How many of you have visited Cuba?

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 03:40 pm
I've been to Cuba a couple of times, and found it enchanting. The people are friendly, the food and drink are top rate, and Ernest Hemingway fans will love it! There's a lot of history at the Nacional Hotel from the 1950's era. Frank Sinatra, Eva Gardner, Gary Cooper, Winston Churchill, and many other movie stars and VIP's stayed there during its haydays. We stayed there once, but always go to sit at their patio-bar to enjoy a Cuban cigar and drink. The ambiance is unique, and it's a great place to meet people from around the world - even Russia. One of our favorite restaurant, La Guarida, is not only a good restaurant, but one of the famous ones in Havana. http://www.laguarida.com/en/
We saw Susan Sarandon once; she walked into our dining room, turned around, and left. If I had my wits with me, I would have invited her to join us. My buddy and I have traveled all over Cuba, so we know the country pretty well. Would love to go back, but I doubt my wife will let me. Any questions? Would love to answer if I can.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,050 • Replies: 4
No top replies

radha9512

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Though I have not visited Cuba, But have heard a lot and seen pictures on the internet. Would love to visit it!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 04:54 pm
@radha9512,
I highly recommend it soon, because once the Americans flood the place, the ambiance will slowly disappear. It's a wonder to see 1950's American cars still in mint condition still plying their streets and highways. Their busses are from China, but are new and clean. When you visit Havana, visit the Nacional Hotel bar in the patio. It was my travel buddy and my favorite place to smoke a Cuban cigar and have a drink while watching the Malecon and sea. There's also a smoke room next to a good restaurant one block behind the Parque Central Hotel where you can meet people from all around the world. The lady there at the bar lit our cigar for us the proper way. If there's a guy standing at the corner behind Parque Central Hotel, his name is Billy. Say "hello" for us.
There's a right and wrong way to light and smoke a cigar. I know that sounds funny, but it's true. Visit the Partagas cigar factory behind El Capitolia (capitol building). Also, when you plan your trip to Cuba, change your US dollars to Canadian dollars or Euros. They get a better exchange rate because US dollars are discounted by 10% plus the fee. If you have any questions, I'll more than happy to try to answer them. I sure do miss Cuba. I even watch Cuba videos on the web. Makes me homesick for many of our favorite places and friends.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2018 05:33 am
I would love to visit - I got my first taste of it when my former neighbor who worked for the Farrelly Brothers gave us the video of the documentary on Luis Tiant going back to Cuba. He filled us in on this trip as he went as well (he had to pose as a former baseball player in order for Cuba to allow him to go as well at the time).

Yeah those old cars in video were so cool.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2018 09:27 am
@Linkat,
I went to Cuba through Mexico City. I met my travel buddy there who lives in Loreto, Mexico. He’s originally from Canada, but now owns a realty company, and the we stay overnight. I have a friend who is the editor of the English newspaper in Mexico. He taught at the uni for ten years before that. On one of my trips, Francisco gave me a tour of Mexico City. We visited the museum donated by Carlos Slim, one of the richest in Mexico. Those are the kinds of experiences that are priceless. Travel has been a passion because of experiences like that.
0 Replies