monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 07:52 am
Quote:
Fox News and Trump's defense team: Twin arms of the same propaganda outfit

Trump's team isn't focused on a legal defense of their client so much as creating viral content for Fox News

In her 30-minute presentation Monday, former Florida attorney general Pam Bondi dug into the repeatedly debunked conspiracy theory that Joe Biden got a Ukrainian prosecutor fired in order to stop investigations into Burisma, the Ukrainian energy company that employed Hunter Biden as a board member. Another Trump attorney, Eric Herschmann, also went on at length about the Bidens and Burisma.

By legal standards, this was an odd choice. The accusations of corruption against the Bidens have been debunked, over and over and over and over. Moreover, the entire reason Trump is getting impeached is because he tried to blackmail Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky into backing these false accusations, something Zelensky clearly didn't want to do, likely because he knew they were false.

Instead of defending their client, in other words, Trump's attorneys were perpetuating the very scheme that got their client into legal trouble to begin with.

This bizarre gambit makes more sense, however, if one understands what Trump's team is actually doing. They're not there to mount a legal defense of their client, who everyone knows is guilty anyway. What they're doing is producing content for Fox News...
Salon

If you imagine the above argument to be false, there is a very high certainty that you watch Fox.
revelette3

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 08:37 am
@blatham,
Unfortunately, it works; I hear it all the time around here. It amounts to a false "whataboutism" defence.
blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 08:53 am
I've written previously on what a liar is trying to accomplish when telling falsehoods. It doesn't matter if it is a child, a criminal defendant, a crooked lawyer, a tobacco executive or a corrupt politician. Always - that is, always - the goal is to deceive others as to what is real. Thus it is to make others more stupid. Whether it is an unserious matter or a very serious and consequential matter, the mechanism and goal is always the same.

So, what happens when a national political figure or a political party or movement sets out to use purposeful deceits to further that individual's or party's or movement's goals? How dangerous can this be? What other related consequences follow for that nation?

The following piece by John Stoehr, lecturer in Political Science at Yale, addresses these points along with their relationship to a prime goal of psychological "warfare" - to sap the morale of some opponent or the opponents followers or even the citizens of a nation broadly through fostering confusion. I'm going to post it all. There is little of greater importance than this presently, I believe.

Quote:
Systemic GOP Lies Injure America
We need to talk about how their lies make us feel crazy.

The Republicans, as they say, told on themselves Monday. Well, Joni Ernst did.

The Iowa senator, who’s up for reelection, explained without meaning to the Senate’s impeachment trial is now a concerted effort to do what the Ukrainians wouldn’t: create a fake rationale for a fake investigation into fake corruption by Joe Biden.

“Iowa caucuses, folks, Iowa caucuses are this next Monday evening,” Ernst told reporters in the Capitol. “And I’m really interested to see how this discussion today informs and influences the Iowa caucus voters, those Democratic caucus-goers. Will they be supporting Vice President Biden at this point? Not certain about that.”

Lies, in other words, don’t just deceive.

“This discussion today” came courtesy of the president’s attorneys, who didn’t bother defending their client so much as put the former vice president on trial. Senators saw, perhaps for the first time, an edited video in which Joe Biden says he threatened to hold up a billion-dollar loan to force Ukraine to get rid of its prosecutor-general.

Missing from the clip, however, is the fact that Biden threatened to hold up the loan to goose Ukraine into get rid of a corrupt senior government official who was too soft on corruption related to the natural gas firm his own son worked for, Burisma. Missing is the fact that Biden wasn’t working for himself, or his son, but for the United States government, the European Union and anti-corruption agencies around the world. Missing is the fact that “corruption” in Ukraine is a byword for being in Russian pay.

(You can watch the full video here.)

Such context, however, undermines the GOP’s bid to smear Biden. Here’s Ted Cruz:
Quote:
We just saw video, I'd encourage every news outlet here to show it, of Joe Biden bragging how he told the president of Ukraine that he was gonna cut off a billion dollars, gonna cut off a billion dollars in foreign aid to Ukraine unless they fired the prosecutor. And in Joe Biden's own words, “Son of a bitch, they fired the guy.”

The legal issue before this Senate is whether a president has the authority to investigate corruption. The House managers built their entire case on the proposition that investigating Burisma corruption, that investigating the Bidens for corruption was baseless and a sham. ... That proposition is absurd.

What’s Cruz is saying is absurd. It’s a fire hose of lies.

But it’s more than that. It’s malevolence.

He’s trying to hurt us.

The conventional wisdom among liberal critics, myself included, is that the president and his confederates are trying to convince everyone that everyone else is as amoral as Trump is. MSNBC’s Chris Hayes said, while watching the Senate trial that, “This is the core of Trumpism: this nihilistic cynicism and projection that everyone is equally corrupt, everyone acts like Trump.” I made that case myself last week in “A GOP Ensnared in ‘the Russian Story.’” I think we need to go a step further, however.

Think about it. The president’s defense yesterday was rooted in a Kremlin lie—that it wasn’t the Russians that attacked our sovereignty in 2016 but instead the Ukrainians, and that it wasn’t Donald Trump who corrupted the will of the people but instead Joe Biden, who was in league with foreign agents in a conspiracy to elect Hillary Clinton.

Up is down, right is left, wrong is right. Everything is upside down and backward.

That’s why Chris Hayes later on added: “The aggressive disingenuousness really starts to strain one's sanity.” To which Josh Marshall, the editor of Talking Points Memo, replied: “It really does. I’ve had a number of times when I just have to tune out. Listening to people lie from a position of power becomes enervating over time.”

Hayes and Marshall are a political junkie’s political junkie, but even they shrink away from engagement when lies pile up faster than fact-checkers can keep pace. Why aren’t we talking more often about how a malicious system of lies makes us feel? Who benefits when even political junkies turn away from things making them feel insane?

Lying is one thing. Systemic lying is another. There’s more at work here.

Moral philosopher Harry Frankfurt once wrote, in his book 2006 On Truth, that lies “are designed to prevent us from being in touch with what is really going on. In telling his lie, the liar tries to mislead us into believing that the facts are other than they actually are. He tries to impose his will on us” (all italics mine). “Lies are designed to damage our grasp of reality. So they are intended, in a very real sense, to make us crazy.”

Lies, in other words, don’t just deceive.

They injure.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 08:57 am
@revelette3,
I know. But let's arm ourselves with understanding.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 09:04 am
Some other important headlines from John Stoer

Quote:
Report points to Trump, ‘-1,’ as the ringleader of a global conspiracy

Quote:
What if Donald Trump is just as Christian as those conservative Evangelicals are?

Quote:
Conservative evangelicals aren’t hypocrites — they’re sadists

Quote:
White conservatives envy African-Americans’ deep patriotism, lash out at their history

Quote:
Trump timed the Suleimani assassination for maximal impact before his Senate trial begins

Dude suffers from a serious case of Trump Derangement Syndrome. That blatham would "attend" to this crazy mofo says more about blatham than Stoer ever could about Trump.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 09:07 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Progressives disrespect everyone who doesn't agree with their ideology.

If you think I'm a "progressive" it might interest you to know that I respect many people who have political views differing from my own, including some A2K members, georgeob1 and Finn among them.
Quote:
But progressives speak only for themselves.

Yeah, whatever.

EDIT: And, on a good day, McG (when he doesn't resort to potty-talk.)
McGentrix

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 09:08 am
@hightor,
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 09:26 am
@hightor,
Quote:
If you think I'm a "progressive" it might interest you to know that I respect many people who have political views differing from my own, including some A2K members, georgeob1 and Finn among them.

I suspect he won't be much interested to know that.

In my case, I'd be quite willing to wager that I paste in more conservatives' opinion in any given week than any conservatives posting here. I have a number of them on ignore so I may have missed some but that seems unlikely given why I have them on ignore.
blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 10:37 am
Rather funny, this
Quote:
In the Trump world, it’s hard to keep up with who the President’s latest enemy is, even for his staunchest defenders. And the uprising against John Bolton this week has been no different.

During an episode of his show earlier this week, Fox Business Network’s Lou Dobbs went after Bolton, the former national security adviser and ex-Fox News contributor whose new book reportedly ties President Trump directly to the Ukraine aid pressure scheme cooked up by Rudy Giuliani. Dobbs made the befuddling claim that because Bolton used the same literary agent as James Comey — now a nearly retro object of Trump’s ire — he’s involved in some underground effort to destroy the President.

One of the literary agents who works with Javelin, which is publishing Bolton’s book, was quick to point out on Twitter that Dobbs himself used Javelin for his own book...
TPM
revelette3

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 10:41 am
@blatham,
Quote:
One of the literary agents who works with Javelin, which is publishing Bolton’s book, was quick to point out on Twitter that Dobbs himself used Javelin for his own book...

Smile
revelette3

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 10:45 am
NPR seeks answers from State Department over reporter removed from Pompeo trip
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 10:47 am
@revelette3,
Dobbs is such a whore. Mind you, he's pocketing $6 million a year from Fox to be one.
snood

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 11:42 am
At his rally yesterday Trump said his administration has added over 12,000 new factories, and more are being built.

That works out to about 240 new factories per state.

What are they, invisible?

The lying is made bolder and bolder because his followers just shrug and excuse it.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 11:47 am
@blatham,
Quote:
blatham wrote:

Dobbs is such a whore. Mind you, he's pocketing $6 million a year from Fox to be one.

Do you see any of the same qualities among the reporters of MSNBC and CNN?

coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 11:54 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Trayvon. Do you chase young men in the dark?

What kind of question is that? Another weak attempt at an insult? You do not do very many things well and this is just another example of that.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 11:57 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It's his only chance in engaging in anything approaching a conversation.

You remind me of someone who yells insults and threats from the back of a crowd, hidden and afraid to show his face. No reason to pay attention to that kind of a coward.
MontereyJack

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 12:03 pm
@coldjoint,
The trial corroborsted what i said. If orallo y keeps propounding the racist garbage ill keep calling him on it. If tou want to stfu feel free. The two jurors who are on record thought the thug zimmerman got away with murder. They know far more than you do.
coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 12:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
Oralloy is not racist. Facts are not racist.
RABEL222

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 12:20 pm
@blatham,
Not just fox news. Its also on the conservative radio stations in the country. I am still trying to find those liberal stations all the conservative people claim are out here. While looking all I heard was Biden used his influence to get his son a job. Not one word about the presidents kids getting jobs that they can use to make money.
coldjoint

Wed 29 Jan, 2020 12:25 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Not one word about the presidents kids getting jobs

Wrong, Clinton's kid made 9 million dollars with do nothing jobs.
Quote:
All of this has racked up to what the New York Post reported back in 2015 was an estimated net worth of $15 million for the then-34-year-old. More recently, Barron’s, the finance newspaper, revealed that Chelsea Clinton has now reaped $9 million from a corporate board position. In 2011, while her mother was still secretary of state, she was appointed to IAC/Interactive, an Internet investment company. She receives an annual $50,000 retainer and $250,000 worth of restricted IAC stock units, according to Barron’s.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/8/chelsea-clintons-dubious-earnings/
How about vice presidents?
Quote:
Ashley Biden organization received $166K federal grant while father was vice president

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/ashley-biden-organization-received-166k-federal-grant-while-father-was-vice-president
0 Replies