monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 10:52 am
Quote:
Low-quality, extremist, sensationalist and conspiratorial news published in the US was overwhelmingly consumed and shared by rightwing social network users, according to a new study from the University of Oxford.

Guardian
layman

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 10:57 am
@maporsche,
Lash is one of the rare breed that just says what she truly believes without any regard for what party her beliefs may "side with." One statement may be "in sympathy" with far left Bernie, the next may complain about the (obvious) unwarranted abuse of Trump. Lash simply favors what she believes is right and fair.

To fanatical partisan ideological extremists, like Blather, for example, this is incomprehensible. For him, if you don't completely trash his enemies, you're "with them."

Lash is a beacon of reason and fairness. Blather is a slave to dogmatic tribalism.
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:00 am
@Lash,
Oh Lash, you're the sole virtuous person on this forum I imagine.

I mean you can't agree with George, Laymen, Finn, and Orallay. They don't support any of your supposed policy positions, AT ALL.

You also can't agree with me or any of the other lefties on this board (except maybe edgar) because we don't support with your supposed policy positions enough (I guess).

You are the lone person on this board with complete self-awareness and no faults in your opinions or your political leanings (even though you've admitted to changing them dramatically over the last 15 years).

How lonely it must be for you on this island of virtuousness and omniscience.

I for one, will continue to be amazed that someone who's votes brought us BOTH the Iraq and Afgan wars (Bush II) AND Donald Trump as president AND claims to support left leaning policies....can possibly believe her **** doesn't stink so to speak and her opinions are obviously correct as her mind is infallible.
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:03 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Lash is one the rare breed that just says what she truly believes without any regard for what party her beliefs may "side with." One statement may be "in sympathy" with far left Bernie, the next may complain about the (obvious) unwarranted abuse of Trump. Lash simply favors what she believes is right and fair.

That "breed" of attacking democrats and defending republicans is anything but "rare".
blatham

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:04 am
@nimh,
First, I've made no such accusation about anyone else on this board. Ever. So pretty obviously we could conclude this is not likely a matter of partisan divide or excessive tribalism.

Second, I'm very well aware that the behavior I am indicting has a real presence in modern US politics. As I've described before, much of the ClintonsForMcCain/Puma movements were false flag operations run by the RNC and allies where the pretense was "dems angry that Hillary's election was stolen by Obama so we are voting for McCain in protest". As a reporter at Wired discovered, the ClintonsForMcCain domain was registered to the RNC and within a day or two, that site was up was quickly linked to hundreds of other related and inter-linked MySpace pages and sites purportedly run by Hillary fans. I spent a couple of months going through this web and speaking with many people involved. Maybe one out of ten could detail policies Hillary was advancing that they agreed with. This was the first organized use of social media to run a political dirty tricks operation that I had bumped into.

Third, one of the loudest voices coming from the "sanders supporters" during the Dem convention was that of a lady who later was revealed to be a right wing pretender. That's an old propaganda trick.

Fourth, it was/is utterly predictable that a significant attack vector against Clinton would be to come at her from the left - "she's a crappy, untrustworthy, faux-liberal". Not only was the Sanders campaign (regardless of its legitimacy) a great gift to the Republicans because it served the necessary function, it will predictably be an arena where right wing trolls would be operating.

Could I be wrong that some individual would spend this amount of effort on a board such as this one? Sure. It does seem quite ridiculous and unlikely. But I've seen it before. It matches the pattern. And to repeat, I've not made this accusation, ever, of anyone else on this board.

And on this board, lash has a long record that's readily available. You seem to include her and her statements in the category of "far left". That's a very big difference in ideological stance from the Lash we knew before the last election. Is that degree of shift more likely to you than my thesis?
blatham

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:05 am
@izzythepush,
Lovely quote.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:06 am
@hightor,
Yes, I saw that. It certainly matches my experience.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:07 am
@blatham,
There must not be much going on in South Carolina and she's just killing time here for some reason.

She doesn't engage in any conversations on policies, which is what throws the biggest red flags in my direction.
Lash

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:08 am
@maporsche,
I defend and attack Republicans and Democrats based on when I think it’s merited.

You’re a little one-sided on that count, aren’t you?
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:11 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I defend and attack Republicans and Democrats based on when I think it’s merited.

You’re a little one-sided on that count, aren’t you?

One-sided in that I believe that the democratic policies are what's best for America right now and I want to see them implemented. Yeah, I'll take that "criticism". When I see a republican do something that I feel advances causes that I support, I'll offer an 'atta-boy'.

I'd love to engage you on the pros and cons of just one policy you support Lash. I'd love that to be Universal Healthcare. You and I supposedly will have some agreement on this. Let's see if we can't formulate a discussion that may help convince Finn, George, Layman, or Orallay.

I'm sure you see a lot of republicans doing things you support Lash, hence the defense. That indeed is one thing I think we can all agree on.
layman

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:14 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

That "breed" of attacking democrats and defending republicans is anything but "rare".

Heh, thanks for demonstrating and reinforcing my point, eh, Ma? Lash is with Tommy on this one:

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
“I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics or in anything else. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to Heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all.”

Lash is an iconoclast who doesn't recognize (let alone bow down to) any "sacred cows." Just the kind that partisan zealots from both extremes hate. The girl says what she thinks--no bullshit, coyness, or shyness about it. That too is completely foreign to the tribalists.
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:18 am
@layman,
Lash, the "free and moral agent" that brought us Bush II, his wars, the great recession, and Trump who's lasting gifts are TBD.

She's about as "free" as a marionette doll and about as "moral" as an anarchist.
Lash

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:18 am
@maporsche,
Hey. At least I live in the country I’m concerned about.

The proliferation of peoplekind from Canada yammering about the US makes one wonder what they’ve got going on.
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:19 am
@Lash,
I live in Chicago. Still part of the USA.
Lash

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:22 am
@maporsche,
You said my name in a sentence with a lot of other stuff.

Haha. You guys must be so mortified that you can’t actually argue a point from your left.

You spend so much energy attacking little ole me personally, rather than proving your points.

You seem to be such a collection of cowards. All you know is bullying in mobs. I’m embarrassed of you.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:23 am
@maporsche,
So, I guess you weren’t one of the Canadians I was referring to.
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:27 am
@Lash,
Here Lash. I created a thread with you in mind.

I promise not to attack you there or bring up anything non-related to healthcare, the policies around healthcare, and the politics of implementing healthcare. I'll treat you like you're someone I've never encountered on this board before. I'll do this regardless if you agree to do the same.

What Is The Best Healthcare System For The USA
https://able2know.org/topic/444399-1
0 Replies

layman

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:30 am
The extremist rhetoric that dominates this is joint is characterized by (1) fanantical certitude (2) demonization of one's opponents, (3) extreme over-simplification, and (4) unbridled hate.

Bertrand Russell wrote:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
maporsche

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:33 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

The extremist rhetoric that dominates this is joint is characterized by (1) fanantical certitude (2) demonization of one's opponents, (3) extreme over-simplification, and (4) hate.

Do you see yourself as a part of this?
Lash

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:35 am
@maporsche,
Do you often intentionally post error-ridden posts, or intentionally misrepresent your opinions?

Are you infallible?