monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 12:54 am
@glitterbag,
I think the French call it mal de merde, or something like that.
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 03:12 am
@goldberg,
Quote:
Just go back to Russia.

The fact that this comment gets seven thumbs up, confirms my suspicion that goldy is a sock puppet. Prolly Gbag.
goldberg

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 04:16 am
@Builder,
Nein. Actually, Trump begged me to speak for him here, telling me that Ivanka Trump would jilt Jared Kushner and jump into my hairy arms. Yet I rebuffed it on the grounds a liberal like me had to express fealty to liberal values I hold dear instead of glorifying Trump's perfidy. Which is to say I don't want to be a traitor like Trump, who has already turn his back on America.

America needs a leader who exalts American values. Biden is a better choice compared with Trump, although his age might be an encumbrance. Yet he is the only choice we got for America-just like a friend once remarked here- if America still sets great store by the perception that it's America's duty to safeguard the liberal world order as the most powerful nation on earth. It can't resile from America's social contract with the American people or the deal with other small foreign nations, which is America will be there protecting you and this free world when other thuggish nations try to impinge on people's freedoms.

In a way, slavery is still a festering social issue facing not just black people or people of colour. Some white paupers are also in thrall to totalitarian ruling and class antagonism. And it has nothing to do with a person's hide since well-off snobs and flinty functionaries are everywhere on this planet.

0 Replies

goldberg

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 04:27 am
@Builder,
Peggy Noonan, who's a conservative columnist, also scoffed at Trump's timidity in her latest column. I think Trump couldnt careless since he has lots of bunkers to choose from. Run, run, run Trump.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 06:40 am
Trump downplays concerns of Pentagon’s top general about church photo, calls it a ‘beautiful picture’
Quote:
President Trump in an interview broadcast Friday defended his photo opportunity at a church near the White House as “a beautiful picture” and downplayed concerns of the Pentagon’s top general that it created the perception of military involvement in domestic politics.

“I think it was a beautiful picture. I’ll tell you, I think Christians think it was a beautiful picture,” Trump told Fox News in an interview taped Thursday.

Trump’s comments came hours after Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, apologized for appearing alongside the president at St. John’s Episcopal Church minutes after federal authorities forcibly removed peaceful protesters from the area. Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper, who also participated in the photo opportunity, has said he did not realize in advance what would be happening.

Asked whether he thinks such concerns are “significant,” Trump replied, “No, I don’t think so.”

“I mean, if that’s the way they feel, I think that’s fine,” Trump told Fox News’s Harris Faulkner. “I have good relationships with the military. I’ve rebuilt our military. . . . When we took it over from President Obama and Biden, the military was a joke.”
[...]
Trump’s comments came in a wide-ranging interview with Faulkner taped Thursday in Dallas, where Trump held a roundtable discussion on race relations and policing. Portions of the interview were aired by the cable station on Thursday night, while other portions are airing on Friday.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 07:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump on Juneteenth rally: 'Think about it as a celebration'
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump defended his decision to resume campaign rallies next week on a day marking the end of U.S. slavery and at the site of a black massacre 100 years ago, saying it would be a celebration.

The Republican president drew criticism for scheduling the rally on June 19, known as Juneteenth, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where white mobs attacked black citizens and businesses in one of the country’s bloodiest outbreaks of racist violence.

The rally will take place amid a backdrop of widespread protests against racism in the country after the death of a 46-year-old black man at the hands of a Minneapolis police officer, who is accused of murdering him. Trump has been criticized for trying to militarize the U.S. response to the protests.

“Think about it as a celebration,” Trump told Fox News in an interview broadcast on Friday, in which he then boasted about the size of his campaign rallies.

In the interview, Trump denied the Juneteenth date for the rally was on purpose.

The Fox interviewer, an African American, later said she was not sure if he was aware of the painful history of Tulsa to black Americans because her questions in the interview, which took place on Thursday, focused on the Juneteenth aspect of the visit.

0 Replies

hightor

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 07:37 am
On the Future, Americans Can Agree: It Doesn’t Look Good

Battered by a health crisis and fury about racial injustice, voters are mourning the past, worried about the present and fearful of what comes next.

Quote:
Brendan Hermanson, 51, a construction worker for three decades, has come through the pandemic healthy and employed. At home in Milwaukee, where he lives with his grown son, he tries to tune out the hostile politics in the country and wonders if he should bother to vote again for President Trump in November or “sit back and watch it crumble.”

In the Philadelphia suburbs, Basil Miles, 27, isn’t as comfortable. He worries about his ability to provide for his pregnant partner and their 3-year-old daughter after he was laid off from his food service job because of the coronavirus. He recently skipped a doctor’s appointment in the city because he feared armed white vigilantes who were threatening black protesters in the area.

“You don’t know what’s going to happen next,” said Mr. Miles, who is black. “There’s still protests, and there’s still stuff getting lit on fire.”

Mr. Miles and Mr. Hermanson are 700 miles apart, leading lives separated by lines of race, age, ideology and income. Yet there’s one opinion they both share: The American experiment is teetering.

“It’s all screwed,” said Mr. Hermanson, who is white. “It seems to me that we’re pretty close to a fall.”

Five months from a crucial presidential election, the usual political debates, campaign events and policy fights have faded into the background for voters battered by a public health crisis, struggling through an economic recession and boiling over with fury over racial inequities. With tens of millions unemployed, more than 110,000 killed by the coronavirus and thousands of people protesting in the streets, Americans see their personal concerns and political choices through a strikingly existential lens — mourning the past, worried about the present and fearful of the future.

In interviews with more than two dozen voters in key political battleground states, Republicans, Democrats and independents of diverse ages, races and social classes expressed worries that their nation had careened off track, with problems no election could easily solve. Fiercely polarized over public health, public safety and, perhaps, truth itself, many people are united only in their collective anxiety.

Mr. Trump has done little to soothe the angst, offering few new policy proposals and plenty of pointed warnings that Democrats would make the country worse. He has offered an incendiary response, invoking “law and order,” promoting conspiracy theories and pushing hard for the nation to reopen despite rising case numbers.

The presumptive Democratic nominee, Joseph R. Biden Jr., has spoken emotionally about those killed by the virus and the death of George Floyd, advocated new police reforms and urged Americans to rise to the challenge of the times. But he has struggled to break though the crush of news and connect with young voters, some of whom desire greater change than the promise of a return to normalcy that has fueled his campaign.

Yara Cabrera, a special-education teacher in Phoenix, blames Mr. Trump for the sometimes chaotic protests, arguing that he stokes racial division and lacks the empathy to help heal the wounds of racism. Ms. Cabrera, a self-identified “strong Democrat” and Latina, also expects that he’ll be re-elected.

Even if she’s wrong, and Mr. Biden wins, Ms. Cabrera, 36, has little hope that the country will turn around.

“I think people are too messed up right now,” she said. “I don’t think it matters who’s president.”

The level of worry and disillusionment marks a unique moment in American public life, according to historians. In the 1930s, Americans faced the hardships of the Great Depression. Thirty years later, the United States hurtled through the tumultuous 1960s, grappling with the politics of the Cold War and the Vietnam War, shocking assassinations and the rise of revolutionary social movements like civil rights and feminism.

Now, Americans are living through the social and economic unrest of both decades simultaneously, along with a historic pandemic. And it’s all filtered through the divisive lens of social media.

“You have a combination of the 1930s and the 1960s, this kind of converging of crises,” said Meena Bose, the director of the Peter S. Kalikow Center for the Study of the American Presidency at Hofstra University. “I’m not sure there is an exact parallel, particularly given the rise of social media and how much easier it is to denigrate and attack than it is to have the kinds of thoughtful, hard conversations that are needed.”

Polling shows the cost of constant crisis on the American psyche. For the past two decades, a majority of Americans have consistently described themselves as optimistic about the country’s future. In April, 61 percent of registered voters said they were largely hopeful about the nation, in a survey by NBC News/The Wall Street Journal.

Eighty percent of voters now believe the country is spiraling out of control, according to a new poll released by the news organizations this week, with a majority both pessimistic that the United States can return to normal before next year and worried that someone in their immediate family could catch the virus.

A third of Americans were showing signs of clinical anxiety or depression at the end of April, according to an emergency weekly survey of American households carried out by the Census Bureau to measure the pandemic’s effects. In early May, half of those surveyed said they felt “down, depressed or hopeless,” double the number who responded that way in a 2014 national survey.

“This is the scariest thing I’ve ever seen in my life,” Erik Widener, 28, the manager of a restaurant in Doylestown, Pa., said on his way to work last week for the first day of the state’s reopening for food-service establishments.

Mr. Widener, who is white, added that “my generation, and maybe the generation before me, we haven’t really faced mentally difficult things to adjust to.”

In the mostly black Germantown section of northwest Philadelphia, Harold Smith, a veteran with a disability, said the series of extraordinary national events had left people feeling unmoored.

“We’re living in a world of uncertainty right now, with the pandemic and the powers that be not having the answers,” said Mr. Smith, 58, who is black. “It’s left people with a mind-set of uncertainty. We need to come up with the cure so that America can get back to being America.”

Jaimie Geddes, a 33-year-old from Doylestown who recently lost her grandmother to the coronavirus, said she was not convinced the country would ever return to its former strength.

“I don’t feel like we have a handle on it,” said Ms. Geddes, who is white. “I don’t feel that we are going to be able to go back to normal life — ever.”

While the majority of Americans feel a sense of unease, their response to the dueling crises of the pandemic and the protests diverges along partisan lines.

Nearly three-quarters of Democrats said it might take the next year or even longer curb the virus and return to work as normal, according to the new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll. Almost a third of Mr. Trump’s strongest supporters within the Republican Party said the virus was already contained.

About half of all Republicans said they were more concerned about the protests than the policing that led to Mr. Floyd’s killing, while 81 percent of Democrats held the opposite opinion.

In downtown Philadelphia, Carmelo Giargiari, 74, a stock market day trader sporting a “Trump 2020” pin in his baseball hat, predicted that the economy would rebound to a stronger position than where it was before the virus shutdown, pointing out that the global death toll in the pandemic so far is dwarfed by that of Spanish flu in 1918.

“A lot of people are overreacting,” Mr. Giargiari, who is white, said as he walked through Rittenhouse Square, a wealthy area. “We’ve been through tough times, and people thought it was the end of the world, but people come through.”

Christian Miranda, a cook at a Milwaukee burger joint, feels far less secure as he prepares to cast his first vote in a presidential election.

The protests in Milwaukee have left Mr. Miranda, who moved from Puerto Rico nine years ago, feeling unsafe, though he strongly disliked Mr. Trump’s labeling of protesters as terrorists and his desire to deploy federal troops to cities. He grades Mr. Trump’s response on the coronavirus as so-so.

But he may still support the president, calling him “ruthless” in a good way.

“I don’t want to be on his side, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend,” Mr. Miranda said. “The enemy is the riots and Covid-19 and whatever else is going on in the government they aren’t telling us.”

A new wave of national polling shows Mr. Biden with a significant lead in the race, placing him in a stronger position to oust an incumbent president than any challenger since Bill Clinton in the summer of 1992. While Mr. Biden’s margins are tighter in key battleground states, he’s consistently ahead in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Recent polling shows him locked in a tight race in states considered more favorable to Republicans, including Ohio, Florida and even Texas, which hasn’t gone to a Democrat since 1976.

Mr. Trump’s standing has fallen even among some demographic groups that helped him to victory four years ago, including voters without college degrees, white men and evangelicals. Much of Mr. Biden’s gains come from cutting into Mr. Trump’s coalition, given that the former vice president has not made substantial gains with nonwhite voters.

Still, after spending four years shocked by Mr. Trump’s victory in 2016, some Democrats remain skeptical that their party could defeat him.

As hundreds of peaceful protesters marched through the streets of downtown Detroit last week, there was a sense of resigned inevitability surrounding Jay Bidden and K.K. Bell, as they drank ice-cold Budweisers and ate pizza on Belle Isle, an island park that was filled with picnickers looking for a respite from the viral outbreak and the civil unrest that have rocked the city.

Both Mr. Bidden and Ms. Bell, who are black, believe that Mr. Trump has stirred up tremendous racial discord and will pound away at Mr. Biden enough to win re-election. They both think their votes won’t make a difference.

“Revelations talks about the end of time, and this may be it,” said Ms. Bell, a caregiver at a rehabilitation center in Dearborn.

In Milwaukee, Mr. Hermanson said that if he does vote in November, it will be for Mr. Trump. Twelve years ago, he supported Barack Obama, but in 2016 he backed Mr. Trump.

The president “speaks like an idiot” and “shoots from the hip” and is “borderline crazy,” but maybe that’s what America needs when all hell is breaking loose, Mr. Hermanson said.

No matter who wins, the task ahead is overwhelming. Emerging intact will involve a player far more powerful than the president, Mr. Hermanson said.

“We need divine intervention,” he said.

nyt

https://i.imgur.com/noNdYGt.png

And don't forget the climate crisis!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Floser-city.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2Fdumpster-fire.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 08:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Only in 'Murica.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 08:07 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You most often manage to convince yourself only, and not others.

When progressives refuse to accept reality, that is a refection on progressives and their delusions, not a reflection on me.

Olivier5 wrote:
Let's take a random example, now that you are a bit more familiar with the concept of verifiable fact.

I was familiar with the concept all along. The definition that I provided is just as valid as the definition that you provided.

Olivier5 wrote:
Can you pick among your posts one that contains a verifiable fact?

You know very well that I can. You've been doing your best to avoid my challenge to do just that.

Olivier5 wrote:
Then we will try to see how anyone could verify it independently. Best to chose something I might object to of course, otherwise it's trivial.

If you had chosen the statement, you could have picked whatever you most objected to. Since you are unwilling to choose for yourself and want me to make the choice for you, I guess we'll just have to deal with what I choose.

I choose this:
"Israel has repeatedly offered to give that land to the Palestinians in exchange for peace."
https://able2know.org/topic/127639-364#post-7021112

And just for context: "That land" means a contiguous economically viable Palestinian state that is composed of nearly all of the West Bank.
Olivier5

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 08:22 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
"Israel has repeatedly offered to give that land to the Palestinians in exchange for peace."
https://able2know.org/topic/127639-364#post-7021112

And just for context: "That land" means a contiguous economically viable Palestinian state that is composed of nearly all of the West Bank.

Fair enough. An offer of peace between the State of Israel and (I suppose) the PLO is something that can be verified, because these offers are publicly made, and proper documentation (mas) would logically be available to verify the extent of West Bank land offered against peace in such offers. Correct?

There's a range of meaning for "repeatedly": "multiple times, over and over again, constantly". How many times exactly do you claim that "Israel offered to give that land to the Palestinians in exchange for peace"? Maybe give an order of magnitude, because the word is a bit vague.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 08:24 am
White nationalist’s lawyer wants out of rally violence case

By MICHAEL KUNZELMANyesterday

https://apnews.com/27e8ff644ddd1604efd3a229e5f21bc2

A leading white nationalist told a judge on Thursday that his notoriety has made it difficult for him to raise money for his defense against a “financially crippling” lawsuit that names him as an organizer of a rally in Virginia that erupted into violence in 2017.

Richard Spencer’s attorney has asked for the court’s permission to withdraw from representing him in the civil case. The lawyer, John DiNucci, said Spencer owes him a significant amount of money in legal fees and hasn’t been cooperating adequately.

Spencer told U.S. Magistrate Judge Joel Hoppe that the lawsuit over the “Unite the Right” white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August 2017 has been “extremely expensive” and a “huge burden” for him.
ADVERTISEMENT

“This case has been financially crippling for a long time,” said Spencer, who popularized the term “alt-right” to describe a loosely connected fringe movement of white supremacists, neo-Nazis and other far-right extremists.

Lawyers for victims of the Charlottesville rally violence sued several far-right extremist groups and individuals who participated in the event, which was organized in part to protest the city’s planned removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. The lawsuit names Spencer as one of the organizers of the Aug. 12, 2017, rally. Spencer was scheduled to speak at the gathering but has denied that he helped organize it.

Spencer said getting banned from mainstream internet platforms has made it difficult for him raise and accept donations from supporters.

“That’s something that I have proven to be able to do in the past, fairly easily to be honest, but it’s something that I cannot do now,” he said. “When I attempt to raise money, there are various groups that make it their life’s mission to get me kicked off the platform.”

Violent street clashes broke out in Charlottesville on Aug 12, 2017, before a man fascinated with Adolf Hitler plowed his car into a crowd of counterprotesters, killing a woman. On the eve of the rally, Spencer and others marched through the University of Virginia’s campus, shouting racist and anti-Semitic slogans.

Spencer has operated an Alexandria, Virginia-based nonprofit called the National Policy Institute, which raised $442,482 in tax-deductible contributions from 2007 through 2012, according to an Associated Press review of IRS tax records. William H. Regnery II, a wealthy publisher, founded the nonprofit in 2005.
ADVERTISEMENT

The lawsuit, backed by civil rights group Integrity First for America, seeks unspecified damages and a judgment that the defendants violated the plaintiffs’ constitutional rights. It is one of several suits filed on behalf of victims of the violence in Charlottesville.

DiNucci said Spencer owes him a “very substantial amount” of money. He said couldn’t present an adequate defense without more cooperation from Spencer.

“I don’t see a way forward,” he said. “I haven’t heard any indication, today or otherwise, that there is some other means by which money will be provided.”

Spencer said he wants to keep DiNucci as a lawyer and will try to raise the money needed to pay him.

The magistrate judge didn’t immediately rule on DiNucci’s request to withdraw from the case. Hoppe gave Spencer one week to demonstrate that he can raise money.

Spencer said it would be “catastrophic” if he is forced to defend himself without a lawyer. Other defendants in the case have opted to defend themselves.

“I would be out of my league, your honor,” Spencer said. “It’s not a question of intelligence. It’s a question of competency.”

Plaintiffs’ attorney Michael Bloch said Spencer has failed to turn over thousands of photos and video files in preparation for the trial scheduled to start on Oct. 26.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 09:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump calls for a ‘new and updated’ GOP platform after party moves to keep its 2016 document

Quote:
President Trump on Friday called on the Republican National Committee to adopt a “new and updated platform” after the party’s executive committee voted this week to keep the current one in place for logistical reasons related to the late move of its high-profile convention events to Jacksonville, Fla.

The decision to readopt the 2016 platform prompted a flurry of media reports Thursday about many instances of language critical of the “current administration” and “the president” that in 2016 was aimed at President Barack Obama — but now could be read as targeting Trump.

“The Republican Party has not yet voted on a Platform,” Trump said in a morning tweet. “No rush. I prefer a new and updated Platform, short form, if possible.”

It was not immediately clear how Trump’s wish would be accomplished. While the RNC is moving Trump’s acceptance speech and other parts of the convention proceedings to Jacksonville, other meetings will still be conducted in Charlotte, the original choice of a convention site, in keeping with party rules and obligations. Part of the rationale for not updating the platform was to avoid having convention delegates travel to Charlotte to do so.

The 2016 platform was critical of Obama and his administration on a wide range of issues, including an increase in the national debt, its frequent issuance of executive orders and an alleged alienation of U.S. allies.

“The current Administration has abandoned America’s friends and rewarded its enemies,” the platform says in just one instance that now could be misinterpreted as criticizing Trump.

The decision to keep the 2016 platform also means that the GOP’s official positions on issues such as same-sex marriage — the party endorsed only “traditional marriages” in the document — will remain the same.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 09:44 am
@Olivier5,
(maPs)
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 10:01 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Only a #VoteGreen is a vote for regular Americans.
Democrats and republicans just protect the suffocating status quo.
https://www.cdn-liker.com/uploads/large_images/5ee2222eb1af1.jpg
[/quote]
Walter Hinteler

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 10:16 am
"I am hard-pressed to identify any significant Trump decision during my tenure that wasn’t driven by reelection calculations," Bolton writes, according the description that Simon & Schuster distributed today.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 10:38 am
@Lash,
A vote for Greens is vote for Trump. I support an easy 80% of the Green platform, I will vote for Biden and get about half of what I want rather than vote Green and get Trump and nothing I want. I am not a Lemming and I believe getting Trump only hurts Green goals.

Being a purist hurts being a Green, that's one reason I don't believe you're Green. Waving your 5% of the vote/federal election funding crapola is bunkum. I don't know a single granola chomping tree-hugger who wouldn't choke on a raisin hearing it explained the way you explain it.

All the Greens I know believe in starting from local elections. And I vote for the occasional Green candidates that come up here in MAGA central knowing the GOP head who generally runs unopposed is going to win anyways. I protest vote only for city and county runs. I am not wasting my vote on Texas state and national votes. Period. I refused to vote for Gore or Bush as a protest non-vote and I regret it to today.
maporsche

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 10:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I vote for greens every time they are on the ballot in Illinois. I've got no problem voting for them in local elections.

But nationally, the presidency, the stakes are too high for too many people to be so foolish with your vote.

Lash lives in South Carolina though; literally no one cares what she does with her vote.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 11:05 am
@maporsche,
Certain provisions of your electoral law mean that small parties are not taken into account when mandates are awarded. The votes they have received are lost. But voters are usually reluctant to give away their votes. They opt for more promising candidates.

With proportional representation, as it is practised here in Germany, the most common reason for not taking votes into account is a blocking clause. Voters will therefore only take this into account when making their election decision.
livinglava

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 11:17 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
I believe getting Trump only hurts Green goals.

Ironically, it's the reverse. By regulating industrialism/consumerism, the Democrats actually make it work more smoothly so it can expand and serve more people in its current form with all the unsustainable standards of living.

Trump's wildcard approach causes investors to be more cautious, which has a trickle-down effect on the rest of the economy/society. It is really a miracle because what was happening before is that the government had become so in sync with the culture of economic investment that anything they would project as a future objective would immediately stimulate lots of stock trading, which would drive markets and pump more money into the economy, where it would be spent on more of the same old unsustainable lifestyle expenditures.

Just take, for example, the Keystone pipeline or fuel economy standards. Biden wants to pull the permit on the pipeline, which will make a great photo op, but will ultimately stimulate investment in the oil tanker industry. Likewise, when fuel-economy standards are set higher, it stimulates more investment because the belief is that the auto-industry will be able to produce cars for everyone to drive without doing too much harm, and so the roads keep filling up, more lanes and highways built, more subdivisions, and reforesting currently-inhabited areas is impossible because there has to be pavement everywhere for all those cars to drive and park.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 12 Jun, 2020 12:22 pm
@maporsche,
I thought she was wasting her vote in North Carolina. Doesn't matter, though, I'd bet she's a registered Republican.
0 Replies