monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Baldimo

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:48 pm
@hightor,
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/12/obama-admin-sent-taxpayer-money-oust-netanyahu/

Obama wanted to see Netanyahu defeated in an Israeli election. Does that count?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I don't think so, the kid showed it to me, I asked for a link.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:50 pm
@hightor,
Yes, that's an extremely valuable article.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:52 pm
@hightor,
WP - The long history of the U.S. interfering with elections elsewhere

Guardian - Americans can spot election meddling because they’ve been doing it for years

Politico - When a Foreign Government Interfered in a U.S. Election

vocativ - Election Interference? The U.S. Has Done It In 45 Countries Worldwide
izzythepush

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:52 pm
Quote:
US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has removed himself from an FBI investigation into alleged Russian interference in the US election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39148114

Result.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:53 pm
As I'm reading this afternoon, I find I'm having difficulty remaining awake. There's no one else in the house but me and it's totally silent here other than the background sounds of the Trump administration sort of singing. Like a perfectly tuned Strativarius
ossobucotemp

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:53 pm
@hightor,
I remember it from MASH, and not the other stuff.
blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:55 pm
@McGentrix,
Now that is some cool argumentation, McG.

Let's ramp up all this good work even further and have China and Iran mucking about in US elections too.
izzythepush

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 03:57 pm
@McGentrix,
So now you're spouting Putin propaganda. The message being that Russia is no worse than other (real) democracies.

That's a crock, Russia has very little in the way of a free press, or an opposition. Its leaders are super corrupt and it discriminates against minorities and LGBT people.

Nobody is disputing that America has interfered in other countries' elections, the main difference is that the people in those countries are usually quite pissed off while you just bend over and take it.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I remember it from MASH, and not the other stuff.

The guy in M*A*S*H* was black, thus the name. "Spearchucker" Jones played by Oliver Harmon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:03 pm
@giujohn,
You first have to prove they are fake news. Also, that they are lies.
cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:04 pm
@izzythepush,
They're really confused. They want us to prove they're fake news.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-immigration-lies-us-president-told-cnn-softer-stance-fake-news-a7607656.html%3Famp
McGentrix

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:04 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Now that is some cool argumentation, McG.

Let's ramp up all this good work even further and have China and Iran mucking about in US elections too.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I think I am capable of deciding my vote on my own. I am just shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that so many Democrats could be so easily duped into believing that the DNC emails, while being true and a good "behind the curtain" look at what was really going on during the elections could not actually decide for themselves to vote for Clinton.

I mean, after all, she was pure as driven snow until the evil Russians came along and pulled the curtain back, right?

Glass houses and all that.
izzythepush

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:08 pm
@McGentrix,
The election is over Trump won. The only reason you're still banging on about it is because he's making such a pig's ear of being president.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:11 pm
@McGentrix,
For a change, I tend to agree with you on this, McG.

I used to call it "our big feet".
cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-russia-christopher-steele-dossier-us-senate-intelligence-hotel-british-spy-mi6-evidence-a7608456.html?amp
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:31 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix: So, you are going to compare Britain's efforts to tilt American elections toward a successful policy to save the advanced nations of the world from falling under totalitarianism to Putin' policy of trying to establish totalitarianism in Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic and other Eastern European nations now free?

You guys have got things a little mixed up. The idea is to repel totalitarianism, not allow yourself to wind up living under it.
izzythepush

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:49 pm
@Blickers,
Not to mention a failed coup in Montenegro. I started a thread on it, but Putin's boys voted it down. They really don't like the truth.

https://able2know.org/topic/369924-1
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 05:01 pm
So, as far as the comparisons between US meddling and the current activity by Russia — when I saw all the links you guys left I thought I was going to learn something new, that the US was engaged in massive cyber attacks and disinformation campaigns, and I was ready to eat crow for the second time today. But no, that stuff is 2oth Century chickenshit, Voice of America era. I accept that countries, like corporations, will interfere to prop up their brand. I honestly don't believe that's what's going on right now — it's more like Russia vs. the stability of the Western world. The way it connects with the rise of right wing populism in Europe and the USA is a much different dynamic than the efforts we've historically made to promote lackeys we could do bu$ine$$ with.
cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 05:07 pm
@hightor,
The don't understand the support for the right wing of Trump when his message is fear, xenophobe, bigotry, hate and divide.
Doesn't sound like the America I've been accustomed to for the past 50 years.