Ding-dong! The Witch of Cuba is dead! Castro's dead at 90.

Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:16 pm
Who's saying they're a fan. Just because their is some good stuff in a country doesn't make their leader a great guy. Like, you know, the US has disneyworld and an Oompa loompa, but you don't want to be judged on your choice of leader, so maybe back off the rhetoric for a while, eh?
georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:26 pm
@Ceili,
Please elaborate. I've seen only favorable assessments (and, yes, rhetoric) about Revolutionary Cuba and Castro from you and other Canadian frequent posters here. Your denial strikes me as deceptive, but if I've missed something I would be glad to see it.

I didn't see any objections to your pronouncing a "judgment" of us, rather the criticsms were directed at the emotion and lack of substance in your words. It left the impression of one who was exceedingly self-righteous,overwrought and a bit childish.

In addition I get the impression that you have difficulty in taking even a small portion of what you give out.
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:29 pm
@georgeob1,
I dunno, reread what I wrote. I'm not a fan, but I do like Cubans? So I guess by default in your books???
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:33 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It left the impression of one who was exceedingly self-righteous,overwrought and a bit childish.

Jesus, do you ever use another line? I don't like trump - the same as many others in your own country, are we all exceedingly self-righteous,overwrought and a bit childish or do you only reserve that for people who disagree with you?
Where's Robert to discuss Tone? lol
georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:35 pm
@Ceili,
I like Cubans too. One of my sons lives in Coral Gables Florida, a few miles south of Calle Ocho and "little Havana". I like the place, the restaurants and the atmosphere a lot. I notice that most of the Cubans there aren't very fond of Castro either (there was dancing in the streets at the news of his death). We really don't know what the current residents of the real Havana think because they face severe penalties for speaking out. However, I'm sure they are all encouraged by the popularity of their current tyrant among Canadians.
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:38 pm
@georgeob1,
Again, Canadians as a whole aren't fans. I'm not sure you get that. However, unlike Americans, we don't feel we need to snub the people or impose embargoes that hurt them. Castro lived like a king and his people suffered. Why don't you understand that?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:48 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Jesus, do you ever use another line? I don't like trump - the same as many others in your own country, are we all exceedingly self-righteous,overwrought and a bit childish or do you only reserve that for people who disagree with you?

I preferred Harper to Trudeau in your last election, but as it isn't my affair or choice I avoided comment. You made a different choice. I don't have any problem with disagreement or those who disagree witrh me (indeed I enjoy the debate). Instead, I reserve the words to which you referred, for those who are self-righteous overwrought and childish.
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:02 pm
Quote:
ROME - Pope Francis on Saturday expressed “sorrow” over the death of former Cuban leader Fidel Castro, sending a telegram to Castro’s brother Raul, who took over the presidency of the island nation in 2008.

“Upon receiving the sad news of the death of your dear brother, His Excellency Mister Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz, former president of the State Council and of the Government of the Republic of Cuba, I express my sentiments of sorrow to Your Excellency and other family members of the deceased dignitary, as well as to the people of this beloved nation,” the pontiff’s telegram reads.

“At the same time, I offer prayers to the Lord for his rest and I trust the whole Cuban people to the maternal intercession of our Lady of the Charity of El Cobre, patroness of this country,” he says.
http://bit.ly/2gzFPJA
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:15 pm
@georgeob1,
Well then, I have nothing more to say to you. It's not about the debate, it's about name-calling and that's hardly an intelligent debate. Carry on.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:15 pm
@blatham,
Why do I detect a lack of sincerity in Blatham's interposition of the Pope's condolences in all this? ( I do however appreciate the irony.)

The Pope merely expressed sympathy to the family for the death of Fidel, and offered his prayers to the Lord for Fidel, them and the whole Cuban people.

I'm confident that the Marxist Tyrant fully appreciated that.
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Goodness, you can be a lazy reader george
Quote:
I express my sentiments of sorrow to Your Excellency and other family members of the deceased dignitary, as well as to the people of this beloved nation
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:27 pm
Here's a chap I was not familiar with. He's another dilly.
Quote:
Atkins, a former financial regulator who is playing a major role in the Trump presidential transition, has railed against labor unions, environmentalists and gay rights groups for challenging public companies through shareholder activism. He has called companies “weenies” who often "cave" to social activists. And he was once the only one of 68 business leaders who refused to endorse a report recommending ways to combat “crony capitalism” in Washington.
http://politi.co/2gzSTyy
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:39 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Goodness, you can be a lazy reader george
Quote:
I express my sentiments of sorrow to Your Excellency and other family members of the deceased dignitary, as well as to the people of this beloved nation

Please point out any meaningful contradictions. Perhaps you don't believe "sympathy" is a rough equivalent to "sentiments of sorrow" ot that "the family" is equivalent to "Your Excellency and other family members of the deceased dignitary" are equuivalent. If so that is BS.

georgeob1 wrote:
The Pope merely expressed sympathy to the family for the death of Fidel, and offered his prayers to the Lord for Fidel, them, and the whole Cuban people.
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:41 pm
Quote:
The problem with Donald Trump isn’t just that he lies constantly, but also that he can’t keep his story straight. On Sunday, he issued forth a string of tweets about the election results and the ongoing recount efforts launched by Green Party leader Jill Stein. They advanced three separate arguments. The first tweet read: “So much time and money will be spent [on the recount]—same result! Sad.” The subsequent tweet read: “In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally.” And the next two tweets formed a single thought: “It would have been much easier for me to win the so-called popular vote than the Electoral College in that I would only campaign in 3 or 4-states instead of the 15 states that I visited. I would have won even more easily and convincingly (but smaller states are forgotten)!”

What’s interesting about these three tweets is that, on the face of it, Trump’s second point contradicts both his first and third assertions. For if Trump truly did win the popular vote despite massive fraud (as alleged in point 2), then a recount wouldn’t give the same result, as he’s asserting in the first tweet. And saying that Trump is already the real popular-vote winner flatly goes against saying he would have been the popular-vote winner if that had been his goal. It’s logically possible that points 1 and 3 are right, or that point 2 is right. It’s impossible that all three are right.

And, as Heer concludes (he's another Canadian, by the way)
Quote:
Fact-checking Trump is vitally important, but it doesn’t go far enough. Unless we analyze how he’s attacking not just facts but also logic, we can’t measure the full damage he’s doing and respond accordingly
. http://bit.ly/2fFEaxH
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:44 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
georgeob1 wrote:
The Pope merely expressed sympathy to the family for the death of Fidel, and offered his prayers to the Lord for Fidel, them, and the whole Cuban people.

In that sentence, sympathy goes to family. Prayers to the people.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 04:57 pm
This will be a test of integrity and whether there's much concern at all for standards by ambitious Jason Chaffetz.
Before he was re-elected to Congress, Chaffetz promised his constituents that he would hold the president-elect accountable, whether it was Trump or Hillary Clinton. http://bit.ly/2fFVXF3

Quote:
“I don’t care who is in the White House. My Job is not to be a cheerleader for the president. My job is to hold them accountable and to provide that oversight,” the letter quotes Chaffetz as saying in August during an interview with CNN’s Jim Sciutto.

Chaffetz told the Washington Post after Election Day that he would continue investigating Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state, saying “I still have a duty and obligation to get to the truth about one of the largest breaches of security at the State Department."

The test will be whether he attends in any substantive manner to dig into the potentially corruption of the WH/government given Trump's empire and his prior behaviors in aid of bringing in the big bucks. I'm not optimistic, but we'll see.

If my skepticism re Chaffetz's pre-election promises proves correct, then it will be up to reporting teams to do the work. And with presently strained budgets and reduced foreign bureaus (where such still remains at all) that's going to be one hell of a task.
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:33 pm
Addendum to that last post:

And as reporters do dig in and if/where they find profit-taking by Trump and/or family facilitated by his grip on the WH, the propaganda campaign to invalidate and smear media and reporters will be a full blown roar.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:47 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
There are many lifestyle, dfietary and other issues that affect longevity, and that is not the only relevant statistical measure of the effectiveness of medical care [in Cuba].

The two are roughly correlated. The countries that have the longest life expectancies also have the best health care. It might not be a case where the 10th best in one list is the automatically the 10th best in the other, but countries that are high in one list are high in the other.

Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
As I suggested earlier the differences in life expectancy among developed nations are small and generally statistically insignificant, while the dfifferences between developed and undeveloped countries are very large and of obvious significance.

Absolutely. Which brings up the question of just how "undeveloped" Cuba actually is if Cubans live that long. Especially since the Human Development Index rates it among the countries with the highest human development. Not as high as the US, but among the top 20% of all countries.

As for Cuba being a comparatively wealthy nation for that part of the world before Castro, that doesn't mean much considering that that whole area was pretty destitute in the early part of the 20th century. Clearly, the Castro regime did something right economically to vastly improve the living conditions of Cubans. As for how bad Cuba was human rights-wise, that is a different question.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:54 pm
@blatham,
Well none of this has happened yet, so perhaps your prejudgments are a bit premature.

Trump's nominally planned transfer of his company to the management of his adult children is indeed sufficent with respect to COI law. Questions and possibilities certainly remain - as they did with the Clinton Foundation when it was created. The issues with the Clintons arose much later over specific transactions with which Hillary and Bill were both connected. We shall have to see if similar issues arise with Trump.
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 06:17 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Well none of this has happened yet, so perhaps your prejudgments are a bit premature.

Past behaviors tend to be a dependable predictor of future behaviors. You don't hire a child molester to babysit your kids.