monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:38 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Are you infallible?

Absolutely not! I'm also not absolutely certain of anything beyond that.

See the difference between you and I?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:45 am
@layman,
I don't care about your political party or lack thereof. I'm asking if you find yourself as guilty of what you wrote (seemingly in a negative connotation). I don't disagree with you at all...I find this all over the board and am guilty at times of some of these (although I actively try not to be).

(1) fanantical certitude
(2) demonization of one's opponents
(3) extreme over-simplification
(4) hate

Is this something that you engage in and are a part of on this board?
layman

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:49 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I don't care about your political party or lack thereof. I'm asking if you find yourself as guilty of what you wrote (seemingly in a negative connotation). I don't disagree with you at all...I find this all over the board and am guilty at times of some of these (although I actively try not to be).

(1) fanantical certitude
(2) demonization of one's opponents
(3) extreme over-simplification
(4) hate

Is this something that you engage in and are a part of on this board?

Sure, all of that. Why? Because I HATE cheese-eaters, that's why. That said, about the only thing I am absolutely certain about is that cheese-eaters are the scourge of mankind and that they have utterly ruined every society ever known to man.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:52 am
You deleted you post Lash, but I agree.

Let's give it a rest.

Completely civil discussion over here?
https://able2know.org/topic/444399-1#post-6592205
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:02 pm
Quote:
Top White House aide announces deal on 2-year budget pact with huge increases for defense, domestic programs. Top White House aide announces deal on 2-year budget pact with huge increases for defense, domestic programs.

AP

I don't know the details, whether dreamers was included or whether any democrats voted or anything really other than the above.
layman

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:05 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I don't know the details, whether dreamers was included or whether any democrats voted or anything really other than the above.

Not likely. Daca aint got nuthin to do with no budget, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:13 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

AP

Your own cite sez this here:

Quote:
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California announced she would oppose the budget measure unless the chamber's GOP leaders promised a vote on legislation to protect "Dreamer" immigrants who face deportation after being brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

What's that tellya?
layman

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:21 pm
@layman,
More from Nancy the nihilist:

Quote:
Pelosi took to the House floor, promising to speak for hours, and said she would oppose that almost-completed budget pact even though it would boost funding for many domestic priorities favored by Democrats. She declared the agreement "does not have my support, nor does it have the support of a large number of members of our caucus."

She spoke as liberal activists protested that many Democrats were moving to leave Dreamer immigrants behind in grabbing the budget deal, a longstanding goal for the party.

Pelosi said the House should debate immigration legislation and noted that Senate Republicans have slated a debate on the politically freighted subject starting next week.

Chances of a repeat of last month's shutdown had appeared to be fading as prospects of a budget pact grew, but Pelosi's opposition could throw a monkey wrench into the plan. But it's clear that Senate Democrats have no appetite for another government shutdown. Their unity splintered during last month's three-day closure.

Senate Democratic leaders have dropped their strategy of using the funding fight to extract concessions on immigration, specifically on seeking extended protections for the "Dreamer" immigrants. Instead, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., prepared to cut a deal that would reap tens of billions of dollars for other priorities β€” including combatting opioids β€” while taking their chances on solving the immigration impasse later.

Tough luck, there, dreamers.

Apart from the dreamers themselves (and Nancy), no one really seems to believe that their particular wants and demands are the only thing that's important. For them, there simply are no "other priorities."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

It puzzles me when people give them oxygen here.

Better they perish in an environment that is a vacuum as respects a conservative atmosphere (or more aptly a rational one).

I'm sure it is puzzling why some of the smart people here keep engaging with the stupid ones. Perhaps they didn't get the memo: The memo imploring the smart people to Keep A2K Progressive!

If we would just deprive these right-wing trolls of oxygen, they would eventually suffocate, dry up and blow away. And then...and then we could have this forum all to ourselves! The Progressive Daisy Chain would thrive and A2K would be the refuge we all long for: A place where only the correct way of thinking is demonstrated, where everyone agrees and there is no turmoil or dissent. Everyone's contribution to the ongoing progressive narrative would be appreciated and honored regardless of whether it is simply a few words or an entire chapter. It's working on American campuses, it can work here!

Perhaps your partner can solve the puzzle for you since rather than attempting to deprive these annoying right-wing wildfires of air, he directs a hose from his oxygen tank right at them.

Maybe you, blatham and a few other progressives can scrape up enough money to buy A2K from Robert, and then you could employ whatever measures you find necessary to create the forum of your dreams. You might want to try asking George Soros for his help. He'd never miss the relatively minuscule amount needed to secure complete control of A2K, and it's just the sort of endeavor he loves to support.

Good luck!
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:47 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Setanta: you suffer from the same defect as Finn. You pontificate, but you don't substantiate.

blatham: Actually, Finn does provide citations/links sometimes. But george, never. It's assertions all the way down.

You two ought not to be pointing fingers. Not that you both aren't completely accurate on your assessments of Finn and georgeob1, but you are, yourselves, intellectual cowards on some highly pertinent topics.

Therein lies your hypocrisy, though you advance some truth.
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:49 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
If I had more hair, I would be pulling it out at the sight of so many Republicans/conservatives dropping every shred of honor and dignity in order to defend their tribal affiliation. This is a very frightening point in time.

That is you, blatham, just look in the mirror. Only difference is you equate yourself with Democrats/"liberals" and you too are "dropping every shred of honor and dignity in order to defend your tribal affiliation".
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:53 pm
@layman,
Quote:
When Trump mentioned "shitholes" he forgot to include the People's Republic of California, eh?

He also forgot to mention the US of A.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:55 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'm sure they did. Which is really quite a drag because... no seat warmers. And those seats are going to be cold.

It's just a dummy in the seat; and, no, not tRump. That is in a prior discussion.....
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:55 pm
@layman,
The part I quoted was an update from the below piece, so things might have changed or it might not have.

Edit:

From this piece I gather the house still has to approve or pass the senate deal which is in doubt because the house has not agreed to have the immigration debate the same as the senate has, plus some republicans disapprove of the increase in domestic spending. So I am not sure why the white house aide announced a deal reached.

Big budget deal in Senate hailed as 'genuine breakthrough' (AP)

BillW

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 01:05 pm
@blatham,
Lash is far left and far right wing, which on my political spectrum is side by side. It is what the dixicrats did to go from Dems to Repubs from 1948 to 1972.
coluber2001

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 01:16 pm
@BillW,
Ever sinnce Lincoln, a Republican couldn't get elected in the South to save his life. After the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed all of the conservative Southern Democrats deserted to The Republican Party. Ever since then a Democrat can't get elected in the South to save his life.
camlok

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 01:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
As I've described before, much of the ClintonsForMcCain/Puma movements were false flag operations run by the RNC and allies

You slander USians, blatham. False flags perpetrated by Americans, perish the thought.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 01:21 pm
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the world, more than 136 killed in the last 48 hours in Syria by Russian and Syrian forces.

Shouldn't a UN meeting take place to see what can be done stop this killing? Why are people just basically ignoring it?

AL JAZEERA NEWS

It is a terrible humanitarian crises being largely ignored by the world.