monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 12:31 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16174824_10155759125893312_1400140020888390054_n.jpg?oh=4edaac897e3d2f98c1d5f1794b51087c&oe=594BAE61

Finally, some TRUTH!

That's funny.
ossobucotemp

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 12:53 pm
@hightor,
Sardonicism* reaches a new high, or hi. Did I mention I'm very glad you are posting here, hightor?

*I made up a new word. Maybe sardonicity would be better. I'm probably a sardonophile myself.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I doubt any of the "hard-core" Trump supporters were present during the discussions that led to the decision as to which nations to singled out so what are you actually asking?

I don't think I fit the definition of "hard-core" Trump supporter but perhaps you'll allow me to speculate and opine base on what I have thus far read and heard.

1) It's not a Muslim ban. You'll notice Indonesia and about 30 or so other predominantly Muslim nations aren't on the list either.

2) The seven nations involved were all described by Obama Administration officials as "hotbeds of terrorist activity." I don't have 100% faith in the US Intelligence Community but I doubt they were far off the mark on their assessment, and repeated it, to one extent or the other, to Trump and his advisers. Saudi Arabia and Egypt, while hardly the average Christian American's home away from home, were not included on their list.

3) Part of the problem with vetting refugees or anyone trying to immigrate to the US is the absence, in some nations, of 21st Century databases which US authorities can access, either with or without the permission of their owners. Not the case with Saudi Arabia and Egypt

4) While I wouldn't consider either country to be a bosom buddy of the US, their interests are in many ways aligned with ours and their leaders cooperate with ours in terms of intelligence gathering. It's a shadowy world and I wouldn't be surprised if there are double crosses going on all the time, but US relations with these nations are much more valuable than those we have with any of the 7, EO included countries (including Iraq. Trump didn't inherit the GOP's sense of responsibility for the place from W.

I thought you guys liked leaders who look at the big picture and don't apply a one size fits all approach to the world or are motivated by overly broad scoped crusades. You know, sophisticated and nuanced guys, not cowboys like W.

5) I suppose it's possible that the fact that Trump's organization has business interests in these countries might have something to do with it, but this seems the least likely of all reasons. I don't believe the Trump Empire will rise and fall on whatever projects he may have in these countries, and I suspect that at this point in his presidency, at least, success with his agenda is more important to him than a few more dollars in the Trump coffers.

Frugal1

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:15 pm
Affordable Care Act must be repealed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Some people still live in alternative reality. 18 billion? Where did they learn math?
The world population is less than 8 billion.
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
McGentrix

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Response moderated: Post quoted a response that violated the A2K rules. See more info.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know, re his country choices. I read sometime recently that the distinction was about not naming countries he had business relations of some kind in, but I'm not so avid that I memorize the news I read.

Re it being about muslims in particular, Guiliani seems to have advised Trump based on his advice asking. Or, was that reportage off base?

I think I'm watching a circus.
0 Replies

blatham

@cicerone imposter,
Any chance we can lay off the personal insults?
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:33 pm
@blatham,
You can challenge my posts all day long, but you'll just waste your time. This is a free speech country. When I see stupid, I'm going to challenge it.
ehBeth

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It was a bit of humour.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You can challenge my posts all day long, but you'll just waste your time. This is a free speech country. When I see stupid, I'm going to challenge it.

Look at this link and let us know if it should be challenged.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

When I see stupid, I'm going to challenge it.

The mirrors in your crib best hide, eh, Al?
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Frugal's link is a letter to the editor.

Catch this:
Quote:
How many of those [ACA customers] would qualify for medicare/medicaid

If you qualify for Medicare, it is illegal for someone to sell you a non-Medicare policy. The letter writer Frugal quoted has no knowledge of Medicare, ACA or anything else. It's a propaganda letter, full of untruths.
Sturgis

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:36 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Any chance we can lay off the personal insults?

What, and change the (not so) thriving nature of this (and other) political discussions here?
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:42 pm
@Blickers,
Tangent.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:01 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
The CBO’s estimate of 20 million people being helped by the exchange is inflated. How many of those would qualify for medicare/medicaid?

What should be pointed out is that 20 million includes people who signed up for medicare/medicaid, not just those who signed up for Exchange coverage.

Quote:
The Current 2016 enrollment numbers: The current enrollment numbers (as of February 2016) are roughly: 12.7 million in the marketplace, and very roughly 20 million total between the ACA between the Marketplace, Medicaid expansion, young adults staying on their parents plan, and other coverage provisions.

http://obamacarefacts.com/sign-ups/obamacare-enrollment-numbers/

Quote:
It's a propaganda letter, full of untruths.

I'm wondering what exactly is wrong in the letter. Which untruths do you think should be addressed. If you say the whole letter, then you are not being honest and you would be the one pushing propaganda.
blatham

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:15 pm
@Sturgis,
In my personal world, when women snore, the sound is more beautiful than a duet with viola and flute, each evening star has a representative down on earth who is frantically searching to find me and sprinkle my head with sparkly stuff that will restore my bald spot, and nymphs of the forest simply cannot get enough of me.

I have high standards.
blatham

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:18 pm
Here's an interesting take:
Quote:
Bannon’s centralization of authority breeds incompetence. When you don’t have input from agencies, nobody knows how to implement the order — as we’ve seen in the chaos at America’s international airports. And when you don’t talk to the government’s lawyers, you open yourself up to lawsuits: the American Civil Liberties Union has already filed a successful suit against part of the immigration ban, and more are coming. Legal experts think these have a good chance to succeed, owing to the incompetence of the EO draft itself.

“The incompetence is actually good news for people who believe in visa and refugee policies based on criteria other than—let’s not be coy about this—bigotry and religious discrimination,” Ben Wittes, a senior fellow in Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution, writes at Lawfare. He continues:

Quote:
The President has created a target-rich environment for litigation that will make his policies, I suspect, less effective than they would have been had he subjected his order to vetting one percent as extreme as the vetting to which he proposes to subject refugees from Bashar al-Assad and the bombing raids of Vladimir Putin.

This points to a basic problem for Bannon. His worldview is so extreme, so isolated from what most people who staff the federal government believe, that he’s nearly alone in attempting to push it. So long as he has Trump’s ear, he’ll have the power to make major policy changes — but nobody can do everything well at once.
Vox
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:24 pm
@blatham,
I won't get into if snoring can be a medical phenomenon for good reasons or sometimes not.

Let me guess that Trump snores volumously.