monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 05:10 am
Quote:
US President Donald Trump has asked his country's top trade official to review China's practices regarding intellectual property.
The move was incremental, but could eventually lead to the US imposing trade sanctions.
Mr Trump is trying to balance working with China on relations with North Korea, with his "America-first" trade views.
Beijing warned that it "will not sit idle" if the probe leads to sanctions.
Mr Trump returned to Washington to sign the order, which authorises US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to explore whether to undertake a deeper Section 301 investigation.
If such a probe occurs and finds against China, the president could unilaterally impose tariffs, sanctions or other trade restrictions to protect US industries.
The initial review is expected to take months.
Donald Trump has long railed against the massive US trade deficit with China.
The total trade relationship was worth $648bn (£500bn) last year, but trade was heavily skewed in China's favour with the US amassing a nearly $310bn deficit last year.
Some of that deficit, the argument goes, is because Chinese firms are copying US products and ideas and either selling them back to the US at a lower price or squeezing US imports out of the Chinese market.
Concern over counterfeit goods and online piracy also pre-date the Trump administration.
US firms are especially upset about rules that require local partnerships or disclosure of intellectual property to enter the Chinese market, which they say facilitates transfer of their ideas.
The Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property estimates that the annual cost to the US economy from counterfeit goods, pirated software and theft of trade secrets is between $225bn and $600bn.
The commission says that China is the world's principal intellectual property infringer and that it accounts for 87% of counterfeit items coming into the US.
In November 2015, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence put the cost of economic espionage through hacking at $400bn a year.
The European Union, Japan, Germany and Canada have all expressed concern over China's behaviour on intellectual property theft.
Mr Trump called the memo "a very big move", but also noted that "this is just the beginning".
The measure was overshadowed by controversy over his condemnation of the white supremacist groups involved in violence in Charlottesville, Virginia on Saturday, seen by many as dilatory.
Top Democrat Sen Chuck Schumer dismissed the memo as "tough talk" without action. The US already reviewed intellectual property practices in China earlier this year as part of a wider report.
"To make an announcement that they're going to decide whether to have an investigation on China's well-documented theft of our intellectual property is another signal to China that it is OK to keep stealing," Mr Schumer said in a statement.
Analysts for the Eurasia Group said the decision suggested the administration had decided to prioritise co-operation with China over North Korea.
"Rightly or wrongly, the White House believes that taking tough trade actions against China will harm its ability to elicit more co-operation from China on North Korea. This decision captures that prioritisation more than any other to date," analysts wrote in a note issued on Monday.
Unravelling trade system
Some critics say President Trump's push is a dangerous move that could cause the international trade system to unravel.
While intellectual property theft and copyright infringement are major problems, pursuing them with such a blunt instrument could prompt China to take retaliatory measures, according to Deborah Elms from the Asian Trade Centre.
"There will be a lot of collateral damage along the way. I understand the impulse to get tough, but if I were a company in China, I would be very worried about this," she says.
There were hundreds of section 301 investigations in the 1970s and 1980s, but the policy tool was largely set aside after the WTO brought into effect a binding dispute system, largely at the prompting of the US.
Ms Elms says that if the US casts aside the system it helped to develop over 30 years, other countries might be tempted to act unilaterally too.
In response to the move China's commerce ministry issued a statement voicing "serious concern" and warning this would "definitely harm bilateral trade relations".
"If the US side take actions that impair the mutual trade relations, disregarding the facts and disrespecting multilateral trade rules, China will not sit idle," the statement said on Tuesday.
Official media in China have criticised the measure too.
A Xinhua News Agency commentary labelled the move "outdated" and said it would hurt both countries.
In an editorial, the official China Daily urged the Trump administration to pursue a different path.
It said the move could not be seen in isolation from North Korea, and what President Trump sees as China's failure to rein in the country's nuclear ambitions and missile programme.
"Instead of advancing the United States' interests, politicising trade will only acerbate the country's economic woes, and poison the overall China-US relationship," it said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40810381
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 06:45 am
@snood,
He probably got upset about this act of vandalism too.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/640/media/images/66818000/jpg/_66818558_saddam_statue.jpg

And this one.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/man-with-fallen-statue-of-stalin-picture-id635933347
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 06:52 am
Quote:
A US service provider is fighting government demands for it to hand over details of millions of activists.
The Department of Justice (DoJ) wants all visitors' IP addresses - some 1.3 million - to a website that helped organise a protest on the day of President Trump's inauguration.
DreamHost is currently refusing to comply with the request and is due in court later this month.
The DoJ has not yet responded to requests for comment from the BBC.
It is unclear why it wants the internet protocol addresses of visitors to website disruptj20.org, which organised a protest against President Trump on 20 January - the day of his inauguration.
"The website was used in the development, planning, advertisement and organisation of a violent riot that occurred in Washington DC on January 20, 2017," it wrote in its motion to the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, which sought to compel DreamHost to hand over the information.
It suggested that "a particular customer" was the subject of the warrant, but does not explain why it needed so much information on other visitors.
In a blog post on the issue, DreamHost said that, like many other online service providers, it was regularly approached by law enforcement about customers who may be the subject of criminal investigations.
But, it added, it took issue with this particular search warrant "for being a highly untargeted demand".
In addition to the IP addresses, DreamHost said that the DoJ requested the contact information, email content and photos of "thousands of visitors".
Civil liberties group The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is helping DreamHost fight its case, said: "No plausible explanation exists for a search warrant of this breadth, other than to cast a digital dragnet as broadly as possible."
A hearing on the issue is due on 18 August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40935770
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:07 am
Quote:
The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security in May warned that white supremacist groups had already carried out more attacks than any other domestic extremist group over the past 16 years and were likely to carry out more attacks over the next year, according to an intelligence bulletin obtained by Foreign Policy.

Even as President Donald Trump continues to resist calling out white supremacists for violence, federal law enforcement has made clear that it sees these types of domestic extremists as a severe threat. The report, dated May 10, says the FBI and DHS believe that members of the white supremacist movement “likely will continue to pose a threat of lethal violence over the next year.”
FP
Definitely in the running for today's No ****, Sherlock award.

And then there's this sort of thing, as we saw over the weekend
Quote:
Twice this year, Democrats on the House Homeland Security Committee have urged Republican leaders to hold hearings on the security threats posed by white supremacists and their allies. In both instances, GOP officials ignored the requests.
Benen
snood

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:12 am
@blatham,
White supremacist terror may be an obvious phenomenon to many of us, but it may not qualify for a NSS award, if only for the fact that so many have been successfully brainwashed to believe that the only terrorism is Muslim terrorism.
blatham

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:18 am
@snood,
Within the first two weeks of Trump's administration, they set about altering the Countering Extremist Violence program to target Muslims and to drop any focus on white supremacists.
snood

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:21 am
@blatham,
Yup, ole Jefferson Beauregard Sessions is a busy bee.
Lash

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:22 am
Do you think it's a bit hypocritical to criticize Trump so harshly for not immediately naming the precise type of violence killed a citizen in Charlottesville; but conversely, to give Obama a so-what shrug for refusing to say 'radical Islamic terrorism' when it was the applicable term?
DrewDad

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:24 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Why is layman ttrying so desparately to exoneraate a Hitler lover that eyewitnesses saw tvhit at leAst 20 people with his car?

My theory (general troll theory): Because it gets people upset, and the troll can then feel superior.
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:28 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Do you think it's a bit hypocritical to criticize Trump so harshly for not immediately naming the precise type of violence killed a citizen in Charlottesville; but conversely, to give Obama a so-what shrug for refusing to say 'radical Islamic terrorism' when it was the applicable term?

I say we ask Bernie....

Bernie Sanders wrote:
Look, I think it is — when you have a president who doesn’t have the guts to say what the vast majority of the people understand to be true, that white supremacy and neo-Nazism have got to be condemned, he can’t even do that! The message he is sending out to racists and neo-Nazis all over the country is, ‘It’s OK.’ In fact, you heard some language to that. ‘The president hasn’t condemned us. Why don’t we do more rallies? Why don’t we spread the word of white supremacy and racism and neo-Nazism?’ So do I think the president bears some responsibility for that? Absolutely, yes.
DrewDad

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:30 am
@snood,
cycloptichorn wrote:
It's like Cosplaying mixed with a bunch of resentment and sexual frustration.

There's a lot of truth to this.

Someone on twitter posted screenshots of alt-right sites that said "go out to bars in a group. Random women will want to have sex with you."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:32 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Were you part of the crowd that decided Milo, Coulter, Dawkins or Shapiro from being able to speak at Berkeley? Part of the crowd that decided they knew what speech was good speech and what speech they would allow to be heard?

Tell me, which of those speakers are Nazi's?

I was not, and I don't support anyone who did so, as none of those speakers were in fact Nazis or white supremacists. Shapiro especially should have been allowed to speak. The rest are hacks but not evil and should have been allowed as well.

Quote:
I think that showing up at a demonstration or seech or whatever with the intent to disrupt is really stupid and borderline criminal when injury or violence is planned.

It's shitty when the Westboro Baptists do it, it's shitty when the Klan does it at gay rally's and it's shitty when Antifa does it at anyplace they decide they don't like.

There's nothing borderline about it - it IS criminal when violence is planned. I don't believe violence is almost ever necessary in these instances, but if it is, I'm certainly not looking for anyone to escape the consequences of their actions.

I'll tell you that any nazi or white supremacist who tried to give a speech here would be best advised to go elsewhere, for their own safety, because many of us are willing to face the consequences of our actions to keep scum like that off our campus. And we're working hard to destroy the careers and lives of known racists and their supporters. They really oughta go back to the hoods, because we'll ruin any of them that doesn't.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:53 am
@Lash,
Trump, himself and through his associates, criticized Obama repeatedly for not using that term (the use of which, I have no opinion on).

I don't think it's hypocritical to hold Trump to HIS OWN standard and quotes, do you?

That being said, Obama's reasoning for not using the term was that he thought doing so would worsen the problem with terrorism, that using the term would strengthen the terrorists..

Trump not calling out white supremacists protects them and makes them stronger (their leaders have even said this).
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:57 am
@Lash,
Bernie doesn't speak for me.

I just enjoy pointing out all the times that your ideological hero and you disagree.
maporsche

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 09:13 am
@Lash,
Cool.

Any thoughts here:

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1412#post-6484592
Lash

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 09:19 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote: