What Is The Best Healthcare System For The USA

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:24 am
Given the uniqueness of the USA compared to other countries and their healthcare models (the huge size, the economy, the income disparity between the top and bottom, the political atomosphere, etc)...

1) What are some of your opinions on what the best system would be for the USA?

2) What limitations do you see with this system?

3) How would you propose implementing this system?

4) What do you think the biggest arguments against this system would be?

***It would be great if we could leave out any history or personal attacks on this policy discussion***

I'll post my thoughts here later today.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,180 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:32 am
I'm curious about changes from both the right side of the debate as well as the left.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:02 pm
A market-based system such as that used in Germany is by far the best option for the USA, by a massive margin.
Sturgis

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 02:15 pm
@maporsche,
The simplest thing is to say there should be a government run, comprehensive healthcare plan for all residents of the United States. How to bring this about is relatively clear. Examine the systems which other countries that have coverage for all have crafted over time. Learn how they pay for it.

Of course there might be limitations; however, those should relate towards things such as, getting third and fourth opinions after a diagnosis. (a second opinion should be part of the coverage). There'd likely be other limits, we need to see how other nations do this.

One way to implement the plan would be to bring the insurance
companies into the fold. These are people who know a bit more than the average person or the average government agent. There are also insurance departments for most states. These departments have experience in determining if an insurer unjustly refused to issue payment for a medical matter.

As to cost, people who currently have health insurance are already paying. Some do so directly to a company, others through a wage deduction or by receiving a lower salary.

In addition, according to income, an annual deduction (similar to what many companies and Medicare have). Plus - and here's where the protestations enter - a percentage of cost would not be covered. Again, based on income, with the top tier paying no more than 20% of cost or a set dollar amount.

Arguments? There will be several, dozens upon dozens. Present the facts to the people and find persuasive ways to help them understand the benefits which will outweigh the downside or perceived downside.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 03:24 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
A market-based system such as that used in Germany is by far the best option for the USA, by a massive margin.

You got me reading about the German system. I am a bit surprised that you would support this system. It is an insurance mandate... that is deducted from your paycheck.

oralloy

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 04:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Think Obamacare exchanges with a bit more regulation of the insurers, not-for-profit insurers, and no Republicans sabotaging the system.

Why would you think I'd oppose an insurance mandate? The entire point of universal health care is that everyone takes part.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 06:10 pm
@oralloy,
The market-based program can be combined with public insurance. It is
similar to the Canadian system.

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/healthinsurance.html#sick-pay-insurance

Quote:
You have three options for health insurance while living in Germany; the government-regulated public health insurance system (GKV), private health insurance from a German or international insurance company (PKV) or a combination of the two.
Olivier5

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:11 am
@ehBeth,
The French system is also based on a mixture of public and private insurances, and works decently well.
0 Replies