monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 07:59 am
@engineer,
Accepting bribes is an impeachable offense, as that harms the proper functioning of the government.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:02 am
@engineer,
I'd thought that an ambassador is representing the sending state in the receiving state.
oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The President is the sending state.
blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:05 am
From a CSPAN video of Lindsey Graham during the Clinton impeachment
Quote:
"Please give us a chance to present our case in a persuasive fashion because, unlike the House, everything is in dispute here. It is totally a different ballgame here. That's why we need witnesses, ladies and gentlemen."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:08 am
@oralloy,
If you are serious, you certainly have a source
Brand X

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:09 am
Matt Stoller

Verified account

@matthewstoller
10h10 hours ago
More
The impeachment saga, like every other panicky nonsense that doesn't touch real money or power, is not about going after Trump. It's about disciplining wayward Democrats who don't share the collective delusion that everything was fine until Trump showed up.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:09 am
I'm not sure if anyone here has even mentioned the long, long overdue historical landmark of Virginia becoming the 38th state to ratify the ERA.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:10 am
According to agencies, the police in Ukraine have opened a criminal investigation into whether allies of President Trump had the United States ambassador to the country under surveillance while she was stationed in Kyiv, the Ukrainian government said today.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:21 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone here has even mentioned the long, long overdue historical landmark of Virginia becoming the 38th state to ratify the ERA.

https://able2know.org/topic/519241-1

You've failed to account for the fact that a number of states have withdrawn their ratification.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
If you are serious, you certainly have a source

Article. II.
Section. 1.
"The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America."

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_executive_theory
tsarstepan

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:36 am
@oralloy,

In all the time, Trump wanted Ukraine to investigate Biden and son? A Beautiful irony that Ukraine is now investigating Trump.
Ukraine Investigates Reports of Illegal Surveillance of U.S. Ambassador
Quote:
The police in Ukraine have opened a criminal investigation into whether allies of President Trump had the United States ambassador to the country under surveillance while she was stationed in Kyiv, the Ukrainian government said on Thursday.
blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:58 am
A prudent note of caution from emptywheel
Quote:
emptywheel
@emptywheel
The easiest way to get a Dem to embrace disinformation is to say what they want to hear abt who is implicated in very real Russian scandal.

That's what Parnas did tonight.

Stop wanting the things you most want to be true to be true.
engineer

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:01 am
@blatham,
That thought went through my head as well. Parnas is in trouble, his lawyer is already pushing for immunity for testimony. That doesn't make his statements false, but it mars his credibility.
blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:04 am
Quote:
Manu Raju
@mkraju
Sen. Martha McSally, a Republican facing a difficult election race, lashed out when I asked if she would consider new evidence as part of the Senate trial. “You’re a liberal hack - I’m not talking to you. You’re a liberal hack.” She then walked into a hearing room.

They are all Mini Trumps now.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:08 am
@engineer,
Yes. But on the other side of the argument, what he's saying matches the evidence already revealed. Little, if anything he's saying, appears to contradict that evidence.

I guess we have to go to the trouble of keeping both possibilities in mind while watching out for our own confirmation bias.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:24 am
Quote:
Andrew Desiderio
@AndrewDesiderio
BREAKING: Gov’t Accountability Office has concluded that the White House budget office violated the Impoundment Control Act by freezing U.S. military aid to Ukraine.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:24 am
@oralloy,
I didn't discuss or question the excetuve powers of the US President (not that of any other head of state/government elsewhere).

My idea is an ambassador is representing the sending state in the receiving state. That's done by all our ambassadors ... and all ambassadors here (including the US Ambassador) when presenting the credentials.

oralloy wrote:

The President is the sending state.

How did others get their informations, e.g. as written in the U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual ?
oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm not sure what you are asking me. What others? What informations?
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:31 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Ukraine is now investigating Trump

Do they still expect Mr. Trump to keep sending them military aid?
blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 09:40 am
By the way, the Koch crowd have revealed they will be increasing funding towards the next election (federal and state contests) by a factor of two or three times their investment last cycle.