Earthquake shakes Cuba

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:09 pm
Havana, Cuba (CNN) -- A 5.6-magnitude earthquake shook Cuba on Saturday.

The quake struck at 1:08 p.m. (2:08 p.m. ET) 22 kilometers (14 miles) below the surface and was centered 44 km (27 miles) south-southwest of Guantanamo, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

"So far, there haven't been any reports of major damages or injuries," a civil defense official in Havana told CNN nearly an hour after the quake. "It's still early."

There were no immediate reports of injuries or major damage in Santiago de Cuba, which is 57 km (36 miles) from the epicenter, but a woman who runs a bed and breakfast there felt it.

"It was very strong," the woman said. "We ran and stood in the doorway. Neighbors were screaming and ran into the street. ... I haven't heard of any damages. Everybody is back inside."

"I don't think there are any damages, at least around here," said Mabel Martinez, who runs another bed and breakfast in Santiago de Cuba. "But people are definitely alarmed."

Source:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/03/20/cuba.earthquake/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,606 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 08:30 pm
@Merry Andrew,
A 5.6 can cause some major damage to poorly constructed buildings. Itll knock chimneys down and create hazards from falling masonry.
I wonder what the spherical solutions have got on all these series of quakes >
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:24 pm
They aren't following it up in the news I am following. Hopefully, nobody got hurt.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:24 pm
@farmerman,
Are Cuba and Haiti both on the same fault line? Along with Chile, maybe?
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Last I heard on NPR, there are no reports of fatalities or major property damage. Some buildings got shaken up pretty thoroughly, I understand.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:28 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I think Chile is one of those Pacific Rim places, Andy. Like yourself, I suppose.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:37 pm
@roger,
Yeah, I think you're right, Rog'. It's that 'Ring of Fire' thing which includes Mt. Fiji in Japan, the volcanoes of Alaska and Hawaii and whatever's along the South American Pacific coast.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 12:13 am
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
Are Cuba and Haiti both on the same fault line? Along with Chile, maybe?
They both sit on the edge of aplate at the deep trenches . This makes both Cuba and Dominican Republic/Haiti in baad location. These two are in one of the most complex plate boundaries on earth. As time goes on, N and S America will be torn apart with some really stretched out island arcs. I feel that the whole are from Mewv=xico central America and the Gulf will look like the area abround the Philipines and Sumatra and Indonesia.
The Chile/Haiti couple is only connected to the "Ring of Fire" by 2 transcurrent fault areas.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 12:22 am
@Merry Andrew,
I have been in an earthquake of similar size and it didnt cause any damage. The type of ground the building is on and the height and material construction of the building are very important for a quake down the smaller end of the scale.
Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 10:40 pm
@Ionus,
Just saw a doco last night that said housing will not survive undamaged a earthquake over 6.o on the richter scale. Now....what do they mean by housing ?
0 Replies