teen diets

jordi

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:51 am
hi. i am 15 years old 16 in oct. i weigh from 190-200 pounds. i used to be a dancer when i was younger and then recently gained a lot of weight. i have a stomache disease so it is hard for me to diet and i do not have a lot of money to join a gym. i live wiht my mother who is 45 years old and wears a size 4 she is 126 pounds and this to me is discouraging. she says she needs to gain weight!!! my father recently lost a major amount of weight and now wears a size 34. i cant even fit into his pants i am a size 10. this is very discouraging. i volunteer in a hospital and eat poorly. i stopped dieting when i realized i was not loosing weight and was not accepted back into dance. please help this is really tough for me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
Uh, a size 10 isn't really overly fat. Perhaps on a small frame, it's a bit bulky but in no way can you say a 10 is overly fat. How tall are you? What is your build?

And your "diet" that didn't work...what was it? What did you eat? When? Did you exercise? How much?

Re-read this thread and then come back and ask these questions.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:01 pm
And just so that anyone else posting and complaining they aren't a size0, 2 or 4.....

Bella Dea wrote:
First let me say that anorexia and bulemia are at epidemic proportions in this country. Young girls are fervently concerned about their body shape and size and want to be a size 0. Well, guess what ladies? Being a woman means you are no longer a size 0, and if you are, you were either born with great genes or you work your ass off (literally) at getting there. Once you start to mature, fat begins to accumulate in places you'd rather not have it. It is in preperation for pregnancy. Do not think that you must be a size 0 to be beautiful! And I agree with whoever said, get thee off the scales! Weight means virtually nothing. If you look good, and feel good, who cares if you weigh more than you "think you should". Muscle does weigh more than fat. You do not need to be stick thin to look good. Ask nearly any man and they will tell you they like a woman with curves, not some stick figure who looks about to snap at one touch. All the women you see every day are not real. Even the sexiest and most beautiful super model is airbrushed and tweaked and pulled and taped and made up.

But don't get me wrong.....being overweight is just as dangerous as thinking you have to live up to magazine expectations.

Obesity is just as big of a problem. It is the number 2 (#2!!!!) preventable killer of adults in this country, second only to smoking! American's don't want to work for what they want: a healthy, trim body. I know because I don't want to eat right, avoid junk food and exercise regularly. The mentality "big is beautiful" IS just as dangerous as the "heroin chic" mentality. Being overweight causes undue stress on all of your organs and leads to so many diseases I won't begin to list them.

Everyone here has given you great advice. Eating right is the first step to getting fit. You may never be a size 0 or even a size 4. But you can look and feel your best.

You all asked for diets. Well, there is no one diet that will do what you want. You have to do what is right for your body. And eating good alone won't cut it. Even those pills they sell on tv (which I strongly advise against!!!) say in tiny print at the bottom "Results not typical. Use with diet and exercise program." Make it a habit to eat smaller portions. And eat frequently. Do cardio and strength training. If you don't lift a lot of weight, you won't get bulk but you will get nice toned muscles. DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER. Water is a natural flush. It has also been suggested that calcium helps speed up the metabolism. So ladies, drink your milk!

And remember that you are beautiful no matter what you look like. However, if you want to stay alive, you have to get healthy. Shewolf posted some links earlier on another thread and you might want to check them out. It gives you a healthy ideal weight range.

Good luck!!!!

BMI
Ideal Weight
0 Replies

jordi

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:09 pm
i am 5'8"
i used to use the treadmill for an hour a day and i cut down my food intake . i used to be a 4-5 in pants so ten is big to me. i wear a much larger dress size. i am also top heavy. Sad
0 Replies

jordi

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:12 pm
o my build. i have a large top frame, and small hips. i have very muscular legs from dance. excersizing doesnt make me tired
0 Replies

pixe-dust

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:21 pm
Hi. I am trying to lose some weight buy my 16nth birthday in november
I sit at around 230-240 right now and I hate it so much I am about 5'7" and was wondering if anyone has some quick diets.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:23 pm
Jordi, you aren't fat. You might have some fat in places you don't want it, but being a woman means being soft. Your mom is in a small group of women. Most women aren't like that at her age, especially after children. Don't feel discouraged. You also have a large chest, which weighs more. And muscle which weighs more.
Without seeing you, without being a doctor, I can't say if you are 10 lbs overweight, 40lbs overweight or just right.

Go by what feels good to you. If you don't feel good about your body, change it! But remember, that you are still growing and that your body will change a lot over the next 10 years.

You need to eat a balanced diet. You need to exercise and lift weights. You don't need a gym to do this. Tread mill is fine, walking, running, whatever. Dance around the living room for an hour, every day.
Don't ever NOT eat. It's the worst thing you can do...you might actually gain weight because your body then saves everything you eat.

If you are going to do it, do it right. Fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains. Don't become obsessed but be mindful of what you put into your mouth. The process will be slow. Don't expect miracles overnight. Such diets don't exist.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:24 pm
pixe-dust wrote:
Hi. I am trying to lose some weight buy my 16nth birthday in november
I sit at around 230-240 right now and I hate it so much I am about 5'7" and was wondering if anyone has some quick diets.

Nope.

Get up off your butt and move. You can expect at best to lose about 25 lbs by November 1st. Unless you do something stupid like some fad diet that will allow you quick weight loss that won't stay off or will hurt your body.
0 Replies

ozzy lover

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:26 am
Teen Diets
My name is Jordan! I weigh 150 pounds! Can some body tell me what i should do?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:30 am
Re: Teen Diets
ozzy lover wrote:
My name is Jordan! I weigh 150 pounds! Can some body tell me what i should do?

Go to page 1 of this thread and read until about page 6.
0 Replies

jordi

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
jordan we have the same name, i go by jordi . i started excersizing and eating right i feel better i dont know if i look better yet but i feel better
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
jordi wrote:
jordan we have the same name, i go by jordi . i started excersizing and eating right i feel better i dont know if i look better yet but i feel better

And that is what is REALLY important!

Good for you! Keep it up!!!!
0 Replies

jovy

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 01:58 pm
OVERWEIGHT
Im veryyy scared and I have noo self confidence. Im 14 years old 5 foot 6 and I weigh 200 pounds Embarrassed All my friends say i dont look like i weight that much but knowing that I do dosent help. I wear a size 16 in jeans. Im going to grade 9 and im soo scared that i wont make any friends. Im trying to eat less but its soooo hard aand i always get carried away. I dont noe what to do or what kind of diet to go on HELP!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 02:02 pm
Jovy - go back and read the first 6 pages of this thread. Go to the links that Bella Dea posted and read the advice that Slappy gave. Only a change in lifestyle can help, diets are useless.
0 Replies

to be nobody or not to be

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 09:34 pm
step-by-step plan?????
Hello. My problem is obvious i'm a 15 year old non self-bearing teen and very superficial of my outside looks. I weigh about 175 pounds at a height of 5'6 or 5'7 feet (yesh im tall..big woop.) Anyhow my problem is not only the normal teenage freakout question "oh, how do i loose weight?!"....its exactly .... "how do i loose weight consistently?" i know its up to me to stay on the plan but what's the plan? yeah sure eat healthy..blah blah...but i need a strict step by step diet. i have no problem as far as exercising...got a treadmill in my room as well as FOOD<<<which is the problem...FOOD. so can you help or are your just going to give me the same "eat fruits and veggies" lingo..? Cause if that's all i need to do then i should just stick detox diet pills down my throat and watch poop slide down my *beep* ...the next best thing to drugs i only only your *beep* is zonked out. sorry for my french....guess depression is taking place..im 15...its normal they say.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:08 am
Step 1) Get the food out of your room.
Step 2) Exercise. Really. Whatever you like. Whatever you can do. I can't figure out what "non self-bearing" means. Are you disabled? Even folks in wheelchairs are able (often) to lift weights of some sort. Personally, I hate running but I don't mind walking. It's whatever consistently works for you.
Step 3) Yes, you have to eat fruits and vegetables. Sorry you don't like 'em. But that's the way it is. You need to eat them to be healthy and they fill you up better than most other foods do, without adding too many calories. If you don't like one method of preparation, try another. As in, salsa, smoothies, salad wraps, whatever. I have no idea what you like to eat so you need to be more forthcoming about that in order to get more meaningful advice.
Step 4) Learn to cook. Learn how to put it all together. This is a good life skill to have anyway, but you also need to learn how to control portions and ingredients, as in oven baking rather than frying, or low fat margarine instead of butter, etc.
Step 5) Read food labels. Everything and anything, even if you're not eating it. Know what's in your food. Know what's out there.
Step 6) Work with your family. Whoever prepares the meals, if it's not you, needs to know that you're trying to lose weight so that they can help you out. And, as in Step #4, you can help with that.
Step 7) Eat more vegetarian. There's those dreaded fruits and vegetables again, but they really will help you. And I mean real vegetarian, as in rice and beans or tofu dishes, and not just eating side dishes while everyone else eats meat. This is so you can continue to work on your nutritional future.
Step 8) Weights. Even if all you do is carry around an extra book in your backpack. Weight-bearing builds muscle. Aerobic exercise burns fat. You need to do both.
Step 9) Relax. Smile Really. You're still growing. I'm not saying you're going to suddenly shoot up five inches and your weight problem will vanish overnight, but the thing of it is, your metabolism is still ping-ponging around. Be consistent with diet and exercise but your body may still do wacky things. Let it, it happens. As you get older, it'll respond more consistently.
Step 10) There is no step #10.
0 Replies

to be nobody or not to be

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 08:06 am
thanks! i love all kinds of food though fresh fruit i can live w/out but i'll try. lol no step 10? alright.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 11:11 am
Here's an article that pretty much reflects my view on margarine - if you are going to use it, use the kind without trans fats, which not only raise the "bad" cholesterol but decrease the "good" cholesterol. I agree with them on cooking with monosaturate oils instead of margarine or butter, but still occasionally use butter (which increases the "bad" cholesterol but doesn't decrease the "good"..

The article also talks about other foods transfats (partially hydrogenated veggie fats) are found in.

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/fitness/transfats.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:50 pm
Cooking with butter, while fatter, is so much better. Use in moderation and it shouldn't effect your weight loss.

Also, you can use the sprays in pans when cooking pancakes and the like.
0 Replies

notsohot2

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
HELP ME I AM FAT
omg i have a brother right....and he always tells me i am fat but i dont know what to do...all i do is eat and i am a frweshman in high school and i like everyone i get along with everyone because i am nice......but everyone says ia m pretty but i am sooooooooooooooooo chunky i hate it anyways i jhust need help my brother tells me to gointo a sport but volleyball season is over nd i am going to play next year but thats not gonna help much and i am gonna do cheerleading next month but thats not that active ia m 14(136 pds) i just need help i wanna have a really nice body for spring break and maintain that body so please help me
0 Replies