monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 10:30 am

'This Will Be the Biggest Loss of Clean Water Protection the Country Has Ever Seen': Trump Finalizes Clean Water Rule Replacement
revelette3

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 10:55 am
@snood,
I am waiting to hear (or read as the case is) what George and other's reaction to Bolton's book will be. I am wondering how they are going to spin Bolton, a long-time conservative Republican who wasn't a "never Trumper", nor a civil servant as in deep state...and so on. Do you think it will fly, "he is just wanting to sell a new book? Is it enough for them to hang their hats? Do they have no conscience at all?

They would do better to say there is nothing wrong with a President pressuring a country to investigate his political rivals in both and present elections. By now, everyone knows Trump did it. It only remains to decide if they want future presidents to get away with such actions. To say our country is up for sale for any country willing to help dig up dirt, real or contrived, on political rivals and it is all perfectly normal and we should just get over it. "
revelette3

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 11:11 am
@hightor,
I don't know what to say, more typical Trump Obama envy carried to extremes (undoing protection since the 70's apparently) which we will have to pay for with cancerous pesticides in our waters and other horrible things.

I personally knew a guy who had a run-in with the EPA over his wetlands. His land is on old coal mining land which had been reclaimed and it ended up being a swamp. He wanted to get rid of it but the EPA stopped him; they claimed it was wetlands. He must have won some part of it, but it didn't do him any good, it still floods every time there is heavy rain and with some of the vegetation cleared out, the water gets on the roads. He was a crazy guy anyway, he carried a gun in his car, I saw it personally, he talked about the EPA and why he carried the gun. He scared me. (during my three year divorce years). Now just lately, there has been some kind of incident involving him with his son getting shot. I don't know the particulars, but I am not surprised in the least. Not that all those who have land issues with the EPA are like that guy, just recounting something for no particular reason. The population of my county is not huge, to say the least, but, it has always been interesting with colourful characters.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 11:13 am
@revelette3,
The Republican “defense” amounts to not much more than word soup. They throw in a few lying phrases, to keep the base happy, like “there has been no due process”, “ the democrats are trying to overturn the 2016 election “, “Bolton is just lying to sell his book”,etc. But since they cannot refute the fact of what Bolton is saying - that Trump told him that he wanted to withhold the military aid to Ukraine until they produced an investigation on the Bidens - word soup is their only option.

Unless of course they agree to let Bolton testify - that’s also an option. But I wouldn’t hold my breath.
hightor

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 11:18 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
I am waiting to hear (or read as the case is) what George and other's reaction to Bolton's book will be.

This is why I suggested that it might be wiser for Trump's defenders to argue the case for an imperial presidency. That way he'd be perfectly justified in using the power of his office to maintain political power at home by requesting aid from a foreign country. georgeob said I was being "snide", but I was only trying to help the Trump defense.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 12:35 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Unless of course they agree to let Bolton testify

Not their job. It was the job of the House. They did not do it. Democrats need to follow the law, not manipulate it.
MontereyJack

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 12:51 pm
@coldjoint,
The house was akin to a grand jury. There was more than enough evidence to justify a case so they did. Trump sat on most of the evidence which made a full fair trial impossible. The senate is the trial and trials depend on full evidence. Exec privilege is designed to keep confidential sensitivediscussions so the participantscan tslk free!y. Its not designed to keepcrimessecret which is what trump is using it for. Just more evidence hes guilty
farmerman

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:00 pm
@MontereyJack,
So the president is above the law? Im glad that got resolved at lest.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
The legal term for it is 'crown immunity': "The King's (President's) person is sacred; he cannot be censured or accused."
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:13 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I'm guessing that they are convinced that not even four GOP Senators will have enough integrity and honesty to go against leadership's wishes. And they probably have very good reason to believe that so.

Progressives' tendency to equate "integrity and honor" with "participation in their witch hunts" is pretty silly.
oralloy

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:16 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
There was more than enough evidence to justify a case so they did.

If they think they have enough evidence, then they don't need any more evidence.

MontereyJack wrote:
Trump sat on most of the evidence which made a full fair trial impossible.

Hardly. The Democrats could have pressed their case in court to compel witnesses to testify before the House.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
"The House should have asked Bolton to testify but they didn't" is the Trump claim.

Here's the letter House Dems sent to Bolton's lawyers
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPTNJFoWsAA5-PB?format=png&name=small

Not that Trump's legal team would just, you know, lie about stuff.

No lies here. The Democrats could have tried to get the courts to rule that Mr. Bolton had to testify.

The Democrats chose not to bother with that and go ahead with impeachment without his testimony.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:18 pm
@oralloy,
Calling a search for the truth a witch hunt is what is silly.
oralloy

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
The Democrats are not searching for any truths. They are just abusing the law to try to harm people who disagree with them.
oralloy

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:21 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
I am waiting to hear (or read as the case is) what George and other's reaction to Bolton's book will be.

I have no reaction.

I think Mr. Bolton would make a wonderful Secretary of State, or even President. But that is a long-standing view and is not a reaction to the book.

revelette3 wrote:
They would do better to say there is nothing wrong with a President pressuring a country to investigate his political rivals in both and present elections. By now, everyone knows Trump did it. It only remains to decide if they want future presidents to get away with such actions. To say our country is up for sale for any country willing to help dig up dirt, real or contrived, on political rivals and it is all perfectly normal and we should just get over it."

That's what I've already been saying for quite some time now.

If it is OK for Democrats to do it, then it is also OK for Republicans to do it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:23 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
The Republican "defense" amounts to not much more than word soup. They throw in a few lying phrases, to keep the base happy, like "there has been no due process", " the democrats are trying to overturn the 2016 election ", "Bolton is just lying to sell his book",etc. But since they cannot refute the fact of what Bolton is saying - that Trump told him that he wanted to withhold the military aid to Ukraine until they produced an investigation on the Bidens - word soup is their only option.
Unless of course they agree to let Bolton testify - that's also an option. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

They could simply choose to point out that as long as it is OK for Democrats to do it, then it is also OK for Republicans to do it.
oralloy

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:25 pm
@hightor,

That's a shame.

But what's important here is the fact that progressives are out to violate our civil liberties for fun.

Mr. Trump protects America from progressives.

All this other stuff is not nearly as important as being protected from progressives.
MontereyJack

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:32 pm
@oralloy,
What a loon.
MontereyJack

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:34 pm
@oralloy,
The dems didnt do it.
revelette3

Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:34 pm
Quote:
Two Republican senators said Monday that new revelations from John Bolton bolstered their case for summoning witnesses in President Trump’s impeachment trial, as fresh allegations from the former White House official left Senate Republicans scrambling as they faced renewed pressure to seek new evidence.

WP
0 Replies