Wait?! We're only one state away from getting the Equal Rights Amendment passed?

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:52 am
Equal Rights Amendment

https://i.imgur.com/7C3e99I.jpg

So? Which one of these states could be on the right side of history by finally ratifying the amendment? Keeping in mind that we also will need Congress to retroactively change the initial 1979 expiration date initially established for the states to turn the ERA into an actual active constitutional amendment.
•Alabama
•Arizona
•Arkansas
•Florida
•Georgia
•Louisiana
•Mississippi
•Missouri
•North Carolina
•Oklahoma
•South Carolina
•Utah
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,581 • Replies: 13
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 02:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Arizona and Florida would be the only hope there and no way Congress extends the deadline, but it's an interesting thought exercise.
BillRM

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 06:25 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Arizona and Florida would be the only hope there and no way Congress extends the deadline, but it's an interesting thought exercise.

You do know that the female voters are roughly 52 percents of all voters?

Given that little fact along with Republican officer holders seem willing to do anything to remain in office the deadline would be extends if the states vote for it in enough numbers to get it pass otherwise.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 06:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Actually the ERA is great for men's rights (particularly father's rights) as well as woman's rights.

Quote:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.[3][4]

This protects men as much as it protects women.

It means that custody decisions will be made without being influenced by gender stereotypes. Currently in some states, custody is award to the mother 90% of the time. Under the ERA this would be equal.

It also means that women will be part of any military draft.

And maternity leave will now officially be parental leave and will be open for fathers.

I strongly support the ERA, and I am suppose to be a a hateful misogynist.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 07:44 am
@maxdancona,
Fair take. Thanks for the fresh and thoughtful post.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 08:00 am
@BillRM,
Republicans don't have to vote against the extension, they just don't have to take it up and Republican office holders haven't been too adverse to ignoring women, minority and LGBT voters in the past so I doubt this will be any different.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 08:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Actually the ERA is great for men's rights (particularly father's rights) as well as woman's rights.

Also minority and LGBT rights. I remember a friend in high school saying she was against the ERA because it would protect homosexuals. Those were the types of arguments being used against the ERA back then.

Also, five states on the original post voted to rescind their approval, so we are really six states away unless a court rules votes to rescind are not valid and with our current Supreme Court, I doubt that would happen.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/79BC/production/_101846113_us_equal_rights_map_640-nc.png
maxdancona

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 08:59 am
@engineer,
I support men's rights, woman's rights and LGBT rights.

I am odd that way.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 09:31 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/79BC/production/_101846113_us_equal_rights_map_640-nc.png

Jon Oliver needs to address this error of omission (?)/overlooked details (?) regarding his previous show/statement. It is kind of important.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 11:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Virginia May Ratify The Equal Rights Amendment. What Would Come Next Is Murky
Quote:
The ERA nearly passed there last year. The then-Republican-controlled Senate approved the amendment with solid Democratic support, but it was one vote shy of getting a floor vote in the Republican-led House. November's elections then swept Democrats into control of both the House and Senate.

If lawmakers pass the ERA this session, Virginia would become the 38th state to ratify it, and an amendment needs 38 states to be fully ratified and added to the U.S. Constitution.

Quote:
The main text of the Equal Right Amendment being considered right now is pretty simple: "Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex."

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 02:26 pm
Seems odd that Colorado hasn't ratified that yet. It's right up their ally these days.
engineer

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 02:29 pm
@McGentrix,
Colorado is in green (ratified) on the map. Have you seen something else? Anyway, the deadline has passed. Not sure what argument you can make that says the deadline really doesn't count.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 02:32 pm
@engineer,
my bad. Utah... nevermind.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:18 pm
House Votes To Revive Equal Rights Amendment, Removing Ratification Deadline
Quote:
The U.S. House has voted to remove the deadline on ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment in an attempt to revive the amendment. The 232-183 vote fell largely along party lines with five Republicans supporting the measure and zero Democrats opposing it.

Changing the deadline is a key part of one route that some ERA proponents believe would lead to the amendment becoming a part of the Constitution, but the path forward is uncertain.

The proposed amendment says simply, "Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex," and it has had a renaissance in recent years, with three states ratifying it since 2017.
0 Replies