monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 12:34 pm
@coldjoint,
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....oralloy. the nonsense he spouts and the insults he spouts about Trayvon and BLM for example are telling.
MontereyJack

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 12:37 pm
@coldjoint,
Uh you do know you're hiding behind an anonymous screen name yourself don't you.
coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Uh you do know you're hiding behind an anonymous screen name yourself don't you.

And you? You need to think before you post.
MontereyJack

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:27 pm
@coldjoint,
Idid. It wazs in reference to you slagging izzy
for being inthe same boat youre in.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Quote:
blatham wrote:

Dobbs is such a whore. Mind you, he's pocketing $6 million a year from Fox to be one.

Do you see any of the same qualities among the reporters of MSNBC and CNN?

Indeed I do. The money. All of the top TV news people receive that sort of yearly income because that is how TV news has evolved since the networks moved to use news as a celebrity-infested, high drama, horse race focused corporate income-generator rather than carrying it as a public service separate from the rest of their offerings.

There's a lot wrong with this present arrangement and it's a big conversation. But beyond those institutional problems, there is the matter of differences in how individuals and networks operate. You're not going to agree with me that Dobbs, for example, and Chris Hayes, for another, go about their jobs in a much different manner and with very much different consequences for their viewers. Or that Fox is uniquely a propaganda operation. Data to support that which I might seek out or develop won't influence how you view these things so pardon me for not going further on this.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:39 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Not just fox news. Its also on the conservative radio stations in the country.
Yes, I know. Limbaugh demonstrated how lucrative that market is and many have followed his model. The last year I looked at (about five years back) Limbaugh was pulling in $50 million a year while Beck was getting $70 million.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:43 pm
Quote:
A week ago today, Donald Trump said he'd like to see former National Security Advisor John Bolton, among others, testify at his Senate impeachment trial. That, of course, was before the public learned about the contents of Bolton's upcoming book, in which he reportedly says Trump confessed to him about the nature of the illegal extortion scheme with Ukraine.

The president is now saying something quite different, publishing this tirade to Twitter this morning:
Quote:

"For a guy who couldn't get approved for the Ambassador to the U.N. years ago, couldn't get approved for anything since, 'begged' me for a non Senate approved job, which I gave him despite many saying 'Don't do it, sir,' takes the job, mistakenly says 'Libyan Model' on T.V., and many more mistakes of judgement, gets fired because frankly, if I listened to him, we would be in World War Six by now, and goes out and IMMEDIATELY writes a nasty & untrue book. All Classified National Security. Who would do this?"

So let me see if I have this straight. John Bolton, according to the president, was basically an unaccomplished loser, with misguided instincts. The president was advised not to hire him, but he ignored the guidance, felt sorry for the pathetic hawk who struggled to find a real job, and put Bolton in an enormously powerful and influential position.

In the months that followed, Trump proceeded to ignore Bolton's dangerous recommendations -- even while publicly praising his work and leaving him in his position for a year and a half.

Is Trump under the impression that this makes him look good?...
Benen

Edit: I should actually talk about this a bit. How could Trump imagine he could get away with contradicting himself in this manner with only a week between statements? He must believe his audience either won't notice or won't care. He must believe that the bullshit he spreads today will overpower the bullshit he spread a week earlier. But that has always been his mode of operation.
Quote:
He was known to be making shocking deals now that he never could have made two months before. “Trump won’t do a deal unless there’s something extra—a kind of moral larceny—in it,” one of his rivals once said of him.

. . .“Give them the old Trump bullshit,” he told the architect Der Scutt before a presentation of the Trump Tower design at a press conference in 1980. “Tell them it is going to be a million square feet, sixty-eight stories.” “I don’t lie, Donald,” the architect replied.
Link

And he knows that his media allies at Fox will multiply and expand his bullshit and that's important
Quote:
PRRI’s data broke out its responses into a variety of interesting demographics. Among them was dividing the Republican responses by education level (not an atypical grouping) and by news consumption. Although 37 percent of Republicans overall said that almost nothing could dissuade them from approving of Trump, more than half of Republicans whose primary news source is Fox News held that view. By contrast, only about 3 in 10 Republicans whose primary news source is something other than Fox were as solid in their support of Trump. Even Republicans without a college degree, a bastion of Trump’s support in 2016, and white evangelical Protestants were less likely to say that they expected to stick with Trump no matter what.
WP

All of this allows Trump enormous latitude in spreading falsehoods and in contradicting himself without most of his base noticing or giving a damn. In fact, not only will most of his base excuse or justify such blatant lying, they will deem it all further evidence that his behavior is heroic.

Trump does have a super power - he's a sociopath.
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:53 pm
White House seeks to block publication of Bolton's book, demands classified info be removed first

Quote:
Cooper had submitted Bolton's manuscript to the NSC last month for a routine security review "notwithstanding our firm belief that the manuscript contained no information that could reasonably be considered classified."

The release of the White House response, obtained by NBC News, comes as Trump is publicly bashing Bolton over his reported claims. Earlier Wednesday, Trump asked: "Why didn't John Bolton complain about this 'nonsense' a long time ago, when he was very publicly terminated."

So only now the WH is seeking to block the book from coming out even though they have had a copy of this for a month? I suppose the book being leaked to the NYT has nothing to do with it? Nor does the fall out from it with renewed calls for witnesses?

Why do you any of you Trump defenders believe this WH at all? I honestly don't get it. It passes all bounds of partisanship and borders on weird devotion to Trump over all other concerns including just being credited with any sort of credence.

If the Senate doesn't call for Bolton to testify now, our country will look at as no better than many other autocratic countries with kangaroo courts.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 02:07 pm
@revelette3,
I don't know if/why Trump is under the impression that this makes him look good (from Bernie's link).
But I really wonder that even the fact that the White House seeks to block the publication of Bolton's book, even this does not make Trump supporters wondering (or lets them start thinking).
izzythepush

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 02:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The only impression I get is that it's brown trousers time in the Whitehouse.
blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 02:35 pm
Quote:
ABC News
@ABC
· 1h
Trump attorney Alan Dershowitz: "If a president does something which he believes will help him get elected in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment." https://abcn.ws/2S37weJ

"Fellow citizens. You know I love you. You know I'm a great leader, perhaps the greatest leader ever. You believe in me because I believe in me. You know that every waking moment I am working my knuckles to the bone for you. Everything I do is for you. So that I can win the next election against our evil opponents and continue to serve you, I have just given one half of our nuclear capabilities to Russia in exchange for 20 billion dollars donated to my re-election campaign"
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 02:36 pm
@izzythepush,
You can't be impeached for acting in the public interest — and Trump thinks his presidency is in the public interest.

Trump’s impeachment team offers the Trumpiest possible argument in his defense
Quote:
On Wednesday, the impeachment trial of President Trump moved to a new phase in the Senate. After hearing hours of presentations in which the House impeachment managers argued for the removal of Trump from office and his own legal team rebutted those charges, senators were at last granted the ability to ask questions directly to either side.

Over the course of two responses to those questions, Trump’s legal team made a remarkable claim. First, that if an action includes any element of public interest, it can’t be impeachable under the terms set by the House. And, second, if Trump thinks that his own reelection is in the public interest — which he certainly does — that’s a valid claim.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 02:50 pm
@blatham,
Dershowitz obviously has been following this thread and took my advice:
I wrote:
By accepting the legitimacy of the investigation and then showing why Trump actually has the constitutional power to fight corruption overseas and employ foreign governments at will to weaken domestic political opposition he'll be well on his way to getting the 22nd Amendment repealed so he can rule forever!

https://able2know.org/topic/468987-669#post-6953488

I wrote:
This is why I suggested that it might be wiser for Trump's defenders to argue the case for an imperial presidency. That way he'd be perfectly justified in using the power of his office to maintain political power at home by requesting aid from a foreign country.

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-3999#post-6953667
blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 03:16 pm
I was just in a meeting with the head people at Marvel. I made a pitch and it went very well.

Me: Gentlemen. Regardless of the incredible work you all have done in refurbishing old characters and creating new and exciting ones, you've missed a great opportunity. There's a character so perfect for you and so obvious that you'll probably have an actual orgasm when I point it out. Donald Trump

(sound of a bottle of Bunnahabhain scotch as it's knocked over on a silver tray)

Head Exec: You know, thinking about it, we could do a LOT with that hair. Hmmm. And with that asteroid-sized midriff. Damn. And that face! The orange rubbery mix of dollar-store-beatitude, the genuine malevolence and the 12 year old pervert! That's really, really good. But look fella. Our characters have to have a super-power. So what's Trump's super-power?

Me: He's a sociopath

Exec: Perfect! This. One. Is. A. Winner for Marvel! Dixie Lee. Get your pretty little ass over to steno right away. Get the papers done yesterday. I want a signature from this unknown genius before someone else catches him. Now, let's go have lunch.

(as we're rising from our chairs) You know, this character is going to stand out from all the rest. This guy isn't fiction. What a great story!

Me: Could I meet Scarlett Johanson?

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 03:20 pm
@hightor,
Elegant in reasoning.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 03:33 pm
@blatham,
Can I share that with a friend?????
coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
even this does not make Trump supporters wondering (or lets them start thinking).

You should work for CNN. Please do not tell me about the first German cable channel. Trump supporters understand Bolton is not the president. The president makes foreign policy.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:38 pm

Quote:
@marklevinshow

2.And this is an interview with John Bolton describing the president's conversations w/ the president of Ukraine as warm & cordial in Aug 2019.If he thought at the time that the president was stiff-arming the Ukrainians, he had a funny way of showing it
10:44 AM - Jan 29, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Video at link.
https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/uh-oh-heres-video-of-john-bolton-saying-trumps-call-with-ukraine-was-warm-and-cordial/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:44 pm
Quote:
White House Told Bolton His Book Contains 'TOP SECRET' Information - 3 Days Before NYT Leak

No conspiracy here.
Quote:
Notably, the letter, sent from the National Security Counsel to Bolton's attorneys, was sent three days before the manuscript mysteriously leaked to the New York Times on the eve of the Senate impeachment proceedings - sparking a debate over calling Bolton as a witness in the trial.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/white-house-told-bolton-his-book-contains-top-secret-information-3-days-nyt-leak
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 04:49 pm
Quote:
Chuck Schumer Just Lost a Key GOP Swing Vote On Witnesses

Quote:
This is surprising because Gardner is up for a hard re-election fight this year. There were rumblings that he’d vote for witnesses, even if the vote failed, so he could save face on the issue in a state that’s increasingly choosing to make itself California’s mini-me. But nope, he’s standing firm and using common sense. There’s no reason to hear from a witness that we already know has nothing impeachable to offer.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2020/01/29/chuck-schumer-just-lost-a-major-gop-swing-vote-on-witnesses/
0 Replies