@Lash,
Lash wrote:

That link directs me to a page filled with ignored posts... 😋

...if only...
0 Replies

snood

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 09:32 am
@maporsche,
Careful. The ideology of 'Only Bernie is pure enough' ism is STRONG medicine.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 09:56 am
Quote:
Trump's retweet storm: A Pizzagate conspiracy theorist, a train hitting CNN, and accusations of fascism

President Trump started off Tuesday morning by retweeting a number of controversial images and sources – ranging from a known conspiracy theorist to an image depicting violence against the media.

The retweet storm came as critics wondered why Trump's scripted statement denouncing white supremacists for their role in the violence in Charlottesville came 48 hours after his initial remarks chiding "many sides" were criticized as inadequate.

Trump retweeted Jack Posobiec, an alt-right figure who pushed the Pizzagate and Seth Rich conspiracy theories, who questioned why there was no similar outrage over the violence in Chicago.

"Meanwhile: 39 shootings in Chicago this weekend, 9 deaths. No national media outrage. Why is that?"

The retweet remained on the president's account as of Tuesday morning.

The president also retweeted the account @slandinsocal, who posted an image of a person holding a CNN sign being hit by a train, with the commentary, "Nothing can stop the #TrumpTrain!!"

The White House said in a statement that this tweet was inadvertently posted and as soon it was noticed it was immediately deleted. The president has deleted tweets and retweets in the past.

Yet the image was reminiscent of another controversial tweet, when the president posted a gif that depicted him punching CNN. The retweet also comes the day after the president called a CNN reporter "fake news" during an exchange at the White House.

Trump also retweeted Mike Holden, who called the president a "fascist" in response to news that the president was "seriously considering" a pardon for former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Trump had retweeted a story about a possible pardon for Arpaio, who was found guilty of criminal contempt related to a racial profiling case – which in itself would be highly controversial in the immediate aftermath of Charlottesville.

Trump's retweet of the accusation of fascism, the White House said, was also inadvertent and deleted.

Yet Holden's Twitter bio reads, "Officially Endorsed by the President of the United States. I wish that were a good thing."

USA Today

One of twitter responses:

Quote:
ian bremmer
✔ ‎@ianbremmer

Trump finally calls out racism in Charlottesville.

And then retweets Pizzagate conspiracy theorist.

Kelly has his work cut out for him.

I wish Trump would just get mad and quit.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:04 am
@revelette1,
When I saw this twet acoupleof hours ago,my firt thought was that the account was hacked ...
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Cycloptichorn

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:12 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

This is why no one takes your side seriously, you are equating the struggles of gay people with black people, which today there is no gay struggle, there are no laws against anyone who is gay.

Hey Baldi,

Perhaps you're unaware, but it's still legal in most states to discriminate against gay people. Gay folks only got the right to adopt in all states in 2016. The idea that there are no laws that discriminate against gay people, or that the struggle of gay people to have equality is 'not serious,' is pretty crazy in the face of the facts.

Edit: not to mention a variety of Trans folks who quite clearly are still struggling for acceptance and equality in our society.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:33 am
@layman,
The most salient fact for you and I to discuss is that you lied about seeing a video of that murderer's car being attacked by protestors. What more, upon repeated attempts to get you to link to said video, you were unable to do so and angrily denied admitting you are a liar and turned to insulting me instead.

In light of that, I dare say that nothing else you say interests me in the slightest. You can resolve this pretty easily by admitting you lied.

Cycloptichorn
snood

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The most salient fact for you and I to discuss is that you lied about seeing a video of that murderer's car being attacked by protestors. What more, upon repeated attempts to get you to link to said video, you were unable to do so and angrily denied admitting you are a liar and turned to insulting me instead.

In light of that, I dare say that nothing else you say interests me in the slightest. You can resolve this pretty easily by admitting you lied.

Cycloptichorn

Admit he lied? Homey don't play dat!
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm glad you're back Cyclops (even if only for a while).

Less glad that you've chosen to engage this particular poster, but I'm sure you'll stop soon enough (pretty much we all have, as it's a complete waste of time).
Cycloptichorn

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:49 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm glad you're back Cyclops (even if only for a while).

Less glad that you've chosen to engage this particular poster, but I'm sure you'll stop soon enough (pretty much we all have, as it's a complete waste of time).

I just like to toy with them for a while before I get bored.

Yeah, I've been on break a while but figured I'd drop back in and see how everyone is doing. Almost Fantasy Football time again and I'm getting jazzed about the upcoming season.

Cycloptichorn
snood

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree he's definitely not worth the time or energy. But I did enjoy seeing you exposing a blatant lie and making that toad sputter after only a few posts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 11:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I just like to toy with them for a while before I get bored.

always a pleasure to see you drop by

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/280sw0yu335.gif
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 11:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I'll tell you that any nazi or white supremacist who tried to give a speech here would be best advised to go elsewhere, for their own safety, because many of us are willing to face the consequences of our actions to keep scum like that off our campus. And we're working hard to destroy the careers and lives of known racists and their supporters. They really oughta go back to the hoods, because we'll ruin any of them that doesn't.

Granted, they are scum but it sounds like you are prepared to use violence (which you yourself have clearly defined as illegal) to prevent them from speaking at your locale. Why is that?

There may come a time when ordinary American citizens must make a momentous decision to illegally engage in violence in an effort to preserve life and liberty for themselves, their families and their fellow Americans, but do you honestly believe we are at that point in time in this country?

If the Neo-Nazis and KKK, in Charlottesville , had conducted their demonstrations, that were at the same time loathsome and infantile, but no violence of any sort had ensued, what would have been the harm to the community or the nation that was so severe it would have justified people using violent and illegal means to prevent it?

Do you believe that it would have, in some way, served to normalize racism? Similar marches in the past haven't done so; why now?

My primary reaction to relatively small groups of people marching down the street dressed in ridiculous costumes with signs that fully advertise their malignant ignorance has been to remark how pathetic, ludicrous and grotesque they appear, not to fear they represent the spear tip of a metastasized threat to life and liberty, or that the presence of their contemptible parades might actually harm anyone.

This is not, at all, to say that these people are harmless and not capable of evil deeds. The scope of the possible harm they can inflict, however, isn't even remotely close to seizing power and control over the nation. That is obviously their sick fantasy, but to fear it as a real possibility is to also engage in fantasy.

We know that the FBI maintains a watchful eye on their organizations and their membership, and this is right and proper. Many of them should and are viewed as actual or potential domestic terrorists, and I hope it is the same with Antifa groups. Should violence be necessary to prevent their committing evil deeds or bringing to justice any who commit them, that's fine with me...as long as it is wielded by the law enforcement agencies in which we have entrusted such awesome power. (If the cops can't always be trusted to properly use force, why the hell would anyone think untrained citizens acting out of passion can be?)

Clearly you are adamant in your hatred of these people and totally confident in the righteousness of your hatred, but as you are aware there are people in this country who are just as adamant and confident concerning their particular hatreds. Regardless of your willingness to accept the consequences of your actions you are stating your support for people to act on their hatred, even in violent and illegal ways. You will not be in a position to hand out Cyclo Permits to those with hatreds you deem as equally righteous as your own.

Quote:
And we're working hard to destroy the careers and lives of known racists and their supporters.

This is a more disturbing statement than your veiled threat to commit violence against racist speakers in your community as it can be achieved with anonymity, in the comfort of your kitchen and in avoidance of any consequences at all. In short, it's the sort of work a self-righteous coward can apply himself to with vigor.

Just how does someone make your list of known racists or supporters of known racists?

How does your little Star Chamber decide whose careers and lives are to be ruined? What sort of tactics will you employ? Have you already been successful with any of your targets?

Your statement that you are willing to accept the consequences of using illegal means to stop racists from speaking in your community is admirable in that the vast majority of your fellow social justice warriors are clearly not...hence the masks. Should you knock out a Neo-Nazi who has come to your community to give a racist hate speech, please look into the camera that films you being taken into custody by the police and give us a sign so that we can recognize you. Given your nom de guerre, might I suggest that you point your index finger to the center of your forehead?

Cycloptichorn

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 11:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to write out long posts. In the interests of brevity, I'm only going to respond to part of them; if you feel that I'm dodging the discussion by omitting a response to something you felt was important, let me know and I'll respond more specifically.

Quote:
Granted, they are scum but it sounds like you are prepared to use violence (which you yourself have clearly defined as illegal) to prevent them from speaking at your locale. Why is that?

The short answer is that the violence is worth the consequences. There are certain ideologies that are simply beyond the pale and not tolerable, because they are extremist in nature and failure to aggressively attack them simply allows them to grow to the point where their adherents start killing people. It's not enough to ignore or attempt to passively marginalize Nazis or white supremacists. Why? The answer is simple: the end game of both of those groups is the armed overthrow of our society. Explicitly. The idea that this is just a 'joke' and will fizzle out is a false one. If we do nothing, more and more misguided youth will be radicalized and attach themselves to them. It's like chopping out cancer before it metastasizes.

If some people have to pay a price for curing society of the cancer, so be it. Nazis and White Supremacists are not comparable to other social movements in the slightest, as they do not seek coexistence with their fellow man, but instead domination of them. Explicitly! I have no tolerance for this and I believe the vast majority of Americans agree with me. I'll say it directly: the only good Nazi is a dead one.

Quote:
There may come a time when ordinary American citizens must make a momentous decision to illegally engage in violence in an effort to preserve life and liberty for themselves, their families and their fellow Americans, but do you honestly believe we are at that point in time in this country?

Yup. Some of you are unwilling to admit it, but the election of Trump was an extremely dangerous moment for us and a signal that extremism is on the rise. I don't expect that to turn around quickly and we're going to have to continue to confront this problem for some time.

Here's a piece for you to read:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/is-america-headed-for-a-new-kind-of-civil-war

Quote:
“We keep saying, ‘It can’t happen here,’ but then, holy smokes, it can,” Mines told me after we talked, on Sunday, about Charlottesville. The pattern of civil strife has evolved worldwide over the past sixty years. Today, few civil wars involve pitched battles from trenches along neat geographic front lines. Many are low-intensity conflicts with episodic violence in constantly moving locales. Mines’s definition of a civil war is large-scale violence that includes a rejection of traditional political authority and requires the National Guard to deal with it. On Saturday, McAuliffe put the National Guard on alert and declared a state of emergency.

Based on his experience in civil wars on three continents, Mines cited five conditions that support his prediction: entrenched national polarization, with no obvious meeting place for resolution; increasingly divisive press coverage and information flows; weakened institutions, notably Congress and the judiciary; a sellout or abandonment of responsibility by political leadership; and the legitimization of violence as the “in” way to either conduct discourse or solve disputes.

President Trump “modeled violence as a way to advance politically and validated bullying during and after the campaign,” Mines wrote in Foreign Policy. “Judging from recent events the left is now fully on board with this,” he continued, citing anarchists in anti-globalization riots as one of several flashpoints. “It is like 1859, everyone is mad about something and everyone has a gun.”

Our societal peace is more fragile than people realize.

Quote:
If the Neo-Nazis and KKK, in Charlottesville , had conducted their demonstrations, that were at the same time loathsome and infantile, but no violence of any sort had ensued, what would have been the harm to the community or the nation that was so severe it would have justified people using violent and illegal means to prevent it?

It would have acted as a normalization and signaled an acceptance by society of the radical ideologies of those scumbags. This serves to draw more people to the cause, especially as traditional politicians fail them due to problems with our systems. How many Republicans do you think turned to Ethno-Nationalist Populism out of disgust with their own politicians? Lots of them that I've seen.

Though it may harm your sense of decency, this cannot be allowed to happen in our society. We must send a clear signal that avowed racists and supremacists are scum who will not be tolerated, and that their fellow citizens will band together to oppose them, to drive them from the public sphere, to marginalize their influence, to destroy their ability to grow in numbers, and ultimately to destroy the lives and careers of those who espouse such things.

Quote:
Do you believe that it would have, in some way, served to normalize racism? Similar marches in the past haven't done so; why now?

We've elected a known racist and proponent of political violence as president. These guys see this as a signal that it's their time to rise up. They literally say this! You should try listening to them instead of attacking those of us who DO listen to them.

Quote:
We know that the FBI maintains a watchful eye on their organizations and their membership, and this is right and proper.

The Trump admin doesn't give two shits about white extremism, downplays it constantly, ignores it when events happen (unless literally forced to comment), cuts funding for groups who track and fight it, and welcomes the support of avowed racists and Nazis. They literally have an avowed Nazi in their admin (Gorka). You can't say with confidence that our government is taking this seriously at this time.

Quote:

This is a more disturbing statement than your veiled threat to commit violence against racist speakers in your community as it can be achieved with anonymity, in the comfort of your kitchen and in avoidance of any consequences at all. In short, it's the sort of work a self-righteous coward can apply himself to with vigor.

You may describe me using whatever terms make you feel good about yourself and your argument, it's nothing to me. In the end, we still accomplish our goals and your criticisms mean nothing.

Quote:
Just how does someone make your list of known racists or supporters of known racists?

A few ways:

- Attending white supremacy or Nazi rallies (like the one this weekend). If you're caught on video or picture there, you're on the list. Own it when we tell your employers and your family about your penchant for hate cosplay.

- Posting racist or supremacist **** online anonymously. We doxx those people. Own it when we tell your employers and your family about your true feelings and inner hate.

- Getting caught on video using racist or bigoted speech. Same as above.

Quote:
How does your little Star Chamber decide whose careers and lives are to be ruined? What sort of tactics will you employ? Have you already been successful with any of your targets?

We use our own judgement to decide; nothing else is required, including your or anyone else's agreement with our actions. And yes, we have been successful (though I cannot personally claim to any specific success based on my direct action). There are quite a few people who have been fired once it's revealed that they are racists and supremacists. Whose families have disowned them due to the hate they espouse. Makes me happy every time I read about it.

And, I don't understand what the objection to this is. If you have an opinion that you hold strongly enough to voice it? Own it! Like to use racial slurs behind an anonymous username? Own your speech and opinions! If you're a racist, have the courage of your convictions! We're just letting everyone in your life know about it, so they can make their own judgements about how to treat you in the future.

Quote:
Your statement that you are willing to accept the consequences of using illegal means to stop racists from speaking in your community is admirable in that the vast majority of your fellow social justice warriors are clearly not...hence the masks. Should you knock out a Neo-Nazi who has come to your community to give a racist hate speech, please look into the camera that films you being taken into custody by the police and give us a sign so that we can recognize you. Given your nom de guerre, might I suggest that you point your index finger to the center of your forehead?

I absolutely would do so. Why take an action and try to escape the consequences of doing so? Now THAT would be cowardly.

I'll close by saying that I don't consider myself a 'social justice warrior.' I don't care for 'safe spaces' and I believe that the modern liberal-youth movement to silence Conservatives is wrong-headed. I don't particularly identify with those who crusade for social rights. My ONLY concern in this area is to stamp out and rid our society of the evils (and I mean that sincerely) of those who promote repugnant ideologies in our country.

White Extremists and Nazis are the western equivalent of ISIS members and Islamic extremists. I support doing whatever is necessary to keep any of these groups from achieving any sort of success in our society whatsoever. You may feel however you like about this; we're not going to stop.

Cycloptichorn