monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 07:16 pm
How cool is this? Just a few miles from where I'm sitting, in downtown Durham NC, they just pulled down a confederate statue!! Today!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/demonstrators-durham-confederate-statue_us_59923254e4b08a247276c9bf?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
snood

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 07:33 pm
layman wrote:

Is anybody surprised that Snooty is celebrating and glorifying criminal vandalism?

Tough guys, too, eh!? They kick the head of a dummy!

That's a really angry crew. I bet that statue done stold their lunch money, or sumthin.

Homeys of yours, Snooty? Is that sweathog your wife?

I'll take vandalism over the terrorism and murder you defend. And no, that nice lady said she was your momma.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 07:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
In any case, it's nice that you're not accusing Lash of being a political whore...just a racist, neo-Nazi gremlin who is devoted to disinformation for personal gratification.

Quote:

But I do expect lash is linked with others doing similar work.

Does this expectation have some sort of evidence or logical reasoning backing it up?

blatham wrote:
Perhaps read the post again. It's a tentative inference based on Lash's behavior (over many years) and knowledge of how such operations, where they are done, are done. She matches the pattern very closely. As I said, I might have this wrong but the more elegant explanation is that I have it right.

In other words: "No."

For many years now, Latham has tried very hard to represent himself as an expert on Movement Conservatives and all of their schemes and ploys. I think he fashions himself as the Efraim Zuroff of the Progressive Movement. With his vast knowledge of the right-wing mind and the long history of devious rightist conspiracies, and having had Lash on his radar for many years, he has discovered just about all of the tell tale signs of a right-wing political operative in her posts here on A2K. (If you ask nicely enough he might even share those signs with us...but I doubt it)

It's both interesting and telling that he's chosen to claim that his conclusion about Lash is supported by the principle of Occam's razor, and the word "elegant" to describe it. In this way he endeavors (or should I say labors) to impart his scurrilous slurs with a sheen of both philosophy and science.

Even if Latham's theory about Lash was the most simple and contained the least assumptions (which it is not) it wouldn't mean he was correct. There is nothing profoundly true about Occam's principle. It was meant to be a guide for problem solving that suggested that when presented with multiple competing solutions, it was generally preferable to choose the one with the least assumptions aka, the simplest. Applying Occam's razor to a problem will not guarantee arriving at the correct solution and Occam never claimed it would. It is similar to the minimalist architect Mies van der Rohe's aphorism "Less is More." It sounds clever and as if should be universal, but of course it's not.

As for "elegant," as you're likely aware, this is a term often used by scientists in describing a very cool theory. The term as used by scientists, involves not only simplicity, but cleverness or ingenuity. Again, it doesn't mean that "elegant" theories are always correct or that complex and ungainly ones never are, but for the would be scholar and political scientist Latham, it's a means to put lipstick on his pig.

0 Replies

hightor

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 07:35 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Remind me again... which side has been inciting violence?

In what context? I was specifically referring to free speech and right of assembly of the permit holders. I implied that they had the right to spew anything up to the point of inciting violence. I think this is how the law is interpreted. If a bunch of self-righteous leftist thugs got a permit to hold a demonstration they would be similarly constrained. (Personally I feel that the committing violence should be considered criminal, not advocating or inciting it, but human nature and the power of the mob make that extreme version of "free speech" impractical and dangerous.)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 07:41 pm
@layman,
I'm catching up, but did I miss where snood, edgar and setanta swooped down on izzy for posting this?

Quote:

Even an outsider like me knows that economics, (the North wanting tariffs to protect its industry while the South wanting free trade to export its raw materials more easily,) was the cause of the Civil War. The slavery issue was used later to justify it.

Or could this be sardonic izzy?
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 08:16 pm
@snood,
Got to say its cool with me, tearing down statues of traitors - especially those that were put up in the 1920's when Jim Crow got really strong.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 08:38 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Take over? 30 skin-heads with a flag? That's being over-dramatic.

Read this:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't see the part that says "unless you're a Nazi..." If you want the AntiFa people to be able to have speech and to peaceably assemble then you have to allow the dirty ******* Nazi's to do it too.

Your tolerance level has no bearing on the law. Is there any of the amendments that you don't believe are malleable around your personal opinions? Search and seizure ok as long as it's not your house? Are you OK with unusual punishments being handed out to the Nazi's as well? A little flogging ok?

To be clear, I don't seek for the government to discriminate against them, just their own fellow citizens. Nazis and white supremacists should be discriminated against in every fashion legal, and those who do so in an illegal fashion will always find a friendly juror in me.

This includes showing up to their rallies and denying them any opportunity to look like they are strong or admirable in any way. They are neither and merely prey on the fears of people. You laugh it off, but the country just elected a guy not entirely dissimilar, so it's no joke and you can expect the confrontational position to continue.

Cycloptichorn
Blickers

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 09:22 pm
@layman,
Quote layman:
Quote:
3. I pointed out that the argument for secession was irrelevant to the "symbol" issue, that's all.

You did, and you were wrong. Along the way, you also saw fit to post the usual arguments internet Confederates post, such as the North also had slave states fighting for it and that slavery was ok by the Constitution. So if you're not arguing on behalf of the Confederate states attempting to secede, why post those?

Quote:
In passing I also said it was not the "settled" issue you (irrelevantly) claimed it to be.

You did, and you were wrong. The issue of Constitutional supremacy over state law was decided decades before the South's unsuccessful attempt at secession.
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 09:37 pm
@layman,
Quote Blickers:
Quote:
Academic Schmacademic, the Supreme Court ruled on the supremacy of Federal Constitutional law vs state law decades before the The Civil War, which blew a hole in the South's excuses for attempted secession.

Quote layman:
Quote:
If you think the supremacy clause deals with (let alone "settles") that issue, you're sadly mistaken.

Of course it settles it. The state legislatures of South Carolina and the other southern states declared themselves independent of the USA, which was an action taken at the state level. The Constitution allowed no such thing, which therefore supersedes these states' attempt at secession. The only Constitutional way for any state or group of states to secede is to
A) Go to the Supreme Court and somehow have it decide that the states have this right, although where in the Constitution the Supreme Court could find justification for this is not apparent at all.

B) Have 3/4 of the states ratify a Constitutional amendment permitting a certain state or states to secede.

That's it. If you want to Constitutionally secede and you can't do A or B, all you've got left is unConstitutional means, which is force. The South tried that, failed, and they've been crying and whining about it for 150 plus years since.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Blickers

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 09:49 pm
@layman,
Quote layman:
Quote:
I meant to point out that you subvert your own claims here. If the "right to secede" was the reason for the war, then it wasn't slavery, was it?

The war was fought to prevent the South from seceding from the USA because the South claimed the institution of slavery was not being protected. Lincoln promised in his Inaugural Address that:

Quote:
I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

Even though Lincoln made this promise, the South still tried to secede because they thought the Federal government was going to take their slaves, as those southern states made exceedingly clear in their Declarations of Secessions.

Look pal, Lincoln did what he could to save the Union. He can't help how a bunch of hell-bent slavers are going to feel about anything. He can't tell them what to think, and he can't tell them what to feel. Lincoln was a President, not a right wing talk show host.
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
As I said, local regions often use the flags from the time in history when that local region was an independent power as a modern symbol of regional pride.

The Confederacy was the time in history when the south was an independent power.

Never was. The South's claim to independence lasted five years. The period of the South's actual independence lasted zero seconds.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
But even if some people use the flag for racist purposes, that does not change that others do not.

Yes, but let's look at the facts. It's the flag of a group of states who tried to secede from the USA because they felt slavery was being threatened. And the flag was adopted by those who opposed civil rights, which they wove defiantly against the early civil rights marchers. The fact there are some Southerners so oblivious to recent history that they don't understand the anti-black message of the flag does not mean that those who fervently espouse the flag are well aware of that message and approve of it.

Check the video, especially at 8:20:

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
There's a Total Solar Eclipse coming next week. That's what everyone should really be talking about. We haven't had one of those since 1979.

Are you going to go see the eclipse?

The apogee of my interest in astronomy is ninth grade. While I have no special plans to observe it, I suspect as the moment draw closer I will break down and watch.
McGentrix

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Were you part of the crowd that decided Milo, Coulter, Dawkins or Shapiro from being able to speak at Berkeley? Part of the crowd that decided they knew what speech was good speech and what speech they would allow to be heard?

Tell me, which of those speakers are Nazi's?

I think that showing up at a demonstration or seech or whatever with the intent to disrupt is really stupid and borderline criminal when injury or violence is planned.

It's shitty when the Westboro Baptists do it, it's shitty when the Klan does it at gay rally's and it's shitty when Antifa does it at anyplace they decide they don't like.

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:47 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
These attempts at false equivalence were absolutely brutal during the last election. It's as if otherwise intelligent people have completely lost their ability to make meaningful comparisons between two dissimilar objects or ways of thought.

The idea that the two parties are 'the same' is the dumbest **** ever.

Yes. It is about as intellectually lazy as it gets. Saves all the effort of making distinctions. You don't have to read or study, just spout the "both sides are the same" as an axiomatic formulation.

And, of course, it has the added benefit of solidifying and protecting previously held beliefs.

I know this is going to surprise everyone, but I don't have a problem drawing equivalency between the white supremacy thugs and the Antifa thugs that faced off this weekend in Virginia.

The primary reason for this is that I don't believe that using violence as a response to political speech (even hate filled political speech) is in any way justified or noble. It might be if the Neo-Nazi goons marching through the streets of Charlottesville shouting noxious slogans like "Blood & Soil" or "You Will Not Replace Us" actually presented a threat to our way of life or were part of a paramilitary group employed by the government or a prominent political figure in the US, but, of course, they do not. We aren't even remotely close to living in Germany of the early 1930's, and anyone suggesting we are is a hyperbolic fool. The nonsense about how the present rise of fascism in this country must be stopped now before it is to late is simply an excuse for Resistance brown shirts to indulge their violent fantasies.

Time and time again many liberals will declare that if a conservative doesn't want to see the 1st Amendment rights of even hateful people quashed, it's a clear indication that they must sympathize and agree with the miscreants. They would never level such a charge against ACLU lawyers who have actively worked to preserve the rights of Neo-Nazis and the KKK to freely assemble and spout their venom, but in their minds all conservatives are at best closet racists and so clearly, any words or actions that they can interpret as defending these groups is an admission of sharing their values. It's absurd but all too common.

I will go so far as to say that overall, the Antifa thugs engaged in violence were more repugnant and a greater threat to our society than the Neo-Nazi clowns simply marching through the streets with tiki-torches, no matter what they were all saying in unison.

Before the floodgates open and I am overwhelmed with insults and scorn, I will note that the horrendous action of the young man who apparently sought to mow down counter-demonstrators of any sort with his car is indefensible and clearly more heinous than a man in a "V" mask punching someone in the face, pepper spraying someone or hitting another person with a thrown brick, however...

It was one young man who drove his car into a crowd. His fellow Neo-Nazis or soul brothers in the KKK didn't go on a killing spree. If James T. Hodgkinson who attempted to shoot and kill numerous Republican lawmakers is not representative of members of the Resistance , than I fail to see how a case can be made that this one young man with his murderous act was representative of the groups to which he was aligned. I'm sure there are people here who disagree and if so please offer a specific explanation as to how I am wrong. I'll happily stipulate that in his vile racist views he was quite representative of the groups, but much of what Hodgkinson and his FB friends were saying and writing about Trump and Republicans bears a great resemblance to the rhetoric seen in this forum, and no less than a Democrat official declared in public that he wished Rep Scalise had not simply been wounded, but killed.

There is no evidence that the goal of the groups that traveled to Charlottesville this weekend was to engage in violence. Undoubtedly, some segment of them (quite possibly a very large segment) went there anticipating the Antifa thugs would show up and hoped there would be violence in which they might happily participate. Such miscreants are to be condemned for that and more so than for their hateful rhetoric. Violence actually draws blood and kills people, words do not.

On the other hand, there is plenty of evidence that the Antifa thugs went to Charlottesville with every intention of engaging violently with the demonstrators.

(There were, of course, essentially peaceful counter-demonstrators there and they may have outnumbered the thugs 10-1 but they are not the people I find having equivalency with the groups they came to protest. As the Neo-Nazis and Klansmen had a right to assemble and speak, obviously those who oppose them had the very same right. I find it unconscionable that law enforcement on the ground didn't take steps to keep these two groups apart and, far worse, fled the area once the scene began to head towards a riot, but that is not the fault of the counter-demonstrators or the demonstrators who were not engaged in violent acts.)

The Antifa thugs weren't young men who came to Charlottesville to peacefully, albeit vociferously, express their disgust with the white supremacists, and due to violence directed at them or even just an excess of passion, ended up throwing blows or bricks themselves. No, they were young men who came to do battle. Many, I feel certain, had seen action at Berkeley, LA, Portland and other scenes where demonstrations turned into riots, but whether veteran or greenhorn the young men in black masks and hoodies who were armed with pepper spray, tear gas, batons and bricks were in Charlottesville to shut down the demonstration through violent means.

These people (because they are not all men) are not noble social warriors who have taken on a dire threat that the authorities cannot or will not defeat. They are supremely arrogant, violent criminals who seek to impose their political views on others and suppress any speech that doesn't conform to what they believe to be acceptable. They haven't limited their thuggery to the gatherings of white supremacists. They haven't resorted to violence only to shut down loathsome racist rhetoric. Whatever one thinks of Ann Coulter, Milo Yiannopoulos, and the majority of attendees of Trump rallies, they are not the equivalents of David Duke, Richard Spencer or Thomas Robb and they are certainly not modern American Hitlers.

We've seen and heard, both here and in the wider world, self-righteous, heroes channeling their inner Lt. Aldo Raine and declaring how, given the chance, they will punch a Nazi in the face. Who here applauds this macho shite? And if you do, what gives you the right to decide who deserves a punch in the face? It's certainly not the Law. Pull such a stunt and you're likely to find yourself pleading for bail and hiring a lawyer out of your own pocket to defend you against a civil suit, and that's exactly how it should be.

A lot of comic books have been written and movies made that glorify vigilantes. The writers can very easily create characters and plots that manipulate our inherent sense of justice and lead us to seeing vigilantes as heroes. The problem is that the Batman doesn't exist, and someone like Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson's character in "Death Wish") could never exist. Even if there are people out there who can be relied upon to hurt or kill only truly evil people, we can't let them. We are a nation of laws. Without laws we live in a country where either chaos or the strongest and most ruthless reign. Laws require coercion and often violence in order for them to effective. Entrusting coercion and violence to the State is perilous enough, but it's essential if order and justice have any chance of reigning. Allowing fellow citizens to wield these forces because we happen to strongly agree that the folks upon whom they will use them are truly horrible is a short sighted folly born of conceit.

Yes, racists are terrible people, and their vitriol is, in fact, harmful to individuals and society, but people who employ violence to enforce their point of view; their will, are worse.

Will you find Antifa thugs posting hateful rhetoric about blacks, gays and women on Facebook? Probably not, but you will very likely find them posting similar shite about Trump supporters, the police, and maybe even Jews - at least the Zionist ones.

So yes there is equivalency to be found in the debacle in Charlottesville this weekend. Obviously not between James Alex Field Jr. and Heather Heyer, nor between the twisted tiki-torch bearers and the folks Heather Heyer had joined with in a peaceful counter demonstration, but you would be hard pressed to find a material difference between the men lined up before each other screaming profanity, and making displays of aggression like two opposing bands of chimps in the wild. It's impossible for me, at least, to draw meaningful distinctions between the individuals among the crowds attacking one another with clubs, pepper spray and bricks.

Unless you hold your own world view in such high esteem that you can justify lawless violence perpetrated by those who seem to share it, there was equivalency between the thugs on the streets of Charlottesville this weekend.

roger

Mon 14 Aug, 2017 11:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I know this is going to surprise everyone, but I don't have a problem drawing equivalency between the white supremacy thugs and the Antifa thugs that faced off this weekend in Virginia.

Not me.
snood

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 12:13 am
@roger,
Me too neither, Spanky.
izzythepush

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 01:24 am
Quote:
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un reviewed plans to fire missiles towards the US Pacific territory of Guam but will hold off, state media said.
Although prepared for "the enveloping fire at Guam", the North said it would watch what "the foolish Yankees" do before taking a decision.
Last week's threat against Guam escalated the sharp rhetoric being exchanged between the two sides.
This latest report points to a pause in the increasingly bitter war of words.
South Korea's President Moon Jae-in meanwhile has urged the US not to launch an attack on the Korean peninsula without its consent, saying "no one may decide to take military action without the consent" of the South.
The report on state news agency KCNA said Kim Jong-un "examined the plan for a long time" and discussed it with senior military officials.
The commander of North Korea's strategic force was now merely waiting for orders "after rounding off the preparations for the enveloping fire at Guam".
But, crucially, the report also said that Mr Kim would watch the US before making any decision, signalling an apparent deceleration in the provocative rhetoric.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40931775
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 02:02 am
I suspect the Chinese have had a private word with Mr. Kim. "Cool your jets, hot shot." They don't want to see a war, either.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 02:48 am
Quote:
Two more chief executives have resigned from President Trump's American Manufacturing Council following Charlottesville.
Intel's Brian Krzanich and Under Armour head Kevin Plank have followed Merck's Ken Frazier in leaving the council.
Following mounting pressure, President Trump denounced white supremacists groups on Monday.
A woman was killed on Saturday when a car rammed into a crowd protesting against a white supremacist rally.
After the death, Mr Trump was criticised for not specifically denouncing the far right, instead ascribing blame to "both sides".
Mr Plank sent out a tweet on Monday condemning racism.
"We are saddened by #Charlottesville. There is no place for racism or discrimination in this world. We choose love & unity."
Ten hours later Mr Plank released another statement on Under Armour's Twitter account announcing his resignation from the advisory body.
"I love our country and our company and will continue to focus my efforts on inspiring every person that they can do anything through the power of sport which promotes unity, diversity and inclusion."
Soon after, Mr Krzanich announced in a blog post on Intel's website that he too was leaving the council "to call attention to the serious harm our divided political climate is causing to critical issues, including the serious need to address the decline of American manufacturing".
"Politics and political agendas have sidelined the important mission of rebuilding America's manufacturing base."
In an earlier tweet, he had also said "there should be no hesitation in condemning hate speech or white supremacy by name".
Both men in the past have expressed some admiration for Mr Trump.
Their resignations follow the departure of Ken Frazier, the head of drug's giant Merck, and one of only a handful of black leaders of Fortune 500 companies, on Monday morning.
Other company heads have previously stepped down from presidential advisory councils in protest at Mr Trump's policies.
Former Uber chief executive Travis Kalanick left the Business Advisory Council in February over the Trump administration's immigration policies.
Tesla's chief executive Elon Musk and Walt Disney's chief executive Robert Iger left the President's Strategic and Policy Forum in June, after Mr Trump said he would withdraw from the Paris climate accord.
Mr Musk also left the manufacturing council.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40933391
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)