monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 08:39 pm
The #45/Amazon/Pentagon story is getting interesting.

Who's been meeting with one of Amazon's competitors for the Pentagon cloud contract? #45 of course

Brilliant work again #45.

Bros before hos, where hos = the country you're president of.
ehBeth

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 08:41 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-and-amazon-oracle-safra-catz-pentagon-cloud-contract-2018-4

Quote:
President Donald Trump apparently dined with Oracle co-CEO Safra Catz on Tuesday night amid his repeated berating of Amazon, a company with which Oracle is in direct competition to land a Pentagon contract worth billions.

Bloomberg reported on Tuesday evening that Trump would dine with Catz and the billionaire venture capitalist Peter Thiel.
blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 09:02 pm
@ehBeth,
The suggestion that Trump gives a **** about working conditions of Amazon employees is as ridiculous a notion as I'll come across for a while. If he had that kind of empathy for the workers he'd probably have a history of paying them for work they did for Trump's businesses
Quote:
Donald Trump often portrays himself as a savior of the working class who will "protect your job." But a USA TODAY NETWORK analysis found he has been involved in more than 3,500 lawsuits over the past three decades — and a large number of those involve ordinary Americans, like the Friels, who say Trump or his companies have refused to pay them.
USA Today

This is all about bullying, vengeance and the propagandist derogation of any media who stand up to him and level criticisms.

When Bezos took over the WP, Greg Sargent and I had several conversations about the change. Neither of us knew whether there would be some discernible (possibly negative) consequences for the paper's reporting. But there weren't such consequence and after a few months, our anxieties dropped away. I have yet to see any ramifications from that ownership change.
izzythepush

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:21 am
Quote:
US officials say President Trump has been persuaded not to pull the military out of Syria immediately, despite his declaration last week that the US would "be coming out of Syria very soon".

Advisers reportedly convinced him that it could risk a resurgence by the Islamic State (IS) group.

The White House said on Wednesday the US military mission in Syria was coming to a "rapid end".

But it has not announced a timetable for a full troop withdrawal.

A statement said IS was almost completely destroyed, and that the US would consult its allies regarding future plans.

A senior administration official told NBC News that the president had agreed at a meeting on Tuesday to keep troops in Syria for an undetermined period, but "wasn't thrilled about it, to say the least".

The US has about 2,000 personnel on the ground in eastern Syria supporting an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias called the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

With the help of US-led coalition air strikes, SDF fighters have captured tens of thousands of square kilometres of territory from IS over the past three years.

Separately on Wednesday, Turkey, Iran and Russia pledged to speed up efforts to bring stability to Syria after a meeting between leaders in the Turkish capital Ankara.

All three countries are significant players in the conflict, albeit on different sides: Iran and Russia support Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, while Turkey has backed rebels opposing the regime.

But the three countries' leaders are united in their contempt for Washington and their belief that they now hold the cards in Syria, says BBC Turkey correspondent Mark Lowen.

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif told BBC Arabic that the US made the "wrong decision" to get involved in Syria in the first place and had created divisions and "worked on fault lines between various ethnicities".

In a speech in Ohio last week, the president predicted that the last pockets of land controlled by IS in Syria would be retaken "quickly".

"Let the other people take care of it now. Very soon, very soon, we're coming out," he said. "We're going to get back to our country, where we belong."

He was also reported to have ordered the state department to freeze more than $200m (£142m) in funds for recovery efforts in Syria pledged by his former Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson.

Officials in the global coalition against IS say the group has lost 98% of the land it once held in Syria and Iraq, but they stress that the jihadist group has not been completely defeated.

IS still holds territory in the Euphrates River Valley in eastern Syria, where the pace of SDF operations has slowed in the past two months because Kurdish fighters pulled out to battle Turkish troops in the north-western Afrin region.

"We are in Syria to fight Isis. That is our mission and our mission isn't over and we are going to complete that mission," said Mr Trump's special envoy, Brett McGurk.

Gen Joseph Votel, head of the US military's Central Command, told a conference on Tuesday: "The hard part I think is in front of us and that is stabilising these areas, consolidating our gains, getting people back into their homes, addressing the long term issues of reconstruction and other things that will have to be done."

In January, Mr Tillerson said the US would maintain an open-ended military presence in Syria to ensure the "enduring defeat" of IS, as well as counter Iranian influence and help end the country's seven-year civil war.

He warned that the US could not "make the same mistakes that were made in 2011 when a premature departure from Iraq allowed al-Qaeda in Iraq to survive and eventually morph into [IS]".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43644633
0 Replies

lmur

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 05:34 am
On a lighter note...

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/military-refuses-to-participate-in-trumps-parade-citing-bone-spurs
Lash

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 05:59 am
@blatham,
Trump is a flea on the dog that walked by while you were apologizing for Jeff Bezos.

Trump is a minor player on a time-limited leash, inconsequential, but what Bezos is doing will change your world.

Wake up!

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/inside-amazons-abusive-labor-practices/

He is marching the US into the same kind of neoliberal state that China is known for.

Is Amazon unionized? You’re still pro-union, right?

————————

Amazon likes to see itself as a cutting-edge, 21st-century growth company, always working to expedite delivery to its customers, whether by means of a drone, or eliminating queueing and bagging at its newly acquired Whole Foods stores with a new smartphone app. Beneath this high-tech sheen, however, the online retailer and tech giant engages in labor practices that provoke comparisons to a 19th-century sweatshop. The company routinely pays wages barely above the poverty line, while using intrusive surveillance systems to monitor the workforce, fence them in with elaborate rules, set target times for their warehouse journeys, and then measure whether targets were met. All of this information is made available to management in real time, and if Amazon’s “employee-athletes” fall behind schedule, they receive a Big Brother-like text message pushing them to reach their targets or suffer the consequences. Failure to do so is met with a “three strikes and release” discipline system—being a euphemism for getting sacked.

In essence, you’ve got a $550-billion-plus global conglomerate with virtually unchecked market power and no sign that its legally advantageous position will be challenged anytime soon via vigorous anti-trust enforcement—and certainly no encouragement of unionization to combat its abusive and intrusive work practices. Companies like Amazon have been aided and abetted by a sequence of “pro-business” governments that for decades introduced harsh industrial relations legislation to reduce the trade unions’ ability to achieve wage gains for their members, while lavishing billions in tax cuts and subsidies, which deprives the region of vitally needed revenue for the provision of essential public services.

Even before this latest municipal beauty competition, Amazon has received almost $123 million from the state of Ohio in cumulative tax breaks, plus $2.9 million in cash grants. That has been a great deal for the company, but what about the people of Ohio? A new study by Policy Matters Ohio found that more than 700 Amazon employees receive food stamps, or more than 10 percent of the tech giant’s 6,000-strong workforce in the state. That’s because the jobs provided by Amazon in exchange for these tax breaks barely pay above the $26,208 poverty line. So much for the much-vaunted “multiplier effect” supposedly created by this panoply of government largesse.

0 Replies

Lash

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:02 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The suggestion that Trump gives a **** about working conditions of Amazon employees is as ridiculous a notion as I'll come across for a while.

The question is: DO YOU care about the working conditions of Amazon employees—and every other enormous entity this megalomaniac gobbles up.
maporsche

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:38 am
@Lash,
You talk like you’re an independent thinker yet here you are railing on Amazon just like Trump wants you to. You’ll keep talking about Amazon until Trump tweets about something else and then you’ll fail on that for a while.

You’ve got to see that this is happening, where were your posts on amazon 3+ weeks ago?

You’re being played (or you’re playing us).
Lash

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:52 am
@maporsche,
You’re so myopic.

Trump-hate is blinding you to what you’d fight like hell in Trump’s absence. You’ve been groomed.
blatham

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:55 am
@lmur,
"citing bone spurs". God that guy is bright.
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:03 am
@Lash,
I will continue to vote for Democrats who support labor unions, higher minimum wages, and better working conditions. Nothing has changed here and this belief applies to all companies, not just the one that Trump wants us to look at right now (for political reasons).

I will not bark when Trump tells me to bark like a good little doggie.

Will you vote for Democrats who, as a party and the vast majority of individuals, support these things? Or will you continue to help Republicans get elected?
blatham

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:10 am
Just a quick check...

Has Lash yet linked those posts about Walmart she said she wrote? Has she linked to any prior posts going after big corporations for their labor practices? Has she linked to anything she's written here earlier on the justice aspects or social benefits accruing from unions?

And, I guess more to the point, has she linked to anything she's written ever on the Republican campaign, of decades in duration, to rid America of unions?

Please do keep me posted. Thanks, folks.
maporsche

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:10 am
@Lash,
Did you watch the new Roseanne show by chance?
maporsche

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:12 am
@blatham,
Nope. Not yet. We’re all waiting and holding our breath so I hope she hurries.

I’ve never used this term before, but she’s truly a Trumpet.
maporsche

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:17 am
@blatham,
She as recently as 6-7 months ago talked about not wanting to be in a union and how they took money from her. She then made he laughable comment that people could somehow not pay for the union and then decline any benefits the union may provide (as if that’s possoble in reality). Several of us went on to defend unions to her then I didn’t read enough to see if she came around to our side.

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1553#post-6512070

Quote:
Money was taken out of my paycheck against my will. I didn't want to be in the union.

I had no rights in the matter, and I was furious.

People should be able to choose to pay for union benefits, or not receive them.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:19 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Nope. Not yet. We’re all waiting and holding our breath so I hope she hurries.
Won't be today, since there's still some "post-feed" on twitter, about "Amazon's chief lobbyist".
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:20 am
Despite your having provided a link, she's likely to call you a liar --her all-purpose epithet.
0 Replies

Real Music

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 07:28 am
@Lash,
Please don't take offense. I am only basing my assertions from many of your previous post. I am not certain if my assertions are correct or not.

1. You do like and support Bernie Sanders.
2. You dislike and oppose Hillary Clinton.
3. You (mostly) dislike and oppose the democratic party.
4. You don't have any opinion about the republican party.
5. You do like and support Donald Trump.

Please correct me if I am wrong. You don't have to respond unless you want to. Just ignore this if you don't wish to respond. I'm just curious.
blatham

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 08:01 am
I recommend this Politico piece on EPA head, Pruitt for a number of reasons.
Quote:
EPA chief Scott Pruitt and his allies in the administration are on a mission to save his job
Allies will be, almost uniformly, those like Pence who are tightly aligned with the Koch network. As I noted before, Pruitt is exactly the sort of person they want there.
Quote:
offering a blitz of interviews to typically friendly media outlets while separately accusing a former agency staffer of a cascade of damaging leaks...Pruitt's defensive strategy, which combines exclusive interviews with Fox News, The Washington Times and other conservative media
It's worthwhile, I think, to have this reminder that Republicans are now relying heavily on disseminating political ideas through conservative media outlets. Pruitt, or anyone like him, are not going to engage news outlets that strongly challenge what they say (or very few of them and very seldom)*. This strategy has been building for a decade and a half now. And it piggy-backs on the complimentary strategy of constant derogation of mainstream news. The obvious goal is to divide citizens through keeping the GOP base in an information silo.

*We ought to note that Ed Henry actually did an unterrible job of challenging Pruitt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 08:07 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
You’ve got to see that this is happening, where were your posts on amazon 3+ weeks ago?

You’re being played

this is totally on point

what's kind of interesting is watching georgeob's posts, then 45's tweets and then what the poster you are responding to here posts

there's a reasonably straight line on a number of issues.

which one goes to the Bohemian Grove where the line to be pushed out is announced?