prepare meal from a quality protein shake to a bowl of oatmeal, scoop of cottage cheese, fruit and coffee. Remember, if you don't feed yourself a small wholesome meal in the morning, your body will draw on your muscle tissue as a source of energy, putting you in a slump and in muscle deficit. Add a good vitamin and mineral formula each morning to put order and efficiency in your body chemistry.

RULE # 3 - With whatever effort it takes, feed yourself every 3 to 4 hours throughout the day - each meal consisting again of protein and carbohydrate. Any combination of the following is perfect: tuna/rice, lean meat/baked potato, cottage cheese and fruit, chicken/pasta, etc. (Vegetarians - take particular care in order to get plenty of protein in your diet.)

RULE # 4 - In simple English, to gain weight, eat more and eat more often. Be ready for solid bulk weight - lean muscle comes slowly but surely. To lose weight, eat less, still as often, consuming the majority of your calories early in the day.

RULE # 5 - I have always instinctively leaned toward a higher intake of protein over carbohydrate to build a lean body. Though contrary to popular opinion, many doctors and top bodybuilders I've conferred with agree. Emphasize protein.

RULE # 6 - Between meal snacking is okay if the snack is truly nutritious - no junk! Don't let them be a substitute for a meal or become a habit. Good snacks are fruits or vegetables, low fat muffins, protein energy bars, nonfat yogurt, whole wheat bagels, cottage cheese, etc.

RULE # 7 - Simple carbohydrates (sugar and honey) provide us with a quick pickup but let us down just a quickly. Excessive sugar plays havoc with our insulin metabolism and leads to fatigue and fat storage. Not good.

RULE # 8 - Fuel up before your workout. Eat a small easily digested meal 30-60 minutes before you train. With complex carbohydrates in your system, you'll train harder, longer and with more enthusiasm. You won't experience low blood sugar jitters or dizziness - you will experience a great muscle pump and probably get that last rep. After a long day's work, protein shakes are the kings.

RULE # 9 - Similarly, you need to eat a hearty protein meal with plenty of carbs within 60-90 minutes of completion of your workout. This is necessary to provide the muscle building materials to repair depleted tissue and begin the process of building new muscle.

RULE #10 - The most important nutrient in your body is plain water. The quality of your tissues, their performance and their resistance to injury is absolutely dependent on the quality and quantity of the water you drink. Flood yourself throughout the day, especially during the workout.

RULE #11 - Sleep, rest and relaxation are of prime importance. It's during periods of sound sleep that our bodies recuperate and build muscle tissue.

It's really not all that complicated, just have to be dedicated.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:55 pm
This is why being healthy and of a healthy weight is important:

Health Consequences of Overweight and Obesity

Overweight and obese individuals (BMI of 25 and above) are at increased risk for physical ailments such as:
- High blood pressure, hypertension
- High blood cholesterol, dyslipidemia
- Type 2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetes
- Insulin resistance, glucose intolerance
- Hyperinsulinemia
- Coronary heart disease
- Angina pectoris
- Congestive heart failure
- Stroke
- Gallstones
- Cholescystitis and cholelithiasis
- Gout
- Osteoarthritis
- Obstructive sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- Some types of cancer (such as endometrial, breast, prostate, and colon)
- Complications of pregnancy such as; gestational diabetes, gestational hypertension and preeclampsia as well as complications in operative delivery (i.e., c-sections).
- Poor female reproductive health (such as menstrual irregularities, infertility, irregular ovulation)
- Bladder control problems (such as stress incontinence)
- Uric acid nephrolithiasis
- Psychological disorders (such as depression, eating disorders, distorted body image, and low self-esteem).
0 Replies

shan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 12:02 pm
SUM1 PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ REPLY IM 16YRS OLD IM ABOUT 5 3'' AND I WEIGH ABOUT 128POUNDS. AM I OVER WEIGHT?? HOW CAN I LOOSE WEIGHT???PEOPLE SAY IM FAT AND I OFTEN GET DEPRESSED SOMETIMES WANT TO DIE PLZ HELP
0 Replies

SneakyBeaky

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm
I think that if you read through this entire thread, you will find that others have asked practically the same question and have graciously been answered quite thoroughly. People will be more likely to help you if you take the time to read the advice they've already given.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:55 pm
shan wrote:
SUM1 PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ REPLY IM 16YRS OLD IM ABOUT 5 3'' AND I WEIGH ABOUT 128POUNDS. AM I OVER WEIGHT?? HOW CAN I LOOSE WEIGHT???PEOPLE SAY IM FAT AND I OFTEN GET DEPRESSED SOMETIMES WANT TO DIE PLZ HELP

There is 7 pages of information preceeding your post.
If you're 16 and too lazy to read this thread in it's entirity and take the plunge into the depths of the internet to search for "teen diets", "teen weight loss", "teenage obesity" etc etc, then I question how dedicated you'd be at actually losing the weight.
16 yrs old means grade 10 right?
You should be be internet savvy enough to come in with educated questions about how to get from A to B, B to C etc.
Clearly you've identified problem #1.
I've uncovered problem #2.

What's #3?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:37 am
I can't stand this. Lazy kids. If you can't take the time to do SOME research on your problem you will never be motivated enough to lose weight and stick to it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:54 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I can't stand this. Lazy kids. If you can't take the time to do SOME research on your problem you will never be motivated enough to lose weight and stick to it.

BINGO!!
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:08 am
They'll be the same ones trying all the "get rich quick" and "lose weight fast" schemes because they don't want to put in any effort to earn something.
I teach dozens of kids like that. Everything has to be a shortcut, or someone else has to do it for them.
0 Replies

jetergirl213

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:20 pm
soooo sick of being fat..can someone pleeease help me??
..i am REALLY overweight..im 12 years old like 5 foot 1 and i weigh 180 pounds!!! Sad im soo sick of being sooo fat. i just want to lose 50 pounds really badly. but i want to lose the weight soon. i had planned on losing it by the beginning of school (in like a month) but now i want to atleast lose it by my birthday (november) or by christmas..all im saying is..someone please please please help me..)=
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:37 pm
Read everything on here...there is a lot of good advice, when I was 14 I was slightly overweight, so I stared dieting......I thought I was so fat until the day I became anorexic-not a good thing to have, I fought this battle for years, today I am a healthy normal weight, but I still think Im fat , when I know I am not....

eat healthy, and exercise....or talk to your Mom about joining weight watchers. :wink:
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:02 am
Re: soooo sick of being fat..can someone pleeease help me??
jetergirl213 wrote:
..i am REALLY overweight..im 12 years old like 5 foot 1 and i weigh 180 pounds!!! Sad im soo sick of being sooo fat. i just want to lose 50 pounds really badly. but i want to lose the weight soon. i had planned on losing it by the beginning of school (in like a month) but now i want to atleast lose it by my birthday (november) or by christmas..all im saying is..someone please please please help me..)=

Sorry kids. Everyone here has been asking us to help them out. If this doesn't illustrate the heart of the problem, then nothing will.

If you need advice on what to do, eat and what mindframe is required then ask specifics. Other than that, laziness and an inability to hunt and gather your own information seems to be problem #2.
We can only do so much. Age, height and weight doesn't help much.

What are you eating, when are you eating, how much are you eating, why do you eat, what triggers your eating patterns, who cooks your food.....?

What changes have you made in your diet, what foods have you omitted from your diet, what foods have you incorporated in your diet.....?

How often do you exercise, how long do you exercise for, how intense is your exercise, how regular is your exercise, do you make you heart rate increase and your breathing speed up, are you doing cardio and weight training, or only one.....?

Asking yourself what got you to where you are is the first step in determining how to get out of that "place". Changes need to be made, and they need to be made in every department. Clearly no one here is prepared to read 8 pages of posts, search the internet, or tell us what you have done and what is/isn't working.
There is no magic involved. Stop eating crappy foods, increase your exercise intensity and frequency (burn more calories than you consume) and you will see results.
0 Replies

whatshername3

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:09 pm
i just have a question for jpinMilwaukee:

where you put all the information about what you eat for meals like 5 small meals a day..etc. what brand or type of granola bars and tortilla chips are allright for your meal plan?? i was just wondering because im going to start using that meal plan for a week and see how it goes, but i just want to know what brands are the best (least fat, calories..etc)

if you could just post that for me i would be sooooo gateful.
0 Replies

whatshername3

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:09 pm
grateful**
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 01:15 pm
whatshername..</3 wrote:
i just have a question for jpinMilwaukee:

where you put all the information about what you eat for meals like 5 small meals a day..etc. what brand or type of granola bars and tortilla chips are allright for your meal plan?? i was just wondering because im going to start using that meal plan for a week and see how it goes, but i just want to know what brands are the best (least fat, calories..etc)

if you could just post that for me i would be sooooo gateful.

I would stay away from granola bars and tortilla chips for one.
Granola bars are typically very high in sugar, and tortilla chips are high in fat, as 99% of them are deep fried.

Try this: (numbers following foods account for protein, carbs, fat and calories--in that order. Chart just didn't line up properly)

It's not the best, but it's a good one to start with so as to not shock the system too much.

Quote:
Breakfast
Amount Item Protein Carbs Fats Calories
1 cup Milk - 1% 4.00 5.50 1.00 50.00
1 pack Oatmeal - instant pkt.,maple 4.50 31.60 2.10 152.00
Total: 8.50 37.10 3.10 202.00
AM Snack
1 each MetRx Bar 26.00 52.00 2.5 320.00
Total: 26.00 52.00 2.5 320.00
Lunch
1 each Chicken sandwich - Wendy's grilled 24.00 37.00 13.00 340.00
12 ounces Coca cola- diet w/ caffeine 0.00 0.40 0.00 0.00
Total: 24.00 37.40 13.00 340.00
PM Snack
2 each Bread whole wheat -slice 6.00 24.00 2.00 140.00
2 tsp Mayo type reg, w/salt 0.32 8.42 11.77 137.37
2.5 ounces Tuna Solid White-Water small can 18.75 0.00 0.90 89.28
Total: 25.07 32.42 14.67 366.64
Dinner
4 ounces Halibut - broiled 22.50 0.00 3.00 119.25
0.5 cup rice-white cooked steamed 3.00 31.00 0.00 82.00
0.5 cup Vegetables - mixed, frozen, boiled 2.60 11.90 0.10 54.00
Total: 28.10 42.90 3.10 255.25

Grand Total: 111.67 201.82 36.37 1483.89
0 Replies

whatshername3

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:38 am
thanks
candidone:

thanks alot for the help and ideas, i just have a question.. what is a MetRx bar and where can i get them??
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 09:45 am
Click here and you'll be amazed at what can be found at the snap of your fingers!
0 Replies

lilcookie2sweet

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 04:53 pm
Re: SadSadSadSad
Bella Dea wrote:
jojo_girl wrote:
I`m about 5' 2 and im around 121!!

I must be fat then because I weight about 2 lbs less than you and am around the same height..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

That is absolutely NOT fat in my opinion. You might have areas that are less than flat (like me) and a little jiggly but in no way are you fat.

Get to the gym and don't eat sweets. You sound like you need toning not weight loss.

ur not fat im 5'8 and i weigh 122 im fat so ur not.
0 Replies

lilcookie2sweet

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 04:58 pm
Re: soooo sick of being fat..can someone pleeease help me??
jetergirl213 wrote:

hey i went to a size 13 to a 1 in only three months. all u have to do is stop eating junk food and at restraunts. exercise 30 minutes a day and tone ur body. i at veggitables and fruits all day then had a balanced dinner. thats all to it. eat breakfast too u loss wieght when u eat in the moring.
0 Replies